Wayne Boatwright

Default PING: George Shirley

George,

I'm glad to see you posting. How did you fare in the aftermath of the storm?
Thought of you the whole time.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
George Shirley

No problems, came ashore 200 miles east of us. Bright sunshine, no rain,
very little winds here. Look at a map of Louisiana and Texas, there's a
small city, Sulphur, LA, that's where we live, about 30 miles from the
Texas border on I10. We were surrounded by refugees from the storm but
had no problems ourself. If Katrina had swung a little more to the west
we were prepared to head north or west to outrun her but didn't need to.
I'm very glad I'm no longer in the emergency and rescue business though.
I think the death toll in Louisiana and Mississippi is going to be
pretty high.

George

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> George,
>
> I'm glad to see you posting. How did you fare in the aftermath of the storm?
> Thought of you the whole time.

Wayne Boatwright

I'm so glad, George! I didn't know exactly what area you lived in, but
thought you were closer to New Orleans. I have family in NE Mississippi,
Tupelo to be exact, and haven't heard anything, but I know that area was
not hit severely. I cannot begin to imagine the scope of recovering from
this.

Wayne

On Tue 30 Aug 2005 02:22:14p, George Shirley wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> No problems, came ashore 200 miles east of us. Bright sunshine, no rain,
> very little winds here. Look at a map of Louisiana and Texas, there's a
> small city, Sulphur, LA, that's where we live, about 30 miles from the
> Texas border on I10. We were surrounded by refugees from the storm but
> had no problems ourself. If Katrina had swung a little more to the west
> we were prepared to head north or west to outrun her but didn't need to.
> I'm very glad I'm no longer in the emergency and rescue business though.
> I think the death toll in Louisiana and Mississippi is going to be
> pretty high.
>
> George
>
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> George,
>>
>> I'm glad to see you posting. How did you fare in the aftermath of the
>> storm? Thought of you the whole time.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
sarah

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> I'm so glad, George! I didn't know exactly what area you lived in, but
> thought you were closer to New Orleans.

Me too. All the footage we've seen in the UK is of New Orleans and
Biloxi, both of which have clearly been badly hit. I assume small
settlements between them and nearby are as bad or worse. I'm glad you're
alright -- but I feel so sorry for those who aren't.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 30 Aug 2005 10:05:06p, sarah wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> I'm so glad, George! I didn't know exactly what area you lived in, but
>> thought you were closer to New Orleans.

> Me too. All the footage we've seen in the UK is of New Orleans and
> Biloxi, both of which have clearly been badly hit. I assume small
> settlements between them and nearby are as bad or worse. I'm glad you're
> alright -- but I feel so sorry for those who aren't.
>
> regards
> sarah

Sarah, from what I understand, some of the small coastal communities have
disappeared completely. My family is from the South, although none
currently live in the areas hit by this storm. I know the entire area
well, and I find it unbelievable that this has happened.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

sarah

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Tue 30 Aug 2005 10:05:06p, sarah wrote in rec.food.preserving:
>
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> >
> >> I'm so glad, George! I didn't know exactly what area you lived in, but
> >> thought you were closer to New Orleans.

> > Me too. All the footage we've seen in the UK is of New Orleans and
> > Biloxi, both of which have clearly been badly hit. I assume small
> > settlements between them and nearby are as bad or worse. I'm glad you're
> > alright -- but I feel so sorry for those who aren't.

> Sarah, from what I understand, some of the small coastal communities have
> disappeared completely. My family is from the South, although none
> currently live in the areas hit by this storm. I know the entire area
> well, and I find it unbelievable that this has happened.

I heard a BBC R4 interview about an hour ago with a university lecturer
who got out of town in time, and whose wife and children had travelled
up north earlier in the week to take the eldest to college. He said that
last Thursday was just another day, Friday the serious warnings started
and now... he said he was lucky, he knew he was lucky, his family was ok
even if his house was likely to go under in the near future. He said
that it wasn't losing the stuff that hurt, it was losing *the city* and
all that it meant: New Orleans/that part of the South has given a lot to
the rest of the world, even if it had taken a lot, too. He asked people
who'd ever enjoyed New Orleans, or something that came from the city to
pray for the city and those who live there. Or lived there. I was
driving at the time, and had to pull off the road because I was crying.
I listen to Clifton Chenier and Sonny Landreth and a host of other
musicians from that area, or influenced by Cajun sounds. James Lee
Burke's works are among the very, very few novels that sit on my
shelves, rather than the library's. I don't pray, but I'd like to help.
If anyone knows of a practical way a Brit could lend assistance, let me
know.

I don't even know the name of the interviewee.

my very best wishes to everyone, everywhere.
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 31 Aug 2005 01:04:36a, sarah wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> I heard a BBC R4 interview about an hour ago with a university lecturer
> who got out of town in time, and whose wife and children had travelled
> up north earlier in the week to take the eldest to college. He said that
> last Thursday was just another day, Friday the serious warnings started
> and now... he said he was lucky, he knew he was lucky, his family was ok
> even if his house was likely to go under in the near future. He said
> that it wasn't losing the stuff that hurt, it was losing *the city* and
> all that it meant: New Orleans/that part of the South has given a lot to
> the rest of the world, even if it had taken a lot, too. He asked people
> who'd ever enjoyed New Orleans, or something that came from the city to
> pray for the city and those who live there. Or lived there. I was
> driving at the time, and had to pull off the road because I was crying.
> I listen to Clifton Chenier and Sonny Landreth and a host of other
> musicians from that area, or influenced by Cajun sounds. James Lee
> Burke's works are among the very, very few novels that sit on my
> shelves, rather than the library's. I don't pray, but I'd like to help.
> If anyone knows of a practical way a Brit could lend assistance, let me
> know.
>
> I don't even know the name of the interviewee.
>
> my very best wishes to everyone, everywhere.
> sarah

Sarah, you represent what I love and admire so much about the Brits!

Yes, apart from the catastrophic loss of life and property, we have lost an
irreplacable history and the physical effects of a culture that was unique.
I know that given time, the cities can be rebuilt, but the rest is probably
gone forever.

Thank you for understanding that...

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
George Shirley

sarah wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>

>>I'm so glad, George! I didn't know exactly what area you lived in, but
>>thought you were closer to New Orleans.

