Posted to rec.food.cooking
dwacon

Default I Don't Mind the Rind

It is getting harder and harder to find bacon with the rind intact. Even
slab bacon has the rind removed -- and the butcher announces it so proudly.

I miss the rind... even my favorite mail-order butcher no longer has bacon
with rind.

Sigh...

--
dwacon(com)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mary

Why not ask your butcher to sell you bacon with the rind? If the rind
is cut off at the store, the butcher should be able to save bacon for
you with the rind! If the bacon arrives without the rind the butcher
might not be able to help, or he may be able to purchase it from the
supplier with the rind just for you. ASK!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

dwacon wrote:

> It is getting harder and harder to find bacon with the rind intact. Even
> slab bacon has the rind removed -- and the butcher announces it so proudly.
>
> I miss the rind... even my favorite mail-order butcher no longer has bacon
> with rind.

The butcher in our town always has rind on bacon. Maybe I should day always
used to have it. I haven't been there for more than a year. I go to a different
butcher store now.

I always buy may bacon at the butcher store. It's better bacon, nice
combination of fat and lean. It's all bacon, not pumped up with water. It's
about $1 per pound less than pre-packaged at the grocery store. I especially
refuse to buy pre-packaged bacon packaged American style.... so that you cannot
see the cross section and know how fatty or lean it is. If I don't see the
bacon I don't buy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
dwacon

"Mary" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Why not ask your butcher to sell you bacon with the rind? If the rind
> is cut off at the store, the butcher should be able to save bacon for
> you with the rind! If the bacon arrives without the rind the butcher
> might not be able to help, or he may be able to purchase it from the
> supplier with the rind just for you. ASK!

I did ask.

And the guy looked at me like...

Like a goose flying through a snowstorm...
Like a frog sitting in the bottom of a dry pond...
Like I had jumped off a flying saucer and asked him to phone home...

And he recommended I find a butcher shop.

So I plugged "butcher" into my GPS and spent ½ tank of gas going to two
Halal butchers (no pork).

SIGH...

--
The generation that used acid to escape reality
is now using antacid to deal with reality

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 14 Jan 2006 05:11:21p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it dwacon?

> "Mary" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>> Why not ask your butcher to sell you bacon with the rind? If the rind
>> is cut off at the store, the butcher should be able to save bacon for
>> you with the rind! If the bacon arrives without the rind the butcher
>> might not be able to help, or he may be able to purchase it from the
>> supplier with the rind just for you. ASK!

> I did ask.
>
> And the guy looked at me like...
>
> Like a goose flying through a snowstorm...
> Like a frog sitting in the bottom of a dry pond...
> Like I had jumped off a flying saucer and asked him to phone home...
>
> And he recommended I find a butcher shop.
>
> So I plugged "butcher" into my GPS and spent ½ tank of gas going to two
> Halal butchers (no pork).
>
> SIGH...

Is this what you're looking for? There seem to be many sources if you
mailorder.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bubba

dwacon wrote:
> It is getting harder and harder to find bacon with the rind intact. Even
> slab bacon has the rind removed -- and the butcher announces it so proudly.
>
> I miss the rind... even my favorite mail-order butcher no longer has bacon
> with rind.
>
> Sigh...
>

> --
> dwacon(com)

Might want to try WalleyWorld. Here in N. Fla., The WalMart brand bacon
has the rind still on it.

Bubba

--
You wanna measure or you wanna cook?

PORK RIND~!? Bread Basket[_9_] Barbecue 0 25-06-2014 04:29 AM
cheese and rind RichD General Cooking 8 26-06-2007 10:27 AM
lemon meringue pie - do you need the rind? [email protected] Baking 44 17-05-2006 11:37 AM
pickled watermelon rind Scott Preserving 0 12-08-2005 04:47 AM
Cutting orange rind - help! Peter B North Preserving 11 07-02-2005 07:36 PM