Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Basil Oil

I can't say I've ever had basil oil on anything before last weekend
when I had it twice in two different places and both applications were
an epiphany for me. The first time was a bacon wrapped shrimp
appetizer that has a basil leaf between the shrimp and the bacon that
are served on either a skewer or toothpick (depending on how fancy the
occasion is). They were resting on a puddle of basil oil, so you
could apply as much or as little of the oil as you wanted to the
shrimp.

The basil oil was drizzled over caprese salad the second time. The
salad was extra good, made with multi colored heirloom tomatoes and
mozzarella di bufala - but that basil oil was icing on the cake. For
me caprese salad always need more than just olive oil and this hit the
spot for me.

Here is one of many recipes for how to make basil oil on the net - but
it has other flavored oil recipes for added value)
http://leitesculinaria.com/95008/rec...used-oils.html
Most don't call for straining... but what I had was strained both
times. Maybe it was strained through a cloth filter, maybe a very
fine meshed strainer - but there was very little solid material and a
LOT of basil flavor. There were little flecks of basil in the salad
oil, but it was just green, basil flavored, oil with the shrimp.

If you have a bumper crop of basil (or it's on sale, cheap, at the
grocery store), give basil oil a try!

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> I can't say I've ever had basil oil on anything before last weekend
> when I had it twice in two different places and both applications were
> an epiphany for me. The first time was a bacon wrapped shrimp
> appetizer that has a basil leaf between the shrimp and the bacon that
> are served on either a skewer or toothpick (depending on how fancy the
> occasion is). They were resting on a puddle of basil oil, so you
> could apply as much or as little of the oil as you wanted to the
> shrimp.
>
> The basil oil was drizzled over caprese salad the second time. The
> salad was extra good, made with multi colored heirloom tomatoes and
> mozzarella di bufala - but that basil oil was icing on the cake. For
> me caprese salad always need more than just olive oil and this hit the
> spot for me.
>
> Here is one of many recipes for how to make basil oil on the net - but
> it has other flavored oil recipes for added value)
> http://leitesculinaria.com/95008/rec...used-oils.html
> Most don't call for straining... but what I had was strained both
> times. Maybe it was strained through a cloth filter, maybe a very
> fine meshed strainer - but there was very little solid material and a
> LOT of basil flavor. There were little flecks of basil in the salad
> oil, but it was just green, basil flavored, oil with the shrimp.
>
> If you have a bumper crop of basil (or it's on sale, cheap, at the
> grocery store), give basil oil a try!

Thanks I will give that a try. I expect you are are aware but I will say it
anyway, not to try and store it outside of the fridge. It won't keep and
botulism could be a danger.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Friday, July 25, 2014 7:23:45 PM UTC-7, sf wrote:
> I can't say I've ever had basil oil on anything before last weekend
>
> when I had it twice in two different places and both applications were
>
> an epiphany for me. The first time was a bacon wrapped shrimp
>
> appetizer that has a basil leaf between the shrimp and the bacon that
>
> are served on either a skewer or toothpick (depending on how fancy the
>
> occasion is). They were resting on a puddle of basil oil, so you
>
> could apply as much or as little of the oil as you wanted to the
>
> shrimp.
>

> The basil oil was drizzled over caprese salad the second time. The
>
> salad was extra good, made with multi colored heirloom tomatoes and
>
> mozzarella di bufala - but that basil oil was icing on the cake. For
>
> me caprese salad always need more than just olive oil and this hit the
>
> spot for me.
>

> Here is one of many recipes for how to make basil oil on the net - but
>
> it has other flavored oil recipes for added value)
>
> http://leitesculinaria.com/95008/rec...used-oils.html
>
> Most don't call for straining... but what I had was strained both
>
> times. Maybe it was strained through a cloth filter, maybe a very
>
> fine meshed strainer - but there was very little solid material and a
>
> LOT of basil flavor. There were little flecks of basil in the salad
>
> oil, but it was just green, basil flavored, oil with the shrimp.
>

> If you have a bumper crop of basil (or it's on sale, cheap, at the
>
> grocery store), give basil oil a try!
>

> --
>
> All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Great reminder. I've got a big pot of basil that I need to do stuff with. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 14:05:32 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> Thanks I will give that a try. I expect you are are aware but I will say it
> anyway, not to try and store it outside of the fridge. It won't keep and
> botulism could be a danger.

I think all the web sites I read put a limit on the number of days to
keep it and said to refrigerate. Of course, the basil oil I had was
from a restaurant and a caterer, so both were high volume situations
where it is made on a daily basis. In spite of the blanching step
included in the url, I'd still strain it because I liked the green
tinge with tiny flecks of solid material in the oil at the most. I
don't want a thick leafy oil because I can do that any time I want.
Straining it was a new concept to me and I was impressed because the
basil flavor was so intense. I can always freeze it if I make too
much.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 14:05:32 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> Thanks I will give that a try. I expect you are are aware but I will say
>> it
>> anyway, not to try and store it outside of the fridge. It won't keep
>> and
>> botulism could be a danger.

> I think all the web sites I read put a limit on the number of days to
> keep it and said to refrigerate. Of course, the basil oil I had was
> from a restaurant and a caterer, so both were high volume situations
> where it is made on a daily basis. In spite of the blanching step
> included in the url, I'd still strain it because I liked the green
> tinge with tiny flecks of solid material in the oil at the most. I
> don't want a thick leafy oil because I can do that any time I want.
> Straining it was a new concept to me and I was impressed because the
> basil flavor was so intense. I can always freeze it if I make too
> much.

Sounds really good!
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 14:05:32 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks I will give that a try. I expect you are are aware but I will
>>> say it
>>> anyway, not to try and store it outside of the fridge. It won't keep
>>> and
>>> botulism could be a danger.

>> I think all the web sites I read put a limit on the number of days to
>> keep it and said to refrigerate. Of course, the basil oil I had was
>> from a restaurant and a caterer, so both were high volume situations
>> where it is made on a daily basis. In spite of the blanching step
>> included in the url, I'd still strain it because I liked the green
>> tinge with tiny flecks of solid material in the oil at the most. I
>> don't want a thick leafy oil because I can do that any time I want.
>> Straining it was a new concept to me and I was impressed because the
>> basil flavor was so intense. I can always freeze it if I make too
>> much.

> Sounds really good!
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Basil, basil, basil Janet Bostwick General Cooking 13 04-09-2014 11:18 PM
Basil Travis McGee General Cooking 12 16-08-2014 01:00 AM
basil oil elaine General Cooking 105 21-09-2007 04:39 AM
Basil mobile Preserving 12 07-08-2007 01:56 PM
This is what to do with all that basil! Jude General Cooking 1 26-06-2005 01:54 AM