Dale Williams

Default TN: 4 al fresco meals

Friday we had 3 couples (plus assorted kids ) over for dinner, grilled some
beef, a variety of d'Artagnan sausages (SW chicken, chicken and apple, foie
gras and truffles), some seafood sausages, and assorted veggies. As grill
heated, we munched on some smoked salmon and tried the 2002 Tomaso Gianolio
Roero Arneis. Lighter than the Giacosa Arneis, but quite a refreshing light
floral sipper with light apple flavors and a gentle nuttiness. Good QPR at $9
or 10. B

The white drinkers needed more, we opened the 2002 Melini Orvieto Classico.
Clean, simple, a nice unassuming wine on a warm evening. Also good QPR, at $7.

First red up was the 2001 Bogle Petite Sirah. This has usually been a
vintage-in/vintage-out QPR fave of mine, but this bottle left me slightly cold.
Lots of ripe berry fruit, lots of oak and vanilla overtones. Finish is all oak.
Certainly not a bad wine, and a crowd-pleaser, but doesn't seem as structured
as some previous vintages. Still, not bad. B/B-

While the party continued, my carpentry-savvy friend and I measured and figured
materials for my cellar project. In honor of that, I had double-decanted the
1994 Ch. Nenin (Pomerol) earlier. Very nice wine. None of the hard tannins of
some '94s. Nose of red fruit with a hint of coffee, lush yet not flabby on the
palate, with a darker fruit profile. Long finish. Lots of tantalizing secondary
aromas- cedar, saddle leather, underbrush. Damn, wish I had more of this one.
A-

Saturday I spent most of the day on the first part of cellar project. A friend
helped me with the framing, then I put up drywall and then insulation. Betsy
came home and started dinner . She made duck breasts with a rosemary & red wine
sauce, served with cheesey polenta, swiss chard, and a nice if unusual dish
with raisins, eggplant, lemon rind, and sundried tomatoes. Duck still means
Burg to me, so I opened the 1999 Catherine and Claude Marechal*
Savigny-lès-Beaune "Les Lavières" 1er Cru. A bit of infanticide, but fun.
Floral earthy nose, medium-bodied with balanced acidity and lively
raspberry/cherry fruit. I really should stick last one in do not drink pile,
but might not see any of these through to "maturity" B+/A-

Sunday the 4th I put up vapor barriers and did house work, then we headed to a
friend's home for a backyard bbq (as in generic grilling, not real barbecue). I
missed out on notes on some wines, I meant to note producer on one refreshing
vinho verde. But the wines I did note:
2003 Saintsbury Vincent Vin Gris - fairly dark for rosé, just slightest hint
of RS. Pleasant enough if non-descript. B/B-
2000 BV Napa Cabernet Sauvignon - a good argument for looking for 2001 CalCabs.
Sweet yet slightly dilute fruit, noticable oak, short finish. B-/C+
2002 Clos de la Roilette Fleurie. Yep, another note on this. Nice violets meet
honeysuckle nose, initially almost grapey, yet settling into really nice red
berry and cherry fruit. Just the thing with an assortment of foods- grilled
meats, Asian dumplings, cheese, etc. I still prefer this to the Cuvee Tardive
bottling. A-/B+
2001 Perrin Reserve Côte du Rhône- nice spicy berry fruit, rich round wine. I
prefer the Fleurie on a warm day, but this is a good CdR. B+
2001 William Roan Viognier -floral, aromatic, verging on flabby. B-
After party headed to other friends where we watched the village fireworks over
the river.

Last night was the 1-year anniversary of the first night we spent in our house.
David was at a friends, so Betsy & I had a quiet evening. Grilled lamb chops
(mint/lemon/evoo/garlic marinade), portabellos (port/soy marinade), sugar peas,
and salad. Plus the first tomato from our vines, drizzled with evoo and basil.
I had forgotten to bring home something from current storage to celebrate with,
so foraged through limited supply at house. No Champagne available, but I
opened the NV Gruet Blanc de Noir Brut. Finest bubbly New Mexico has to offer.
Actually a fine deal at $10. Apple fruit with a touch of biscuity yeast, creamy
texture. B+/B

To accompany the lamb, the 1998 Ch. d'Aiguilhe (Côtes de Castillon). I was
afraid this might be closed like most of its big brothers in Pomerol and St.
Emilion, but 30 minutes of decanting seemed to let it shine. Thick mouthfeel,
but very managable ripe tannins. Deep Merlot fruit, fairly obvious new oak.
Some chocolate and an herby/licorice note. Would have been a very good match
with the chops, except I overcooked a bit - a more mature wine would have been
better with these medium chops. Still, a pleasant glance at Right Bank '98.
B+/B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a
good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where
it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy,
and certainly not of consistency.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Dick R.

Dale Williams wrote:
> [...]
> so foraged through limited supply at house. No Champagne available, but I
> opened the NV Gruet Blanc de Noir Brut. Finest bubbly New Mexico has to offer.
> Actually a fine deal at $10. Apple fruit with a touch of biscuity yeast, creamy
> texture. B+/B
>
> To accompany the lamb, the 1998 Ch. d'Aiguilhe (Côtes de Castillon). I was
> afraid this might be closed like most of its big brothers in Pomerol and St.
> Emilion, but 30 minutes of decanting seemed to let it shine. Thick mouthfeel,
> but very managable ripe tannins. Deep Merlot fruit, fairly obvious new oak.
> Some chocolate and an herby/licorice note. Would have been a very good match
> with the chops, except I overcooked a bit - a more mature wine would have been
> better with these medium chops. Still, a pleasant glance at Right Bank '98.

Hi Dale,
I don't think I could keep up with your busy schedule, but (as usual) your
posts make me very hungry ... and thirsty. Thanks for the TNs.

Dick

Sandra's Money Saving Meals: One Pot Meals Ubiquitous General Cooking 8 31-08-2009 12:04 AM
How much queso fresco should I use? ~ Mexican Cooking 10 04-07-2008 12:55 AM
TN: al fresco wines with friends- VdP, CA, WA DaleW Wine 0 21-05-2007 08:38 PM
Fresco de Frutas Duckie ® Recipes 0 08-08-2005 01:42 PM
Farfalle al Tonno Fresco OreganoFromItaly.com Recipes (moderated) 0 21-07-2005 06:21 AM