Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default brine curing with Morton's Tenderquick

Has anyone tried to brine cure meat using Morton's TenderQuick, with or
without added salt? TenderQuick has .5% sodium nitrate and .5% sodium
nitrate. I recently posted a similar question on alt.food.barbecue.
Thanks for any info.
Kent

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Kent" > wrote in message
. ..
> Has anyone tried to brine cure meat using Morton's TenderQuick, with or
> without added salt? TenderQuick has .5% sodium nitrate and .5% sodium
> nitrate. I recently posted a similar question on alt.food.barbecue.
> Thanks for any info.
> Kent

..5% sodium nitrite & .5% sodium nitrate is correct rather than what is
above.
Kent

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kent wrote:

> Has anyone tried to brine cure meat using Morton's TenderQuick, with or
> without added salt? TenderQuick has .5% sodium nitrate and .5% sodium
> nitrate. I recently posted a similar question on alt.food.barbecue.
> Thanks for any info.
> Kent

Here's the full list of ingredients:

97 % Salt
2 % Sugar
0.5 % Sodium Nitrite
0.5 % Sodium Nitrate

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Reg" > wrote in message
.net...
> Kent wrote:
>
>> Has anyone tried to brine cure meat using Morton's TenderQuick, with or
>> without added salt? TenderQuick has .5% sodium nitrate and .5% sodium
>> nitrate. I recently posted a similar question on alt.food.barbecue.
>> Thanks for any info.
>> Kent

> Here's the full list of ingredients:
>
> 97 % Salt
> 2 % Sugar
> 0.5 % Sodium Nitrite
> 0.5 % Sodium Nitrate
>
> --
> Reg

I know. Reg, what I am asking is only the experience, if any, of other NG
posters. Did you ever brine with TenderQuick and if so, what happened? What
concentration of Tenderquick/water did you use? Did you add any salt to your
brine to increase NaCl concentration and to maintain a certain
nitrate-nitrite level in your brine. How much many gallons of your brine did
you use with a specific meat weight. How long did you brine? At what temp.
did you brine? Would you do this again?
My initial post above is somewhat ambiguous. I apologize.
Again, I and probably other NG readers/posters would be interested in any
experience with this. In fact, please give us yours.
Kent

Posted to rec.food.preserving

I have used TenderQuick as a dry cure (corned beef & pea meal bacon). I
found the Morton web site to be an excellent resource, check there.

I would not add additional salt. The product is mostly salt. The
proportions are set so your final product would not be palatable if you
use too much.

JK

Kent wrote:
> "Reg" > wrote in message
> .net...
>
>>Kent wrote:
>>

>>>Has anyone tried to brine cure meat using Morton's TenderQuick, with or
>>>without added salt? TenderQuick has .5% sodium nitrate and .5% sodium
>>>nitrate. I recently posted a similar question on alt.food.barbecue.
>>>Thanks for any info.
>>>Kent

>>Here's the full list of ingredients:
>>
>>97 % Salt
>>2 % Sugar
>>0.5 % Sodium Nitrite
>>0.5 % Sodium Nitrate
>>
>>--
>>Reg

> I know. Reg, what I am asking is only the experience, if any, of other NG
> posters. Did you ever brine with TenderQuick and if so, what happened? What
> concentration of Tenderquick/water did you use? Did you add any salt to your
> brine to increase NaCl concentration and to maintain a certain
> nitrate-nitrite level in your brine. How much many gallons of your brine did
> you use with a specific meat weight. How long did you brine? At what temp.
> did you brine? Would you do this again?
> My initial post above is somewhat ambiguous. I apologize.
> Again, I and probably other NG readers/posters would be interested in any
> experience with this. In fact, please give us yours.
> Kent

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default brine curing with Morton's Tenderquick - Friday, June 09, 2006.pdf (0/1)

I have used TenderQuick and was very happy with the results. Morton
does have a booklet out called " A Complete Guide To Home Meat Curing"
witch is very helpful. I have attached one page in pdf format to
possibly answer some of your questions. For my use experience, I have
only done boneless pork loins to end up with Canadian Style Bacon and
it was way beyond my expectations. It is great.

I tried chicken pieces and while they were good, the family could not
get used to eating pink chicken. Fully cooke the meat was the color oh
ham.

Get the book it is a great sourcs of info.

Brining was done in the fridge in a plastic bag with no water or salt
added. Just followed the recipes.

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 23:38:52 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:

>"Reg" > wrote in message
y.net...
>> Kent wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone tried to brine cure meat using Morton's TenderQuick, with or
>>> without added salt? TenderQuick has .5% sodium nitrate and .5% sodium
>>> nitrate. I recently posted a similar question on alt.food.barbecue.
>>> Thanks for any info.
>>> Kent

>> Here's the full list of ingredients:
>>
>> 97 % Salt
>> 2 % Sugar
>> 0.5 % Sodium Nitrite
>> 0.5 % Sodium Nitrate
>>
>> --
>> Reg

>I know. Reg, what I am asking is only the experience, if any, of other NG
>posters. Did you ever brine with TenderQuick and if so, what happened? What
>concentration of Tenderquick/water did you use? Did you add any salt to your
>brine to increase NaCl concentration and to maintain a certain
>nitrate-nitrite level in your brine. How much many gallons of your brine did
>you use with a specific meat weight. How long did you brine? At what temp.
>did you brine? Would you do this again?
>My initial post above is somewhat ambiguous. I apologize.
>Again, I and probably other NG readers/posters would be interested in any
>experience with this. In fact, please give us yours.
>Kent

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"deOldePrinter" > wrote in message
>I have used TenderQuick and was very happy with the results. Morton
> does have a booklet out called " A Complete Guide To Home Meat Curing"
> witch is very helpful. I have attached one page in pdf format to
> possibly answer some of your questions. For my use experience, I have
> only done boneless pork loins to end up with Canadian Style Bacon and
> it was way beyond my expectations. It is great.
>
> I tried chicken pieces and while they were good, the family could not
> get used to eating pink chicken. Fully cooke the meat was the color oh
> ham.
>
> Get the book it is a great sourcs of info.
>
> Brining was done in the fridge in a plastic bag with no water or salt
> added. Just followed the recipes.

Thanks for your post. I didn't get an attached PDF file, and I would sure
appreciate if you would resend to me directly.
The tightwad in me makes it very hard to spend almost 15 bucks on a 34 page
booklet. Mortons should make the whole book available as a pdf file. I can't
understand wh;y they wouldn't.
Kent

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kent wrote:

> "Reg" > wrote in message
> .net...
>
>>Here's the full list of ingredients:
>>
>>97 % Salt
>>2 % Sugar
>>0.5 % Sodium Nitrite
>>0.5 % Sodium Nitrate

> I know. Reg, what I am asking is only the experience, if any, of other NG
> posters.

Sorry, Kent. Since I had to write to the manufacturer to get the
exact percantage of salt (it's not on the label) I thought you
might not know. I was just passing it on.

--
Reg