Lawrence Gilburtson

Default Looking for good stilton cheese to order

Hello, I am looking for a good place to order Stilton Cheese...online or
off..as long as it is good stuff and not a rip off....any
suggestions..........thanks..
LG

JLove98905

This may sound trite, but have you checked out www.cheese.com?

I haven't ever bought anything from that site....but I've always been curious
about the quality and value. Anyone have experience here?
-Jen

Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Anne Bourget

"Lawrence Gilburtson" > wrote in message news:<FgEPb.117116$I06.818643@attbi_s01>...
> Hello, I am looking for a good place to order Stilton Cheese...online or
> off..as long as it is good stuff and not a rip off....any
> suggestions..........thanks..
> LG

If you want good Stilton you are going to have to pay for it. I am
partial to Colston Bassett, which I purchase locally (Sacramento) from
Corti Brothers grocery store. Corti's gets it from Neal's Yard Dairy
in London. Information such as where you live would be helpful. I
think that Zingerman's in Ann Arbor carries Colston Bassett's and
ship. I also get this cheese (and many others) from the Cheese Board
in Berkeley, California. Hold out for Colston Bassett though. It is
heavenly with a glass of port.
Charles Gifford

"Anne Bourget" > wrote in message
om...

> If you want good Stilton you are going to have to pay for it. I am
> partial to Colston Bassett, which I purchase locally (Sacramento) from
> Corti Brothers grocery store. Corti's gets it from Neal's Yard Dairy
> in London. Information such as where you live would be helpful. I
> think that Zingerman's in Ann Arbor carries Colston Bassett's and
> ship. I also get this cheese (and many others) from the Cheese Board
> in Berkeley, California. Hold out for Colston Bassett though. It is
> heavenly with a glass of port.

I have some Colston Bassett in my refrigerator at the moment. Got it at
Trader Joe's. I agree that it is a very good Stilton.

Charlie Liam

Lawrence Gilburtson

thank you all so much for the info....this is just what I was looking
for...many many thanks...am living north of Puittsburgh by the way and the
places that carry cheese at the strip market only carry the same thing I can
get at the local suupermarket......darn!!!

will be placing an order for this from somewhere.....hooray..
LG

"Anne Bourget" > wrote in message
om...
> "Lawrence Gilburtson" > wrote in message

> > Hello, I am looking for a good place to order Stilton Cheese...online or
> > off..as long as it is good stuff and not a rip off....any
> > suggestions..........thanks..
> > LG

> If you want good Stilton you are going to have to pay for it. I am
> partial to Colston Bassett, which I purchase locally (Sacramento) from
> Corti Brothers grocery store. Corti's gets it from Neal's Yard Dairy
> in London. Information such as where you live would be helpful. I
> think that Zingerman's in Ann Arbor carries Colston Bassett's and
> ship. I also get this cheese (and many others) from the Cheese Board
> in Berkeley, California. Hold out for Colston Bassett though. It is
> heavenly with a glass of port.

alzelt

Charles Gifford wrote:
> "Anne Bourget" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>If you want good Stilton you are going to have to pay for it. I am
>>partial to Colston Bassett, which I purchase locally (Sacramento) from
>>Corti Brothers grocery store. Corti's gets it from Neal's Yard Dairy
>>in London. Information such as where you live would be helpful. I
>>think that Zingerman's in Ann Arbor carries Colston Bassett's and
>>ship. I also get this cheese (and many others) from the Cheese Board
>>in Berkeley, California. Hold out for Colston Bassett though. It is
>>heavenly with a glass of port.

> I have some Colston Bassett in my refrigerator at the moment. Got it at
> Trader Joe's. I agree that it is a very good Stilton.
>
> Charlie Liam

Well, not to turn you too green with envy, Chas, will be heading over to
Sheffield in a couple of weeks and will pick up some Stilton. Then off
to Holland and will squeeze in some edam balls. Oh, and I guess for the
SBF, some wine gums and more tins of Twinings Earl Gray. It is a bummer
that the dollar has fallen so hard. A bargain is indeed, hard to find now.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Charles Gifford

"alzelt" > wrote in message

> Charles Gifford wrote:
> > I have some Colston Bassett in my refrigerator at the moment. Got it at
> > Trader Joe's. I agree that it is a very good Stilton.
> >
> > Charlie Liam
> >

> Well, not to turn you too green with envy, Chas, will be heading over to
> Sheffield in a couple of weeks and will pick up some Stilton.

Too late. I am now green. I hope you have good luck with the Stilton. The
best English cheese I've had in a long while as a big chunk of Farmhouse
4-year-old Cheddar. It was spectacular.

> Then off
> to Holland and will squeeze in some edam balls.

Ooooh! I'll bet Edam will love it. I had a smoked edam once and didn't much
care for it. I like a young edam for some reason.

> Oh, and I guess for the
> SBF, some wine gums and more tins of Twinings Earl Gray.

I wish her well in both endevors.

> It is a bummer
> that the dollar has fallen so hard. A bargain is indeed, hard to find now.
> --
> Alan

Well yes. But at least you are going.

Charliam, green

Charles Gifford

> thank you all so much for the info....this is just what I was looking
> for...many many thanks...am living north of Puittsburgh by the way and the
> places that carry cheese at the strip market only carry the same thing I

can
> get at the local suupermarket......darn!!!
>
> will be placing an order for this from somewhere.....hooray..
> LG

You might want to order from http://www.idealcheese.com I have ordered from
them with great satisfaction in service. The shipping cost is frightening
however.

Charlie

Lawrence Gilburtson

thanks, I will check it out!
LG
"Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
hlink.net...

> "Lawrence Gilburtson" > wrote in message
> > thank you all so much for the info....this is just what I was looking
> > for...many many thanks...am living north of Puittsburgh by the way and

the
> > places that carry cheese at the strip market only carry the same thing I

> can
> > get at the local suupermarket......darn!!!
> >
> > will be placing an order for this from somewhere.....hooray..
> > LG

> You might want to order from http://www.idealcheese.com I have ordered

from
> them with great satisfaction in service. The shipping cost is frightening
> however.
>
> Charlie

Janice Sadowski

My favorite cheese source is Formaggio Kitchen in Cambridge, MA - it
is an incredible experience to go there, learn, and sample. They do
have a website with limited offerings of artisan cheeses.......

www.formaggiokitchen.com

Janice

Boron Elgar

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 10:55:54 -0500, Janice Sadowski
> wrote:

>My favorite cheese source is Formaggio Kitchen in Cambridge, MA - it
>is an incredible experience to go there, learn, and sample. They do
>have a website with limited offerings of artisan cheeses.......
>
>www.formaggiokitchen.com
>

>Janice

I am coming in late to this thread, so excuse me if I repeat something
already posted, but there is a wonderful cheese seller in Manhattan
(several, actually), but this one has a full web presence - Artisan al
Cheese. Not cheap, by any means, but fine cheeses rarely are.

http://www.artisanalcheese.com/cheese/ac_intro.cfm

Boron
Lawrence Gilburtson

these are great resources....I am definitely going to be lloking forward to
the Colston and Bassett........yum yum....LG