Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Trader Joe's Green Chili & Cheese Tamales

All-
I just tried Trader Joe's Green Chili & Cheese Tamales, and they were
really wonderful. Here in Sacramento you get a 2 pack from their
freezer section for $1.99. They make a quick easy meal and were really
wonderful with a green salad.

We're still sweltering here in Sacramento, and I understand much of the
nation is. Hope you are all staying cool.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote

> I just tried Trader Joe's Green Chili & Cheese Tamales, and they were
> really wonderful. Here in Sacramento you get a 2 pack from their
> freezer section for $1.99. They make a quick easy meal and were really
> wonderful with a green salad.

Tamales in the corn husks? That might be worth a trip north, if that's the
case.

> We're still sweltering here in Sacramento, and I understand much of the
> nation is. Hope you are all staying cool.

Where I am they promise relief overnight. Thank goodness.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yes, they are in corn husks. I actually like them a little better than
those fresh made ones I talked about at the little local Mexican
market.

It's 105 degrees here again today!. . .It's supposed to be a bit cooler
(101) tomorrow. We can only hope!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jed wrote:

> They are good.
>
> Tip: If you have a vegetable steamer, use that to heat them up instead
> of the microwave. It gives a much more authentic texture to the masa
> and the microwave tends to dry out the ends of the tamales and makes
> them too chewy.

Agree, I wonder why they even bother suggesting using the microwave for
many such items because it gives such a mediocre result.

> TJ's also has corn husk wrapped tamales in the prepared meal section
> (salads and wraps section) that are pretty good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Personal taste question...

When we make tamales we always serve them with more chile to pour over
the top. When you buy these do you eat them plain or....?

marcella
thinking dry tamale

In article om>,
wrote:

> Yes, they are in corn husks. I actually like them a little better than
> those fresh made ones I talked about at the little local Mexican
> market.
>
> It's 105 degrees here again today!. . .It's supposed to be a bit cooler
> (101) tomorrow. We can only hope!
>
> Myrl Jeffcoat

http://www.myrljeffcoat.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 18:15:09 -0700, Marcella Peek
> wrote:

>Personal taste question...
>
>When we make tamales we always serve them with more chile to pour over
>the top. When you buy these do you eat them plain or....?

Autentico is to eat them without sauce. However, I have served them
with both homemade and canned enchilad sauce, but not much, they don't
need to be drowned in sauce. Just swirl some on the plate and lay the
tamales on top.

Also good is a salsa of some sort like Pico de Gallo. Even a fresh
salsa of diced onions, tomatoes, chiles, and cilantro is good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> All-
> I just tried Trader Joe's Green Chili & Cheese Tamales, and they were
> really wonderful. Here in Sacramento you get a 2 pack from their
> freezer section for $1.99. They make a quick easy meal and were really
> wonderful with a green salad.
>
> We're still sweltering here in Sacramento, and I understand much of the
> nation is. Hope you are all staying cool.
>
> Myrl Jeffcoat

those are good to take to work with a salad for lunch...I picked up a tub of
sun-dried tomato pesto and artichoke & lemon pesto last night...very good on
pasta & add some TJ parm.

Harriet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Jed > wrote:

> Autentico is to eat them without sauce. However, I have served them
> with both homemade and canned enchilad sauce, but not much, they don't
> need to be drowned in sauce. Just swirl some on the plate and lay the
> tamales on top.
>
> Also good is a salsa of some sort like Pico de Gallo. Even a fresh
> salsa of diced onions, tomatoes, chiles, and cilantro is good.

Thank you for the ideas.

marcella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Marcella Peek wrote:
> Personal taste question...
>
> When we make tamales we always serve them with more chile to pour over
> the top. When you buy these do you eat them plain or....?
>
> marcella
> thinking dry tamale

At the taqueria where I last had tamales (they were chicken tamales, by the
way) they offered a green tomatillo/pepper sauce to spoon over the top. It
was very thick and not really spicy. Complimented the tamales nicely. Wish
I had the recipe.

Jill

http://www.myrljeffcoat.com