Marcella Peek

Default Bread machine sourdough

I tripped over this piece of paper in our office yesterday. It is
clearly something my husband ripped out of Sunset magazine years ago -
back in the day before they put the date on the pages. We've never
tried it, but for those who regularly ask how to make sourdough in a
bread machine it's a start:

Sunset's Sourdough Recipe for Bread Machines

Ingredients 1-lb machine 1 1/2 lb machine
Water 1/2 C + 2 T 1 C
Sourdough starter 3/4 C 1 C
Bread Flour 2 1/2 C 3 1/2 C
Sugar 2 t 1 T
Salt 3/4 t 1 t
Active dry yeast 1 pkg 1 pkg

Fill machine's bread pan according to manufacturer's directions. Select
white bread cycle. Observe dough during first mixing; it should form a
soft ball. If dough won't hold together in a ball and machine labors,
all more water, 1 T at a time. If dough it too soft to form a ball, add
more flour, 1 T at a time; wait at least 30 seconds between additions to
ensure flour is completely absorbed. At end of baking cycle, remove
loaf promptly; cool on rack before slicing.

And...since I am likely freaking some bakers out with the suggestion of
sourdough bread in a machine and with the addition of commercial yeast,
I might as well go for broke and add their method for making your own
starter.

In a 1 to 1 1/2 qt. pan over medium heat, or in a nonmetal container in
a microwave oven, heat 1 C nonfat or low-fat milk to 90 - 100 degrees.
Remove from heat and stir in 3 T unflavored yogurt. Pour into a warm
glass, ceramic, plastic or stainless steel container with a tight lid.
Cover and let stand in a warm place (80-90 degrees F) until the mixture
is the consistency of yogurt and doesn't flow readily when container is
tilted. Process takes 18-24 hours.

Stir in 1 C bread flour until smooth. Cover tightly and let stand in a
warm place until mixture if full of bubbles and has a good sour smell -
2-5 days. If clear liquid forms stir it back in. If it is pink discard
and start over. To store, cover and refrigerate. Makes about 1 1/2 C

To feed and maintain a supply: add milk and bread flour in equal
amounts to starter you'll be using. For example, if recipe calls for 1
C starter, add 1 C milk and 1 C flour. Cover tightly, let stand in a
warm place until it bubbles, smells sour and forms a clear liquid on
top. Stir to use.

Sounds weird to me, but I guess the magazine liked the results.

marcella