Old 07-10-2004, 05:15 PM
rogers news

Default Jar Seal and Headspace

I have a question regarding jar seals and headspace.

I canned 3 jars of home made apple pie filling

2 of the jars after processing had headspace remaining of about 1" as per
recipe. The one remaining jar appears to have no headspace left and appears
as thought some of the liquid may have been expelled from the jar during
processing. All jars were processed with 1" headspace to start.

The jar in question appears to be sealed (lid is concave). Pressing on the
lid does not create a pop back. However, using the method of tapping the lid
with a spoon produces a dull sound. USDA says that any one of 3 methods is
valid for testing seals. This jar meets the visual and finger push test but
not the spoon test, seemingly because the filling is touching the bottom
part of the lid.

I assume that this jar is ok. Can someone offer a second professional
opinion

Thanks,

Jason

Old 08-10-2004, 05:25 PM
pennyaline

"rogers news" wrote:

snip to the chase

I assume that this jar is ok. Can someone offer a second professional
opinion

Refrigerate this jar promptly and make a pie with it this weekend

Old 09-10-2004, 03:45 AM
Jason

For anyone else who is wondering. I emailed my jar manufacturers here in
Canada, Bernardin, regarding this issue and I have attached their response
for you all to view.

"rogers news" wrote in message
[...]

Attached Files
File Type: doc Siphoning.doc (47.0 KB, 41 views)
Old 12-10-2004, 06:18 PM
\(`. \(`.MaxP..\).\)

"rogers news" wrote in message
I have a question regarding jar seals and headspace.

I canned 3 jars of home made apple pie filling

Chances you'll post the recipe here ?
Cheers

--

MaxP

Old 13-10-2004, 04:17 PM
Jason

Of course.

PS: I used that jar of apple pie filling for thanksgiving this weekend here
in Canada. It was one of the best apple pies i've ever had. It's almost an
identical recipe to that of the USDA's apple pie filling recipe (difference
is that USDA's recipe uses apple juice and less water). The recipe was
included with Clear Jel starch.

Jason

"(`. (`.MaxP..).)"
wrote in message

"rogers news" wrote in message
I have a question regarding jar seals and headspace.

I canned 3 jars of home made apple pie filling

Chances you'll post the recipe here ?
Cheers

--

MaxP

Attached Files
File Type: doc Apple Pie Filling.doc (34.0 KB, 39 views)
Old 13-10-2004, 07:13 PM
Jason

wrote in message

"rogers news" wrote in message
I have a question regarding jar seals and headspace.

I canned 3 jars of home made apple pie filling

Chances you'll post the recipe here ?
Cheers

--

MaxP

Attached Files
File Type: doc Apple Pie Filling.doc (34.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 14-10-2004, 04:34 PM
Jason

wrote in message

"rogers news" wrote in message
I have a question regarding jar seals and headspace.

I canned 3 jars of home made apple pie filling

Chances you'll post the recipe here ?
Cheers

--

MaxP

Attached Files
File Type: doc Apple Pie Filling.doc (34.0 KB, 41 views)
Old 14-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Jason

Of course.

PS: I used that jar of apple pie filling for thanksgiving this weekend here
in Canada. It was one of the best apple pies i've ever had. It's almost an
identical recipe to that of the USDA's apple pie filling recipe (difference
is that USDA's recipe uses apple juice and less water). The recipe was
included with Clear Jel starch.

Apple Pie Filling

Ingredients

8 cups
Apples - Peeled, Cored, and Sliced (packed)

1 2/3 cups
Granulated Sugar

2 1/2 cups
Cold Water

1/2 cup - 2/3* cup
Clear Jel Starch (see Clear Jel Starch recipe)

1 tsp
Cinnamon

1 tsp
Nutmeg

3 tbsp - 1/4 cup
Lemon Juice

1 tsp
Ascorbic Acid

Instructions

a.. Mutsu (Crispin), Granny Smith, Northern Spy, or Courtland apples are
best for tartness.
b.. Place required mason jars on rack in boiling water canner; cover jars
with water and heat to a simmer (180 F). Keep jars and SNAP Lids hot until
ready to use.
c.. Peel, core and slice apples. Place in anti-browning solution of 1 tsp
ascorbic acid per 4 L of water. Remove from solution draining well when
ready for use.
d.. In a large, deep stainless steel saucepan, whisk together sugar, Clear
Jel, nutmeg and cinnamon mixing thoroughly. Slowly stir in water until well
mixed.
e.. Using medium heat, bring mixture to a boil. Cook and stir frequently
just until mixture thickens and begins to bubble.
f.. Stir in lemon juice and boil 1 minute longer, stirring constantly.
g.. Fold in apples immediately. Cook and stir until completely heated
through and mixture boils.
h.. Immediately ladle hot mixture into a hot jar to within 1 inch of top
rim (headspace). Using non-metallic utensil, remove air bubbles. Wipe jar
rim using damp towel removing to remove stickiness. Centre SNAP Lid on jar;
apply screw band securely and firmly until resistance is met - fingertip
tight. Do not over tighten.
i.. Place jar in canner; repeat for remaining pie filling. Cover canner;
bring water to a boil. At altitudes up to 1,000 ft process as specified.
j.. Heat process 30 minutes in a boiling water bath. Remove canner from
heat and wait 5 minutes before removing jars.
k.. Remove jars without tilting. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO
NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.
l.. After cooling check jar seals. Sealed lids curve downward. Remove
screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or
replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark
place.
Yields: 2 x 1L Jars (*Noted amount of Clear Jel produces very thick filling)

Jason

Old 16-10-2004, 04:12 PM
Annie

Jason wrote:
clipped

1/2 cup - 2/3* cup
Clear Jel Starch (see Clear Jel Starch recipe)

Wondering if you could supply the recipe for the Clear Jel Starch
Recipe?

Thanks

Old 17-10-2004, 07:45 PM
Jason

You'll have to obtain clear jel starch from a bulk food retailers. Its not
sold in grocery stores.

I searched all around southwest ontario and found only a couple bulk
retailers that carried it.

Outside of this area you're guess is as good as mine. www.KitchenKrafts.com
also carries Clear Jel Starch.

Jason

Headspace [email protected] Preserving 6 08-07-2008 05:40 PM
Sufficient primary headspace. Wayne Harris Winemaking 3 24-05-2008 03:12 AM
Instantaneous Seal! commercialcanner Preserving 7 22-09-2005 06:12 PM
SEAL-A-JUICER ? Hahabogus General Cooking 2 22-01-2005 07:57 PM
headspace grew Kathi Preserving 8 14-10-2004 09:33 PM