> Me too. All the footage we've seen in the UK is of New Orleans and
> Biloxi, both of which have clearly been badly hit. I assume small
> settlements between them and nearby are as bad or worse. I'm glad you're
> alright -- but I feel so sorry for those who aren't.
>
> regards
> sarah

Thank you Sarah. We're certainly glad we don't live down there either.
Local news stations are carrying reports of looting, people in NO
shooting at rescue helicopters, ets. Then our state attorney general
said they're not going to arrest people for looting "because they're
just taking food." National TV is showing people stealing clothing,
television sets, etc and I hope those are all made of chocolate. Mostly
only the poorest of the poor staying in the city to ride out the
hurricane along with the elderly who had no means of transportation and
bunch of young male tourist who continue to drink and party. I'm
certainly glad I no longer have to respond with rifle in hand to
"protect" people and property as I would be inclined to want to shoot
the worse ones on the street.

Friend of mine's youngest son works for a power company and is being
sent to New Orleans this week. I hope the young man has a strong stomach
as there are reports of dead bodies floating in the streets and the
water is still rising. We're praying they find the living trapped in
attics before either the rising water or the summer heat gets them.

George

George Shirley

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Wed 31 Aug 2005 01:04:36a, sarah wrote in rec.food.preserving:
>

>>I heard a BBC R4 interview about an hour ago with a university lecturer
>>who got out of town in time, and whose wife and children had travelled
>>up north earlier in the week to take the eldest to college. He said that
>>last Thursday was just another day, Friday the serious warnings started
>>and now... he said he was lucky, he knew he was lucky, his family was ok
>>even if his house was likely to go under in the near future. He said
>>that it wasn't losing the stuff that hurt, it was losing *the city* and
>>all that it meant: New Orleans/that part of the South has given a lot to
>>the rest of the world, even if it had taken a lot, too. He asked people
>>who'd ever enjoyed New Orleans, or something that came from the city to
>>pray for the city and those who live there. Or lived there. I was
>>driving at the time, and had to pull off the road because I was crying.
>>I listen to Clifton Chenier and Sonny Landreth and a host of other
>>musicians from that area, or influenced by Cajun sounds. James Lee
>>Burke's works are among the very, very few novels that sit on my
>>shelves, rather than the library's. I don't pray, but I'd like to help.
>>If anyone knows of a practical way a Brit could lend assistance, let me
>>know.
>>
>>I don't even know the name of the interviewee.
>>
>>my very best wishes to everyone, everywhere.
>>sarah

> Sarah, you represent what I love and admire so much about the Brits!
>
> Yes, apart from the catastrophic loss of life and property, we have lost an
> irreplacable history and the physical effects of a culture that was unique.
> I know that given time, the cities can be rebuilt, but the rest is probably
> gone forever.
>
> Thank you for understanding that...

I agree with Wayne's sentiments entirely Sarah. We Americans know we can
depend on the Brits and the Japanese for help while the rest of the
world sits on their thumbs and gloats at our bad luck.

Anyone who wants to help with donations can send them to the American
Red Cross (address on the web) marked "Katrina." Money is best as the
Red Cross can then purchase what is actually needed. The Salvation Army
is also a good place to put your money. I've already sent one check to
the Red Cross and the wife is going by the local Salvation Army center
this afternoon to leave another. We're a bit long in the tooth to go
down there and do physical worth but we're thinking about taking in a
couple of refugees for our spare room. Several of our neighbors are
doing the same.

Our civic center in nearby Lake Charles has more than 2000 refugees in
it and they're looking for additional space for more. All the fast food
joints are crowded with refugees this morning, particularly the
McDonald's, which, around here have wireless computer service for free.
Stopped at the one near home this morning and a dozen people were
standing around the two computers there looking for someplace to stay
long term. I went out to my car and got my laptop and set it up on a
table and helped them surf. Some motels in the area have been raising
their prices because people are desparate and the state police have been
arresting them for "gouging." Many local churches are opening up their
church halls, school buildings, parsonages, etc and taking in refugees.
Some of these folks have no other place to go, no funds for renting
rooms or houses and some don't even have money for gas to go home if
they could.

Many people don't realize that a third of New Orleans population
consists of the poorest of the poor and that's who is doing the looting
in the main.

God Bless them all.

George

Puester

George Shirley wrote:

> Local news stations are carrying reports of looting, people in NO
> shooting at rescue helicopters, ets. Then our state attorney general
> said they're not going to arrest people for looting "because they're
> just taking food." National TV is showing people stealing clothing,
> television sets, etc and I hope those are all made of chocolate.

And where on earth do they think they will put the looted stuff?
There don't seem to be any homes left standing in the area.

> Friend of mine's youngest son works for a power company and is being
> sent to New Orleans this week. I hope the young man has a strong stomach
> as there are reports of dead bodies floating in the streets and the
> water is still rising. We're praying they find the living trapped in
> attics before either the rising water or the summer heat gets them.

I have lived through many, many hurricanes where there was destruction
and loss along the coast, where my family lost vacation houses, but
the extent of the damage, flooding, and loss far exceeds anything I
could have imagined. How do you begin cleaning up such a scene, much
less rebuild? It's completely overwhelming.

George, I was so happy to hear that you and the Mrs. are safe.
It's hard to hear of all the anonymous deaths and damage, but it is so
much worse when it's a friend, even one we've never met in person.

Stat well!

gloria p

George Shirley

Kathi Jones wrote:
> [...]

> best help their desperate situation, and then sent, this morning, hundreds
> of screened, specially trained, and ambitious Canadian volunteers. More
> people signed up than were chosen, because a catastrophe like this has not
> been dealt with before, and experts of all kinds are needed first, thus
> the screening. More will go when required.
>
> Canadians are very concerned and wanting to help in any way they can, says
> our media. But it's donations to the Red Cross that are most important
> now.
>
> Thanks for sharing this with me, Kathi. I do hope you post something, so
> that people know Canadians and the Brits and the Japanese are supportive!
>
> PS - Believe it or not, I was thinking of the two spare rooms I have in the
> basement, and one upstairs that could take a few refugees, but the

I didn't think to add the Canadians to the "friends of the US list"
Kathi. Down here we just think of you folks as being our "northern
cousins." I have worked with many Canadians in the oil patch over the 45
years I've been oil field trash and, in the main, they've been fine
friends. I know y'all have search and rescue folks that are very well
trained as I've run into them in places where earthquakes/storms etc.
have devastated cities world-wide.

Thank your mother and friends for helping for those of us who are hurting.

George

Kathi Jones

> [...]

best help their desperate situation, and then sent, this morning, hundreds
of screened, specially trained, and ambitious Canadian volunteers. More
people signed up than were chosen, because a catastrophe like this has not
been dealt with before, and experts of all kinds are needed first, thus
the screening. More will go when required.

Canadians are very concerned and wanting to help in any way they can, says
our media. But it's donations to the Red Cross that are most important
now.

