HUTCHNDI

Default Artisan Bread DVD

Just a heads up on this King Arthur DVD.
Anyone out there as new to bread baking as I am could do worse than shelling
out the 20 bucks for this DVD. I just got it this morning, I ordered it
because I was having a tough time grasping concepts from books and posts.
The featured baker never mentions sourdough, but artisan breads from a
poolish are shown quite nicely. Boule, baguette,and basket risen are all
there.
Being able to see what high hydration dough is supposed to look and handle
like in a DVD as opposed to a still picture or a description is like night
and day. It appears I have been adding way to much flour, I use cups, and I
dig down into the bin compressing the flour. I haven't been letting the
gluten relax enough before proceeding to the next steps, and hand kneading
of the wet dough is allot different than what I have been fighting with. A
tip about steam in the oven is nice also. A cast iron frying pan is used,
filled with lava rocks for more heating surface, the steam is intense.

I am sure it would be worthless to any of you seasoned bakers, but to
someone like me, I am glad I spent the cash.

Hutchndi

Steve B

"HUTCHNDI" > wrote in message
> Just a heads up on this King Arthur DVD....

An excellent, though quite pricey, three video set is "Bread & Baker: From
the Source", available from The Bread Baker's Guild of America at the
member's price of USD198.00. It devotes an entire video to french sourdough
(pain au levain) and rye (pain de seigle) breads.

- Steve Brandt

Hutchini,

Thanks for the heads up. Did they work with whole wheat flours at all?
Or did they most use their signature artisan flour?

I looked at the web-site but did not see a table of contents.

Thanks.
Vicki

HUTCHNDI wrote:
> Just a heads up on this King Arthur DVD.
> Anyone out there as new to bread baking as I am could do worse than

shelling
> out the 20 bucks for this DVD. I just got it this morning, I ordered

it
> because I was having a tough time grasping concepts from books and

posts.
> The featured baker never mentions sourdough, but artisan breads from

> poolish are shown quite nicely. Boule, baguette,and basket risen are

all
> there.
> Being able to see what high hydration dough is supposed to look and

handle
> like in a DVD as opposed to a still picture or a description is like

night
> and day. It appears I have been adding way to much flour, I use cups,

and I
> dig down into the bin compressing the flour. I haven't been letting

the
> gluten relax enough before proceeding to the next steps, and hand

kneading
> of the wet dough is allot different than what I have been fighting

with. A
> tip about steam in the oven is nice also. A cast iron frying pan is

used,
> filled with lava rocks for more heating surface, the steam is

intense.

> I am sure it would be worthless to any of you seasoned bakers, but to
> someone like me, I am glad I spent the cash.
>
> Hutchndi

HUTCHNDI

Hutchini? (poof)!

No, just plain all purpose unbleached. They keep to a single recipe of four
ingredients, the flour, water yeast and salt, they only use an eighth of a
teaspoon of yeast in the poolish, stressing the importance of using such a
small amount to let the flavors build, but then they go ahead and add more
yeast when making the dough. Switching to sourdough is easy enough to figure
in, what with all the info this group is so generous with. Its not a very
long DVD, an hour or so, so they don't get into different flours or methods,
they make all the featured breads from segments of the same batch of dough.
And as would be expected, you see allot of the stuff from their catalogue in
the process. Not having any opportunity to see anybody doing this live, it
makes for a pretty worthwhile "class".

Hutchndi

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hutchini,
>
> Thanks for the heads up. Did they work with whole wheat flours at all?
> Or did they most use their signature artisan flour?
>
> I looked at the web-site but did not see a table of contents.
>
> Thanks.
> Vicki
>

> HUTCHNDI wrote:
> > Just a heads up on this King Arthur DVD.
> > Anyone out there as new to bread baking as I am could do worse than

> shelling
> > out the 20 bucks for this DVD. I just got it this morning, I ordered

> it
> > because I was having a tough time grasping concepts from books and

> posts.
> > The featured baker never mentions sourdough, but artisan breads from

