rogers news

Default Jar Seal and Headspace

I have a question regarding jar seals and headspace.

I canned 3 jars of home made apple pie filling

2 of the jars after processing had headspace remaining of about 1" as per
recipe. The one remaining jar appears to have no headspace left and appears
as thought some of the liquid may have been expelled from the jar during
processing. All jars were processed with 1" headspace to start.

The jar in question appears to be sealed (lid is concave). Pressing on the
lid does not create a pop back. However, using the method of tapping the lid
with a spoon produces a dull sound. USDA says that any one of 3 methods is
valid for testing seals. This jar meets the visual and finger push test but
not the spoon test, seemingly because the filling is touching the bottom
part of the lid.

I assume that this jar is ok. Can someone offer a second professional
opinion

Thanks,

Jason