Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Bob Hurt's Sourdough Article

I have, for those interested, updated my 2-year-old sourdough article with
a number of improvements, including sheets of labels for 1847 and San
Francisco sourdough starters, plus a photo of my Island Princess Maria
enjoying a slice of my bread. You can get the article (PDF file format, so
you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader or equivalent) he

http://bobhurt.com/articles/recipe_b...nstructions.pd

OR, go to http://bobhurt.com and click on "Articles" in the menu.

Bob Hurt
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Bob Hurt" > wrote in message
> I have, for those interested, updated my 2-year-old sourdough article with
> a number of improvements, including sheets of labels for 1847 and San
> Francisco sourdough starters, plus a photo of my Island Princess Maria
> enjoying a slice of my bread. You can get the article (PDF file format, so
> you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader or equivalent) he
>
> http://bobhurt.com/articles/recipe_b...nstructions.pd

That could cause trouble for some (most, unfortunately). I fixed it so it will
mostly work, being the busybody that I am:

http://bobhurt.com/articles/recipe%5...ruct ions.pdf

(Underlined spaces "_" can cause trouble, as well as dangling characters.)

> OR, go to http://bobhurt.com and click on "Articles" in the menu.

WOW! -- speaking of BIG, there's answers for all kinds of stuff there, like
the Thermal Probe for Cancer:

"This is a probe that you insert in the anus to raise the body temperature in
that area to about 130 degrees F. It simulates a fever and thus stimulates
production of white blood cells which attack infectious microbes. You can
find out more about it in our References page."

I was thinking -- maybe such a thing could be used to cook bread loaves from
the inside. A way perhaps to cook exceedingly long loaves without necessarily
having a huge oven.

Well, that is just one of many ideas that comes to mind thumbing through that
remarkable web site.

--
Dicky

P.S. Maria looks real good, but the bread seems pale. Well, maybe I am
just miffed since my sourdough article just came to one page, compared to
14 for yours.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Dick Adams wrote:
> "Bob Hurt" > wrote in message
>
>>I have, for those interested, updated my 2-year-old sourdough article with
>>a number of improvements, including sheets of labels for 1847 and San
>>Francisco sourdough starters, plus a photo of my Island Princess Maria
>>enjoying a slice of my bread. You can get the article (PDF file format, so
>>you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader or equivalent) he
>>
>>http://bobhurt.com/articles/recipe_b...nstructions.pd

> That could cause trouble for some (most, unfortunately). I fixed it so it will
> mostly work, being the busybody that I am:
>
> http://bobhurt.com/articles/recipe%5...ruct ions.pdf
>
> (Underlined spaces "_" can cause trouble, as well as dangling characters.)
>

>>OR, go to http://bobhurt.com and click on "Articles" in the menu.

> WOW! -- speaking of BIG, there's answers for all kinds of stuff there, like
> the Thermal Probe for Cancer:
>
> "This is a probe that you insert in the anus to raise the body temperature in
> that area to about 130 degrees F. It simulates a fever and thus stimulates
> production of white blood cells which attack infectious microbes. You can
> find out more about it in our References page."
>
> I was thinking -- maybe such a thing could be used to cook bread loaves from
> the inside. A way perhaps to cook exceedingly long loaves without necessarily
> having a huge oven.
>
> Well, that is just one of many ideas that comes to mind thumbing through that
> remarkable web site.
>
> --
> Dicky
>
> P.S. Maria looks real good, but the bread seems pale. Well, maybe I am
> just miffed since my sourdough article just came to one page, compared to
> 14 for yours.

hopefully after a thorough washing.

j.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Great writeup. Thanks!!!

On 31 Jul 2007 05:59:34 GMT, Bob Hurt > wrote:

>I have, for those interested, updated my 2-year-old sourdough article with
>a number of improvements, including sheets of labels for 1847 and San
>Francisco sourdough starters, plus a photo of my Island Princess Maria
>enjoying a slice of my bread. You can get the article (PDF file format, so
>you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader or equivalent) he
>
>http://bobhurt.com/articles/recipe_b...nstructions.pd
>
>OR, go to http://bobhurt.com and click on "Articles" in the menu.
>
>Bob Hurt

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"cognite tute" > in message
. net...
wrote under the entire untrimmed content of my post

the following terse comment:

> hopefully after a thorough washing.

to imply, one may suppose, that someone or something
needs a bath.

Well cognite this, tutsey: You're supposed to focus your
comment(s) by deleting irrelevant quoted text.

Dunno if its me you think needs a bath, but, to tell you the
truth, I was about to take one anyway. Or maybe you just
think I should wash my mouth out with laundry soap?
(Well, then, you wouldn't be the first.)

Tutsey, and all you other little muckers, it's good to have you
aboard, but it is going to be real good if you can develop
some posting style.

