Linda

Default green chili and cheese tamales

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message
> 4.17...
> > >

> > It isn't so much that it is non-mexican. It's just that cheese is
> > not a particularly common item in tamales. However, since Americans
> > love cheese, it makes sense that someone doing business in America would
> > add cheese to different items to appeal to a wider audience. You can
> > see this in many dishes such as enchiladas, which in the US are almost
> > always served with cheese, and in Mexico, very rarely, if ever.
> >
> > --Douglas

> Thank you for the interesting reply. You may well be correct. I was

watching
> a Rich Bayless program a couple of days ago and almost every taco and
> enchilada contained at least some cheese. This was a program about Mexico
> City food so that might be just local. They looked good to me!
>
> Charlie

They do use cheese in Mexico, but they do not saturate the food with cheese
like
we do here. Your typical cheese enchilada that you find here oozing with
cheese is not
the norm in Mexico. As for tamales, I don't know about Mexico, because
every
tamal I ate there either had chicken or pork or were sweet, but in East Los
Angeles they
do make these *killer* tamales with white cheese and green chiles, and they
*are* good!

A lot of people claim you can put whatever you want in tamales. I know one
year I had a
lot of leftover turkey from Thanksgiving and I used it to make turkey
tamales (o.k. folks, flame away)
They were so good, I was even surprised myself.

Linda