Old 01-07-2008, 01:46 AM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
~ ~ is offline

Default How much queso fresco should I use?

It's not clear how much queso fresco to use in this recipe.

How much is too much cheese?

I can buy what seems to be a standard 12 ounce package for $3.88 to
$4.16, or I can buy it in bulk for about the same price, but the
packages are about 1.5 pounds.

Rajas
Ingredientes:

6 chiles poblanos
½ taza de leche
½ taza de crema
1 queso fresco or feta
sal

Preparación:

Hace los chiles y sin dejarlos quemar, pélelos y córtelos en rajas.
Muela la mitad de estas rajas en la licuadora con la leche y poca sal.

Fría esta pasta en un poco de aceite hasta que sazone bien.

Agregue las rajas, la crema fresca y, al hervir el queso fresco en
tiras.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:23 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Use as much or as little as you wish. It's all a matter of taste. I
like to use a lot, some of my lady friends use only a little.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:58 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
~ ~ is offline

On Jul 1, 7:23�am, Rolly Brook wrote:
Use as much or as little as you wish. �It's all a matter of taste. �I
like to use a lot, some of my lady friends use only a little.

I am wondering whether to use a whole lot of cheese, and make cheese
and peppers, or use more peppers and less cheese. It seems like too
much cheese would be too sour.

So, is "rajas" supposed to be peppery cheese, or cheesy peppers?

The naming of any particular dish is based upon the majority
ingredient, except in things like canned "pork and beans", where there
is only one tiny piece of pork fat among 98% beans.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:07 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jul 1, 10:58 am, "~" wrote:
On Jul 1, 7:23�am, Rolly Brook wrote:

So, is "rajas" supposed to be peppery cheese, or cheesy peppers?

The word translates roughly as "slices". The slices (of peppers,
usually, as in this case) needn't include any cheese.

Do a search; you'll find lots of ways to prepare these.

My favorite includes equal amounts of poblanos and sauteed onions,
with enough heavy whipping cream to cover. (Plus a few extra
seasonings, like a pinch of salt and a bit of oregano.)
Old 02-07-2008, 02:51 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jun 30, 7:46 pm, "~" wrote:
It's not clear how much queso fresco to use in this recipe.

How much is too much cheese?

I can buy what seems to be a standard 12 ounce package for $3.88 to
$4.16, or I can buy it in bulk for about the same price, but the
packages are about 1.5 pounds.

Rajas
Ingredientes:

6 chiles poblanos
½ taza de leche
½ taza de crema
1 queso fresco or feta
sal

Preparación:

Hace los chiles y sin dejarlos quemar, pélelos y córtelos en rajas.
Muela la mitad de estas rajas en la licuadora con la leche y poca sal.

Fría esta pasta en un poco de aceite hasta que sazone bien.

Agregue las rajas, la crema fresca y, al hervir el queso fresco en
tiras.

can someone translate recipe to english for us non spanish speaking
folks.
thanks

Old 02-07-2008, 06:08 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

..

Rajas
Ingredientes:

6 chiles poblanos
½ taza de leche
½ taza de crema
1 queso fresco or feta
sal

Preparación:

Hace los chiles y sin dejarlos quemar, pélelos y córtelos en rajas.
Muela la mitad de estas rajas en la licuadora con la leche y poca sal.

Fría esta pasta en un poco de aceite hasta que sazone bien.

Agregue las rajas, la crema fresca y, al hervir el queso fresco en
tiras.

Here are two links to preview:

http://www.bigoven.com/private/raja-recipe
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/rajas.htm

Old 02-07-2008, 09:54 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Here are a couple of variations that you might find interesting:

http://rollybrook.com/rajas.htm

http://rollybrook.com/ar-salsa_verde.htm

Old 02-07-2008, 11:57 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
~ ~ is offline

On Jul 2, 6:51�am, flintster wrote:

can someone translate recipe to english for us non spanish speaking
folks.
thanks- Hide quoted text -

If you're going to cook Mexican style food, learn at least enough
Spanish to navigate through a recipe. The best recipes are in Spanish,
anyway.

Rajas (Slices of chile peppers)
Ingredientes: (Ingredients)

6 chiles poblanos (6 fresh poblano chiles)
� taza de leche (1/2 cup of milk)
� taza de crema (1/2 cup of cream)
1 queso fresco or feta (1 fresh cheese, made from whole milk, or feta
cheese, made with goats milk)
sal (salt, to taste)

Preparaci�n: (Preparation)

Hace los chiles y sin dejarlos quemar, p�lelos y c�rtelos en rajas.

(Roast the chiles and without allowing them to burn, peel them and
cut them in slices.)

Muela la mitad de estas rajas en la licuadora con la leche y poca sal.

(Grind half of these slices in the blender with the milk and a little
salt.)

Fr�a esta pasta en un poco de aceite hasta que sazone bien.

(Fry this paste in a little oil until it is well seasoned.)

Agregue las rajas, la crema fresca y, al hervir el queso fresco en
tiras.

(Add the remaining slices, the fresh cream and, heat the fresh cheese
in layers.
Don't actually *boil* the milk and cream, it will curdle and
separate.)

Old 03-07-2008, 03:04 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jul 2, 5:57 pm, "~" wrote:
[...]

thanks, I could have figured it out but was hoping someone would make
it easy for me. Though this is a mexican coooking forum most all posts
are in english thank god.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:40 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Jul 2, 6:57 pm, "~" wrote:

� taza de crema (1/2 cup of cream)

Is crema supposed to mean "cream" or "creme faishe" (i.e. non-sour
sour cream)? It seems I've seen it used for both substances.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:55 AM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
~ ~ is offline

On Jul 3, 1:40�pm, redietz wrote:

Is crema supposed to mean "cream" or "creme faishe" (i.e. non-sour
sour cream)? It seems I've seen it used for both substances.

"Crema fresca" might be creme fraishe" or it might be a Mexican or
Latin American version.

http://www.cafecreosote.com/dictiona...etter=&pos=170

TN: al fresco wines with friends- VdP, CA, WA DaleW Wine 0 21-05-2007 08:38 PM
Seeking Authentic Queso Fresco Joshua Mexican Cooking 0 23-01-2006 11:00 PM
Fresco de Frutas Duckie ® Recipes 0 08-08-2005 01:42 PM
Farfalle al Tonno Fresco OreganoFromItaly.com Recipes (moderated) 0 21-07-2005 06:21 AM
TN: 4 al fresco meals Dale Williams Wine 1 06-07-2004 08:41 PM