Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Green chili cheese bake

One usually hopes their offspring are better than they are.

This is from # 2 & # 3

In this case they a

Dimitri

Green Chili Cheese Bake
18 slices sourdough bread (or enough to cover the pan twice - fill up every
space with pieces!)
2-3 cups shredded jack cheese
2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1-3 4oz can diced green chilis
6-10 eggs
3 cups milk
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tblsp. chopped cilantro

Butter bottom of 9x13 glass baking dish. Place one layer of bread, top with
1/2 the cheese and green chilis, place next layer of bread and top with
remaining cheese and green chilis.
Mix eggs, milk and spices and pour over bread mixture. Let sit at least 2
hours, preferably over night. When ready, bake at 325 for 50-60 minutes.

Serve with salsa, guacamole and sour cream. Yumm!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 12:33:58 -0800, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>One usually hopes their offspring are better than they are.
>
>This is from # 2 & # 3
>
>In this case they a
>
>Dimitri
>
>Green Chili Cheese Bake
>18 slices sourdough bread (or enough to cover the pan twice - fill up every
>space with pieces!)
>2-3 cups shredded jack cheese
>2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
>1-3 4oz can diced green chilis
>6-10 eggs
>3 cups milk
>1 tsp red pepper flakes
>2 tblsp. chopped cilantro
>
>Butter bottom of 9x13 glass baking dish. Place one layer of bread, top with
>1/2 the cheese and green chilis, place next layer of bread and top with
>remaining cheese and green chilis.
>Mix eggs, milk and spices and pour over bread mixture. Let sit at least 2
>hours, preferably over night. When ready, bake at 325 for 50-60 minutes.
>
>Serve with salsa, guacamole and sour cream. Yumm!!

Now you're talkin'! Thanks.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 15:01:39 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 12:33:58 -0800, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>
> >One usually hopes their offspring are better than they are.
> >
> >This is from # 2 & # 3
> >
> >In this case they a
> >
> >Dimitri
> >
> >Green Chili Cheese Bake
> >18 slices sourdough bread (or enough to cover the pan twice - fill up every
> >space with pieces!)
> >2-3 cups shredded jack cheese
> >2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
> >1-3 4oz can diced green chilis
> >6-10 eggs
> >3 cups milk
> >1 tsp red pepper flakes
> >2 tblsp. chopped cilantro
> >
> >Butter bottom of 9x13 glass baking dish. Place one layer of bread, top with
> >1/2 the cheese and green chilis, place next layer of bread and top with
> >remaining cheese and green chilis.
> >Mix eggs, milk and spices and pour over bread mixture. Let sit at least 2
> >hours, preferably over night. When ready, bake at 325 for 50-60 minutes.
> >
> >Serve with salsa, guacamole and sour cream. Yumm!!

> Now you're talkin'! Thanks.

If you think you'll like that, then you'll love green chile quiche!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:01:39 PM UTC-6, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 12:33:58 -0800, "Dimitri" >
>
> wrote:
>

> >One usually hopes their offspring are better than they are.

> >This is from # 2 & # 3

> >In this case they a

> >Dimitri

> >Green Chili Cheese Bake

> >18 slices sourdough bread (or enough to cover the pan twice - fill up every

> >space with pieces!)

> >2-3 cups shredded jack cheese

> >2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese

> >1-3 4oz can diced green chilis

> >6-10 eggs

> >3 cups milk

> >1 tsp red pepper flakes

> >2 tblsp. chopped cilantro

> >Butter bottom of 9x13 glass baking dish. Place one layer of bread, top with

> >1/2 the cheese and green chilis, place next layer of bread and top with

> >remaining cheese and green chilis.

> >Mix eggs, milk and spices and pour over bread mixture. Let sit at least 2

> >hours, preferably over night. When ready, bake at 325 for 50-60 minutes.

> >Serve with salsa, guacamole and sour cream. Yumm!!

> Now you're talkin'! Thanks.

But why the heck use freakin' canned chilis?

