FoodBanter.com

-   Sourdough (https://www.foodbanter.com/sourdough/)
-   -   First attempt, dough not rising very much, bake or toss? (https://www.foodbanter.com/sourdough/117644-first-attempt-dough-not.html)

[email protected] 28-02-2007 05:58 PM

First attempt, dough not rising very much, bake or toss?

I just joined last night as I started to make my first proof. This
morning it was somewhat bubbly but with lots of hooch (I'd been
stiring this back in for the 2 weeks since it started). Anyway there
was some white froth on top too but it smelled good and so I went on
to make the dough, kneaded, etc. Now at 2 hours it has barely risen.
I do think I may have used too much flour because the dough was a bit
too stiff and dry when I put it aside to rise. Do I just bake it and
see or is there something wrong with it that it is inedible if it
doesn't rise better? Sorry for being such a newb about it. I've
spent the last hour trying to find the answer to the question but was
unable.

Thanks in advance for the help.

As an aside, the rest of the proofed starter that I revived with fresh
warm water and flour is very bubbly in the fridge and looks very
healthy...not sure if that is a good sign.

Brian Mailman[_1_] 28-02-2007 06:51 PM

wrote:

> I just joined last night as I started to make my first proof. This
> morning it was somewhat bubbly but with lots of hooch (I'd been
> stiring this back in for the 2 weeks since it started).

If your starter is developing hooch, it means it's starving and needs to
be fed. It's not ready to use.

You use your starter at the peak of activity, not after it has subsided.
It should look like pictures 3 and 4 he
http://www.pbase.com/rina/sourdough

B/

[email protected] 28-02-2007 08:40 PM

First attempt, dough not rising very much, bake or toss?

Thanks for the link. I have admired your photos before, hope you have
shared recipes for some of those combos too LOL...

Mine was not as bubbly as what I think I see in your jar photo. Maybe
it wasn't quite active enough. I didn't realize that hooch was
related to starving. That might be my problem. Thanks again for the
response.

Stacey

Brian Mailman[_1_] 01-03-2007 02:43 AM

wrote:

> Thanks for the link. I have admired your photos before, hope you have
> shared recipes for some of those combos too LOL...

That's not my site, but the owner has said the link can be posted.

> Mine was not as bubbly as what I think I see in your jar photo. Maybe
> it wasn't quite active enough. I didn't realize that hooch was
> related to starving. That might be my problem. Thanks again for the
> response.

Sounds like it. Your starter needs to be fully active. When you see
hooch, it means you need to feed the starter.

B/