Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Basil, basil, basil

My second cutting of basil yielded 4 enormous armfuls of basil. I
gave half to my neighbor. Yesterday I did 4 ice cube trays of a
water/basil slurry and many packages of yummy pesto. I'm using Mark
Bittman's pesto recipe from 'How to Cook Everything.' I like it best
because it is totally simple and inexpensive and I most likely will
always have all the ingredients on hand. I also like the proportions.
(Plus, husband likes it whereas he didn't really care for the ones
with nuts)

BASIC PESTO
9/2/2014
Mark Bittman

In a blender or food processor, combine 1 cup loosely packed basil
leaves, ½ cup finely shredded parmesan cheese, 1/3 cup olive oil, and
1 garlic clove. Process until basil is finely chopped. Makes ½ cup.
Per Tbsp. 111 calories.

I still have plenty of basil sitting with the cut ends in a bowl of
water. I'll process that into a slurry of olive oil and basil and
freeze in ice cube trays. I have some lovely purple basil. That's
going to top something as is. Pizza, Pasta, salad. I don't know yet.

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 18:33:08 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>My second cutting of basil yielded 4 enormous armfuls of basil. I
>gave half to my neighbor. Yesterday I did 4 ice cube trays of a
>water/basil slurry and many packages of yummy pesto. I'm using Mark
>Bittman's pesto recipe from 'How to Cook Everything.' I like it best
>because it is totally simple and inexpensive and I most likely will
>always have all the ingredients on hand. I also like the proportions.
>(Plus, husband likes it whereas he didn't really care for the ones
>with nuts)
>
>BASIC PESTO
>9/2/2014
>Mark Bittman
>
>In a blender or food processor, combine 1 cup loosely packed basil
>leaves, ½ cup finely shredded parmesan cheese, 1/3 cup olive oil, and
>1 garlic clove. Process until basil is finely chopped. Makes ½ cup.
>Per Tbsp. 111 calories.
>
>I still have plenty of basil sitting with the cut ends in a bowl of
>water. I'll process that into a slurry of olive oil and basil and
>freeze in ice cube trays. I have some lovely purple basil. That's
>going to top something as is. Pizza, Pasta, salad. I don't know yet.

Awesome. I just love a decent pesto. Spring has sprung here, and I
have my packet of Basil seeds ready to be sewn. Maybe today if I get
the time...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 10:52:14 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 18:33:08 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>

>>My second cutting of basil yielded 4 enormous armfuls of basil. I
>>gave half to my neighbor. Yesterday I did 4 ice cube trays of a
>>water/basil slurry and many packages of yummy pesto. I'm using Mark
>>Bittman's pesto recipe from 'How to Cook Everything.' I like it best
>>because it is totally simple and inexpensive and I most likely will
>>always have all the ingredients on hand. I also like the proportions.
>>(Plus, husband likes it whereas he didn't really care for the ones
>>with nuts)
>>
>>BASIC PESTO
>>9/2/2014
>>Mark Bittman
>>
>>In a blender or food processor, combine 1 cup loosely packed basil
>>leaves, ½ cup finely shredded parmesan cheese, 1/3 cup olive oil, and
>>1 garlic clove. Process until basil is finely chopped. Makes ½ cup.
>>Per Tbsp. 111 calories.
>>
>>I still have plenty of basil sitting with the cut ends in a bowl of
>>water. I'll process that into a slurry of olive oil and basil and
>>freeze in ice cube trays. I have some lovely purple basil. That's
>>going to top something as is. Pizza, Pasta, salad. I don't know yet.

>Awesome. I just love a decent pesto. Spring has sprung here, and I
>have my packet of Basil seeds ready to be sewn. Maybe today if I get
>the time...

Part of the reason that I have basil growing everywhere is that the
seeds are good for practically ever. I have no idea how many packets
of seed that I have. So I planted 4 different kinds. In pots, in the
ground and some by accident
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 18:33:08 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> My second cutting of basil yielded 4 enormous armfuls of basil. I
> gave half to my neighbor.

Wishing I was your neighbor on harvest day!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 19:08:47 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 10:52:14 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 18:33:08 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>>

>>>My second cutting of basil yielded 4 enormous armfuls of basil. I
>>>gave half to my neighbor. Yesterday I did 4 ice cube trays of a
>>>water/basil slurry and many packages of yummy pesto. I'm using Mark
>>>Bittman's pesto recipe from 'How to Cook Everything.' I like it best
>>>because it is totally simple and inexpensive and I most likely will
>>>always have all the ingredients on hand. I also like the proportions.
>>>(Plus, husband likes it whereas he didn't really care for the ones
>>>with nuts)
>>>
>>>BASIC PESTO
>>>9/2/2014
>>>Mark Bittman
>>>
>>>In a blender or food processor, combine 1 cup loosely packed basil
>>>leaves, ½ cup finely shredded parmesan cheese, 1/3 cup olive oil, and
>>>1 garlic clove. Process until basil is finely chopped. Makes ½ cup.
>>>Per Tbsp. 111 calories.
>>>
>>>I still have plenty of basil sitting with the cut ends in a bowl of
>>>water. I'll process that into a slurry of olive oil and basil and
>>>freeze in ice cube trays. I have some lovely purple basil. That's
>>>going to top something as is. Pizza, Pasta, salad. I don't know yet.

