Michael Plant

Tom,

The Tea Gallery is on the west side of Allen Street, about a half block
north of Delancy. A very cool place, with a profound respect for the teas
they sell.

Michael

[Tom]
> No.
> Where is it.
> I didn't know about Big Apple untill you started writing about it.

[Michael]
>> Have you visited The Tea Gallery? It's a
>> cut above.

Michael Plant

Tom,

The Tea Gallery is on the west side of Allen Street, about a half block
north of Delancy. A very cool place, with a profound respect for the teas
they sell.

Michael

[Tom]
> No.
> Where is it.
> I didn't know about Big Apple untill you started writing about it.

[Michael]
>> Have you visited The Tea Gallery? It's a
>> cut above.

Space Cowboy

I was so embarrassed I didn't stick around to notice. I'm going back
after Christmas to find out if there was a set. If anybody wants to
know we have a chain of arts and crafts stores called Michaels. Ah
censorship nothing more than a whip for politically correct hypocrites.
Plus I like to pontificate or as my critics charge pondefecate. I
feel a running string of consciousness coming on better shut it down
now. We got some new blood this year. Didn't you mention you got
kicked out of TM?

Jim

crymad wrote:
> Joseph Kubera wrote:
> >> I'm in a store yesterday looking at what I thought was a
> >> light color brown decorative ornate Yixing teapot and trying
> >> to figure out how to get the lid off and saw it was sealed
> >> with a white bead looked at the display again and noticed it
> >> was made of gingerbread.

> > Don't tell them over at Teamail, they'll be asking where to
> > buy them.

> "Does it come with gingerbread cups and saucers too?"
>
> No worry about Jim ratting out on us. His posts could never get
> past the capricious censor-squad at Teamail.
>
> --crymad

Space Cowboy

crymad wrote:
> Joseph Kubera wrote:
> >> I'm in a store yesterday looking at what I thought was a
> >> light color brown decorative ornate Yixing teapot and trying
> >> to figure out how to get the lid off and saw it was sealed
> >> with a white bead looked at the display again and noticed it
> >> was made of gingerbread.

> > Don't tell them over at Teamail, they'll be asking where to
> > buy them.

> "Does it come with gingerbread cups and saucers too?"
>
> No worry about Jim ratting out on us. His posts could never get
> past the capricious censor-squad at Teamail.
>
> --crymad

Joseph Kubera

>No worry about Jim ratting out on us. His posts could never get
>past the capricious censor-squad at Teamail.

Speaking of which, I haven't gotten a digest from them since 12/19, and have
seen none of that workers'-rights stuff Michael talks about.

Maybe I've been unceremoniously dropped!!

Joe
The Laughing Rat

"Joseph Kubera" > wrote in message

> Speaking of which, I haven't gotten a digest from them since 12/19, and

have
> seen none of that workers'-rights stuff Michael talks about.
>
> Maybe I've been unceremoniously dropped!!
>
> Joe

It's just been a bit slow over there lately is all.

Jennifer (Sherlock Jr., Laughingrat, call me what you like but don't call me
late for--oh, never mind)

The Laughing Rat

"Joseph Kubera" > wrote in message

> Speaking of which, I haven't gotten a digest from them since 12/19, and

have
> seen none of that workers'-rights stuff Michael talks about.
>
> Maybe I've been unceremoniously dropped!!
>
> Joe

It's just been a bit slow over there lately is all.

Jennifer (Sherlock Jr., Laughingrat, call me what you like but don't call me
late for--oh, never mind)

Lewis Perin

"The Laughing Rat" > writes:

> [...]
>
> Jennifer (Sherlock Jr., Laughingrat, call me what you like but don't call me
> late for--oh, never mind)

Tea.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Joseph Kubera

>>The Tea Gallery is on the west side of Allen Street, about a half block
>>north of Delancy. A very cool place, with a profound respect for the teas
>>they sell.

Just be aware that TG is not a tea house per se (i.e., not set up with multiple
tables and wait staff), but they are usually happy to make tea for interested
customers.

Joe
(who was happy to receive a packet of TG's Bai Ji Guan for Christmas)

Joseph Kubera

>>The Tea Gallery is on the west side of Allen Street, about a half block
>>north of Delancy. A very cool place, with a profound respect for the teas
>>they sell.

Just be aware that TG is not a tea house per se (i.e., not set up with multiple
tables and wait staff), but they are usually happy to make tea for interested
customers.