> > poolish are shown quite nicely. Boule, baguette,and basket risen are

> all
> > there.
> > Being able to see what high hydration dough is supposed to look and

> handle
> > like in a DVD as opposed to a still picture or a description is like

> night
> > and day. It appears I have been adding way to much flour, I use cups,

> and I
> > dig down into the bin compressing the flour. I haven't been letting

> the
> > gluten relax enough before proceeding to the next steps, and hand

> kneading
> > of the wet dough is allot different than what I have been fighting

> with. A
> > tip about steam in the oven is nice also. A cast iron frying pan is

> used,
> > filled with lava rocks for more heating surface, the steam is

> intense.
> >
> > I am sure it would be worthless to any of you seasoned bakers, but to
> > someone like me, I am glad I spent the cash.
> >
> > Hutchndi

HUTCHNDI

"Steve B" > wrote in message
> "HUTCHNDI" > wrote in message
> > Just a heads up on this King Arthur DVD....

> An excellent, though quite pricey, three video set is "Bread & Baker: From
> the Source", available from The Bread Baker's Guild of America at the
> member's price of USD198.00. It devotes an entire video to french

sourdough
> (pain au levain) and rye (pain de seigle) breads.
>
> - Steve Brandt

198.00?
I think I will check the local video store for a rental. Thanks though.

Hutchndi

Will

On 2/12/05 12:45 AM, "HUTCHNDI" > wrote:

> "Steve B" > wrote in message
>> "HUTCHNDI" > wrote in message
>>> Just a heads up on this King Arthur DVD....

>> An excellent, though quite pricey, three video set is "Bread & Baker: From
>> the Source", available from The Bread Baker's Guild of America at the
>> member's price of USD198.00. It devotes an entire video to french

> sourdough
>> (pain au levain) and rye (pain de seigle) breads.
>>
>> - Steve Brandt
>>

> 198.00?
> I think I will check the local video store for a rental. Thanks though.
>
> Hutchndi

You might try your local library. The Dick Adam's theory of "obstainancy"
holds stead here. There's a surprising of amount of great stuff located in
their reference materials. And they are always linked to larger intra-state
loan systems.

Also, libraries have a strong tendency to purchase material if the "patron"
shows enthusiasm and builds a good case for the acquisition. Our system
happily purchased Hamelman's book when I pointed out how many "reserve
holds" the last Peter Reinhart book accumulated. It is easy for them to
check circulation numbers in any area of their catalog and add books in
strong interest areas.

Will

Dick Adams

"Will" > wrote in message =
news:mailman.20.1108222427.30360.rec.food.sourdoug ...=

> The Dick Adams' theory of "obstainancy" holds stead here.

Obstaination, not obstainancy.

Actually, the concept is attributable to Samartha.

Samartha Deva

Will wrote:
> On 2/12/05 12:45 AM, "HUTCHNDI" > wrote:
>

>>"Steve B" > wrote in message
>>
>>>"HUTCHNDI" > wrote in message

>>>An excellent, though quite pricey, three video set is "Bread & Baker: From
>>>the Source", available from The Bread Baker's Guild of America at the
>>>member's price of USD198.00. It devotes an entire video to french

>>sourdough
>>
>>>(pain au levain) and rye (pain de seigle) breads.
>>>
>>>- Steve Brandt
>>>

>>198.00?
>>I think I will check the local video store for a rental. Thanks though.

Good luck - any video store making his money on movie DVD's with a price
somewhere between $ 10 and $ 20 will probably see the $ 198.00 as very
unattractive. What would be the audience?

Similar, if you would ask your local library for a $ 200.- specialized
item. Maybe at university research libraries, if you get access. Will
says below it's possible.

>>Hutchndi

> You might try your local library. The Dick Adam's theory of "obstainancy"
> holds stead here. There's a surprising of amount of great stuff located in
> their reference materials. And they are always linked to larger intra-state
> loan systems.
>
> Also, libraries have a strong tendency to purchase material if the "patron"
> shows enthusiasm and builds a good case for the acquisition. Our system
> happily purchased Hamelman's book when I pointed out how many "reserve
> holds" the last Peter Reinhart book accumulated. It is easy for them to
> check circulation numbers in any area of their catalog and add books in
> strong interest areas.

