Scott

Default "swing top" jars

Someone I know is looking for very large (half gallon or larger)
"swing-top" type jelly jars--the type that aren't really used for jelly
making these days. They don't want them for preserving.

Does anyone know of any Internet sources for them?

please mail OT responses only
zxcvbob

Scott wrote:

> Someone I know is looking for very large (half gallon or larger)
> "swing-top" type jelly jars--the type that aren't really used for jelly
> making these days. They don't want them for preserving.
>
> Does anyone know of any Internet sources for them?

I saw some 1 gallon jars like that tonite at Wal-mart. They were about
$12 each. I was considering posting something stupid here about what
the processing time might be a whole small turkey.

Bob
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Scott > wrote:

> Someone I know is looking for very large (half gallon or larger)
> "swing-top" type jelly jars--the type that aren't really used for jelly
> making these days. They don't want them for preserving.
>
> Does anyone know of any Internet sources for them?

Swing top? Glass lids with rubber gasket and bail-type closure?
Pier I
Cost Plus World Imports
Target
K-Mart
Walmart
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

Scott

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Swing top? Glass lids with rubber gasket and bail-type closure?
> Pier I
> Cost Plus World Imports
> Target
> K-Mart
> Walmart

Didn't find them at any of those (esp. not in 1 gallon sizes) ...
canning stuff is harder to find this time of year around here, anyway.

I *did* find the proper name: ideal jars. Who'da thunkit. That helped me
steer to some local places.

please mail OT responses only
Scott

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Swing top? Glass lids with rubber gasket and bail-type closure?
> Pier I
> Cost Plus World Imports
> Target
> K-Mart
> Walmart

Didn't find them at any of those (esp. not in 1 gallon sizes) ...
canning stuff is harder to find this time of year around here, anyway.

I *did* find the proper name: ideal jars. Who'da thunkit. That helped me
steer to some local places.

please mail OT responses only

George Shirley

Scott wrote:
> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>

>>Swing top? Glass lids with rubber gasket and bail-type closure?
>>Pier I
>>Cost Plus World Imports
>>Target
>>K-Mart
>>Walmart

> Didn't find them at any of those (esp. not in 1 gallon sizes) ...
> canning stuff is harder to find this time of year around here, anyway.
>
> I *did* find the proper name: ideal jars. Who'da thunkit. That helped me
> steer to some local places.

AKA "lightning tops".

George

George Shirley

Scott wrote:
> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>

>>Swing top? Glass lids with rubber gasket and bail-type closure?
>>Pier I
>>Cost Plus World Imports
>>Target
>>K-Mart
>>Walmart

> Didn't find them at any of those (esp. not in 1 gallon sizes) ...
> canning stuff is harder to find this time of year around here, anyway.
>
> I *did* find the proper name: ideal jars. Who'da thunkit. That helped me
> steer to some local places.

AKA "lightning tops".

George

pennyaline

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. ..
> Scott wrote:
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >

> >>Swing top? Glass lids with rubber gasket and bail-type closure?
> >>Pier I
> >>Cost Plus World Imports
> >>Target
> >>K-Mart
> >>Walmart

> > Didn't find them at any of those (esp. not in 1 gallon sizes) ...
> > canning stuff is harder to find this time of year around here, anyway.
> >
> > I *did* find the proper name: ideal jars. Who'da thunkit. That helped me
> > steer to some local places.
> >

> AKA "lightning tops".

Maybe not bale closures but hasp closures ... did the OP mean a wire
snap-down closure on the front of the jar that snaps over a corresponding
loop on the hinged lid? That's a hasp.

I haven't seen jars or crocks like these in gallon sizes for years, and
those were for legit pickling and preserving. Many smaller versions of the
design are available, but they're woefully cheap and sometimes they're
plastic. Strictly decorative, in my opinion, with zero sealing ability.

Not Really TN: Blind wines, I swing and miss DaleW Wine 8 27-01-2011 04:58 AM
Can opener better than the Swing-A-Way 407? Bert Hyman Cooking Equipment 8 17-07-2010 05:49 PM
Swing Dancing/Dining/Formal wear in San Francisco? Alycia Restaurants 2 26-01-2005 02:06 AM
Swing top bottles Jethro Winemaking 4 30-03-2004 12:31 AM
I hate bottling.....Grolsch swing tops Kevin Winemaking 3 17-02-2004 08:05 PM