Joe
(who was happy to receive a packet of TG's Bai Ji Guan for Christmas)

Natarajan Krishnaswami

In article >, Michael Plant wrote:
> BTW, we're talking about workers' and children's rights over there,
> which is a good place to do it because there are so many vendors
> listening in.

Speaking of which, you may be interested in Tazo & Mercy Corps' CHAI
Program:
<URI:http://www.mercycorps.org/items/2185/>

"A partnership between Portland-based Tazo Tea and Mercy Corps is
improving health care and agriculture in India's impoverished
Darjeeling region."

They're also collecting for quake relief for the recent Indian Ocean
monster quake:
<URI:http://www.mercycorps.org/items/2280/>

N.
Mydnight

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 21:25:22 GMT, Rebecca Ore
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Mydnight > wrote:

>> Keep in mind that just because a person is Chinese that doesn't make
>> them the knowall when it comes to Chinese things or even Chinese
>> culture. Many younger people in China have little knowledge of tea or
>> other things.

>I'm aware of that. But it was interesting to hear what she was saying
>(mostly about tea's medicinal qualities) and which tea pots she thought
>were the most attractive. She was buying a pot and cups and was also
>complaining that all these things would have been going for $1 a piece
>in China as opposed to $4 to $5 here. So, she's drinking tea but
>perhaps with not much more thought than Americans drink coffee.

The stuff here is much more expensive than over there, that's for
sure. But 5 bucks is extremely cheap for a pot regardless. There are
so many small nuances to know about tea that it really requires time
and patience to learn about it. Tea will never develop the Starbucks
culture that coffee has. I kinda dig it that way.

I know a little about some of the medicinal properties...most tea is
good for you! heh. Anyway, how old is your friend?

>The pattern I've seen in Philadelphia's Chinese shops is that gaiwans
>aren't available all the time, and aren't as available as covered cups.
>Yixing labelled pots show up at prices between $5 and $14. But a lot of
>the tea is bagged and there's a fair amount of loose leaf pu'er
>available (I haven't been back to see if there are any of the wooden
>boxed cakes left).

I think that would be partly because I guess many people prefer to use
the pots to brew their good teas instead of a gaiwan. Gaiwan use
sorta requires more work and diligence. heh.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

pilo_

In article >,
Mydnight > wrote:

> Tea will never develop the Starbucks
> culture that coffee has. I kinda dig it that way.

you and me both. while tea hardly qualifies for
cult status, it being the 2nd most consumed bev in the world after water
and all, it still feels like an alt sort of thing. so may it
remain......p*
pilo_

In article >,
Mydnight > wrote:

> Tea will never develop the Starbucks
> culture that coffee has. I kinda dig it that way.

you and me both. while tea hardly qualifies for
cult status, it being the 2nd most consumed bev in the world after water
and all, it still feels like an alt sort of thing. so may it
remain......p*
Mydnight

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 06:51:56 GMT, pilo_ > wrote:

>In article >,
> Mydnight > wrote:
>
>> Tea will never develop the Starbucks
>> culture that coffee has. I kinda dig it that way.

>you and me both. while tea hardly qualifies for
>cult status, it being the 2nd most consumed bev in the world after water
>and all, it still feels like an alt sort of thing. so may it
>remain......p*

just feels different doesn't it? even when i drink some good Earl
Grey or Darjeeling in a shop somewhere, you still get stares when you
ask for 'tea'.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Mydnight

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 06:51:56 GMT, pilo_ > wrote:

>In article >,
> Mydnight > wrote:
>
>> Tea will never develop the Starbucks
>> culture that coffee has. I kinda dig it that way.

>you and me both. while tea hardly qualifies for
>cult status, it being the 2nd most consumed bev in the world after water
>and all, it still feels like an alt sort of thing. so may it
>remain......p*

just feels different doesn't it? even when i drink some good Earl
Grey or Darjeeling in a shop somewhere, you still get stares when you
ask for 'tea'.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Mydnight

>She was about 20 or 21, maybe younger, a student who started talking to
>me in the store. I teach people that age for a living so I'm aware that
>the sophistication they want to show and the sophistication they have
>often diverge.

hehe. There's about a 80 percent chance that she knows little about
tea. The only youth I ran into in China that knew anything were the
ones that worked in the shops. The modern and popular thing to do now
is to go to Starbucks...it's taking over! But I don't to sound like a
know-it-all or anything...hell, I'm only 25 but impassioned about tea.
heh

>> >The pattern I've seen in Philadelphia's Chinese shops is that gaiwans
>> >aren't available all the time, and aren't as available as covered cups.
>> >Yixing labelled pots show up at prices between $5 and $14. But a lot of
>> >the tea is bagged and there's a fair amount of loose leaf pu'er
>> >available (I haven't been back to see if there are any of the wooden
>> >boxed cakes left).

