Marcella Peek

Default Bread machine sourdough

I tripped over this piece of paper in our office yesterday. It is
clearly something my husband ripped out of Sunset magazine years ago -
back in the day before they put the date on the pages. We've never
tried it, but for those who regularly ask how to make sourdough in a
bread machine it's a start:

Sunset's Sourdough Recipe for Bread Machines

Ingredients 1-lb machine 1 1/2 lb machine
Water 1/2 C + 2 T 1 C
Sourdough starter 3/4 C 1 C
Bread Flour 2 1/2 C 3 1/2 C
Sugar 2 t 1 T
Salt 3/4 t 1 t
Active dry yeast 1 pkg 1 pkg

Fill machine's bread pan according to manufacturer's directions. Select
white bread cycle. Observe dough during first mixing; it should form a
soft ball. If dough won't hold together in a ball and machine labors,
all more water, 1 T at a time. If dough it too soft to form a ball, add
more flour, 1 T at a time; wait at least 30 seconds between additions to
ensure flour is completely absorbed. At end of baking cycle, remove
loaf promptly; cool on rack before slicing.

And...since I am likely freaking some bakers out with the suggestion of
sourdough bread in a machine and with the addition of commercial yeast,
I might as well go for broke and add their method for making your own
starter.

In a 1 to 1 1/2 qt. pan over medium heat, or in a nonmetal container in
a microwave oven, heat 1 C nonfat or low-fat milk to 90 - 100 degrees.
Remove from heat and stir in 3 T unflavored yogurt. Pour into a warm
glass, ceramic, plastic or stainless steel container with a tight lid.
Cover and let stand in a warm place (80-90 degrees F) until the mixture
is the consistency of yogurt and doesn't flow readily when container is
tilted. Process takes 18-24 hours.

Stir in 1 C bread flour until smooth. Cover tightly and let stand in a
warm place until mixture if full of bubbles and has a good sour smell -
2-5 days. If clear liquid forms stir it back in. If it is pink discard
and start over. To store, cover and refrigerate. Makes about 1 1/2 C

To feed and maintain a supply: add milk and bread flour in equal
amounts to starter you'll be using. For example, if recipe calls for 1
C starter, add 1 C milk and 1 C flour. Cover tightly, let stand in a
warm place until it bubbles, smells sour and forms a clear liquid on
top. Stir to use.

Sounds weird to me, but I guess the magazine liked the results.

marcella
Dick Adams

"Marcella Peek" > wrote in message =

> [ ... ]

> To feed and maintain a supply: add milk and bread flour in equal=20
> amounts to starter you'll be using. =20

Googling "bread machine" sourdough milk got 88,800 hits.

> Sounds weird to me, but I guess the magazine liked the results.

It's all weird, and weirder every day. Weirdness everywhere!

Only 5 hits, though, for "bread machine" sourdough milk detmold.

Ernie

"Marcella Peek" wrote
>I tripped over this piece of paper in our office yesterday. It is
> clearly something my husband ripped out of Sunset magazine years ago -
> back in the day before they put the date on the pages. We've never
> tried it, but for those who regularly ask how to make sourdough in a
> bread machine it's a start:

Marcella,
The secret to making Sourdough Bread seems to be Starter, Temperature and
Time. Get a cup full of active starter, mix the dough and keep it in a warm
place (90 F) for 9 hours, shape the loaf, keep it in a warm place (90 F) for
8 hours, bake until the center of the loaf is 190 F. If you want bigger
holes in the bread make the dough wetter. Adding a tablespoon of Rye Flour
to the starter makes a more sour loaf and adding a 1/4 teaspoon of Ascorbic
Acid to the dough makes a loftier loaf.
Ernie

gw

Marcella, Ernie and Dick---
thank you. Ain't serendipity wonderful?

Dick, I also googled and got something like over 30,000. That's why I asked,
to see if anyone had already tried one and liked it.......
gw

Dick Adams

"gw" > wrote in message =

> Dick, I also googled and got something like over 30,000.=20
> That's why I asked, to see if anyone had already tried one=20
> and liked it.......

Well, if I had to guess, I say the following might be a good way
to start: Sour overnight a slurry of rye flour and as much water as =20
is usually used in the particular bread machine, maybe a cup and
a half. Next day add bread flour, enough so that the dough
balls on the paddle, and salt (try ~ 1 tsp.) and enough instant
dry yeast (try 1.5 tsp.). Vary the salt and yeast for best result.
Consider added caraway seeds and baking in the machine.

Maybe add some active starter to start the rye slurry going.

If you become a sourdough expert, maybe you can figure out
how to do it without instant yeast. Come back then and get
nominated for the annual sourdough schmaltz award.

Marcella Peek wrote:
> Sunset's Sourdough Recipe for Bread Machines
>
> Ingredients 1-lb machine 1 1/2 lb machine
> Water 1/2 C + 2 T 1 C
> Sourdough starter 3/4 C 1 C
> Bread Flour 2 1/2 C 3 1/2 C
> Sugar 2 t 1 T
> Salt 3/4 t 1 t
> Active dry yeast 1 pkg 1 pkg

This sounds strange to me because this recipe calls for 1 pkg dry yeast
(2 1/4 tsp!) with 3/4C sourdough starter. Aren't they too much?
Some recipe I saw only requires 155g sourdough without any yeat (but
with 1/4 baking soda, whcih, I guess, is used to comprimise the sour
taste).