Sourdough (rec.food.sourdough) Discussing the hobby or craft of baking with sourdough. We are not just a recipe group, Our charter is to discuss the care, feeding, and breeding of yeasts and lactobacilli that make up sourdough cultures.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 24-03-2016, 03:47 AM posted to rec.food.sourdough
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,053
Default Sourdough article in NYT

Posted here in the perhaps vain hope that this group is still on
people's lists.
http://tiny.cc/bfpaay

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 24-03-2016, 11:32 AM posted to rec.food.sourdough
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,553
Default Sourdough article in NYT

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 20:47:40 -0600, graham wrote:

Posted here in the perhaps vain hope that this group is still on
people's lists.
http://tiny.cc/bfpaay



I saw it!
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 24-03-2016, 03:08 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,053
Default Sourdough article in NYT

On 24/03/2016 4:32 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 20:47:40 -0600, graham wrote:

Posted here in the perhaps vain hope that this group is still on
people's lists.
http://tiny.cc/bfpaay



I saw it!

As usual, it is full of folklore rather than hard science.
Graham
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 24-03-2016, 03:55 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 14,372
Default Sourdough article in NYT

On 2016-03-24, graham wrote:

As usual, it is full of folklore rather than hard science.


As it should be!

Most ppl don't understand science. It jes bores 'em. That's why
folklore exists. Much more entertaining.

Heck, I tried making my own sourdough starter. Did I succeed? Damned
if I know.

I must have, as it sure stank bad after awhile, so I tossed it. I
started with organic whole grain wheat flour, added water, and fed it
with organic unbleached APF n' water. It got gooey, but I still fed
it. By day 4, it was alive, that I know. But then, what?

Did I not feed it enough? Too much? Another problem, I'm at 8K ft
elevation! All I know, is, it went south. No problem telling it had
turned. Eeeuwww....

nb
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-03-2016, 04:20 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 7
Default Sourdough article in NYT

On 23-Mar-16 19:47, graham wrote:
Posted here in the perhaps vain hope that this group is still on
people's lists.
http://tiny.cc/bfpaay

An interesting and well written article. Thanks for posting it, Graham.

Dusty
--
"Belief is the blissful twilight that those without the courage of true
convictions cling to in order to escape the sometimes harsh
understanding of reality that comes with truth." -- Dusty 2006


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-03-2016, 06:52 PM posted to rec.food.sourdough
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,053
Default Sourdough article in NYT

On 29/03/2016 9:20 AM, Dusty wrote:
On 23-Mar-16 19:47, graham wrote:
Posted here in the perhaps vain hope that this group is still on
people's lists.
http://tiny.cc/bfpaay

An interesting and well written article. Thanks for posting it, Graham.

Dusty

You're welcome. It reminded me to feed my starters. I often leave them
for 2 or 3 months between feedings that are then rejuvenations:-)
The rye starter is interesting. I went on a couple of courses offered by
the local tech college that has a well-known culinary faculty. The head
baking instructor gave me some of his 100% rye starter and it's
descended from that. When I rejuvenate it, there is very little activity
from the first 2 feedings but the 3rd is very vigorous.
Graham
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 30-03-2016, 03:33 AM posted to rec.food.sourdough
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 7
Default Sourdough article in NYT

On 29-Mar-16 10:52, graham wrote:
On 29/03/2016 9:20 AM, Dusty wrote:
On 23-Mar-16 19:47, graham wrote:
Posted here in the perhaps vain hope that this group is still on
people's lists.
http://tiny.cc/bfpaay

An interesting and well written article. Thanks for posting it, Graham.

Dusty

You're welcome. It reminded me to feed my starters. I often leave them
for 2 or 3 months between feedings that are then rejuvenations:-)
The rye starter is interesting. I went on a couple of courses offered by
the local tech college that has a well-known culinary faculty. The head
baking instructor gave me some of his 100% rye starter and it's
descended from that. When I rejuvenate it, there is very little activity
from the first 2 feedings but the 3rd is very vigorous.
Graham

Wow! I sometimes do "leave" mine...but usually never more than
approaching a week. It always seems to bounce back & continue as if I
loved it all the time.
Tomorrow I'm going to use it in some oatmeal-cranberry cookies. They
usually come out pretty good...but I'll keep y'all posted.

Take care and be well all,
Dusty
--
"Belief is the blissful twilight that those without the courage of true
convictions cling to in order to escape the sometimes harsh
understanding of reality that comes with truth." -- Dusty 2006


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bob Hurt's Sourdough Article Bob Hurt Sourdough 14 08-08-2007 01:11 AM
Good article on BBQ BOB[_8_] Barbecue 2 01-07-2007 11:57 PM
An interesting article Ian Hoare Asian Cooking 0 30-09-2005 09:29 AM
BBQ article Hannan Barbecue 2 19-08-2005 02:15 PM
[Article]: Article and recipes on spiritual diet. Smart Book General Cooking 42 22-03-2004 08:55 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017