Thanks for sharing this with me, Kathi. I do hope you post something, so
that people know Canadians and the Brits and the Japanese are supportive!

PS - Believe it or not, I was thinking of the two spare rooms I have in the
basement, and one upstairs that could take a few refugees, but the

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 31 Aug 2005 09:13:06a, Kathi Jones wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> [...]

> best help their desperate situation, and then sent, this morning,
> hundreds of screened, specially trained, and ambitious Canadian
> volunteers. More people signed up than were chosen, because a
> catastrophe like this has not been dealt with before, and experts of all
> kinds are needed first, thus the screening. More will go when required.
>
> Canadians are very concerned and wanting to help in any way they can,
> says our media. But it's donations to the Red Cross that are most
> important now.
>
> Thanks for sharing this with me, Kathi. I do hope you post something,
> so that people know Canadians and the Brits and the Japanese are
> supportive!
>
> PS - Believe it or not, I was thinking of the two spare rooms I have in
> the basement, and one upstairs that could take a few refugees, but the

Thank you, Kathi. You and your mother, and your fellow Canadiansa are
amazing friends and people.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Loki

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:50:06 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>Thank you Sarah. We're certainly glad we don't live down there either.
>Local news stations are carrying reports of looting, people in NO
>shooting at rescue helicopters, ets. Then our state attorney general
>said they're not going to arrest people for looting "because they're
>just taking food." National TV is showing people stealing clothing,
>television sets, etc and I hope those are all made of chocolate. Mostly
>only the poorest of the poor staying in the city to ride out the
>hurricane along with the elderly who had no means of transportation and
>bunch of young male tourist who continue to drink and party. I'm
>certainly glad I no longer have to respond with rifle in hand to
>"protect" people and property as I would be inclined to want to shoot
>the worse ones on the street.

We have had power outages here. They say they will continue, but we
have not had one tonight. Last night the power was out, no one knew
when it would be on again and we had gangs roaming the streets,
looting. We were not hit by the hurricane at all - mostly rain and
wind but no damage at all.

I sat with a loaded shotgun and my dogs all night.

>Friend of mine's youngest son works for a power company and is being
>sent to New Orleans this week. I hope the young man has a strong stomach
>as there are reports of dead bodies floating in the streets and the
>water is still rising. We're praying they find the living trapped in
>attics before either the rising water or the summer heat gets them.

Yeah and no one is talking about the 'gators...

Loki

sarah

Loki > wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:50:06 -0500, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
> >Thank you Sarah. We're certainly glad we don't live down there either.
> >Local news stations are carrying reports of looting, people in NO
> >shooting at rescue helicopters, ets. Then our state attorney general
> >said they're not going to arrest people for looting "because they're
> >just taking food." National TV is showing people stealing clothing,
> >television sets, etc and I hope those are all made of chocolate. Mostly
> >only the poorest of the poor staying in the city to ride out the
> >hurricane along with the elderly who had no means of transportation and
> >bunch of young male tourist who continue to drink and party. I'm
> >certainly glad I no longer have to respond with rifle in hand to
> >"protect" people and property as I would be inclined to want to shoot
> >the worse ones on the street.

> We have had power outages here. They say they will continue, but we
> have not had one tonight. Last night the power was out, no one knew
> when it would be on again and we had gangs roaming the streets,
> looting. We were not hit by the hurricane at all - mostly rain and
> wind but no damage at all.
>
> I sat with a loaded shotgun and my dogs all night.

I'm really sorry to hear this, although I had sort of assumed it would
happen, given the mix of people in New Orleans (or any big city,
although New Orleans may have had more of one sort than another). I'm
glad to hear your area wasn't badly hit, but it must be difficult to
cope with the refugees. BBC R4 this morning said that the authorities
are likely to expand Baton Rouge to provide permanent housing for some
of those who probably can't go back to NO.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 01 Sep 2005 01:27:22a, sarah wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> Loki > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:50:06 -0500, George Shirley
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Thank you Sarah. We're certainly glad we don't live down there either.
>> >Local news stations are carrying reports of looting, people in NO
>> >shooting at rescue helicopters, ets. Then our state attorney general
>> >said they're not going to arrest people for looting "because they're
>> >just taking food." National TV is showing people stealing clothing,
>> >television sets, etc and I hope those are all made of chocolate. Mostly
>> >only the poorest of the poor staying in the city to ride out the
>> >hurricane along with the elderly who had no means of transportation and
>> >bunch of young male tourist who continue to drink and party. I'm
>> >certainly glad I no longer have to respond with rifle in hand to
>> >"protect" people and property as I would be inclined to want to shoot
>> >the worse ones on the street.

>> We have had power outages here. They say they will continue, but we
>> have not had one tonight. Last night the power was out, no one knew
>> when it would be on again and we had gangs roaming the streets, looting.
>> We were not hit by the hurricane at all - mostly rain and wind but no
>> damage at all.
>>
>> I sat with a loaded shotgun and my dogs all night.

> I'm really sorry to hear this, although I had sort of assumed it would
> happen, given the mix of people in New Orleans (or any big city,
> although New Orleans may have had more of one sort than another). I'm
> glad to hear your area wasn't badly hit, but it must be difficult to
> cope with the refugees. BBC R4 this morning said that the authorities
> are likely to expand Baton Rouge to provide permanent housing for some
> of those who probably can't go back to NO.
>
> regards
> sarah

It's all terribly sad to think of, and almost insurmountable. No doubt,
New Orleans and the Missippi coastal towns/cities will rebuild given time,
but it can never be the same, nor will the lives of those who lived there.
Most likely, even the homes and business buildings that weren't destroyed
by the storm will probably have to be torn down due to extensive water
damage. This will leave practically nothing standing that presently
exists. Not to mention that the jobs the majority of people had no longer
exist either. Even if you wanted to stay and rebuild your own home and
life, along with rebuilding the city, what would you live on?

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
sarah

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Thu 01 Sep 2005 01:27:22a, sarah wrote in rec.food.preserving:
>
> > Loki > wrote:

[-]
> >> We have had power outages here. They say they will continue, but we
> >> have not had one tonight. Last night the power was out, no one knew
> >> when it would be on again and we had gangs roaming the streets, looting.
> >> We were not hit by the hurricane at all - mostly rain and wind but no
> >> damage at all.
> >>
> >> I sat with a loaded shotgun and my dogs all night.

> > I'm really sorry to hear this, although I had sort of assumed it would
> > happen, given the mix of people in New Orleans (or any big city,
> > although New Orleans may have had more of one sort than another). I'm
> > glad to hear your area wasn't badly hit, but it must be difficult to
> > cope with the refugees. BBC R4 this morning said that the authorities
> > are likely to expand Baton Rouge to provide permanent housing for some
> > of those who probably can't go back to NO.