> Janet US

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:17:36 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 15:01:39 -0700, Janet Bostwick
>
> > wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 12:33:58 -0800, "Dimitri" >

> > wrote:

> > >One usually hopes their offspring are better than they are.

> > >This is from # 2 & # 3

> > >In this case they a

> > >Dimitri

> > >Green Chili Cheese Bake

> > >18 slices sourdough bread (or enough to cover the pan twice - fill up every

> > >space with pieces!)

> > >2-3 cups shredded jack cheese

> > >2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese

> > >1-3 4oz can diced green chilis

> > >6-10 eggs

> > >3 cups milk

> > >1 tsp red pepper flakes

> > >2 tblsp. chopped cilantro

> > >Butter bottom of 9x13 glass baking dish. Place one layer of bread, top with

> > >1/2 the cheese and green chilis, place next layer of bread and top with

> > >remaining cheese and green chilis.

> > >Mix eggs, milk and spices and pour over bread mixture. Let sit at least 2

> > >hours, preferably over night. When ready, bake at 325 for 50-60 minutes.

> > >Serve with salsa, guacamole and sour cream. Yumm!!

> > Now you're talkin'! Thanks.

> If you think you'll like that, then you'll love green chile quiche!

I searched for green chile quiche, and this is what I found.
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1726...248196,00.html

Canned chilis. Folks, this is 2012. You can buy fresh chilis. They're certainly no more expensive that those stupid little cans. Geez.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/12/12 10:30 AM, Bryan wrote:

> Canned chilis. Folks, this is 2012. You can buy fresh chilis. They're certainly no more expensive that those stupid little cans. Geez.
>>

> --Bryan

Because then it becomes almost one of those "got all the ingredients in
the pantry" handy recipes one can keep for unexpected meals.

Sidenote: I'd call this dish a chile strata rather than a quiche.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> On 12/12/12 10:30 AM, Bryan wrote:
>
>> Canned chilis. Folks, this is 2012. You can buy fresh chilis. They're
>> certainly no more expensive that those stupid little cans. Geez.
>>>

>> --Bryan
>>

> Because then it becomes almost one of those "got all the ingredients in
> the pantry" handy recipes one can keep for unexpected meals.
>
> Sidenote: I'd call this dish a chile strata rather than a quiche.

I love the convenience of canned chiles.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 07:30:54 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

> On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:17:36 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> >

> > If you think you'll like that, then you'll love green chile quiche!
> >

> I searched for green chile quiche, and this is what I found.
> http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1726...248196,00.html
>
> Canned chilis. Folks, this is 2012. You can buy fresh chilis. They're certainly no more expensive that those stupid little cans. Geez.

Bryan, you're not giving anyone the benefit of the doubt. Those who
care as much as you do about using fresh chilis are perfectly capable
of looking at a recipe like that and making the leap from canned to
fresh. It ain't rocket science. People who don't meal plan a week in
advance don't care. They'd rather keep a can of chopped chilis in the
cupboard so they can make quiche without making a special trip to the
store to buy them. I'm in the don't care category. I have canned
chilis in the cupboard and prepared fresh chilis in the freezer; but
there ain't no way I'm going to make a big production out of something
as simple as green chili quiche... and if I have to prepare fresh
chilis from scratch just to make it - that's a big production.

BTW: My biggest objection to that recipe is the cheese. Good god.
Jack is insipid, but cheddar cheese in quiche? Barf!

To recap: You object to the type of chili that recipe calls for and I
object to the type of cheese. Go in peace, my friend.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 10:13:02 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Goomba" > wrote in message
>> On 12/12/12 10:30 AM, Bryan wrote:
>>
>>> Canned chilis. Folks, this is 2012. You can buy fresh chilis. They're
>>> certainly no more expensive that those stupid little cans. Geez.
>>>>

>>> --Bryan
>>>

>> Because then it becomes almost one of those "got all the ingredients in
>> the pantry" handy recipes one can keep for unexpected meals.
>>
>> Sidenote: I'd call this dish a chile strata rather than a quiche.

