Old 16-10-2003, 10:18 AM
Charles Gifford

Default green chili and cheese tamales

"Linda" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

They do use cheese in Mexico, but they do not saturate the food with

cheese
like
we do here. Your typical cheese enchilada that you find here oozing with
cheese is not
the norm in Mexico.

Ah, well that makes sense Linda. I do remember now that the cheese was added
as an additional ingredient rather like adding nopales.

As for tamales, I don't know about Mexico, because
every
tamal I ate there either had chicken or pork or were sweet, but in East

Los
Angeles they
do make these *killer* tamales with white cheese and green chiles, and

they
*are* good!

Oh yes! They are very good! I have only made tamales (beef) once. I now
purchase them. :-)

Charlie

Old 16-10-2003, 05:23 PM
A1 WBarfieldsr

Oh noooo, he said the T-M word. You're going to hell for that. Do you feel
the heat yet, lol

--
William Barfieldsr
"William Jennings" wrote in message

"Linda" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

Well then I guess my tamales were "authentic"

Not! They were Aztec tamakes. They were invented before Mexico existed.
You could have said Linda's Pre-Mexican tamales. I always check to ensure
things are "authentic" before I eat them. I don't care how good it is,

if
it's not "authentic" I give it to the cat.

Btw folks, tomorrow I'll have some of the best Tex-Mex enchiladas in

Texas.
They are found at Snapka's Drive Inn in Corpus Christi, Texas. The

large
order is $3.50 without rice and beans. It's not much in the style and

dash
department
but that lusty chili gravy forms a tidepool around cheese stuffed red

corn
tortillas with crisp chopped onions on top.
I've been going there since I was a kid. The same owner and one of the
car-hops used to chide me as a kid. I always tip her
very well.... revisiting my childhood.

To prove it's "authentic", it's called "Enchilada" which means "tortilla
cooked with some chile", very literally into English, "en-chile-ated".

So
that proves it! :-) Nothing for the cat.

Eat your heart out, http://www.askinformation.com/Snapkas.htm

doc

Old 16-10-2003, 05:28 PM
A1 WBarfieldsr

"Charles Gifford" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Linda" wrote in message
[...]

That vendor only makes "Authentic" Mexican tamales, right. Other wise you

and William are in the same boat, going down.
--

William Barfieldsr

Old 16-10-2003, 05:49 PM
Rich McCormack

fishman99 wrote:

any good, I mean good recipes for green chili and cheese tamales. I want
to try making them for the first time around christmas.

I made Green Corn Tamales with a roasted green chile and jack cheese
filling for a Chile-Head hotluck a couple of years ago. Turned out
pretty tasty, IMHO. The recipe can be found at the following link...

http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/tamales.html

--
Everything that is really great and inspiring is created
by the individual who can labor in freedom.

-- Albert Einstein

Rich McCormack (Poway, CA)

Who is Rich McCormack? Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/
Old 16-10-2003, 08:43 PM
Karen O'Mara

"Linda" wrote in message news:[email protected]
A lot of people claim you can put whatever you want in tamales. I know one
year I had a
lot of leftover turkey from Thanksgiving and I used it to make turkey
tamales (o.k. folks, flame away)
They were so good, I was even surprised myself.

Good idea for leftover turkey in a few weeks!

I've never made tamales but am thinking about it. Tamales sure vary
from cook to cook, too. Recently, I tasted a tamale where the masa was
really too hard. Is that from overworking the mixture or rolling it up
too tight? (banana leaves, not corn husks, were used to wrap before
steaming.)

Karen

Old 16-10-2003, 11:49 PM
Linda

"Linda" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

Well then I guess my tamales were "authentic"

Not! They were Aztec tamakes. They were invented before Mexico existed.
You could have said Linda's Pre-Mexican tamales. I always check to ensure
things are "authentic" before I eat them. I don't care how good it is, if
it's not "authentic" I give it to the cat.

...o.k. authentic Aztec tamales then...

Btw folks, tomorrow I'll have some of the best Tex-Mex enchiladas in

Texas.
They are found at Snapka's Drive Inn in Corpus Christi, Texas. The large
order is $3.50 without rice and beans. It's not much in the style and dash
department
but that lusty chili gravy forms a tidepool around cheese stuffed red corn
tortillas with crisp chopped onions on top.
I've been going there since I was a kid. The same owner and one of the
car-hops used to chide me as a kid. I always tip her
very well.... revisiting my childhood.

To prove it's "authentic", it's called "Enchilada" which means "tortilla
cooked with some chile", very literally into English, "en-chile-ated". So
that proves it! :-) Nothing for the cat.

"authentic" Tex-Mex Enchiladas? Hmmmm

Old 16-10-2003, 11:52 PM
Linda

"Karen O'Mara" wrote in message
om...
"Linda" wrote in message

news:[email protected]
A lot of people claim you can put whatever you want in tamales. I know

one
year I had a
lot of leftover turkey from Thanksgiving and I used it to make turkey
tamales (o.k. folks, flame away)
They were so good, I was even surprised myself.

Good idea for leftover turkey in a few weeks!

I've never made tamales but am thinking about it. Tamales sure vary
from cook to cook, too. Recently, I tasted a tamale where the masa was
really too hard. Is that from overworking the mixture or rolling it up
too tight? (banana leaves, not corn husks, were used to wrap before
steaming.)

Karen

Possibly not enough liquid or too much baking powder.

Linda

Old 02-11-2003, 03:22 AM
TPhil

Trader Joes sells excellent green chile & cheese tamales if they are in your
area.