> It's all terribly sad to think of, and almost insurmountable. No doubt,
> New Orleans and the Missippi coastal towns/cities will rebuild given time,
> but it can never be the same, nor will the lives of those who lived there.
> Most likely, even the homes and business buildings that weren't destroyed
> by the storm will probably have to be torn down due to extensive water
> damage. This will leave practically nothing standing that presently
> exists. Not to mention that the jobs the majority of people had no longer
> exist either. Even if you wanted to stay and rebuild your own home and
> life, along with rebuilding the city, what would you live on?

An author named Richard Ford (I don't know his work) was speaking about
it on BBC R4 this morning. He and his wife (ex-city planner of New
Orleans) relatively recently moved away from the city, assuming they'd
be back in a couple of years. He too spoke of the loss of the culture,
the history of the city and its surroundings. It occurred to me while I
was listening that, whatever happens in the future, the 'old' New
Orleans could become the American version of Atlantis, or some other
mythical city. A place where almost anything could have happened,
because so many things did. I enjoy so many things from that area that
I'd have liked to visit the city -- now I can do so only in books, or my
dreams. But it's far worse for the people who lived there.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.
George Shirley

Loki wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:50:06 -0500, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>

>>Thank you Sarah. We're certainly glad we don't live down there either.
>>Local news stations are carrying reports of looting, people in NO
>>shooting at rescue helicopters, ets. Then our state attorney general
>>said they're not going to arrest people for looting "because they're
>>just taking food." National TV is showing people stealing clothing,
>>television sets, etc and I hope those are all made of chocolate. Mostly
>>only the poorest of the poor staying in the city to ride out the
>>hurricane along with the elderly who had no means of transportation and
>>bunch of young male tourist who continue to drink and party. I'm
>>certainly glad I no longer have to respond with rifle in hand to
>>"protect" people and property as I would be inclined to want to shoot
>>the worse ones on the street.

> We have had power outages here. They say they will continue, but we
> have not had one tonight. Last night the power was out, no one knew
> when it would be on again and we had gangs roaming the streets,
> looting. We were not hit by the hurricane at all - mostly rain and
> wind but no damage at all.
>
> I sat with a loaded shotgun and my dogs all night.

You had looting in Monroe! Damn, y'all need some help? I can bring the
ROMEO's (Retired Old Men Eating Out), they're all armed. <VBG>

>>Friend of mine's youngest son works for a power company and is being
>>sent to New Orleans this week. I hope the young man has a strong stomach
>>as there are reports of dead bodies floating in the streets and the
>>water is still rising. We're praying they find the living trapped in
>>attics before either the rising water or the summer heat gets them.

> Yeah and no one is talking about the 'gators...
>
> Loki

Saw a news report this morning that there were sharks swimming on some
of the streets in New Orleans, I would worry more about them than a few
old gators. Last time I was fishing in the Sabine Wildlife Reserve we
saw one almost as long as the 14 foot boat we were in. It was a toss up
as to who was the most worried about the other. Needless to say we don't
mess with gators at any time.

George

George Shirley

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 01 Sep 2005 01:27:22a, sarah wrote in rec.food.preserving:
>

>>Loki > wrote:

>>>We have had power outages here. They say they will continue, but we
>>>have not had one tonight. Last night the power was out, no one knew
>>>when it would be on again and we had gangs roaming the streets, looting.
>>> We were not hit by the hurricane at all - mostly rain and wind but no
>>>damage at all.
>>>
>>>I sat with a loaded shotgun and my dogs all night.

>>I'm really sorry to hear this, although I had sort of assumed it would
>>happen, given the mix of people in New Orleans (or any big city,
>>although New Orleans may have had more of one sort than another). I'm
>>glad to hear your area wasn't badly hit, but it must be difficult to
>>cope with the refugees. BBC R4 this morning said that the authorities
>>are likely to expand Baton Rouge to provide permanent housing for some
>>of those who probably can't go back to NO.
>>
>>regards
>>sarah

> It's all terribly sad to think of, and almost insurmountable. No doubt,
> New Orleans and the Missippi coastal towns/cities will rebuild given time,
> but it can never be the same, nor will the lives of those who lived there.
> Most likely, even the homes and business buildings that weren't destroyed
> by the storm will probably have to be torn down due to extensive water
> damage. This will leave practically nothing standing that presently
> exists. Not to mention that the jobs the majority of people had no longer
> exist either. Even if you wanted to stay and rebuild your own home and
> life, along with rebuilding the city, what would you live on?

There are refugees here asking for work as they are out of funds. If
they are to rebuild New Orleans and other towns and cities the first
construction jobs should be offered to the folks who are displaced. Most
will work if they're paid or housed and fed.

George

George Shirley

sarah wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>

>>On Thu 01 Sep 2005 01:27:22a, sarah wrote in rec.food.preserving:
>>

>>>Loki > wrote:
>>>

> [-]

>>>I'm really sorry to hear this, although I had sort of assumed it would
>>>happen, given the mix of people in New Orleans (or any big city,
>>>although New Orleans may have had more of one sort than another). I'm
>>>glad to hear your area wasn't badly hit, but it must be difficult to
>>>cope with the refugees. BBC R4 this morning said that the authorities
>>>are likely to expand Baton Rouge to provide permanent housing for some
>>>of those who probably can't go back to NO.

>>It's all terribly sad to think of, and almost insurmountable. No doubt,
>>New Orleans and the Missippi coastal towns/cities will rebuild given time,
>>but it can never be the same, nor will the lives of those who lived there.
>>Most likely, even the homes and business buildings that weren't destroyed
>>by the storm will probably have to be torn down due to extensive water
>>damage. This will leave practically nothing standing that presently
>>exists. Not to mention that the jobs the majority of people had no longer
>>exist either. Even if you wanted to stay and rebuild your own home and
>>life, along with rebuilding the city, what would you live on?

> An author named Richard Ford (I don't know his work) was speaking about
> it on BBC R4 this morning. He and his wife (ex-city planner of New
> Orleans) relatively recently moved away from the city, assuming they'd
> be back in a couple of years. He too spoke of the loss of the culture,
> the history of the city and its surroundings. It occurred to me while I
> was listening that, whatever happens in the future, the 'old' New
> Orleans could become the American version of Atlantis, or some other
> mythical city. A place where almost anything could have happened,
> because so many things did. I enjoy so many things from that area that
> I'd have liked to visit the city -- now I can do so only in books, or my
> dreams. But it's far worse for the people who lived there.
>
> regards
> sarah

For average folks like my family New Orleans had few attractions outside
the museums, the Audubon Zoo and the aquarium. I keep wondering what
happened to the D-Day museum, the zoo, the really nice aquarium, haven't
heard much about that except a little bit about the zoo animals being
taken in by ordinary folks.