In which country do you live? You are lucky, in Boulder/CO, there was
great fuss recently because they reduced library hours due to funding
issues.

This may help too:
(pumpernicels are a joke)
http://www.pbs.org/juliachild/

It's hard to navigate, go the

http://www.pbs.org/juliachild/video.html

then select "Bread and baked Goods"
- "any ingredient"
- "any chef"
- Series "Cooking With Master Chefs"

and you can watch Nancy Silvertons grape hulabaloo

search only with opion Joe Ortiz - Decorative Sourdough loafs

search for bread and everything else set to "any" - you get a lot.

Have fun!

Samartha

HUTCHNDI

Hey, these are interesting, though they are rather blurred. I will be
visiting these videos for a while. Good tip Samartha.

Thanks, Hutchndi

Samartha wrote:

> This may help too:
> (pumpernicels are a joke)
> http://www.pbs.org/juliachild/
>
> It's hard to navigate, go the
>
> http://www.pbs.org/juliachild/video.html
>
> then select "Bread and baked Goods"
> - "any ingredient"
> - "any chef"
> - Series "Cooking With Master Chefs"
>
> and you can watch Nancy Silvertons grape hulabaloo
>
> search only with opion Joe Ortiz - Decorative Sourdough loafs
>
> search for bread and everything else set to "any" - you get a lot.
>
> Have fun!
>
> Samartha

Will

Will wrote:

>> Also, libraries have a strong tendency to purchase material if the "patron"
>> shows enthusiasm and builds a good case for the acquisition. Our system
>> happily purchased Hamelman's book when I pointed out how many "reserve
>> holds" the last Peter Reinhart book accumulated. It is easy for them to
>> check circulation numbers in any area of their catalog and add books in
>> strong interest areas.

Samartha replied...

> In which country do you live? You are lucky, in Boulder/CO, there was
> great fuss recently because they reduced library hours due to funding
> issues.

Will answered...

Sometimes it is nice to live in a place where taxes are not evil. I live in
Madison, Wisconsin. The natives have this concept quaintly called: "The
Wisconsin Idea". Google it.

Will

Ulrike Westphal

"Dick Adams" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag

"Will" > wrote in message
news:mailman.20.1108222427.30360.rec.food.sourdoug ...

> The Dick Adams' theory of "obstainancy" holds stead here.

Obstaination, not obstainancy.

For the people of "Old-Europe", what mean these words, which
http://dict.leo.org can't find???

Ulrike Westphal Feb 12, 11:37 am wrote

> what mean these words, which http://dict.leo.org can't find???

Sturheit.

HUTCHNDI

" Obstaination: Obstinate refusal to spend any money on stupid books. "

I must be obstainate then. Or cheap anyways. Haven't spent a dime on a
(sourdough or bread or baking) book yet. Didnt want to spend money on yeast
anymore either, hence my first attempts with sourdough. Actually, I didnt
want to waste 20 bucks on this DVD, if I was going to spend money on bread
baking stuff I would rather it be flour.
But the books I had been getting from the library could only go so far in
teaching things that need to be shown. Same goes for the websites I had been
visiting. Even the streaming video's Samartha was nice enough to point out
are a pain in the butt, me being too cheap to have high speed internet.
So it was either continue on my path strewn with trial and errors (which I
will never really get off anyways) or try this. What I got from it I am
confident will improve my next bread, more so than did the last two or three
books I borrowed, so I'm OK with the purchase.

Hutchndi

How do you eat your artisan bread? Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 93 28-08-2012 05:45 PM
FOLO: Artisan Bread Michael Horowitz General Cooking 8 10-11-2009 05:29 PM
Artisan Bread Deb Recipes (moderated) 0 16-06-2008 03:08 AM
Artisan Simple Crusty Bread Debbie[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 10-06-2008 02:59 AM
Andy: Artisan bread Nancy Young General Cooking 10 20-08-2006 09:49 PM