Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default First attempt, dough not rising very much, bake or toss?

I just joined last night as I started to make my first proof. This
morning it was somewhat bubbly but with lots of hooch (I'd been
stiring this back in for the 2 weeks since it started). Anyway there
was some white froth on top too but it smelled good and so I went on
to make the dough, kneaded, etc. Now at 2 hours it has barely risen.
I do think I may have used too much flour because the dough was a bit
too stiff and dry when I put it aside to rise. Do I just bake it and
see or is there something wrong with it that it is inedible if it
doesn't rise better? Sorry for being such a newb about it. I've
spent the last hour trying to find the answer to the question but was
unable.

Thanks in advance for the help.

As an aside, the rest of the proofed starter that I revived with fresh
warm water and flour is very bubbly in the fridge and looks very
healthy...not sure if that is a good sign.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Thanks for the link. I have admired your photos before, hope you have
shared recipes for some of those combos too LOL...

Mine was not as bubbly as what I think I see in your jar photo. Maybe
it wasn't quite active enough. I didn't realize that hooch was
related to starving. That might be my problem. Thanks again for the
response.

Stacey

Salt Rising Bread Attempt stark Baking 0 02-03-2006 01:43 PM
Dough not rising Shelby A. LaMothe Sourdough 36 12-08-2005 04:16 PM
Dough not rising...why? blondmom Sourdough 0 01-01-2005 09:11 PM
dough not rising? blondmom Baking 0 01-01-2005 09:08 PM
My Dough Is Rising! Robert Sourdough 2 18-04-2004 05:10 PM