When we visited NO we were careful to stay away from the French Quarter
and it's noisy bars, alley perverts, and thousands of tourists. The
ambience in other areas was really good and lots of nice people lived
there. Now all we're seeing are the gangsters, thieves and other
low-lifes. That's television news I guess. Lots of nice folks from there
are semi-permanently moving into our area. Our schools are telling them
to enroll their kids here so they won't fall behind and folks are
providing the necessary books, uniforms, free breakfast and lunch, etc.
Our schools are pretty crowded but the school system is talking about
opening up some of the older schools that are closed. The hearts of the
American people and our friends around the world are opening up more and
more.

George

George

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 01 Sep 2005 07:16:37a, George Shirley wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> There are refugees here asking for work as they are out of funds. If
> they are to rebuild New Orleans and other towns and cities the first
> construction jobs should be offered to the folks who are displaced. Most
> will work if they're paid or housed and fed.
>
> George

That would certainly be the best first choice.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 01 Sep 2005 07:14:21a, George Shirley wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> Loki wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:50:06 -0500, George Shirley
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>Thank you Sarah. We're certainly glad we don't live down there either.
>>>Local news stations are carrying reports of looting, people in NO
>>>shooting at rescue helicopters, ets. Then our state attorney general
>>>said they're not going to arrest people for looting "because they're
>>>just taking food." National TV is showing people stealing clothing,
>>>television sets, etc and I hope those are all made of chocolate. Mostly
>>>only the poorest of the poor staying in the city to ride out the
>>>hurricane along with the elderly who had no means of transportation and
>>>bunch of young male tourist who continue to drink and party. I'm
>>>certainly glad I no longer have to respond with rifle in hand to
>>>"protect" people and property as I would be inclined to want to shoot
>>>the worse ones on the street.

>> We have had power outages here. They say they will continue, but we
>> have not had one tonight. Last night the power was out, no one knew
>> when it would be on again and we had gangs roaming the streets, looting.
>> We were not hit by the hurricane at all - mostly rain and wind but no
>> damage at all.
>>
>> I sat with a loaded shotgun and my dogs all night.

> You had looting in Monroe! Damn, y'all need some help? I can bring the
> ROMEO's (Retired Old Men Eating Out), they're all armed. <VBG>
>

>>>Friend of mine's youngest son works for a power company and is being
>>>sent to New Orleans this week. I hope the young man has a strong stomach
>>>as there are reports of dead bodies floating in the streets and the
>>>water is still rising. We're praying they find the living trapped in
>>>attics before either the rising water or the summer heat gets them.

>> Yeah and no one is talking about the 'gators...
>>
>> Loki
>>

> Saw a news report this morning that there were sharks swimming on some
> of the streets in New Orleans, I would worry more about them than a few
> old gators. Last time I was fishing in the Sabine Wildlife Reserve we
> saw one almost as long as the 14 foot boat we were in. It was a toss up
> as to who was the most worried about the other. Needless to say we don't
> mess with gators at any time.
>
> George

Sharks in the streets? OMG, that seems almost impossible to believe. I'm
not sure which would worry me more, sharks or gators. Talk about being
between a rock and a hard place.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
George Shirley

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 01 Sep 2005 07:14:21a, George Shirley wrote in rec.food.preserving:
>

>>Loki wrote:

>>>We have had power outages here. They say they will continue, but we
>>>have not had one tonight. Last night the power was out, no one knew
>>>when it would be on again and we had gangs roaming the streets, looting.
>>> We were not hit by the hurricane at all - mostly rain and wind but no
>>>damage at all.
>>>
>>>I sat with a loaded shotgun and my dogs all night.

>>You had looting in Monroe! Damn, y'all need some help? I can bring the
>>ROMEO's (Retired Old Men Eating Out), they're all armed. <VBG>

>>>Yeah and no one is talking about the 'gators...
>>>
>>>Loki
>>>

>>Saw a news report this morning that there were sharks swimming on some
>>of the streets in New Orleans, I would worry more about them than a few
>>old gators. Last time I was fishing in the Sabine Wildlife Reserve we
>>saw one almost as long as the 14 foot boat we were in. It was a toss up
>>as to who was the most worried about the other. Needless to say we don't
>>mess with gators at any time.
>>
>>George
>>

> Sharks in the streets? OMG, that seems almost impossible to believe. I'm
> not sure which would worry me more, sharks or gators. Talk about being
> between a rock and a hard place.

Gators don't care much for salt water and that's what Lake Ponchatrain
is. They will go in for a brief period or if washed into the Gulf by
floods but they then try to go overland to get back to the swamps.
Alligator gars are a different story, they will live and thrive in salt
water. Two fisherman caught one recently in Toledo Bend reservoir (lake
between Texas and Louisiana0 that weighed more than 244 lbs and was 8
feet two inches long, a new world record on rod and reel. I saw a
picture and it was a humongous fish. They will eat anything they can
bite into. I would worry about gars and sharks if I were down there.

George

Loki

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 09:14:21 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>You had looting in Monroe! Damn, y'all need some help? I can bring the
>ROMEO's (Retired Old Men Eating Out), they're all armed. <VBG>

We had looters in the tiny town outside Monroe where we live. Don't
think Monroe had any problems.

We're not sure what it was. The power was out, no one knew when or if
it would come back on, we've got a bunch of evacuee's here and they're
scared and bored, we're on a highway and we might have been a target
of opportunity. <shakes head>

I'll take you up on that offer if it gets any worse! Chuck is going
to be too busy to mess with home...

>Saw a news report this morning that there were sharks swimming on some
>of the streets in New Orleans, I would worry more about them than a few
>old gators. Last time I was fishing in the Sabine Wildlife Reserve we
>saw one almost as long as the 14 foot boat we were in. It was a toss up
>as to who was the most worried about the other. Needless to say we don't
>mess with gators at any time.

Well, we knew that would happen too. <sigh> Sharks AND gators.
Gotta love it. I presume it's a mix of salt and fresh water (and
toxins but we wont' go there). <sigh>

My step-kid's mom, her mother and her sister-in-law all go gator
hunting most every year - well, if they get drawn that is. Generally
*someone* in the family gets drawn. They brought home a 17' one
several years ago. The kids think the 5' ones are "little".

