Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Can opener better than the Swing-A-Way 407?

We replaced our aging Swing-A-Way with another just like it a couple of
years ago when it started dropping cans a few turns in, but the "new"
one is now exhibiting the same failure.

Did we just get a dud? Have they changed the construction of cans in
some way that the opener can't handle? Has the 407 gone the way of all
tried-and-true products from my youth?

Should I just go to the hardware store and get another 407, or is there
a better non-electric opener?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Bert Hyman" > wrote in message
. ..
| We replaced our aging Swing-A-Way with another just like it a couple of
| years ago when it started dropping cans a few turns in, but the "new"
| one is now exhibiting the same failure.
|
| Did we just get a dud? Have they changed the construction of cans in
| some way that the opener can't handle? Has the 407 gone the way of all
| tried-and-true products from my youth?
|
| Should I just go to the hardware store and get another 407, or is there
| a better non-electric opener?

They sold out to China, the new ones are made there and they
are miserable. Try to find one that says "Made in USA," my
Bed Bath & Beyond just got a stock of the US products. If not
google the prior thread on this subject about a year ago here.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In "pavane"
> wrote:

> "Bert Hyman" > wrote in message
> . ..
>| We replaced our aging Swing-A-Way with another just like it a couple
>| of years ago when it started dropping cans a few turns in, but the
>| "new" one is now exhibiting the same failure.
>|
>| Did we just get a dud? Have they changed the construction of cans in
>| some way that the opener can't handle? Has the 407 gone the way of
>| all tried-and-true products from my youth?
>|
>| Should I just go to the hardware store and get another 407, or is
>| there a better non-electric opener?
>
> They sold out to China, the new ones are made there and they
> are miserable. Try to find one that says "Made in USA," my
> Bed Bath & Beyond just got a stock of the US products. If not
> google the prior thread on this subject about a year ago here.

Well, the "new" one we have is "Made in USA", so it's not the dreaded
China Syndrome.

I guess we'll keep looking.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Bert Hyman" > wrote in message
. ..
| In "pavane"
| > wrote:
|

| > "Bert Hyman" > wrote in message
| > . ..
| >| We replaced our aging Swing-A-Way with another just like it a couple
| >| of years ago when it started dropping cans a few turns in, but the
| >| "new" one is now exhibiting the same failure.
| >|
| >| Did we just get a dud? Have they changed the construction of cans in
| >| some way that the opener can't handle? Has the 407 gone the way of
| >| all tried-and-true products from my youth?
| >|
| >| Should I just go to the hardware store and get another 407, or is
| >| there a better non-electric opener?
| >
| > They sold out to China, the new ones are made there and they
| > are miserable. Try to find one that says "Made in USA," my
| > Bed Bath & Beyond just got a stock of the US products. If not
| > google the prior thread on this subject about a year ago here.
|
| Well, the "new" one we have is "Made in USA", so it's not the dreaded
| China Syndrome.
|
| I guess we'll keep looking.

Sorry to hear that. Here is a link to the earlier sequence, there might
be some worthwhile info in it:
http://tinyurl.com/23c4gmy

pavane

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In "pavane"
> wrote:

> "Bert Hyman" > wrote in message
> . ..
>

>| Well, the "new" one we have is "Made in USA", so it's not the dreaded
>| China Syndrome.
>|
>| I guess we'll keep looking.
>
> Sorry to hear that. Here is a link to the earlier sequence, there
> might be some worthwhile info in it:
> http://tinyurl.com/23c4gmy

Thanks; guess I'll take a look at Oxo and Zyliss. If the price is right,
I might just pick up another Swing-A-Way too if I can still find one
that's US-made.

Funny thing is, we hardly ever use cans; of course, that's probably why
the recent failures seem so annoying.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Hyman View Post
In "pavane"
wrote:

"Bert Hyman"
wrote in message
. ..

| Well, the "new" one we have is "Made in USA", so it's not the dreaded
| China Syndrome.
|
| I guess we'll keep looking.

Sorry to hear that. Here is a link to the earlier sequence, there
might be some worthwhile info in it:
rec.food.equipment | Google Groups

Thanks; guess I'll take a look at Oxo and Zyliss. If the price is right,
I might just pick up another Swing-A-Way too if I can still find one
that's US-made.

Funny thing is, we hardly ever use cans; of course, that's probably why
the recent failures seem so annoying.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Here's what I use, you will have to mount it on a table but you will never replace it.
Edlund (1) - Edlund Table-Mounted Old Reliable Manual Can Opener
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"pavane" > wrote:

> "Bert Hyman" > wrote in message
> . ..
> | In "pavane"
> > wrote:
> |

> |> "Bert Hyman" > wrote in message
> |> . ..

couple
> |>|

in
> |>|

> |> They sold out to China, the new ones are made there and they
> |> are miserable. Try to find one that says "Made in USA," my
> |> Bed Bath & Beyond just got a stock of the US products. If not
> |> google the prior thread on this subject about a year ago here.
> |
> |Well, the "new" one we have is "Made in USA", so it's not the dreaded
> |China Syndrome.
> |
> |I guess we'll keep looking.
>
> Sorry to hear that. Here is a link to the earlier sequence, there might
> be some worthwhile info in it:
> http://tinyurl.com/23c4gmy

I was going to repost what has happened since I used to work for a
machine shop that made three key components, but if you click the above
URL and look for my comments (author jt august), its all right there.

The final assembly is in the US, all parts are made in china, and some
assemblies are put together there before shipping to here for final.
They basically put 2 or 3 assemblies together, and that is sufficient to
claim Made in USA.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" > wrote in message
| In article >,
| "pavane" > wrote:
|
| > "Bert Hyman" > wrote in message
| > . ..
| > | In "pavane"
| > > wrote:
| > |

| couple
| > |>|
| in
| > |>|

| > |
| > |Well, the "new" one we have is "Made in USA", so it's not the dreaded
| > |China Syndrome.
| > |
| > |I guess we'll keep looking.
| >
| > Sorry to hear that. Here is a link to the earlier sequence, there might
| > be some worthwhile info in it:
| > http://tinyurl.com/23c4gmy
|
| I was going to repost what has happened since I used to work for a
| machine shop that made three key components, but if you click the above
| URL and look for my comments (author jt august), its all right there.
|
| The final assembly is in the US, all parts are made in china, and some
| assemblies are put together there before shipping to here for final.
| They basically put 2 or 3 assemblies together, and that is sufficient to
| claim Made in USA.

Jesus wept.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In jt august
> wrote:

> The final assembly is in the US, all parts are made in china, and some
> assemblies are put together there before shipping to here for final.
> They basically put 2 or 3 assemblies together, and that is sufficient
> to claim Made in USA.

So any we find on the shelves now, even marked "Made in USA," will
likely suffer the same early death as we just saw.

Oh well... The market will (almost) always provide a route around such
junk.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

Not Really TN: Blind wines, I swing and miss DaleW Wine 8 27-01-2011 05:58 AM
Swing Dancing/Dining/Formal wear in San Francisco? Alycia Restaurants 2 26-01-2005 03:06 AM
"swing top" jars Scott Preserving 7 30-09-2004 02:36 AM
Swing top bottles Jethro Winemaking 4 30-03-2004 12:31 AM
I hate bottling.....Grolsch swing tops Kevin Winemaking 3 17-02-2004 09:05 PM