Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default half sour pickles

Hi:

I cant find a recipe for half sour pickles. I purchase them at the Shoprite
supermarket. All the recipes I find for pickles have vinegar. The ones I
purchase do not have any vinegar. The label says contains Cucumbers, water,
garlic, salt and spices.

Any help in finding a suitable recipe would be appreciated.

FRED

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Count wrote on Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:05:54 -0400:

C> I cant find a recipe for half sour pickles. I purchase them
C> at the Shoprite supermarket. All the recipes I find for
C> pickles have vinegar. The ones I purchase do not have any
C> vinegar. The label says contains Cucumbers, water, garlic,
C> salt and spices.

C> Any help in finding a suitable recipe would be appreciated.

I can't help with a recipe but I wonder if they are like the
"half-done" dill pickles I have only found in delis? They are
bright green, freshly pickled as the name would imply, and not
very sour.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote

> Count wrote on Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:05:54 -0400:
>
> C> I cant find a recipe for half sour pickles. I purchase them
> C> at the Shoprite supermarket. All the recipes I find for
> C> pickles have vinegar. The ones I purchase do not have any
> C> vinegar. The label says contains Cucumbers, water, garlic,
> C> salt and spices.
>
> C> Any help in finding a suitable recipe would be appreciated.
>
> I can't help with a recipe but I wonder if they are like the "half-done"
> dill pickles I have only found in delis? They are bright green, freshly
> pickled as the name would imply, and not very sour.

Yup, those would be half sours, I really love them. Peter
gave me a good recipe for them, I don't think he minds if I
quote him he

I think that dill pickles are much better if you do not add any vinegar
or sugar. After all, they are not meant to be sweet and the sourness
should be gentle. Let nature do it! Here's a recipe for kosher dills
that has never failed me. It's from How to Cook Everything.

2 lbs small pickling (Kirby) cukes, washed.
1/3c kosher salt
1c boiling water
5 or more cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
1 large bunch of fresh dill
1 TB coriander seeds (optional)

Dissolve the salt in the water. Cool. Put the cukes in a jar or bowl
with the other ingredients. Pour over the salt water and enough cold
water to cover. Put a weighted plate on top to keep the cukes submerged.
Let sit at room temp.

In a day or so you'll have mild "new" pickles. In another day they will
be a bit stronger. Put in the fridge when they are to your liking.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Count" > wrote in
:

> Hi:
>
> I cant find a recipe for half sour pickles. I purchase
> them at the Shoprite supermarket. All the recipes I find
> for pickles have vinegar. The ones I purchase do not have
> any vinegar. The label says contains Cucumbers, water,
> garlic, salt and spices.
>
> Any help in finding a suitable recipe would be appreciated.

half sours are a fermented pickle, so you're correct. no
vinegar.
a quick search for 'fermented half sour pickle recipe' got me
46,200 hits...
this one looks pretty good (but a bit salty):
http://www.wildfermentation.com/reso...p?page=pickles

Some old-time recipes call for brines with enough salt to
float an egg. This translates to about a 10% salt solution.
This is enough salt to preserve pickles for quite some time,
but they are too salty to consume without a long desalinating
soak in fresh water first. Low-salt pickles, around 3.5%
brine, are “half-sours” in delicatessen lingo. This recipe is
for sour, fairly salty pickles, using around 5.4% brine.
Experiment with brine strength. A general rule of thumb to
consider in salting your ferments: more salt to slow
microorganism action in summer heat; less salt in winter when
microbial action slows.

