Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Morton's curing products.

Hi,

Morton has a few curing products available (even a booklet on curing):

http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/m...ng/index.html#

Available around here is "Morton Tender Quick" and "Morton Sugar Cure".
Does anyone here have experience with these products? I am currently buying
cure on-line, but it would be convenient if I could use these which I can
pick up locally.

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ceed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Morton has a few curing products available (even a booklet on curing):
>
> http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/m...ng/index.html#
>
> Available around here is "Morton Tender Quick" and "Morton Sugar Cure".
> Does anyone here have experience with these products? I am currently buying
> cure on-line, but it would be convenient if I could use these which I can
> pick up locally.

Tender quick is interchangeable with instacure #1. IIRC the percentage
of sodium nitrate differs. In my last effort (several years ago) I
think I had to use more TQ to get the sodium nitrates up to the required
percentage. It is salty, so reduce the amount of salt accordingly.

Sugar cure is more for dry-curing hams and bacon. It has sugar ann
smoke flavorings added, and you rub it into the meat, and let it
dry-sure until the moisture content has been reduced by about half.
You could supposidly do this drying off the back porch, like granddad
did, (Be sure to cover with cloth to keep out flies) I do mine in an
old fridge. (Takes longer, but I like my meat cold.)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

shawn wrote:
> ceed wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Morton has a few curing products available (even a booklet on curing):
>>
>> http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/m...ng/index.html#
>>
>> Available around here is "Morton Tender Quick" and "Morton Sugar
>> Cure". Does anyone here have experience with these products? I am
>> currently buying cure on-line, but it would be convenient if I could
>> use these which I can pick up locally.
>>

> Tender quick is interchangeable with instacure #1. IIRC the percentage
> of sodium nitrate differs. In my last effort (several years ago) I
> think I had to use more TQ to get the sodium nitrates up to the required
> percentage. It is salty, so reduce the amount of salt accordingly.
>
> Sugar cure is more for dry-curing hams and bacon. It has sugar ann
> smoke flavorings added, and you rub it into the meat, and let it
> dry-sure until the moisture content has been reduced by about half.
> You could supposidly do this drying off the back porch, like granddad
> did, (Be sure to cover with cloth to keep out flies) I do mine in an
> old fridge. (Takes longer, but I like my meat cold.)

After some research I wanted to post this info:

Tenderquick contains 1% nitrites/nitrates. (It is a blend to allow long
term dry curing; the nitrites break down in weeks rather than days)

If you're using prague #1 at 6%, you would have to use 6 X more TQ to be
safe. (Again, reduce the salt accordingly.) I have used TQ for many
years, because I can get it locally. I like it. But your web source
might be more cost effective due to the reduced amount you need to do
the job.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On 21 May 2007 11:45:45 GMT, ceed wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Morton has a few curing products available (even a booklet on curing):
>>
>> http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/m...ng/index.html#
>>
>> Available around here is "Morton Tender Quick" and "Morton Sugar Cure".
>> Does anyone here have experience with these products? I am currently
>> buying
>> cure on-line, but it would be convenient if I could use these which I can
>> pick up locally.

> It's cheaper to buy Instacure/Prague #1 (even at $10/lb) and add
> salt to make up the difference. #1 is about 6-7% nitrite, TQ is
> 1% (and costs about $2/lb).
>
> -sw

Tenderquick is .5% nitrite and .5% nitrate.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"shawn" > wrote in message
> shawn wrote:
>> ceed wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Morton has a few curing products available (even a booklet on curing):
>>>
>>> http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/m...ng/index.html#
>>>
>>> Available around here is "Morton Tender Quick" and "Morton Sugar Cure".
>>> Does anyone here have experience with these products? I am currently
>>> buying cure on-line, but it would be convenient if I could use these
>>> which I can pick up locally.
>>>

>> Tender quick is interchangeable with instacure #1. IIRC the percentage
>> of sodium nitrate differs. In my last effort (several years ago) I
>> think I had to use more TQ to get the sodium nitrates up to the required
>> percentage. It is salty, so reduce the amount of salt accordingly.
>>
>> Sugar cure is more for dry-curing hams and bacon. It has sugar ann smoke
>> flavorings added, and you rub it into the meat, and let it dry-sure until
>> the moisture content has been reduced by about half.
>> You could supposidly do this drying off the back porch, like granddad
>> did, (Be sure to cover with cloth to keep out flies) I do mine in an
>> old fridge. (Takes longer, but I like my meat cold.)