>>Awesome. I just love a decent pesto. Spring has sprung here, and I
>>have my packet of Basil seeds ready to be sewn. Maybe today if I get
>>the time...

>Part of the reason that I have basil growing everywhere is that the
>seeds are good for practically ever. I have no idea how many packets
>of seed that I have. So I planted 4 different kinds. In pots, in the
>ground and some by accident

Thanks for the tip there on the seed longevity, good to know that
about Basil. I actually have a very old purple variety that grows down
at my creek, it's has become naturalised and it originated from the
original settlers to this area. But I still prefer the more tender and
green type of Basil for pesto. There's also some old varieties of
garlic and potatoes to be found around here too, also from the
original settlers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 14:15:34 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 19:08:47 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

snip

>>Part of the reason that I have basil growing everywhere is that the
>>seeds are good for practically ever. I have no idea how many packets
>>of seed that I have. So I planted 4 different kinds. In pots, in the
>>ground and some by accident

>Thanks for the tip there on the seed longevity, good to know that
>about Basil. I actually have a very old purple variety that grows down
>at my creek, it's has become naturalised and it originated from the
>original settlers to this area. But I still prefer the more tender and
>green type of Basil for pesto. There's also some old varieties of
>garlic and potatoes to be found around here too, also from the
>original settlers.

I love stuff like that . . . having naturalized plants. When I see
something like that I wonder about the people and their lives.
NOTE: I do keep my seed packets in a plastic zip bag in a cool, dark
closet.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 20:58:25 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 18:33:08 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> My second cutting of basil yielded 4 enormous armfuls of basil. I
>> gave half to my neighbor.

>Wishing I was your neighbor on harvest day!

No kidding! I saw organic basil for sale at Winco for 4 oz. for $3.89
(in a plastic box) Non organic was 4 oz. for $1.89.
I would happily share with you.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 22:37:12 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 20:58:25 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 18:33:08 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
> >
> >> My second cutting of basil yielded 4 enormous armfuls of basil. I
> >> gave half to my neighbor.

> >Wishing I was your neighbor on harvest day!

> No kidding! I saw organic basil for sale at Winco for 4 oz. for $3.89
> (in a plastic box) Non organic was 4 oz. for $1.89.
> I would happily share with you.
> Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 20:58:25 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 18:33:08 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>>
>>> My second cutting of basil yielded 4 enormous armfuls of basil. I
>>> gave half to my neighbor.

>>Wishing I was your neighbor on harvest day!

>No kidding! I saw organic basil for sale at Winco for 4 oz. for $3.89
>(in a plastic box) Non organic was 4 oz. for $1.89.
>I would happily share with you.
>Janet US

I spent yesterday mowing, my mulching blades made about seven acres
worth of organic pesto. I hate pesto, didja know it's exactly no
different from Canada geese poop... I'd be happy to let you have all
you want. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2014 6:33 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> My second cutting of basil yielded 4 enormous armfuls of basil. I
> gave half to my neighbor. Yesterday I did 4 ice cube trays of a
> water/basil slurry and many packages of yummy pesto. I'm using Mark
> Bittman's pesto recipe from 'How to Cook Everything.' I like it best
> because it is totally simple and inexpensive and I most likely will
> always have all the ingredients on hand. I also like the proportions.
> (Plus, husband likes it whereas he didn't really care for the ones
> with nuts)
>
> BASIC PESTO
> 9/2/2014
> Mark Bittman
>
> In a blender or food processor, combine 1 cup loosely packed basil
> leaves, ½ cup finely shredded parmesan cheese, 1/3 cup olive oil, and
> 1 garlic clove. Process until basil is finely chopped. Makes ½ cup.
> Per Tbsp. 111 calories.
>
> I still have plenty of basil sitting with the cut ends in a bowl of
> water. I'll process that into a slurry of olive oil and basil and
> freeze in ice cube trays. I have some lovely purple basil. That's
> going to top something as is. Pizza, Pasta, salad. I don't know yet.
>
> Janet US

Where are the pine (pinon) nuts?