Timeframe: 1-4 weeks

Special Equipment:

* Ceramic crock or food-grade plastic bucket
* Plate that fits inside crock or bucket
* 1-gallon/4-liter jug filled with water, or other weight
* Cloth cover

Ingredients (for 1 gallon/4 liters):

* 3 to 4 pounds/1.5 to 2 kilograms unwaxed
* cucumbers (small to medium size)
* 3?8 cup (6 tablespoons)/90 milliliters sea salt
* 3 to 4 heads fresh flowering dill, or 3 to 4
* tablespoons/45 to 60 milliliters of any form of
* dill (fresh or dried leaf or seeds)
* 2 to 3 heads garlic, peeled
* 1 handful fresh grape, cherry, oak, and/or
* horseradish leaves (if available)
* 1 pinch black peppercorns

Process:

1. Rinse cucumbers, taking care to not bruise them, and
making sure their blossoms are removed. Scrape off any remains
at the blossom end. If you’re using cucumbers that aren’t
fresh off the vine that day, soak them for a couple of hours
in very cold water to freshen them.
2. Dissolve sea salt in ½gallon (2 liters) of water to
create brine solution. Stir until salt is thoroughly
dissolved.
3. 3. Clean the crock, then place at the bottom of it dill,
garlic, fresh grape leaves, and a pinch of black peppercorns.
4. Place cucumbers in the crock.
5. Pour brine over the cucumbers,place the (clean) plate
over them, then weigh it down with a jug filled with water or
a boiled rock. If the brine doesn’t cover the weighed-down
plate, add more brine mixed at the same ratio of just under 1
tablespoon of salt to each cup of water.
6. Cover the crock with a cloth to keep out dust and flies
and store it in a cool place.
7. Check the crock every day. Skim any mold from the
surface, but don’t worry if you can’t get it all. If there’s
mold, be sure to rinse the plate and weight. Taste the pickles
after a few days.
8. Enjoy the pickles as they continue to ferment. Continue
to check the crock every day.
9. Eventually, after one to four weeks (depending on the
temperature), the pickles will be fully sour. Continue to
enjoy them, moving them to the fridge to slow down
fermentation.
lee
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 10 Oct 2007 09:17:52a, margaret suran meant to say...

> Count wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> I cant find a recipe for half sour pickles. I purchase them at the
>> Shoprite supermarket. All the recipes I find for pickles have vinegar.
>> The ones I purchase do not have any vinegar. The label says contains
>> Cucumbers, water, garlic, salt and spices.
>>
>> Any help in finding a suitable recipe would be appreciated.
>>
>> FRED

> From Google:
>
> http://members.tripod.com/~Lasaan/ca.../halfsour.html

Regardless of what recipe you use, remember to trim off the blossom end of
each cuke after washing the cucumbers.

--
Wayne Boatwright

The Rule of Fives states that all things happen in
fives, or are divisible by or are multiples of
five, or are somehow directly or indirectly
related to a five.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Count" > wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I cant find a recipe for half sour pickles. I purchase them at the
> Shoprite supermarket. All the recipes I find for pickles have vinegar.
> The ones I purchase do not have any vinegar. The label says contains
> Cucumbers, water, garlic, salt and spices.
>
> Any help in finding a suitable recipe would be appreciated.
>
> FRED

I bought a jar of half sour pickles after the last discussion of it in this
group a month or so ago. They are awful.

Mitch

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Count > wrote:

> I cant find a recipe for half sour pickles.

Here are some recipes for sour, half-sour and brined pickles I posted
before.

Here is a recipe from The 2nd Ave Deli Cookbook. The pickles served at
the Deli are not the very best I have ever tasted but still very good.

Pickles

you can pickle firm green tomatoes or beets the same way.

20 small Kirby cucumbers (choose firm, fresh, unwaxed, bumpy-textured
cucumbers that are close to equal in size)
3/4 cup kosher salt
15 whole garlic cloves, unpeeled
1 bunch of fresh dill
2 tablespoons pickling spices or:
1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon dill seeds
6 bay leaves
1 hot dried red pepper

1. Scrub the cucumbers with a brush in clear water.
2. Pour 1 gallon of water into a large stockpot, add salt, and bring to
a boil. Turn off heat, and allow water to return to room temperature.
While water is cooling, wrap unpeeled garlic cloves in a cloth napkin,
and crush them lightly with the back of a large knife.
3. Pack the cucumber tightly into wide-mouthed jars, add all other
ingredients (distribute equally), and pour salted water over them. The
cucumbers must be covered completely. Put the lid on, shake jar to
distribute spices evenly, and store in a cool place (do not
refrigerate). Open the jar once a day to skim off foam. In 4 days, the
pickles will be half-sour, and can keep, refrigerated, for several
weeks. For sour pickles, do not refrigerate until 6 days have passed.