> After some research I wanted to post this info:
>
> Tenderquick contains 1% nitrites/nitrates. (It is a blend to allow long
> term dry curing; the nitrites break down in weeks rather than days)
>
> If you're using prague #1 at 6%, you would have to use 6 X more TQ to be
> safe. (Again, reduce the salt accordingly.) I have used TQ for many
> years, because I can get it locally. I like it. But your web source
> might be more cost effective due to the reduced amount you need to do the
> job.

How much Tenderquick do you use per quart of brine? Morton's recipe on
the container says 1 cup per quart of H2O. Even if the salt to sugar ratio
was 50-50
a half cup of salt per quart that results in about 25% NaCl by weight. That
would
salt you right off the table, not to mention the ensuing hypertension. I
usually
us 1 oz salt per quart, which yields a NaCl by weight concentration of
6.77%.
The human extracellular fluid is .97% NaCl by weight. Many on this NG use
2oz/quart by vol. for a 13.53% NaCl by weight concentration[Salt has a
specific
gravity of 2.165]. Also, If you're brining, you have to consider the weight
of your brine versus
the muscle weight of what you are brining. If you are brining 1 lb of pure
muscle,
like tenderloin, in 1 lb, or 16oz by vol. of brine, and you get full
equilibration
throughout the meat, you will have a meat salt concentration of half the
salt concentration of
your brine. If you're using, as I do 1 oz salt/quart, you'll end up with a
3.3% NaCl concentration
in the finished product. If you use the same brine with 3lb, or 48oz of
brine and 1lb of
meat you'll end up with 5.07% salt by weight[75% x 6.77%] of brine.
In addition to have to compute the volume by weight of sodium nitrite in
your brine, and translate to what ends up in the meat. You don't want to go
over the FDA max, or you'll
get sick. "For the curing process, sodium nitrite legally can be used at up
to the following levels, set by the Meat Inspection Regulations, Title 9,
Chapter 111, Subchapter A, Code of Federal Regulations, 1974:
a.. 2 pounds per 100 gallons pickle brine at the 10 percent pump level in
the product
b.. 1 ounce per 100 pounds meat (dry cured)
c.. 1/4 ounce per 100 pounds chopped meat and/or meat by-product."
Look at: http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...on/DJ0974.html

Sorry for all the prattle. I really would like to know what brine
concentration you
are using with Tenderquick, and what your results have been with different
concentrations.

Thanks,

Kent

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> [...]

> In addition to have to compute the volume by weight of sodium nitrite
> in your brine, and translate to what ends up in the meat. You don't
> want to go over the FDA max, or you'll
> get sick. "For the curing process, sodium nitrite legally can be used
> at up to the following levels, set by the Meat Inspection
> Regulations, Title 9, Chapter 111, Subchapter A, Code of Federal
> Regulations, 1974: a.. 2 pounds per 100 gallons pickle brine at the
> 10 percent pump level in the product
> b.. 1 ounce per 100 pounds meat (dry cured)
> c.. 1/4 ounce per 100 pounds chopped meat and/or meat by-product."
> Look at:
> http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...on/DJ0974.html
> Sorry for all the prattle. I really would like to know what brine
> concentration you
> are using with Tenderquick, and what your results have been with

I add my salts (Nitrates, Nitrites, chlorides) until it tastes about as
salty as seawater. If I am following a recipe, I add my cure, subtracting
that amount from the total salt called for in the recipe.

Using Instacure, (Prague powder) It is usually a teaspoon or so for a
gallon, followed by the rest of whatever salt is called for.

With tenderquick, It usually ends up a total substitution for the salt.

Remember the cure's function; it is to halt bacterial reproduction during
the time the meat's temprature is in the danger zone during smoking. If you
are not smoking, or otherwise slow cooking the meat, it is not necessary at
all. (Oh I know it adds flavor components to hams, and corned beef etc.
But the true function of a cure is safety.)

Only use as much as you need, and no more.

Really, get Kutas' book. It is the Bible.