You simply have to have pine nuts for a good pesto!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 08:26:07 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 20:58:25 -0700, sf > wrote:

>>>Wishing I was your neighbor on harvest day!

>>No kidding! I saw organic basil for sale at Winco for 4 oz. for $3.89
>>(in a plastic box) Non organic was 4 oz. for $1.89.
>>I would happily share with you.
>>Janet US

>I spent yesterday mowing, my mulching blades made about seven acres
>worth of organic pesto. I hate pesto, didja know it's exactly no
>different from Canada geese poop... I'd be happy to let you have all
>you want. LOL

The Canadian geese hang around downtown, not at my place. I'm forced
to grow basil
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 09:19:00 -0600, Mayo > wrote:

> On 9/3/2014 6:33 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> >
> > My second cutting of basil yielded 4 enormous armfuls of basil. I
> > gave half to my neighbor. Yesterday I did 4 ice cube trays of a
> > water/basil slurry and many packages of yummy pesto. I'm using Mark
> > Bittman's pesto recipe from 'How to Cook Everything.' I like it best
> > because it is totally simple and inexpensive and I most likely will
> > always have all the ingredients on hand. I also like the proportions.
> > (Plus, husband likes it whereas he didn't really care for the ones
> > with nuts)
> >
> > BASIC PESTO
> > 9/2/2014
> > Mark Bittman
> >
> > In a blender or food processor, combine 1 cup loosely packed basil
> > leaves, ½ cup finely shredded parmesan cheese, 1/3 cup olive oil, and
> > 1 garlic clove. Process until basil is finely chopped. Makes ½ cup.
> > Per Tbsp. 111 calories.
> >
> > I still have plenty of basil sitting with the cut ends in a bowl of
> > water. I'll process that into a slurry of olive oil and basil and
> > freeze in ice cube trays. I have some lovely purple basil. That's
> > going to top something as is. Pizza, Pasta, salad. I don't know yet.
> >
> > Janet US
> >

> Where are the pine (pinon) nuts?
>
> You simply have to have pine nuts for a good pesto!

Her husband doesn't like them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2014 9:43 AM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 09:19:00 -0600, Mayo > wrote:
>
>> On 9/3/2014 6:33 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>>
>>> My second cutting of basil yielded 4 enormous armfuls of basil. I
>>> gave half to my neighbor. Yesterday I did 4 ice cube trays of a
>>> water/basil slurry and many packages of yummy pesto. I'm using Mark
>>> Bittman's pesto recipe from 'How to Cook Everything.' I like it best
>>> because it is totally simple and inexpensive and I most likely will
>>> always have all the ingredients on hand. I also like the proportions.
>>> (Plus, husband likes it whereas he didn't really care for the ones
>>> with nuts)
>>>
>>> BASIC PESTO
>>> 9/2/2014
>>> Mark Bittman
>>>
>>> In a blender or food processor, combine 1 cup loosely packed basil
>>> leaves, ½ cup finely shredded parmesan cheese, 1/3 cup olive oil, and
>>> 1 garlic clove. Process until basil is finely chopped. Makes ½ cup.
>>> Per Tbsp. 111 calories.
>>>
>>> I still have plenty of basil sitting with the cut ends in a bowl of
>>> water. I'll process that into a slurry of olive oil and basil and
>>> freeze in ice cube trays. I have some lovely purple basil. That's
>>> going to top something as is. Pizza, Pasta, salad. I don't know yet.
>>>
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Where are the pine (pinon) nuts?
>>
>> You simply have to have pine nuts for a good pesto!

> Her husband doesn't like them.

I guess I misread that as walnuts, no, she simply said "nuts" - my bad.

I'm not a fan of walnuts in pesto myself.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 08:26:07 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 20:58:25 -0700, sf > wrote:

>>>Wishing I was your neighbor on harvest day!

>>No kidding! I saw organic basil for sale at Winco for 4 oz. for $3.89
>>(in a plastic box) Non organic was 4 oz. for $1.89.
>>I would happily share with you.
>>Janet US

>I spent yesterday mowing, my mulching blades made about seven acres
>worth of organic pesto. I hate pesto, didja know it's exactly no
>different from Canada geese poop... I'd be happy to let you have all
>you want. LOL

That figures - Seven acres of lawn. It figures alright.

Basil Travis McGee General Cooking 12 16-08-2014 01:00 AM
Basil Oil sf[_9_] General Cooking 5 26-07-2014 09:23 PM
basil oil elaine General Cooking 105 21-09-2007 04:39 AM
Basil mobile Preserving 12 07-08-2007 01:56 PM
This is what to do with all that basil! Jude General Cooking 1 26-06-2005 01:54 AM