Loki

Kathi Jones

"Loki" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 09:14:21 -0500, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
> >You had looting in Monroe! Damn, y'all need some help? I can bring the
> >ROMEO's (Retired Old Men Eating Out), they're all armed. <VBG>

> We had looters in the tiny town outside Monroe where we live. Don't
> think Monroe had any problems.
>
> We're not sure what it was. The power was out, no one knew when or if
> it would come back on, we've got a bunch of evacuee's here and they're
> scared and bored, we're on a highway and we might have been a target
> of opportunity. <shakes head>
>
> I'll take you up on that offer if it gets any worse! Chuck is going
> to be too busy to mess with home...
>
> >Saw a news report this morning that there were sharks swimming on some
> >of the streets in New Orleans, I would worry more about them than a few
> >old gators. Last time I was fishing in the Sabine Wildlife Reserve we
> >saw one almost as long as the 14 foot boat we were in. It was a toss up
> >as to who was the most worried about the other. Needless to say we don't
> >mess with gators at any time.

> Well, we knew that would happen too. <sigh> Sharks AND gators.
> Gotta love it. I presume it's a mix of salt and fresh water (and
> toxins but we wont' go there). <sigh>
>
> My step-kid's mom, her mother and her sister-in-law all go gator
> hunting most every year - well, if they get drawn that is. Generally
> *someone* in the family gets drawn. They brought home a 17' one
> several years ago. The kids think the 5' ones are "little".
>
> Loki

and what, Loki, does one do with a 17' gator? Can it be pickled? (on group
topic ;-)

Enquiring (Canadian) minds want to know.........

Kathi

Loki

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 16:33:02 -0400, "Kathi Jones" >
wrote:

>and what, Loki, does one do with a 17' gator? Can it be pickled? (on group
>topic ;-)
>
>Enquiring (Canadian) minds want to know.........

Cure the hide or sell it. You know, nice alligator handbags and
shoes. Then you cook the tail meat. It's not bad. Not sure how to
preserve it though.

Loki

George Shirley

Loki wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 16:33:02 -0400, "Kathi Jones" >
> wrote:
>

>>and what, Loki, does one do with a 17' gator? Can it be pickled? (on group
>>topic ;-)
>>
>>Enquiring (Canadian) minds want to know.........

> Cure the hide or sell it. You know, nice alligator handbags and
> shoes. Then you cook the tail meat. It's not bad. Not sure how to
> preserve it though.
>
> Loki

Let's see, tail meat is $9 a lb, rest of the meat, back and legs, worth
about $6.00 a lb. Skin is worth about $20 a square foot nowadays, and
the stuffed head is worth a good bit as a curio. Hardly any waste on a
gator. Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi have trapping seasons and I'm
not sure about Florida and the other southern states. Some guides around
SW Louisiana are charging several hundred dollars for cheechakos to come
in and shoot a gator. Me, I just run over one once in awhile with the
pickup and occasionally run over a stupid gator with the boat. The meat
is tasty but not worth what they're selling it for, I can get prime beef
for that kind of money.

George

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 01 Sep 2005 01:33:02p, Kathi Jones wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> "Loki" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 09:14:21 -0500, George Shirley
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >You had looting in Monroe! Damn, y'all need some help? I can bring the
>> >ROMEO's (Retired Old Men Eating Out), they're all armed. <VBG>

>> We had looters in the tiny town outside Monroe where we live. Don't
>> think Monroe had any problems.
>>
>> We're not sure what it was. The power was out, no one knew when or if
>> it would come back on, we've got a bunch of evacuee's here and they're
>> scared and bored, we're on a highway and we might have been a target
>> of opportunity. <shakes head>
>>
>> I'll take you up on that offer if it gets any worse! Chuck is going
>> to be too busy to mess with home...
>>
>> >Saw a news report this morning that there were sharks swimming on some
>> >of the streets in New Orleans, I would worry more about them than a
>> >few old gators. Last time I was fishing in the Sabine Wildlife Reserve
>> >we saw one almost as long as the 14 foot boat we were in. It was a
>> >toss up as to who was the most worried about the other. Needless to
>> >say we don't mess with gators at any time.

>> Well, we knew that would happen too. <sigh> Sharks AND gators.
>> Gotta love it. I presume it's a mix of salt and fresh water (and
>> toxins but we wont' go there). <sigh>
>>
>> My step-kid's mom, her mother and her sister-in-law all go gator
>> hunting most every year - well, if they get drawn that is. Generally
>> *someone* in the family gets drawn. They brought home a 17' one
>> several years ago. The kids think the 5' ones are "little".
>>
>> Loki
>>

> and what, Loki, does one do with a 17' gator? Can it be pickled? (on
> group topic ;-)
>
> Enquiring (Canadian) minds want to know.........
>
> Kathi

LOL! First you find a 17' jar with headspace... (unless of course you're
removing the head)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Kathi Jones

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Thu 01 Sep 2005 01:33:02p, Kathi Jones wrote in rec.food.preserving:
>

> > "Loki" > wrote in message
> >> On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 09:14:21 -0500, George Shirley

> >> We had looters in the tiny town outside Monroe where we live. Don't
> >> think Monroe had any problems.
> >>
> >> We're not sure what it was. The power was out, no one knew when or if
> >> it would come back on, we've got a bunch of evacuee's here and they're
> >> scared and bored, we're on a highway and we might have been a target
> >> of opportunity. <shakes head>
> >>
> >> I'll take you up on that offer if it gets any worse! Chuck is going
> >> to be too busy to mess with home...

> >> Well, we knew that would happen too. <sigh> Sharks AND gators.
> >> Gotta love it. I presume it's a mix of salt and fresh water (and
> >> toxins but we wont' go there). <sigh>
> >>
> >> My step-kid's mom, her mother and her sister-in-law all go gator
> >> hunting most every year - well, if they get drawn that is. Generally
> >> *someone* in the family gets drawn. They brought home a 17' one
> >> several years ago. The kids think the 5' ones are "little".
> >>
> >> Loki
> >>

> > and what, Loki, does one do with a 17' gator? Can it be pickled? (on
> > group topic ;-)
> >
> > Enquiring (Canadian) minds want to know.........
> >
> > Kathi

> LOL! First you find a 17' jar with headspace... (unless of course you're
> removing the head)

LOL!! And imagine the time it would have to spend in the pressure canner!

Kathi
laughing so hard, I'm crying! Good one Wayne!

> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>
> Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
> Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Kathi Jones

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
news
> Loki wrote:
> > On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 16:33:02 -0400, "Kathi Jones" >
> > wrote:
> >

> >>and what, Loki, does one do with a 17' gator? Can it be pickled? (on

group
> >>topic ;-)
> >>
> >>Enquiring (Canadian) minds want to know.........

