Melinda

Default Smokey Keemun

I got a sample of Specialteas basic everyday Keemun the other day...and I am
really surprised. It's been over a year I think since I ran out of my last
batch of keemun (a keemun mao feng...can't remember where I got it) and I
don't remember it being smokey, but I've heard people use this term when
describing keemun and I can say that yeah, this keemun I have now is indeed
just a touch smokey. I mean smokey in a Lapsang Souchong kinda way. I'm
really surprised by it though. Does anyone know why it might be this
way...do they smoke any keemun over fires in China when they produce it, or
is it only certain grades, or...? In fact, any info on keemun production
would be interesting to me, if you have it. Thanks!

Melinda

--
"I know. You know I know. I know you know I know. We know Henry knows,
and Henry knows we know it."

toci

Upton says some of the upper grades of Keemun are smokey, but doesn't
explain. Maybe the smoke from the Lapsang Souchong drifted over?? Toci
Melinda wrote:
> I got a sample of Specialteas basic everyday Keemun the other day...and I am
> really surprised. It's been over a year I think since I ran out of my last
> batch of keemun (a keemun mao feng...can't remember where I got it) and I
> don't remember it being smokey, but I've heard people use this term when
> describing keemun and I can say that yeah, this keemun I have now is indeed
> just a touch smokey. I mean smokey in a Lapsang Souchong kinda way. I'm
> really surprised by it though. Does anyone know why it might be this
> way...do they smoke any keemun over fires in China when they produce it, or
> is it only certain grades, or...? In fact, any info on keemun production
> would be interesting to me, if you have it. Thanks!
>
> Melinda
>
> --
> "I know. You know I know. I know you know I know. We know Henry knows,
> and Henry knows we know it."
> We're a knowledgeable family." ::smiles:: -Geoffrey, Lion in Winter

RJP

"Melinda" > wrote:

>I got a sample of Specialteas basic everyday Keemun the other day...and I am really surprised. It's been over a year I
>think since I ran out of my last batch of keemun (a keemun mao feng...can't remember where I got it) and I don't
>remember it being smokey, but I've heard people use this term when describing keemun and I can say that yeah, this
>keemun I have now is indeed just a touch smokey.

I agree that many Keemuns are a bit smokey, but Upton has a "Keemun Mao Feng"
that is not smokey at all - it sounds like maybe this is what you had before.
I am very partial to this tea, as I'm not fond of smokey flavors.

Incidentally, for those interested in Chinese Blacks, I just tried a couple of new
ones (also from Upton). The Sichuan Zao Bei Jian (ZK55) was smooth and
mellow, very nice. The Panyang Curled Mao Feng (ZP74) was excellent, also
smooth with a rich cocoa-like flavor. At around 8.5 cents per gram, they were
both very good values.

--
Randy
(To reply by e-mail, remove DeLeTe and SPAMFREE from my address)

Marlene Wood

Wow, I just made up a pot of my new keemun mao feng and it is indeed very
smokey. My last order from the same company was more chocolate-y than
smokey. It almost isn't the same tea!
Marlene
>I got a sample of Specialteas basic everyday Keemun the other day...and I
>am really surprised. It's been over a year I think since I ran out of my
>last batch of keemun (a keemun mao feng...can't remember where I got it)
>and I don't remember it being smokey, but I've heard people use this term
>when describing keemun and I can say that yeah, this keemun I have now is
>indeed just a touch smokey. I mean smokey in a Lapsang Souchong kinda way.
>I'm really surprised by it though. Does anyone know why it might be this
>way...do they smoke any keemun over fires in China when they produce it, or
>is it only certain grades, or...? In fact, any info on keemun production
>would be interesting to me, if you have it. Thanks!
>
> Melinda
>
> --
> "I know. You know I know. I know you know I know. We know Henry knows,
> and Henry knows we know it."
> We're a knowledgeable family." ::smiles:: -Geoffrey, Lion in Winter

Rick Chappell

RJP > wrote:
> ones (also from Upton). The Sichuan Zao Bei Jian (ZK55) was smooth and

That's long been one of my favorites. I could drink that all winter. Rick.

Keemun Ripon Tea 17 17-04-2009 02:54 AM
Old Keemun Alan Petrillo Tea 29 25-06-2007 03:00 PM
qi-men red tea vs keemun... SN Tea 5 29-08-2006 07:06 PM
Keemun jenandcleo Tea 16 27-06-2006 12:25 AM
Keemun Tea Mike Fulton Tea 2 14-07-2005 10:37 PM