>I love the convenience of canned chiles.
>
>Cheri

A couple of months ago I saw a pad of coupons for $1 off on any 2
Ortega products. Two cans of Ortega chiles is $1.58 -- do the math --
a good deal. I kept a watch out, and no one else was using the
coupons, so I grabbed a bunch. I have until the end of April to use
them. I sometimes mix frozen corn and frozen limas and add a can of
chiles. There are plenty of places that a can adds just a little
something extra. I have a freezer full of my own frozen jalepenos,
Fresnos and Anaheims. I use those for cooking.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 07:21:46 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:01:39 PM UTC-6, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 12:33:58 -0800, "Dimitri" >
>>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >One usually hopes their offspring are better than they are.

>> >This is from # 2 & # 3

>> >In this case they a

>> >Dimitri

>> >Green Chili Cheese Bake

>> >18 slices sourdough bread (or enough to cover the pan twice - fill up every

>> >space with pieces!)

>> >2-3 cups shredded jack cheese

>> >2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese

>> >1-3 4oz can diced green chilis

>> >6-10 eggs

>> >3 cups milk

>> >1 tsp red pepper flakes

>> >2 tblsp. chopped cilantro

>> >Butter bottom of 9x13 glass baking dish. Place one layer of bread, top with

>> >1/2 the cheese and green chilis, place next layer of bread and top with

>> >remaining cheese and green chilis.

>> >Mix eggs, milk and spices and pour over bread mixture. Let sit at least 2

>> >hours, preferably over night. When ready, bake at 325 for 50-60 minutes.

>> >Serve with salsa, guacamole and sour cream. Yumm!!

>> Now you're talkin'! Thanks.

>But why the heck use freakin' canned chilis?
>>
>> Janet US

>--Bryan

I made the transition easily. The only thing that is possibly
different, is that the canned chilis are juicy. That juice flavor
might spread through the bread mixture whereas the individual chopped
chilis might only be the flavor of the piece.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message news:d98284f5-4ff7

<snip>>

>> If you think you'll like that, then you'll love green chile quiche!
>>

> I searched for green chile quiche, and this is what I found.
> http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1726...248196,00.html
>
> Canned chilis. Folks, this is 2012. You can buy fresh chilis. They're
> certainly no more expensive that those stupid little cans. Geez.
>>

> --Bryan

Yes and I have many frozen roasted Hatch chilies in the freezer. However
there are Several advantages to the canned chilies.

First is the convenience

Second the "heat" is very consistent which you can not claim for fresh
chilies.

Third we are talking about roasted green chilies and roasting at home on a
gas range fills the house with smoke then requires resting in a closed
environment (paper bag) for several hours till cool.

Finally if you have a Trader Joe's they stock diced roasted Hatch chilies in
the small can and they're pretty damn good.

Dimitri

Experienced Member

I love cooking different varieties of vegetarian recipes at home. While surfing the web recently, I came across a great recipe on Sheffafoods – Green Chilli Cheese Bake, with rice.

Ingredients

1 cup uncooked rice
3 medium Zucchini thinly sliced
7-1/2 ounce coarsely chopped Green Chili
12 ounces grated Pepper Jack Cheese
1 large Tomato peeled and thinly sliced
1 teaspoon Salt
2 cups Sour Cream
1 teaspoon Oregano
1 teaspoon Garlic Salt
1/4 cup chopped Green Onion
1/4 cup chopped Green Pepper
2 tablespoons Chopped Parsley

Cook rice according to package directions.Cook zucchini in a small amount of oil until crisp then drain and set aside.In three quart buttered casserole place cooked rice then cover with chopped chilies.Sprinkle with 1/2 of the cheese,then arrange zucchini over cheese.Add tomato slices and sprinkle with salt.Combine sour cream, oregano, garlic salt, green pepper and onions,and thenlaythe tomatoes.Scatter remaining cheese and bake covered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.