>I was back and got a TWG and a biluochun which it looked like from
>Google that people were discussing now. I overheated the biluochan and
>will try cooler water next time. The pu'er cake tea is better than the
>Specialteas' mini-birds nests and lighter in the cup.

A general rule for most greens is just below boiling; 95-98 they say.

>The bilouchun came in a green metal can with a locking metal lid, but
>the instructions were to preheat the tea vessels and pour boiling water
>over the tea and that it could be seeped 3-4 times. This looks like
>it's becoming the generic Chinese export tea advice. The cost was about
>$8.

Many such teas can easily be found with sometimes choppy English that
makes no sense on the box. It just comes down to whoever knows any
English at the factory is the translator. Makes for some interesting
labelling sometimes.

>They're easier to clean than pots, though. I saw some for $3 in the
>Center City Chinese supermarket -- I think the ones out at the Hong Kong
>on Rising Sun and Adams were priced a bit higher (perhaps because nobody
>can do comparison shopping out there as easily as in Chinatown.

It's true, but not everyone knows how to properly use one or even what
it's for exactly.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

Mydnight

>She was about 20 or 21, maybe younger, a student who started talking to
>me in the store. I teach people that age for a living so I'm aware that
>the sophistication they want to show and the sophistication they have
>often diverge.

hehe. There's about a 80 percent chance that she knows little about
tea. The only youth I ran into in China that knew anything were the
ones that worked in the shops. The modern and popular thing to do now
is to go to Starbucks...it's taking over! But I don't to sound like a
know-it-all or anything...hell, I'm only 25 but impassioned about tea.
heh

>> >The pattern I've seen in Philadelphia's Chinese shops is that gaiwans
>> >aren't available all the time, and aren't as available as covered cups.
>> >Yixing labelled pots show up at prices between $5 and $14. But a lot of
>> >the tea is bagged and there's a fair amount of loose leaf pu'er
>> >available (I haven't been back to see if there are any of the wooden
>> >boxed cakes left).

>I was back and got a TWG and a biluochun which it looked like from
>Google that people were discussing now. I overheated the biluochan and
>will try cooler water next time. The pu'er cake tea is better than the
>Specialteas' mini-birds nests and lighter in the cup.

A general rule for most greens is just below boiling; 95-98 they say.

>The bilouchun came in a green metal can with a locking metal lid, but
>the instructions were to preheat the tea vessels and pour boiling water
>over the tea and that it could be seeped 3-4 times. This looks like
>it's becoming the generic Chinese export tea advice. The cost was about
>$8.

Many such teas can easily be found with sometimes choppy English that
makes no sense on the box. It just comes down to whoever knows any
English at the factory is the translator. Makes for some interesting
labelling sometimes.

>They're easier to clean than pots, though. I saw some for $3 in the
>Center City Chinese supermarket -- I think the ones out at the Hong Kong
>on Rising Sun and Adams were priced a bit higher (perhaps because nobody
>can do comparison shopping out there as easily as in Chinatown.

It's true, but not everyone knows how to properly use one or even what
it's for exactly.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Melinda

Rebecca, please help me if I'm being obtuse (and I am) but what is TWG?
Thanks!

Melinda

> I was back and got a TWG and a biluochun which it looked like from
> Google that people were discussing now. I overheated the biluochan and
> will try cooler water next time. The pu'er cake tea is better than the
> Specialteas' mini-birds nests and lighter in the cup.

Melinda

Rebecca, please help me if I'm being obtuse (and I am) but what is TWG?
Thanks!

Melinda

> I was back and got a TWG and a biluochun which it looked like from
> Google that people were discussing now. I overheated the biluochan and
> will try cooler water next time. The pu'er cake tea is better than the
> Specialteas' mini-birds nests and lighter in the cup.

Michael Plant

much snipping of other topics

[Mydnight]
> A general rule for most greens is just below boiling; 95-98 they say.

