Puester

Default Half-sour pickles

When I lived on the east coast and discovered delicatessens,
most customarily served on the table a bowl of what they
called "half sours", both pickles and tomatoes. They were
crisp and delicious . Does anyone have a recipe for the
pickles? (I never really liked the tomatoes.)

TIA,

gloria p
Scott

In article >,
Puester > wrote:

> When I lived on the east coast and discovered delicatessens,
> most customarily served on the table a bowl of what they
> called "half sours", both pickles and tomatoes. They were
> crisp and delicious . Does anyone have a recipe for the
> pickles? (I never really liked the tomatoes.)

<http://www.delipickle.com/aboutus_recipe.shtml>

please mail OT responses only
Brian Mailman

Puester wrote:

> When I lived on the east coast and discovered delicatessens,
> most customarily served on the table a bowl of what they
> called "half sours", both pickles and tomatoes. They were
> crisp and delicious . Does anyone have a recipe for the
> pickles? (I never really liked the tomatoes.)

Take a look at my site...

http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...les_index.html

basically, it's one tbsp. kosher salt to one cup of water, dill, maybe
a few pepper flakes. Cover the cukes with brine and let sit for a few
days. Taste after 3-4 days and see if they've gotten to where you want
them. If they haven't, let sit and ferment for a few more days. If
they have, refrigerate.

B/
The Joneses

Scott wrote:

> In article >,
> Puester > wrote:
>

> > When I lived on the east coast and discovered delicatessens,
> > most customarily served on the table a bowl of what they
> > called "half sours", both pickles and tomatoes. They were
> > crisp and delicious . Does anyone have a recipe for the
> > pickles? (I never really liked the tomatoes.)

> <http://www.delipickle.com/aboutus_recipe.shtml>
>
> --
> to respond, change "spamless.invalid" with "optonline.net"
> please mail OT responses only

Yee-haaa. They'll be pickler cukes at the Farmer's Market in a
week or two. I gotta try this one. Probably better in the fridge
since it's too hot here to leave anything out??
Edrena

Puester

Scott wrote:

> In article >,
> Puester > wrote:
>

> > When I lived on the east coast and discovered delicatessens,
> > most customarily served on the table a bowl of what they
> > called "half sours", both pickles and tomatoes. They were
> > crisp and delicious . Does anyone have a recipe for the
> > pickles? (I never really liked the tomatoes.)

> <http://www.delipickle.com/aboutus_recipe.shtml>
>
> --
> to respond, change "spamless.invalid" with "optonline.net"
> please mail OT responses only

Thank you!

gp

Puester

Brian Mailman wrote:

> Puester wrote:
> >
> > When I lived on the east coast and discovered delicatessens,
> > most customarily served on the table a bowl of what they
> > called "half sours", both pickles and tomatoes. They were
> > crisp and delicious . Does anyone have a recipe for the
> > pickles? (I never really liked the tomatoes.)

> Take a look at my site...
>
> http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...les_index.html
>
> basically, it's one tbsp. kosher salt to one cup of water, dill, maybe
> a few pepper flakes. Cover the cukes with brine and let sit for a few
> days. Taste after 3-4 days and see if they've gotten to where you want
> them. If they haven't, let sit and ferment for a few more days. If
> they have, refrigerate.
>
> B/

Thank you. Now I have to plant the cucumbers.

gloria p
James A. Finley

"Puester" > wrote in message

> When I lived on the east coast and discovered delicatessens,
> most customarily served on the table a bowl of what they
> called "half sours", both pickles and tomatoes. They were
> crisp and delicious . Does anyone have a recipe for the
> pickles? (I never really liked the tomatoes.)
>
> TIA,
>
> gloria p

Pickles, Half-Sour #1 - pareve
Posted by : Leslie

These are very simple. Place about 10 well washed kirby cucumbers in a glass
or ceramic jar with a lid. Add several cloves of garlic, halved (no need to
peel) and several sprigs of fresh dill. Pour in about 1/4 cup of kosher
salt. Cover with water and put the lid on and shake to dissolve salt. Leave
on the counter for 12 hours and up to 2 days. Taste, and if done to your
liking, put in refrigerator. Use within a week for best flavor, as they will
continue to pickle and get cloudy.
Enjoy,
Leslie