--
Dicky

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Dick Adams wrote:
> Or maybe you just
> think I should wash my mouth out with laundry soap?
> (Well, then, you wouldn't be the first.)
> --
> Dicky

Ah, yes. I still recall (though not fondly) the aftertaste of Fells'
Naphtha bar soap...

"It was ..... *soap poisoning*!"
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Dick Adams" > wrote in
:

> "Bob Hurt" > wrote in message
> (Underlined spaces "_" can cause trouble, as well as dangling
> characters.)
>
>> OR, go to http://bobhurt.com and click on "Articles" in the menu.

> WOW! -- speaking of BIG, there's answers for all kinds of stuff there,
> like the Thermal Probe for Cancer:
>
> "This is a probe that you insert in the anus to raise the body
> temperature in that area to about 130 degrees F. It simulates a fever
> and thus stimulates production of white blood cells which attack
> infectious microbes. You can find out more about it in our References
> page."
>
> I was thinking -- maybe such a thing could be used to cook bread
> loaves from the inside. A way perhaps to cook exceedingly long loaves
> without necessarily having a huge oven.
>
> Well, that is just one of many ideas that comes to mind thumbing
> through that remarkable web site.
>
> --
> Dicky
>
> P.S. Maria looks real good, but the bread seems pale. Well, maybe I
> am just miffed since my sourdough article just came to one page,
> compared to 14 for yours.

Thank you, Dicky, for the droll comments and tweaking the link. I
appreciate your many encouragements and contributions to the art of baking
sourdough, particularly since you helped me learn.

JUST like you to find that tantalizing tidbit on anal probes. BAke a loaf
from the inside! Indeed!

Speaking of probes, I have found that if I probe a baking loaf toward the
done phase with an instant read thermometer, then pull the loaf out of the
oven at an internal temperature of 190 degrees F, it doesn't dry out as
quickly as if I let it go above 200.

How shall we work a similar magic if we bake the loaf inside out?

How about baking sourdough in an angelfood cake pan?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Jugito" > wrote in message 8...
> How about baking sourdough in an angelfood cake pan?

Should work, but I am not, so far, able to visualize the advantage.

How about this?: we construct an oven of a length of 6-inch ceramic
drain tile. We do this by wrapping it with nichrome heater wire
and imbedding the whole thing, except the access end, in adobe.
Probably needs some sort of a closure, and vents along it length.
And some sort of a heat-resistant dolly to slide-in and hold the
dough loaf.

Then, depending on the length of drain tile selected, we should be
able to bake a pretty long baguette-shaped loaf, but not so fat as
the viince thing.

I understand, sadly, the ceramic tile may have given way to plastic
pipe (petroleum based), but it will be back. Another thing to mention
is that electric power is taxed down by transmission losses, but with
the efficiencies of containing the heat, when everything is considered,
the electric pipe may be greener than the wood-burning monster.

---
Dicky
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 3 Aug 2007, at 04:52, Jugito wrote:

> ...if I probe a baking loaf toward the
> done phase with an instant read thermometer, then pull the loaf out
> of the
> oven at an internal temperature of 190 degrees F, it doesn't dry
> out as
> quickly as if I let it go above 200.
>
> Bob

Bob you might find that it's the drying out of the crumb that
imporves the flavour.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Aug 3, 11:20 am, "Dick Adams" > wrote:
> "Jugito" > wrote in .146.128...

> How about this?: we construct an oven of a length of 6-inch ceramic
> drain tile. We do this by wrapping it with nichrome heater wire
> and imbedding the whole thing, except the access end, in adobe.

Dicky... this is a really interesting idea.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

> Bob you might find that it's the drying out of the crumb that imporves
> the flavour.
>
> Jim

Are you saying, Jim, that you let your bread bake until the internal
temp is 200 degrees??

Norm

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 4 Aug 2007, at 18:18, Norm Hansen wrote:

> Are you saying, Jim, that you let your bread bake until the internal
> temp is 200 degrees??
>
> Norm

200 minimum usually just under 207 or so.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Jim wrote:
> On 4 Aug 2007, at 18:18, Norm Hansen wrote:
>
>> Are you saying, Jim, that you let your bread bake until the internal
>> temp is 200 degrees??

> 200 minimum usually just under 207 or so.

190:F or somewhat above works for me.

B/
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Norm Hansen wrote:
> Are you saying, Jim, that you let your bread bake until the internal
> temp is 200 degrees??

The "right" internal temperature is open to some debate. The number
will vary depending on the kind of bread you are making, your taste (or
lack thereof), and your altitude.

However, at sea level for a well risen wheat loaf, the magic number
seems to be about 205F.

Mike

Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692
networking guru AIM, yahoo and skype mavery81230
wordsmith

Once seen on road signs all over the United States:
We know
How much
You love that gal
But use both hands
For driving, pal
Burma-Shave
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Bob, i just read your article...it's very useful, especially the step by step and the tables. Thanks for making it
available.

Regards,

John