And here are a couple of recipes I use myself. One is for sour and
half-sour pickles as traditionally made in Russia. These are what
all those deli pickles are striving to be. The recipe calls for a lot
of cucumbers, but you can scale it. The other recipe is an accelerated
version, if you want to make them really fast.

Traditionally-made sour and half-sour pickles

Note: You get the best results by selecting very fresh cucumbers,
picked on the same day, if possible, or, failing that, the day before.
They shouldn't be kept dry for any length of time - put them in iced
water at once. That way, cucumbers won't be hollow. Also,
traditionally, cucumbers are pickled in oak barrels which, together with
various leaves and sometimes even tree bark, add some tannin to the
brine, making the cucumbers crisp and crunchy.

10 kg (22 pounds) cucumbers, 4-7 cm (1.6-2.8 inches) in length, cleaned
and washed
2 heads of garlic, divided in cloves and peeled, OR some shavings of
horseradish root
currant leaves, if you can find them
oak leaves, ditto
cherry leaves, ditto
(Some people add a couple of horseradish leaves, too)
fresh dill
coarse (kosher) non-iodised salt
2 teaspoons sugar

Find a suitable receptacle, such as a non-reactive bucket, a wooden
barrel or cask, or large glass jars. Layer the leaves on the bottom,
then the cucumbers in the upright position, packing them tightly, then
add some garlic cloves. Then put on the layer of leaves again, then
cucumbers, garlic and dill and repeat all of the above until the
receptacle is filled. The last layer should be leaves and dill.

Dissolve kosher salt in water (1 tablespoon per 1 litre (1.1 quart)),
and fill the receptacle to the top. It is easier to dissolve salt in
hot water, which has to be cooled afterwards. Cover the receptacle with
a wooden cover or with a plate, put a clean cloth on top and weigh it
down with a heavy stone or something. Keep in a cool place.

The cucumbers will be ready in 1-2 weeks and will keep for a long
time. After one week, they will be so-called malosolnyye (lightly
salted or half-sour) pickles - which many people love. After a month,
they will be completely salted (full sour). From time to time, check
the wooden cover or plate and the cloth for signs of mould and clean and
wash them accordingly.

In a town dwelling, it would perhaps be better to use sealed glass jars
of 1-2 quart capacity. In this case, pack the ingredients tightly in
jars, fill with the salty brine and seal. Put in a cool place for a
week. During this time the brine will ferment and some of it may
escape. This is not a problem - just pour off a bit of the brine, wipe
the jar dry and seal again. Afterwards just keep the jars in a cool
place.

Fast version

2 kg (4.4 pounds) small young cucumbers
optionally, 3-4 currant leaves, or 3-4 oak leaves, or both (then fewer
of each kind)
optionally, a couple of horseradish or cherry leaves
optionally, some freshly grated horseradish root
a large sprig or two of dill
7-8 garlic cloves
salt (80-120 g (2.8-4.2 oz) per 2 litres (2.1 quarts) of water)

Put cucumbers in ice-cold water and refrigerate for a few hours (this
step is optional).
Cut off both ends of cucumbers and place them into a non-reactive
container, layering the leaves and horseradish (if used), as well as the
dill and the garlic in between.
Dissolve the salt in boiling water and taste it to make sure it's
pleasantly salty. Pour the hot solution over cucumbers, making sure
they are fully covered (if they float, weigh them down with something).
The cucumbers will be ready to eat in 4 hours to 2 days, depending on
your preference. Once you deem them to be ready, refrigerate them to
slow down any further development. They will stay at that stage for a
week or so.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 10 Oct 2007 02:12:34p, Mitch Scherer meant to say...

