Old 21-05-2008, 05:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Sufficient primary headspace.

Well, I just invested in four 32-gallon Brute barrels that will serve
as my primaries.
Today i am testing my new diaphram pump from Morewine, and marking my
barrels for volume.

And generally playing in my wine cellar. :-)

My plan was to use them to hold 25 gallons of juice each. But in
filling them with 25 gallons of water, I noticed that i only have
about 6 inches of headspace. The barrel is about 20 inches in
diameter. I would esitmate that the proportion of wine in the barrel
is about 85% full. This gives me only 4.3 cuft of headspace.

Depending on fermentation rates, 80% full 5-gallon buckets can get
full when full-on fermentation.

Having never fermented this large of a batch, i don't know what to
expect.

Is this too little headspace? Should i back it down to 20 gallons?

Old 21-05-2008, 10:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

we've always erred on the conservative side; two thirds of the
primary/barrel's volume is our headspace rule. So, the low 20's would be my
belt & suspenders limit on headspace with grapes. Coming down to the
basement at 5:30 AM in my pjammies & finding "must overboard" isn't a
pleasant way to start my day... We've never just juiced it, so no experience
there. just MHO regards, bob

Old 23-05-2008, 05:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On May 21, 5:04*pm, "bobdrob" wrote:
[...]

Is this too little headspace? *Should i back it down to 20 gallons?- Hide quoted text -

Oh yeah. I have overflowed too many primaries, it's messy. I like
2/3 to 3/4 as a rule. I do the same with beer.

Joe
Old 24-05-2008, 03:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On May 23, 12:42*pm, Joe Sallustio wrote:
[...]

Joe- Hide quoted text -

I am buying a 5th barrel and thus taking my 32 gallon primaries from
25 down to 20 gallons per. That will give me about a 30% free
headspace..
Thanks all.

Making Africa Self-Sufficient Rail Expansion General Cooking 0 29-06-2009 01:35 PM
Headspace [email protected] Preserving 6 08-07-2008 05:40 PM
Self-sufficient in YEAST for baking (and brewing) [email protected] Baking 15 03-03-2005 06:23 AM
Jar Seal and Headspace rogers news Preserving 26 18-10-2004 05:03 PM
headspace grew Kathi Preserving 8 14-10-2004 09:33 PM