I'd differ here, although it's not without controversy. Bi Lo Chuns, Long
Jings, Senchas, Gyokuros, and others of the most delicate types want a
temperature far below that. I think in Fahrenheit, so I'd say 125-150 would
work fine depending on the green tea. In any event, it would be the rare
green tea that I would brew much above 180. Sorry about not translating this
into Centrigrade. (Fahrenheit puts water to boil at 212 and freezes it at
32.)

BTW, I've gotten excellent results from Senchas at room temperature, which
is why they make such nice teas for the road.

Michael

Michael Plant

much snipping of other topics

[Mydnight]
> A general rule for most greens is just below boiling; 95-98 they say.

I'd differ here, although it's not without controversy. Bi Lo Chuns, Long
Jings, Senchas, Gyokuros, and others of the most delicate types want a
temperature far below that. I think in Fahrenheit, so I'd say 125-150 would
work fine depending on the green tea. In any event, it would be the rare
green tea that I would brew much above 180. Sorry about not translating this
into Centrigrade. (Fahrenheit puts water to boil at 212 and freezes it at
32.)

BTW, I've gotten excellent results from Senchas at room temperature, which
is why they make such nice teas for the road.

Michael

Mydnight

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 12:05:17 GMT, Michael Plant >
wrote:

>much snipping of other topics
>
>[Mydnight]
>> A general rule for most greens is just below boiling; 95-98 they say.

>I'd differ here, although it's not without controversy. Bi Lo Chuns, Long
>Jings, Senchas, Gyokuros, and others of the most delicate types want a
>temperature far below that. I think in Fahrenheit, so I'd say 125-150 would
>work fine depending on the green tea. In any event, it would be the rare
>green tea that I would brew much above 180. Sorry about not translating this
>into Centrigrade. (Fahrenheit puts water to boil at 212 and freezes it at
>32.)

I was actually meaning Centigrade and it was told to me that 95-98 C
(being 203-208 F) was a good temp to brew these sorts of teas by some
shopkeepers. I am starting to lean closer into what you said, though,
because too hot and it kills the taste, but I have had success at the
temps that I was mentioning.

>BTW, I've gotten excellent results from Senchas at room temperature, which
>is why they make such nice teas for the road.

I have as well. When traveling in India the past 2 or 3 weeks, I took
some LJ and some Sencha with me to tide me over until my return. I
was able to brew the Sencha using the hot water spicket on a water
cooler but not the LJ.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Mydnight

wrote:

>much snipping of other topics
>
>[Mydnight]
>> A general rule for most greens is just below boiling; 95-98 they say.

>I'd differ here, although it's not without controversy. Bi Lo Chuns, Long
>Jings, Senchas, Gyokuros, and others of the most delicate types want a
>temperature far below that. I think in Fahrenheit, so I'd say 125-150 would
>work fine depending on the green tea. In any event, it would be the rare
>green tea that I would brew much above 180. Sorry about not translating this
>into Centrigrade. (Fahrenheit puts water to boil at 212 and freezes it at
>32.)

I was actually meaning Centigrade and it was told to me that 95-98 C
(being 203-208 F) was a good temp to brew these sorts of teas by some
shopkeepers. I am starting to lean closer into what you said, though,
because too hot and it kills the taste, but I have had success at the
temps that I was mentioning.

>BTW, I've gotten excellent results from Senchas at room temperature, which
>is why they make such nice teas for the road.

I have as well. When traveling in India the past 2 or 3 weeks, I took
some LJ and some Sencha with me to tide me over until my return. I
was able to brew the Sencha using the hot water spicket on a water
cooler but not the LJ.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Mydnight

>I was actually meaning Centigrade and it was told to me that 95-98 C
>(being 203-208 F) was a good temp to brew these sorts of teas by some
>shopkeepers. I am starting to lean closer into what you said, though,
>because too hot and it kills the taste, but I have had success at the
>temps that I was mentioning.

Let me sorta reiterate...I basically mean just below boiling.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Mydnight

>I was actually meaning Centigrade and it was told to me that 95-98 C
>(being 203-208 F) was a good temp to brew these sorts of teas by some
>shopkeepers. I am starting to lean closer into what you said, though,
>because too hot and it kills the taste, but I have had success at the
>temps that I was mentioning.

Let me sorta reiterate...I basically mean just below boiling.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Michael Plant

1/4/05

> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 12:05:17 GMT, Michael Plant >
> wrote:
>
>> much snipping of other topics
>>
>> [Mydnight]
>>> A general rule for most greens is just below boiling; 95-98 they say.