> "Count" > wrote in message
>> Hi:
>>
>> I cant find a recipe for half sour pickles. I purchase them at the
>> Shoprite supermarket. All the recipes I find for pickles have vinegar.
>> The ones I purchase do not have any vinegar. The label says contains
>> Cucumbers, water, garlic, salt and spices.
>>
>> Any help in finding a suitable recipe would be appreciated.
>>
>> FRED

> I bought a jar of half sour pickles after the last discussion of it in
> this group a month or so ago. They are awful.
>
> Mitch

Have you ever eaten any at anytime that you liked, e.g., in restaurants.
etc.? Maybe you just don't like half-sours.

--
Wayne Boatwright

The Rule of Fives states that all things happen in
fives, or are divisible by or are multiples of
five, or are somehow directly or indirectly
related to a five.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "James Silverton" > wrote
>
> > Count wrote on Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:05:54 -0400:
> >
> > C> I cant find a recipe for half sour pickles. I purchase them
> > C> at the Shoprite supermarket. All the recipes I find for
> > C> pickles have vinegar. The ones I purchase do not have any
> > C> vinegar. The label says contains Cucumbers, water, garlic,
> > C> salt and spices.
> >
> > C> Any help in finding a suitable recipe would be appreciated.
> >
> > I can't help with a recipe but I wonder if they are like the "half-done"
> > dill pickles I have only found in delis? They are bright green, freshly
> > pickled as the name would imply, and not very sour.

> Yup, those would be half sours, I really love them. Peter
> gave me a good recipe for them, I don't think he minds if I
> quote him he
>
> I think that dill pickles are much better if you do not add any vinegar
> or sugar. After all, they are not meant to be sweet and the sourness
> should be gentle. Let nature do it! Here's a recipe for kosher dills
> that has never failed me. It's from How to Cook Everything.
>
> 2 lbs small pickling (Kirby) cukes, washed.
> 1/3c kosher salt
> 1c boiling water
> 5 or more cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
> 1 large bunch of fresh dill
> 1 TB coriander seeds (optional)
>
> Dissolve the salt in the water. Cool. Put the cukes in a jar or bowl
> with the other ingredients. Pour over the salt water and enough cold
> water to cover. Put a weighted plate on top to keep the cukes submerged.
> Let sit at room temp.
>
> In a day or so you'll have mild "new" pickles. In another day they will
> be a bit stronger. Put in the fridge when they are to your liking.

TY for the recipe! Can't seem to find ready-made half-sours around here
and I too love them. But won't add the dill cos I don't like it very
much.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Count" > wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I cant find a recipe for half sour pickles. I purchase them at the
> Shoprite supermarket. All the recipes I find for pickles have vinegar.
> The ones I purchase do not have any vinegar. The label says contains
> Cucumbers, water, garlic, salt and spices.
>
> Any help in finding a suitable recipe would be appreciated.

I love these! I've seen recipes that make a ton of them. I'd like a recipe
for a small amount that doesn't require being canned. Yum!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Yup, those would be half sours, I really love them. Peter
>> gave me a good recipe for them, I don't think he minds if I
>> quote him he

> TY for the recipe! Can't seem to find ready-made half-sours around here
> and I too love them. But won't add the dill cos I don't like it very
> much.

They came out really well, satisfied a craving. I haven't had much
luck with store bought half sours.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 10 Oct 2007 06:08:42p, Julie Bove meant to say...

> "Count" > wrote in message
>> Hi:
>>
>> I cant find a recipe for half sour pickles. I purchase them at the
>> Shoprite supermarket. All the recipes I find for pickles have vinegar.
>> The ones I purchase do not have any vinegar. The label says contains
>> Cucumbers, water, garlic, salt and spices.
>>
>> Any help in finding a suitable recipe would be appreciated.

> I love these! I've seen recipes that make a ton of them. I'd like a
> recipe for a small amount that doesn't require being canned. Yum!

This recipe doesn't make a ton of them, and it can be cut down to 1/2 or
1/4 the amounts called for.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Kosher Dill Pickles

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

24 the freshest 4-inch pickling cucumbers
8 cups soft water
1/2 cup kosher salt
12 sprigs fresh dill -- (12 to 16)
8 cloves garlic
16 whole peppercorns
4 bay leaves
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Soak the cucumbers in ice water for between 1 and 8 hours. Drain. Snip the
end not attached to the vine. In a nonreactive saucepan, combine the water
and salt. Simmer, stirring to dissolve the salt. Remove from heat and cool.

