Old 03-08-2017, 04:04 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Basil

Yesterday we picked a peck of basil, washed it down, patted it dry
between old towels (handiest things in the world), then into the
dehydrator, all ten piled up. Let the dehydrator run from about 9pm last
night until about 7am this morning. Just right dryness so into our
miscellaneous containers we hoard and now in the darkness of the canning
pantry. That's a lot of basil but our many children, grands, etc. like
to get free stuff and we use a lot of basil in homemade dishes.

Looks like rain all this week but we need the water. So, we're thinking
of another rain dance, behind the six foot fence of course, don't want
to have the police called on me jumping around with feathers and a
breech cloth. It ain't a pretty sight at my age but, sometimes, the rain
does come.

George

Old 06-08-2017, 01:18 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu 03 Aug 2017 08:04:45a, George Shirley told us...

Yesterday we picked a peck of basil, washed it down, patted it dry
between old towels (handiest things in the world), then into the
dehydrator, all ten piled up. Let the dehydrator run from about
9pm last night until about 7am this morning. Just right dryness so
into our miscellaneous containers we hoard and now in the darkness
of the canning pantry. That's a lot of basil but our many
children, grands, etc. like to get free stuff and we use a lot of
basil in homemade dishes.

Looks like rain all this week but we need the water. So, we're
thinking of another rain dance, behind the six foot fence of
course, don't want to have the police called on me jumping around
with feathers and a breech cloth. It ain't a pretty sight at my
age but, sometimes, the rain does come.

George

I wish we had easy access to large quantities of basil. I like to use
it in so many things, and if I make pesto it takes quite a lot of it.
When I do make pesto I freeze it and it tastes like it was just made
when it's thawed and used on pasta or in some other dishes or sauces.

Easy enough Wayne, we lived in a "town house" in Saudi and I made wooden
"pots", filled with store bought dirt, etc. and had all the herbs we
wanted. Get you a couple of pots on your patio, mix "Black Cow", sand
and dirt, plant the seeds and jump back. Your climate is almost the same
as when we lived overseas. Herbs like sun and heat as long as they get
water. A sleeve of basil seeds is dirt cheap at most stores that carry
seeds.

We just pulled our crop of basil and we washed, air dried, then
dehydrated three one gallon plastic bags and into the pantry in the
dark. As the basil was growing we pulled leaves for our iced tea, wife
makes basil tea for coughs, etc. plus she just likes it.

We had a little strip of sand along the patio wall that had some
veggies, etc. growing in it. I built a shade and screwed it on a wall
there and hung my orchid collection under it. They did well and we sold
them at a premium when we left Saudi to go home. We had some exotic
flower trees there too. If the place you live in allows such things you
can do wonders without a lot of money and work.

I'm sitting here hoping the clouds I see this morning have some rain in
them. Electric bills here are going sky high, two days of 100 to 101
Fahrenheit drives the AC harder. This has been a strange year for
Houston area, January dropped two hard freezes on us and now we're
broiling. I could probably make some beef jerky out there.

George
Old 08-08-2017, 01:59 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sun 06 Aug 2017 05:18:59a, George Shirley told us...

[...]

It's 7:00 p.m. and still 105°F., so I can easily appreciate hot
weather issues. It's also monsoon season right now and we've had
spradic thunderstorms and buckets of rain that we're happy to get.

We can have anything we want on our patio, plant wise. I'll see if I
can convince David to try the basil as you suggested. It's worth a
try and much too expensive to buy a few springs at the supermarket
unless you're only using it as a garnish.

We have about half shade on the patio and our snake plants and rubber
trees are huge, as well as the cactii. when we've bought flowering
plants, though, they have simply withered and died from the heat,
even though they get plenty of water.

They have fried eggs on blacktop surfaces out here. You just have to
remember never to go barefoot. :-)

Basil does well in partial shade, ours is planted in a corner of the
fence where the fig tree lives. All of our various herbs live in that
corner. I'm still trying to correct my wife's idea of putting flowers
around the fruit trees and near the herbs. Flowers, in my opinion, just
suck the good stuff out of the ground and lets my herbs and fruit tree
go hungry.

We had lots of rain yesterday and, so far, looks like a lot more today.
Sometimes we are blessed with free water and sometimes we aren't.
Houston area is well known for lots of rain broken by lots of sunshine.
Today we are blessed.

Basil, basil, basil Janet Bostwick General Cooking 13 04-09-2014 11:18 PM
Basil Travis McGee General Cooking 12 16-08-2014 01:00 AM
Basil Oil sf[_9_] General Cooking 5 26-07-2014 09:23 PM
basil oil elaine General Cooking 105 21-09-2007 04:39 AM
This is what to do with all that basil! Jude General Cooking 1 26-06-2005 01:54 AM