> > Cure the hide or sell it. You know, nice alligator handbags and
> > shoes. Then you cook the tail meat. It's not bad. Not sure how to
> > preserve it though.
> >
> > Loki
> >

> Let's see, tail meat is $9 a lb, rest of the meat, back and legs, worth
> about $6.00 a lb. Skin is worth about $20 a square foot nowadays, and
> the stuffed head is worth a good bit as a curio. Hardly any waste on a
> gator. Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi have trapping seasons and I'm
> not sure about Florida and the other southern states. Some guides around
> SW Louisiana are charging several hundred dollars for cheechakos to come
> in and shoot a gator. Me, I just run over one once in awhile with the
> pickup and occasionally run over a stupid gator with the boat. The meat
> is tasty but not worth what they're selling it for, I can get prime beef
> for that kind of money.
>
> George

Wow....I'm amazed. Of course I know one can buy alligator purses, wallets,
boots etc., but I never really thought about it much. So is gator meat
something you can buy at a local market? Or is it like deer, moose or duck
hunting season here - catch what you're allowed (licensed and got tickets
for)and stock the freezer once a year....?

Me, I'd pick a nice prime rib of beef over any of that stuff anyway.....

Kathi

William R. Watt

> Me, I'd pick a nice prime rib of beef over any of that stuff anyway.....

What do you think they feed the 'gators?
Besides, cows have problems trying to graze while swimming.
What you want to look for is red neck moose.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
George Shirley

Kathi Jones wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> news >
>>Loki wrote:

> group

>>>Cure the hide or sell it. You know, nice alligator handbags and
>>>shoes. Then you cook the tail meat. It's not bad. Not sure how to
>>>preserve it though.
>>>
>>>Loki
>>>

>>Let's see, tail meat is $9 a lb, rest of the meat, back and legs, worth
>>about $6.00 a lb. Skin is worth about $20 a square foot nowadays, and
>>the stuffed head is worth a good bit as a curio. Hardly any waste on a
>>gator. Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi have trapping seasons and I'm
>>not sure about Florida and the other southern states. Some guides around
>>SW Louisiana are charging several hundred dollars for cheechakos to come
>>in and shoot a gator. Me, I just run over one once in awhile with the
>>pickup and occasionally run over a stupid gator with the boat. The meat
>>is tasty but not worth what they're selling it for, I can get prime beef
>>for that kind of money.
>>
>>George
>>

> Wow....I'm amazed. Of course I know one can buy alligator purses, wallets,
> boots etc., but I never really thought about it much. So is gator meat
> something you can buy at a local market? Or is it like deer, moose or duck
> hunting season here - catch what you're allowed (licensed and got tickets
> for)and stock the freezer once a year....?
>
> Me, I'd pick a nice prime rib of beef over any of that stuff anyway.....
>
> Kathi

Most states with gators have gator farms, a lot of the meat comes from
there along with the other gator products. We have a "trapping" season
here in the fall and the trappers, if they get a ticket, can catch the
amount of gators allocated for catch by the Fisheries and Wildlife
folks, or, in the case of federal wildlife reserves, what the feds allow
to be caught. Gators were protected throughout much of their range for
many years and have spread quite a bit. I have friends who make their
living off the swamps and marshes by trapping and fishing. Gator season
is a major part of their income.

Nutria, normally called nutria rats, are once more becoming a part of
their income since the state put a bounty on them at a few bucks per
tail. Some folks eat them, and I have, but still prefer beef or pork.
The hides aren't worth much anymore as people have gotten away from fur
coats, even those from pests like nutria. They eat the roots of marsh
grass and dig holes in levees and aren't native to North America so
they're a pest. I don't think anyone even traps muskrats anymore either
and mink isn't worth much in the wild because we don't have cold weather
down here, the furs aren't worth much. Even when I ran a trap line when
I was a teenager mink weren't worth much. Raccoon skins were worth more
back then and you could eat coon too.

Gator is okay Kathi but not my preferred meat anymore. My grands and
greatgrands like it for the novelty so when they come to visit I put out
a spread of gator meat, turtle, and whatever else is at the fish market.
I eat the shrimp and crawfish and the youngun's eat the "exotic" stuff.
<VBG>

George

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 01 Sep 2005 06:28:37p, Kathi Jones wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

>> > and what, Loki, does one do with a 17' gator? Can it be pickled?
>> > (on group topic ;-)
>> >
>> > Enquiring (Canadian) minds want to know.........
>> >
>> > Kathi

>> LOL! First you find a 17' jar with headspace... (unless of course
>> you're removing the head)

> LOL!! And imagine the time it would have to spend in the pressure
> canner!
>
> Kathi
> laughing so hard, I'm crying! Good one Wayne!

hehehe! You mean you have a pressure canner that it would fit in? Gives
a whole new meaning to potted meat! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
William R. Watt

George Shirley ) writes:

> Nutria, normally called nutria rats, are once more becoming a part of
> their income since the state put a bounty on them at a few bucks per
> tail. Some folks eat them, and I have, but still prefer beef or pork.
> The hides aren't worth much anymore as people have gotten away from fur
> coats, even those from pests like nutria. They eat the roots of marsh
> grass and dig holes in levees and aren't native to North America so
> they're a pest.

Public television broadcasts a documentary from time to time about studying
them in a Maryland sal****er marsh which is disappearing because they eat
the marsh grass.

My grandfather was a logger, farmer, trapper, guide and whatever in the
Great White North. I went back in the bush with him a couple of times over
Christmas holidays when he was in his 70's. I didn't trap anything but I
did fall into a freezing cold beaver pond where he kept a hole open to
trap them, and got sick. What impressed me most was the way a full moon on
a clear winter night reflected off the snow made it bright enough to go
out walking in the bush without a light. Erie white light. Later in life I
used to go out cross country skiing alone on clear moonlit nights.
Otherworldly. One spring he asked me to take a muskrat out of a trap
because I had rubber boots on. He was trying to tell me how to take it out
of the trap because it wasn't quite dead. "Catch it by the tail." It was
the tail tha was caught in the trap which he could not see. He fed the
beaver carcasses to his sled dog. Froze them and split them in two with an
axe to throw to the dog.

Back to preserves - cleaning haws for jelly this afternoon.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Brian Mailman

Say, George (or anyone else who knows the cuisine) .... I'm thinking/in
the pre-pre-planning stage of working with an American Friends Service
Committee subcommittee to cater a small (maybe 20-30) dinner for Katrina
relief, (at about $100/plate, but i'm more more will be collected at the
event). Give me some ideas for appetizers/finger food with the theme?