[Michael]
>> I'd differ here, although it's not without controversy. Bi Lo Chuns, Long
>> Jings, Senchas, Gyokuros, and others of the most delicate types want a
>> temperature far below that. I think in Fahrenheit, so I'd say 125-150 would
>> work fine depending on the green tea. In any event, it would be the rare
>> green tea that I would brew much above 180. Sorry about not translating this
>> into Centrigrade. (Fahrenheit puts water to boil at 212 and freezes it at
>> 32.)

[Mydnight]
> I was actually meaning Centigrade and it was told to me that 95-98 C
> (being 203-208 F) was a good temp to brew these sorts of teas by some
> shopkeepers. I am starting to lean closer into what you said, though,
> because too hot and it kills the taste, but I have had success at the
> temps that I was mentioning.

[Michael]
Yes, I know you meant centigrade. I was saying it's too high, of course IMO.
Worth experimenting downward to see if you can pull more out of the tea.

[Michael]
>> BTW, I've gotten excellent results from Senchas at room temperature, which
>> is why they make such nice teas for the road.

[Mydnight]
> I have as well. When traveling in India the past 2 or 3 weeks, I took
> some LJ and some Sencha with me to tide me over until my return. I
> was able to brew the Sencha using the hot water spicket on a water
> cooler but not the LJ.

[Michael]
That makes sense. Only the freshest, newest LJ's are amenable to such
treatment, if at all. In general, to my mind, the more nuance from aroma
through aftertaste, the better.

Michael

Michael Plant

1/4/05

> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 12:05:17 GMT, Michael Plant >
> wrote:
>
>> much snipping of other topics
>>
>> [Mydnight]
>>> A general rule for most greens is just below boiling; 95-98 they say.

[Michael]
>> I'd differ here, although it's not without controversy. Bi Lo Chuns, Long
>> Jings, Senchas, Gyokuros, and others of the most delicate types want a
>> temperature far below that. I think in Fahrenheit, so I'd say 125-150 would
>> work fine depending on the green tea. In any event, it would be the rare
>> green tea that I would brew much above 180. Sorry about not translating this
>> into Centrigrade. (Fahrenheit puts water to boil at 212 and freezes it at
>> 32.)

[Mydnight]
> I was actually meaning Centigrade and it was told to me that 95-98 C
> (being 203-208 F) was a good temp to brew these sorts of teas by some
> shopkeepers. I am starting to lean closer into what you said, though,
> because too hot and it kills the taste, but I have had success at the
> temps that I was mentioning.

[Michael]
Yes, I know you meant centigrade. I was saying it's too high, of course IMO.
Worth experimenting downward to see if you can pull more out of the tea.

[Michael]
>> BTW, I've gotten excellent results from Senchas at room temperature, which
>> is why they make such nice teas for the road.

[Mydnight]
> I have as well. When traveling in India the past 2 or 3 weeks, I took
> some LJ and some Sencha with me to tide me over until my return. I
> was able to brew the Sencha using the hot water spicket on a water
> cooler but not the LJ.

[Michael]
That makes sense. Only the freshest, newest LJ's are amenable to such
treatment, if at all. In general, to my mind, the more nuance from aroma
through aftertaste, the better.

Michael

Lewis Perin

Rebecca Ore > writes:

> [...]
> In the Tung Ting head to head, Hsin Tung Yang Tungding oolong compared
> to the Specialteas' sample. Someone posted here that the older Tie Guan
> Yins weren't pelleted the way current Tie Guan Yins are -- and that this
> is a sign of using machinery invented in Taiwan for mass-produced teas.
> All the teas that had the smokey/burnt overtone were pelleted and in the
> $4 to $5 for a quarter pound range (the can I've copied the
> Tungding/tung ting information from held 200 grams). Given that they've
> all been in the same form factor (as the computer people say), and this
> appears to be associated with machine production, I'll stick to teas
> from folks who appear to work the machines better (good guess that Sea
> Dyke also uses the machine for its Tie Guan Yin, but the one in the can
> inside the box tends to be reliable if not always up to the better TGYs
> that I've bought from tea shops in town).

I know you didn't say it, but someone reading the above without being
really careful could come away thinking oolongs are machine-made if
and only if they're tightly wrapped pellets. I think it's safe to
assume that penny-a-gram brands like Sea Dyke are machine-made, and
some of their varieties aren't pelletized; also there are hand-made
pelletized oolongs, including of course TGYs.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Lewis Perin