Old 30-05-2004, 05:42 PM
Puester

Default Half-sour pickles

When I lived on the east coast and discovered delicatessens,
most customarily served on the table a bowl of what they
called "half sours", both pickles and tomatoes. They were
crisp and delicious . Does anyone have a recipe for the
pickles? (I never really liked the tomatoes.)

TIA,

gloria p

Old 30-05-2004, 10:29 PM
Scott

In article ,
Puester wrote:

When I lived on the east coast and discovered delicatessens,
most customarily served on the table a bowl of what they
called "half sours", both pickles and tomatoes. They were
crisp and delicious . Does anyone have a recipe for the
pickles? (I never really liked the tomatoes.)

http://www.delipickle.com/aboutus_recipe.shtml

please mail OT responses only
Old 30-05-2004, 11:33 PM
Brian Mailman

Puester wrote:

When I lived on the east coast and discovered delicatessens,
most customarily served on the table a bowl of what they
called "half sours", both pickles and tomatoes. They were
crisp and delicious . Does anyone have a recipe for the
pickles? (I never really liked the tomatoes.)

Take a look at my site...

http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...les_index.html

basically, it's one tbsp. kosher salt to one cup of water, dill, maybe
a few pepper flakes. Cover the cukes with brine and let sit for a few
days. Taste after 3-4 days and see if they've gotten to where you want
them. If they haven't, let sit and ferment for a few more days. If
they have, refrigerate.

B/
Old 31-05-2004, 02:45 AM
The Joneses

Scott wrote:

In article ,
Puester wrote:

When I lived on the east coast and discovered delicatessens,
most customarily served on the table a bowl of what they
called "half sours", both pickles and tomatoes. They were
crisp and delicious . Does anyone have a recipe for the
pickles? (I never really liked the tomatoes.)

http://www.delipickle.com/aboutus_recipe.shtml

please mail OT responses only

Yee-haaa. They'll be pickler cukes at the Farmer's Market in a
week or two. I gotta try this one. Probably better in the fridge
since it's too hot here to leave anything out??
Edrena

Old 31-05-2004, 02:47 AM
Puester

Scott wrote:

In article ,
Puester wrote:

When I lived on the east coast and discovered delicatessens,
most customarily served on the table a bowl of what they
called "half sours", both pickles and tomatoes. They were
crisp and delicious . Does anyone have a recipe for the
pickles? (I never really liked the tomatoes.)

http://www.delipickle.com/aboutus_recipe.shtml

please mail OT responses only

Thank you!

gp

Old 31-05-2004, 02:49 AM
Puester

Brian Mailman wrote:

Puester wrote:

When I lived on the east coast and discovered delicatessens,
most customarily served on the table a bowl of what they
called "half sours", both pickles and tomatoes. They were
crisp and delicious . Does anyone have a recipe for the
pickles? (I never really liked the tomatoes.)

Take a look at my site...

http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...les_index.html

basically, it's one tbsp. kosher salt to one cup of water, dill, maybe
a few pepper flakes. Cover the cukes with brine and let sit for a few
days. Taste after 3-4 days and see if they've gotten to where you want
them. If they haven't, let sit and ferment for a few more days. If
they have, refrigerate.

B/

Thank you. Now I have to plant the cucumbers.

gloria p
Old 06-06-2004, 02:14 AM
James A. Finley

"Puester" wrote in message

When I lived on the east coast and discovered delicatessens,
most customarily served on the table a bowl of what they
called "half sours", both pickles and tomatoes. They were
crisp and delicious . Does anyone have a recipe for the
pickles? (I never really liked the tomatoes.)

TIA,

gloria p

Pickles, Half-Sour #1 - pareve
Posted by : Leslie

These are very simple. Place about 10 well washed kirby cucumbers in a glass
or ceramic jar with a lid. Add several cloves of garlic, halved (no need to
peel) and several sprigs of fresh dill. Pour in about 1/4 cup of kosher
salt. Cover with water and put the lid on and shake to dissolve salt. Leave
on the counter for 12 hours and up to 2 days. Taste, and if done to your
liking, put in refrigerator. Use within a week for best flavor, as they will
continue to pickle and get cloudy.
Enjoy,
Leslie