I realize folks would rather eat than eat about eating so there's not
much "cocktail snacks" in the literature, but.... and yeah, it's also
probably going to be adapted, much to your horror, as "California"
fusion.... this is probably better posted in rfc, but I haven't read it
in some time because of the volume.

B/

George Shirley

Brian Mailman wrote:
> Say, George (or anyone else who knows the cuisine) .... I'm thinking/in
> the pre-pre-planning stage of working with an American Friends Service
> Committee subcommittee to cater a small (maybe 20-30) dinner for Katrina
> relief, (at about $100/plate, but i'm more more will be collected at the
> event). Give me some ideas for appetizers/finger food with the theme?
>
> I realize folks would rather eat than eat about eating so there's not
> much "cocktail snacks" in the literature, but.... and yeah, it's also
> probably going to be adapted, much to your horror, as "California"
> fusion.... this is probably better posted in rfc, but I haven't read it
> in some time because of the volume.
>
> B/

Angels on horseback is popular around here, broiled oysters wrapped in
bacon. Shrimp kabob is also popular, little breads stuffed with shrimp
etouffee, any of these types of food are popular along the coast. Crab
fingers, barbecued crab are others. Do a Google on hors d'ouevres(sp?)

George

Brian Mailman

George Shirley wrote:

> Brian Mailman wrote:
>> Say, George (or anyone else who knows the cuisine) .... I'm thinking/in
>> the pre-pre-planning stage of working with an American Friends Service
>> Committee subcommittee to cater a small (maybe 20-30) dinner for Katrina
>> relief, (at about $100/plate, but i'm more more will be collected at the
>> event). Give me some ideas for appetizers/finger food with the theme?
>>
>> I realize folks would rather eat than eat about eating so there's not
>> much "cocktail snacks" in the literature, but.... and yeah, it's also
>> probably going to be adapted, much to your horror, as "California"
>> fusion.... this is probably better posted in rfc, but I haven't read it
>> in some time because of the volume.

> Angels on horseback is popular around here, broiled oysters wrapped in
> bacon. Shrimp kabob is also popular, little breads stuffed with shrimp
> etouffee, any of these types of food are popular along the coast. Crab
> fingers, barbecued crab are others. Do a Google on hors d'ouevres(sp?)

Thought I did that last year and came up empty, googling both on
'creole' and 'cajun'

It's not crab season here until early November, and our Dungeness isn't
suited for much beyond cracked crab and salads. but that's an idea,
maybe a surimi remoulade...

I got work to do, I can see. Thanks for the suggestions.

B/

zxcvbob

George Shirley wrote:
> Brian Mailman wrote:
>
>> Say, George (or anyone else who knows the cuisine) .... I'm
>> thinking/in the pre-pre-planning stage of working with an American
>> Friends Service Committee subcommittee to cater a small (maybe 20-30)
>> dinner for Katrina relief, (at about $100/plate, but i'm more more
>> will be collected at the event). Give me some ideas for
>> appetizers/finger food with the theme?
>>
>> I realize folks would rather eat than eat about eating so there's not
>> much "cocktail snacks" in the literature, but.... and yeah, it's also
>> probably going to be adapted, much to your horror, as "California"
>> fusion.... this is probably better posted in rfc, but I haven't read
>> it in some time because of the volume.
>>
>> B/

> Angels on horseback is popular around here, broiled oysters wrapped in
> bacon. Shrimp kabob is also popular, little breads stuffed with shrimp
> etouffee, any of these types of food are popular along the coast. Crab
> fingers, barbecued crab are others. Do a Google on hors d'ouevres(sp?)
>
> George

How about large mushroom caps stuffed with crab meat and just a little
swiss cheese on top? I don't know how Creole that really is, but it's
got crab in it so I don't think folks will mind. I've made these before
with canned crabmeat and they were pretty good. I don't think I would
try it with surimi.

Also, boiled crawfish -- the big ones. Whole, not peeled.

Remoulade Sauce, but I'm not sure what exactly it is served with
(probably fried or broiled butterflied shrimp.)

Fried soft-shell crab, if you can find them. Cut in half for a large
appetizer.

Turtle soup? (made with snapping turtles, not sea turtles) Don't let
the turtle bite your fingers off. :-)

-Bob
Brian Mailman

zxcvbob wrote:

> Remoulade Sauce, but I'm not sure what exactly it is served with
> (probably fried or broiled butterflied shrimp.)

Sort of like a tartar sauce. A compound mayo.

> Fried soft-shell crab, if you can find them. Cut in half for a large
> appetizer.

Erf, that's what we call 'starters' here in Northern California these
days. By 'appetizer' I mean 'hors d'ouevre.' 'Sides, I'm wanting to
keep the food costs down. The mushroom cap thang sounds like an idea
and I can play with that.

> Turtle soup? (made with snapping turtles, not sea turtles) Don't let
> the turtle bite your fingers off. :-)

LOL. Remember the "Snapping Turtle Turks" in Yellow Submarine?

B/
zxcvbob

Brian Mailman wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Remoulade Sauce, but I'm not sure what exactly it is served with
>> (probably fried or broiled butterflied shrimp.)

> Sort of like a tartar sauce. A compound mayo.
>
>> Fried soft-shell crab, if you can find them. Cut in half for a large
>> appetizer.

> Erf, that's what we call 'starters' here in Northern California these
> days. By 'appetizer' I mean 'hors d'ouevre.' 'Sides, I'm wanting to
> keep the food costs down. The mushroom cap thang sounds like an idea
> and I can play with that.

For $100 per plate, don't skimp *too* much to keep the costs down. Try
to get someone to donate part of the food or sell it to you at cost.
And figure out some way to serve chicken for part of it.

Boiled/steamed shrimp or crawfish are not as expensive as they sound
because your guests have to peel them and that takes time. (I figured
that one out at a happy hour buffet that had peel'n'eat shrimp.)

>> Turtle soup? (made with snapping turtles, not sea turtles) Don't let
>> the turtle bite your fingers off. :-)

> LOL. Remember the "Snapping Turtle Turks" in Yellow Submarine?

I've never seen Yellow Submarine. Maybe I should rent it...

Best regards,
Bob

*PING* George Shirley Karen Preserving 1 16-01-2006 09:10 PM
Ping: George Shirley ~patches~ Preserving 1 29-08-2005 04:56 PM
ping: George Shirley Lightnin Dave Preserving 2 07-09-2004 09:48 PM
Ping: George Shirley Lightnin Dave Preserving 5 30-08-2004 11:09 PM
Ping: George Shirley Ross Reid Preserving 2 28-08-2004 12:16 AM