Sterilize four 1-quart jars, lids and rubber rings. Divide the seasonings
among the jars. Pack 6 cucumbers upright in each jar.

For new pickles: Pour the cooled brine over the cucumbers to cover, leaving
1/2-inch headroom. Tightly cover the jars and shake. Place upside down and
leave overnight. If any liquid seeps from the jars, tighten the lids. Place
the jars lid side up. Refrigerate.

For half-sours: Place jars in a dark place at room temperature to ferment.
After 2 to 3 days, bubbles will rise in the liquid. Two to three days
later, bacteria begins souring the cucumbers, which remain bright green
outside. Refrigerate to slow fermentation.

For sour pickles: After 2 to 3 weeks, bubbles stop forming. Pickles are
greenish-brown. Refrigerate.

--
Wayne Boatwright

The Rule of Fives states that all things happen in
fives, or are divisible by or are multiples of
five, or are somehow directly or indirectly
related to a five.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mitch Scherer wrote:
> "Count" > wrote in message
>> Hi:
>>
>> I cant find a recipe for half sour pickles. I purchase them at the
>> Shoprite supermarket. All the recipes I find for pickles have vinegar.
>> The ones I purchase do not have any vinegar. The label says contains
>> Cucumbers, water, garlic, salt and spices.
>>
>> Any help in finding a suitable recipe would be appreciated.
>>
>> FRED

> I bought a jar of half sour pickles after the last discussion of it in this
> group a month or so ago. They are awful.
>
> Mitch

Maybe half-sours need to be enjoyed in their natural setting--a good
deli where they are placed on the table along with the menu.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 10 Oct 2007 07:02:40p, Puester meant to say...

> Mitch Scherer wrote:
>> "Count" > wrote in message
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> I cant find a recipe for half sour pickles. I purchase them at the
>>> Shoprite supermarket. All the recipes I find for pickles have
>>> vinegar. The ones I purchase do not have any vinegar. The label says
>>> contains Cucumbers, water, garlic, salt and spices.
>>>
>>> Any help in finding a suitable recipe would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> FRED

>> I bought a jar of half sour pickles after the last discussion of it in
>> this group a month or so ago. They are awful.
>>
>> Mitch
>>

> Maybe half-sours need to be enjoyed in their natural setting--a good
> deli where they are placed on the table along with the menu.
>
> gloria p

You may have a point there, Gloria. That's how I was originally introduced
to them, along with pickled green tomatoes. But I make them at home now,
and like mine even more.

I have bought jars in stores that I wasn't very fond of.

--
Wayne Boatwright

The Rule of Fives states that all things happen in
fives, or are divisible by or are multiples of
five, or are somehow directly or indirectly
related to a five.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yum! Thanks!
"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
3.184...
> Oh pshaw, on Wed 10 Oct 2007 06:08:42p, Julie Bove meant to say...
>

>> "Count" > wrote in message
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> I cant find a recipe for half sour pickles. I purchase them at the
>>> Shoprite supermarket. All the recipes I find for pickles have vinegar.
>>> The ones I purchase do not have any vinegar. The label says contains
>>> Cucumbers, water, garlic, salt and spices.
>>>
>>> Any help in finding a suitable recipe would be appreciated.

>> I love these! I've seen recipes that make a ton of them. I'd like a
>> recipe for a small amount that doesn't require being canned. Yum!
>>

> This recipe doesn't make a ton of them, and it can be cut down to 1/2 or
> 1/4 the amounts called for.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Kosher Dill Pickles
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories :

> 24 the freshest 4-inch pickling cucumbers
> 8 cups soft water
> 1/2 cup kosher salt
> 12 sprigs fresh dill -- (12 to 16)
> 8 cloves garlic
> 16 whole peppercorns
> 4 bay leaves
> 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
> 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
> 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
>
> Soak the cucumbers in ice water for between 1 and 8 hours. Drain. Snip the
> end not attached to the vine. In a nonreactive saucepan, combine the water
> and salt. Simmer, stirring to dissolve the salt. Remove from heat and
> cool.
>
> Sterilize four 1-quart jars, lids and rubber rings. Divide the seasonings
> among the jars. Pack 6 cucumbers upright in each jar.
>
> For new pickles: Pour the cooled brine over the cucumbers to cover,
> leaving
> 1/2-inch headroom. Tightly cover the jars and shake. Place upside down and
> leave overnight. If any liquid seeps from the jars, tighten the lids.
> Place
> the jars lid side up. Refrigerate.
>
> For half-sours: Place jars in a dark place at room temperature to ferment.
> After 2 to 3 days, bubbles will rise in the liquid. Two to three days
> later, bacteria begins souring the cucumbers, which remain bright green
> outside. Refrigerate to slow fermentation.
>
> For sour pickles: After 2 to 3 weeks, bubbles stop forming. Pickles are
> greenish-brown. Refrigerate.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> The Rule of Fives states that all things happen in
> fives, or are divisible by or are multiples of
> five, or are somehow directly or indirectly
> related to a five.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 10 Oct 2007 08:06:39p, Julie Bove meant to say...

> Yum! Thanks!

You're welcome!

--
Wayne Boatwright

The Rule of Fives states that all things happen in
fives, or are divisible by or are multiples of
five, or are somehow directly or indirectly
related to a five.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
3.184...
> Oh pshaw, on Wed 10 Oct 2007 02:12:34p, Mitch Scherer meant to say...
>
>> "Count" > wrote in message
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> I cant find a recipe for half sour pickles. I purchase them at the
>>> Shoprite supermarket. All the recipes I find for pickles have vinegar.
>>> The ones I purchase do not have any vinegar. The label says contains
>>> Cucumbers, water, garlic, salt and spices.
>>>
>>> Any help in finding a suitable recipe would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> FRED

>> I bought a jar of half sour pickles after the last discussion of it in
>> this group a month or so ago. They are awful.
>>
>> Mitch
>>

> Have you ever eaten any at anytime that you liked, e.g., in restaurants.
> etc.? Maybe you just don't like half-sours.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> The Rule of Fives states that all things happen in
> fives, or are divisible by or are multiples of
> five, or are somehow directly or indirectly
> related to a five.

I just don't like half sours at all.

Mitch

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mitch Scherer" > wrote

> I just don't like half sours at all.

To be fair, I haven't found a brand I like in the supermarket,
either, and I love the things.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote
>
> > Nancy Young wrote:

> >> Yup, those would be half sours, I really love them. Peter
> >> gave me a good recipe for them, I don't think he minds if I
> >> quote him he

> > TY for the recipe! Can't seem to find ready-made half-sours around here
> > and I too love them. But won't add the dill cos I don't like it very
> > much.

> They came out really well, satisfied a craving. I haven't had much
> luck with store bought half sours.
>
> nancy

That's reassuring to hear. Haven't even seen half-sours around here at
all. They were a common item and quite cheap in my neighbourhood
supermarket in London. Used to use the brine to pickle other vegetables
as well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Mitch Scherer" > wrote
>
> > I just don't like half sours at all.

> To be fair, I haven't found a brand I like in the supermarket,
> either, and I love the things.
>
> nancy

If you have any kosher delis around you might find a brand you like
there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 11 Oct 2007 04:16:34p, Mitch Scherer meant to say...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...
>> Oh pshaw, on Wed 10 Oct 2007 02:12:34p, Mitch Scherer meant to say...

vinegar.

>>> I bought a jar of half sour pickles after the last discussion of it in
>>> this group a month or so ago. They are awful.
>>>
>>> Mitch
>>>

>> Have you ever eaten any at anytime that you liked, e.g., in restaurants.
>> etc.? Maybe you just don't like half-sours.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> The Rule of Fives states that all things happen in
>> fives, or are divisible by or are multiples of
>> five, or are somehow directly or indirectly related to a five.

> I just don't like half sours at all.
>
> Mitch

That would certainly explain it.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks
are still free.