Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Basil

I've got a large bunch of basil in the oven to dry; the GF raises it in
huge quantities. I don't have enough recipes for basil that I can use it
up when it's fresh, and the situation is complicated by the fact that
she doesn't like basil with tomato very much. Go figure.

Anyway, I am wondering about basil recipes, and ways to preserve it. I
have canning equipment, but I am not sure exactly how to deal with
canning basil. I've seen advice about blanching it and then freezing. Of
course, there's drying, and I can use it fresh, but there's so much that
it goes bad before I can use it all.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-08-15, Travis McGee > wrote:

> she doesn't like basil with tomato very much. Go figure.

Pesto or pizza sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 03:40:32 -0400, Travis McGee >
wrote:

>I've got a large bunch of basil in the oven to dry; the GF raises it in
>huge quantities. I don't have enough recipes for basil that I can use it
>up when it's fresh, and the situation is complicated by the fact that
>she doesn't like basil with tomato very much. Go figure.
>
>Anyway, I am wondering about basil recipes, and ways to preserve it. I
>have canning equipment, but I am not sure exactly how to deal with
>canning basil. I've seen advice about blanching it and then freezing. Of
>course, there's drying, and I can use it fresh, but there's so much that
>it goes bad before I can use it all.
>
>Any advice would be appreciated.

No need to blanch. Put it in your blender or food processor with a
little water. Blend to make a slurry. Put in ice cube trays. Freeze.
Remove when solid and bag up the cubes. Keep frozen and use as
needed.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I just picked a large quantity of basil. I pick off the leaves, rinse in cool water, pat dry with paper towel, toss in food processor with olive oil and chop. Then I pour the mixture into ice cube trays. When frozen, pop them out and place them in a freezer Zip-Lock bag and put back in freezer.

When I want pesto, I just heat one or two cubes in a pan, add garlic and Parmesan, then pour over pasta, or I add a couple blocks to spaghetti sauce. I've added a cube or two to home made Alfredo sauce, or thaw out a cube and spread on a pizza crust, then add cheese before baking.

If you're dehydrating the leaves, just crumble them into a jar. I've never heard of canning basic, but I guess anything is possible.

Denise in NH

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/15/2014 9:18 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-08-15, Travis McGee > wrote:
>
>> she doesn't like basil with tomato very much. Go figure.

> Pesto or pizza sauce.

I agree with the pesto suggestion. Also as others have suggested, use
the blender/FP to mince the basil and freeze it in ice cubes. Add some
to soup or stock as needed.

His g/f doesn't like it in tomato sauce, so [what we think of as] pizza
sauce is probably out of the question.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I've got a large bunch of basil in the oven to dry; the GF raises it in
>huge quantities. I don't have enough recipes for basil that I can use it
>up when it's fresh, and the situation is complicated by the fact that
>she doesn't like basil with tomato very much. Go figure.
>
>Anyway, I am wondering about basil recipes, and ways to preserve it. I
>have canning equipment, but I am not sure exactly how to deal with
>canning basil. I've seen advice about blanching it and then freezing. Of
>course, there's drying, and I can use it fresh, but there's so much that
>it goes bad before I can use it all.
>
>Any advice would be appreciated.

Here are a couple of ideas
http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...il-leaves.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/8l6vyw6

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...-lemonade.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/klvo2mo

Hope that helps

koko
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 14:20:29 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 8/15/2014 9:18 AM, notbob wrote:
> > On 2014-08-15, Travis McGee > wrote:
> >
> >> she doesn't like basil with tomato very much. Go figure.

> > Pesto or pizza sauce.
> >

> I agree with the pesto suggestion. Also as others have suggested, use
> the blender/FP to mince the basil and freeze it in ice cubes. Add some
> to soup or stock as needed.
>
> His g/f doesn't like it in tomato sauce, so [what we think of as] pizza
> sauce is probably out of the question.

I think it's rather odd of her to be growing so much without a plan
about how to use it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 11:25:48 -0700, koko > wrote:

> Here are a couple of ideas
> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...il-leaves.html
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/8l6vyw6
>
> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...-lemonade.html
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/klvo2mo
>
> Hope that helps

Basil-Lemon salad dressing is also excellent.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/15/2014 3:33 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 14:20:29 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Pesto or pizza sauce.
>>>

>> I agree with the pesto suggestion. Also as others have suggested, use
>> the blender/FP to mince the basil and freeze it in ice cubes. Add some
>> to soup or stock as needed.
>>
>> His g/f doesn't like it in tomato sauce, so [what we think of as] pizza
>> sauce is probably out of the question.
>>

> I think it's rather odd of her to be growing so much without a plan
> about how to use it.

Maybe she just likes plants.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 15:57:02 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 8/15/2014 3:33 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 14:20:29 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> >> I agree with the pesto suggestion. Also as others have suggested, use
> >> the blender/FP to mince the basil and freeze it in ice cubes. Add some
> >> to soup or stock as needed.
> >>
> >> His g/f doesn't like it in tomato sauce, so [what we think of as] pizza
> >> sauce is probably out of the question.
> >>

> > I think it's rather odd of her to be growing so much without a plan
> > about how to use it.
> >

> Maybe she just likes plants.

I guess it can become compost or hoed under because it seems rather
useless to be offering suggestions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 15:57:02 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/15/2014 3:33 PM, sf wrote:

>> > I think it's rather odd of her to be growing so much without a plan
>> > about how to use it.
>> >

>> Maybe she just likes plants.
>>

> I guess it can become compost or hoed under because it seems rather
> useless to be offering suggestions.

Perhaps she just loves to see it and the scent. I am like that with some
herbs

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 15, 2014 5:40:32 PM UTC+10, Travis McGee wrote:

> Anyway, I am wondering about basil recipes, and ways to preserve it.

Thinly slice some chicken (breast or thighs), onion, maybe some Chinese greens, capsicum/sweet peppers, chillies. Fry with garlic, ginger, and some fish sauce or prawn paste. At the end of frying everything, add a huge bunch of basil leaves, and stir in. Could have some cashews (or peanuts) in there somewhere. Could use pork instead of chicken.

Fry thin pork slices, some sliced citrus (lemon, orange, kumquat, kalamansi), chilli, maybe some fish sauce or prawn paste or soy sauce, and at the end, add lots of basil.

Pesto pizza. Can do non-tomato; just put lots of pesto on a pizza base and cook. No cheese required, but you can try it.

Pesto and sliced roast pork sandwiches.

Bean, pork, and basil soup. Add basil at end.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 22:28:34 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 15:57:02 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Maybe she just likes plants.

Maybe she's smoking it.

Basil, basil, basil Janet Bostwick General Cooking 13 04-09-2014 11:18 PM
Basil Oil sf[_9_] General Cooking 5 26-07-2014 09:23 PM
basil oil elaine General Cooking 105 21-09-2007 04:39 AM
Basil mobile Preserving 12 07-08-2007 01:56 PM
This is what to do with all that basil! Jude General Cooking 1 26-06-2005 01:54 AM