Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Headspace

I made cherry jam last night. One of the jars has about 3/4" of
headspace instead of the 1/4" specified in the BBB recipe. They all
pinged up just lovely.

Can I still store the short one like the other 2 or do I have to put
it in the fridge and use it now?
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 19:23:45 -0500, George Shirley

>> I made cherry jam last night. One of the jars has about 3/4" of
>> headspace instead of the 1/4" specified in the BBB recipe. They all
>> pinged up just lovely.
>>
>> Can I still store the short one like the other 2 or do I have to put
>> it in the fridge and use it now?

>I've had that happen before and just stored them as I did the rest of
>the batch. As long as it is sealed it should stay good.

Thanks, Barb and George! I want to save as much as I can for the
winter.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> wrote in message
>I made cherry jam last night. One of the jars has about 3/4" of
> headspace instead of the 1/4" specified in the BBB recipe. They all
> pinged up just lovely.
>
> Can I still store the short one like the other 2 or do I have to put
> it in the fridge and use it now?

I always leave that much and never had a problem. Then again, at my altitude
(>4,000 ft) we are advised to leave a bit extra. Can't remember the
reasoning for this right now, but there you go.
Edrena