Default Deli Style (Half-Sour?) Pickles

Hi, I'm looking for a recipe for "half-sour garlic" Jewish Deli-Style
pickles.

Are "half-sour" and/or "Jewish Deli-Style" pickle recipes what i'm
looking for? Are they one and the same?

I've done a Google search for both descriptions and i'm not sure if
they're what i'm looking for.

TIA,
Walt

Thanks Brian for the info. and the great site too!

One more question? Do they have to be "whole" or can i halve them w/o
screwing up the "set time" before i put them in the fridge?

Thanks again,
Walt

James A. Finley

> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm looking for a recipe for "half-sour garlic" Jewish Deli-Style
> pickles.
>
> Are "half-sour" and/or "Jewish Deli-Style" pickle recipes what i'm
> looking for? Are they one and the same?
>
> I've done a Google search for both descriptions and i'm not sure if
> they're what i'm looking for.
>
> TIA,
> Walt

Pickles, Half-Sour #1 - pareve
Posted by : Leslie

These are very simple. Place about 10 well washed kirby cucumbers in a glass
or ceramic jar with a lid. Add several cloves of garlic, halved (no need to
peel) and several sprigs of fresh dill. Pour in about 1/4 cup of kosher
salt. Cover with water and put the lid on and shake to dissolve salt. Leave
on the counter for 12 hours and up to 2 days. Taste, and if done to your
liking, put in refrigerator. Use within a week for best flavor, as they will
continue to pickle and get cloudy.
Enjoy,
Leslie

Straggler

if you're looking for something like the "Ba-Tampte" brand (found in
the refrigerated part of the Kosher aisle in many groceries on the
east coast, has the red & white label that says "half-sour"), the
recipe Leslie gives below looks great.

the only apparent difference I see is the garlic in the bottom of the
jar in my fridge appears crushed or chopped, and there's no dill
(maybe they leave it in the barrels when packing the jars for shipping
or maybe they dont use any).

the label list says cukes, water, salt, garlic, spices (there looks to
be mustard seed, peppercorns and cumin seeds).

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:59:03 -0500, "James A. Finley"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
>> Hi, I'm looking for a recipe for "half-sour garlic" Jewish Deli-Style
>> pickles.
>>
>> Are "half-sour" and/or "Jewish Deli-Style" pickle recipes what i'm
>> looking for? Are they one and the same?
>>
>> I've done a Google search for both descriptions and i'm not sure if
>> they're what i'm looking for.
>>
>> TIA,
>> Walt
>>

>Pickles, Half-Sour #1 - pareve
>Posted by : Leslie
>
>These are very simple. Place about 10 well washed kirby cucumbers in a glass
>or ceramic jar with a lid. Add several cloves of garlic, halved (no need to
>peel) and several sprigs of fresh dill. Pour in about 1/4 cup of kosher
>salt. Cover with water and put the lid on and shake to dissolve salt. Leave
>on the counter for 12 hours and up to 2 days. Taste, and if done to your
>liking, put in refrigerator. Use within a week for best flavor, as they will
>continue to pickle and get cloudy.
>Enjoy,
>Leslie

Wayne

"James A. Finley" > wrote in
:

> > wrote in message
>> Hi, I'm looking for a recipe for "half-sour garlic" Jewish Deli-Style
>> pickles.
>>
>> Are "half-sour" and/or "Jewish Deli-Style" pickle recipes what i'm
>> looking for? Are they one and the same?
>>
>> I've done a Google search for both descriptions and i'm not sure if
>> they're what i'm looking for.
>>
>> TIA,
>> Walt
>>

> Pickles, Half-Sour #1 - pareve
> Posted by : Leslie
>
> These are very simple. Place about 10 well washed kirby cucumbers in a
> glass or ceramic jar with a lid. Add several cloves of garlic, halved
> (no need to peel) and several sprigs of fresh dill. Pour in about 1/4
> cup of kosher salt. Cover with water and put the lid on and shake to
> dissolve salt. Leave on the counter for 12 hours and up to 2 days.
> Taste, and if done to your liking, put in refrigerator. Use within a
> week for best flavor, as they will continue to pickle and get cloudy.
> Enjoy,
> Leslie

This looks great, but I have a question. What would be the effect of
halving or quartering the cucumbers? I've never made half-sours before,
but the ones we like most are those that are very "fresh" (less sour?).
I'm wondering if cutting the cucumbers would yield a more consistent
degree of "cure" through the pickle, and in a quick fashion.

TIA

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Mapickle

Here's a recipe I use called Dill Pickles by the Quart:

1 quart pickling cukes
1 clove garlic
1 red hot dried pepper (I omit this)
2 Tbs white vinegar
1 Tbs pickling salt
2 fresh dill heads

wash cukes and place into a hot sterilized quart jar. add the remaining spices.
Fill with boiling water (1/2" headspace) seal and store in the fridge. Ready to
eat in 6 weeks.

Andrea's 3-Day Deli Dills

1 gallon small pickling cukes
8 cups water
1/4 cup pickling salt
4 cloves garlic
4 bay leaves
6 dill heads
2 Tbs dill seeds
8 grape leaves

Wash cukes, remove blossom ends. Fill a gallon jar with the cukes.Combine the
water and salt to make brine, stir to disolve the salt. Add the remaining
ingredients to the jar of cukes. Pour in the brine. Cover with a weight to keep
the cukes under the brine. Store at room temperature. If a scum forms remove it
daily.
These pickles are ready in about 3 days. Pour off hthe brine, bring to a boil
and allow to cool.Pack the cukes into clean quart jars. Pour the brine over the
cukes then store in the refrigerator.

Half sours are not acidic enough for processing so must be kept in
refrigerator.

Ingrid

Wayne

(Mapickle) wrote in
:

> Here's a recipe I use called Dill Pickles by the Quart:
>
> 1 quart pickling cukes
> 1 clove garlic
> 1 red hot dried pepper (I omit this)
> 2 Tbs white vinegar
> 1 Tbs pickling salt
> 2 fresh dill heads
>
> wash cukes and place into a hot sterilized quart jar. add the
> remaining spices. Fill with boiling water (1/2" headspace) seal and
> store in the fridge. Ready to eat in 6 weeks.
>
> Andrea's 3-Day Deli Dills
>
> 1 gallon small pickling cukes
> 8 cups water
> 1/4 cup pickling salt
> 4 cloves garlic
> 4 bay leaves
> 6 dill heads
> 2 Tbs dill seeds
> 8 grape leaves
>
> Wash cukes, remove blossom ends. Fill a gallon jar with the
> cukes.Combine the water and salt to make brine, stir to disolve the
> salt. Add the remaining ingredients to the jar of cukes. Pour in the
> brine. Cover with a weight to keep the cukes under the brine. Store at
> room temperature. If a scum forms remove it daily.
> These pickles are ready in about 3 days. Pour off hthe brine, bring to
> a boil and allow to cool.Pack the cukes into clean quart jars. Pour
> the brine over the cukes then store in the refrigerator.
>
> Half sours are not acidic enough for processing so must be kept in
> refrigerator.
>
> Ingrid

Thank you for posting these! And...really glad to see you back here.