fishman99

Default green chili and cheese tamales

any good, I mean good recipes for green chili and cheese tamales. I want
to try making them for the first time around christmas.

Wayne Lundberg

"fishman99" > wrote in message
> any good, I mean good recipes for green chili and cheese

tamales. --snip---

If you are serving people who know even a little bit about the Mexican food
culture, you will do well to forget the cheese tamales and focus on one
third of your cooking to be pork with green chile, one third chicken with
red chile sauce and one third sweet tamales.

Wayne

Charles Gifford

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

> "fishman99" > wrote in message
> > any good, I mean good recipes for green chili and cheese

> tamales. --snip---
>
> If you are serving people who know even a little bit about the Mexican

food
> culture, you will do well to forget the cheese tamales and focus on one
> third of your cooking to be pork with green chile, one third chicken with
> red chile sauce and one third sweet tamales.
>
> Wayne

Well Wayne, not being Mexican I guess I'm covered. I love cheese and green
chile tamales. I don't make them but there is a good place to purchase them
not too far from me. Haven't had any for a while. I'd better make a visit
and get some. Odd though that a Mexican grocery and butcher would make and
sell such a non-Mexican item. Hmmm.

Charlie

Jim Lane

Charles Gifford wrote:
> "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
>
>>"fishman99" > wrote in message
>>
>>>any good, I mean good recipes for green chili and cheese

>>tamales. --snip---
>>
>>If you are serving people who know even a little bit about the Mexican

> food
>
>>culture, you will do well to forget the cheese tamales and focus on one
>>third of your cooking to be pork with green chile, one third chicken with
>>red chile sauce and one third sweet tamales.
>>
>>Wayne

> Well Wayne, not being Mexican I guess I'm covered. I love cheese and green
> chile tamales. I don't make them but there is a good place to purchase them
> not too far from me. Haven't had any for a while. I'd better make a visit
> and get some. Odd though that a Mexican grocery and butcher would make and
> sell such a non-Mexican item. Hmmm.
>
> Charlie

Excuse me, but where did Wayne say they were "not Mexican?" He advised
you to extend your tastes and try some of the others.

jim

Douglas S. Ladden

The Terran carbon-based unit designating itself as "Charles Gifford"
> shared its ideas in alt.food.mexican-cooking
on Mon, 13 Oct 2003 09:10:12 GMT:

> "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
>>
>> "fishman99" > wrote in message
>> > any good, I mean good recipes for green chili and cheese

>> tamales. --snip---
>>
>> If you are serving people who know even a little bit about the
>> Mexican

> food
>> culture, you will do well to forget the cheese tamales and focus on
>> one third of your cooking to be pork with green chile, one third
>> chicken with red chile sauce and one third sweet tamales.
>>
>> Wayne

> Well Wayne, not being Mexican I guess I'm covered. I love cheese and
> green chile tamales. I don't make them but there is a good place to
> purchase them not too far from me. Haven't had any for a while. I'd
> better make a visit and get some. Odd though that a Mexican grocery
> and butcher would make and sell such a non-Mexican item. Hmmm.

It isn't so much that it is non-mexican. It's just that cheese is
not a particularly common item in tamales. However, since Americans
love cheese, it makes sense that someone doing business in America would
add cheese to different items to appeal to a wider audience. You can
see this in many dishes such as enchiladas, which in the US are almost
always served with cheese, and in Mexico, very rarely, if ever.

--Douglas

Charles Gifford

"Jim Lane" > wrote in message

> Excuse me, but where did Wayne say they were "not Mexican?" He advised
> you to extend your tastes and try some of the others.
>

> jim

You are excused. He did not advise me about anything. I was responding to
his post. In any case, his post was not very helpful to the OP. Perhaps you
read the OP's and Wayne's posts differently than I did.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message
4.17...

> It isn't so much that it is non-mexican. It's just that cheese is
> not a particularly common item in tamales. However, since Americans
> love cheese, it makes sense that someone doing business in America would
> add cheese to different items to appeal to a wider audience. You can
> see this in many dishes such as enchiladas, which in the US are almost
> always served with cheese, and in Mexico, very rarely, if ever.
>
> --Douglas

Thank you for the interesting reply. You may well be correct. I was watching
a Rich Bayless program a couple of days ago and almost every taco and
enchilada contained at least some cheese. This was a program about Mexico
City food so that might be just local. They looked good to me!

Charlie

Linda

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message
> 4.17...
> > >

> > It isn't so much that it is non-mexican. It's just that cheese is
> > not a particularly common item in tamales. However, since Americans
> > love cheese, it makes sense that someone doing business in America would
> > add cheese to different items to appeal to a wider audience. You can
> > see this in many dishes such as enchiladas, which in the US are almost
> > always served with cheese, and in Mexico, very rarely, if ever.
> >
> > --Douglas

> Thank you for the interesting reply. You may well be correct. I was

watching
> a Rich Bayless program a couple of days ago and almost every taco and
> enchilada contained at least some cheese. This was a program about Mexico
> City food so that might be just local. They looked good to me!
>
> Charlie

They do use cheese in Mexico, but they do not saturate the food with cheese
like
we do here. Your typical cheese enchilada that you find here oozing with
cheese is not
the norm in Mexico. As for tamales, I don't know about Mexico, because
every
tamal I ate there either had chicken or pork or were sweet, but in East Los
Angeles they
do make these *killer* tamales with white cheese and green chiles, and they
*are* good!

A lot of people claim you can put whatever you want in tamales. I know one
year I had a
lot of leftover turkey from Thanksgiving and I used it to make turkey
tamales (o.k. folks, flame away)
They were so good, I was even surprised myself.

Linda

William Jennings

"Linda" > wrote in message

<snip>

> I know one year I had a lot of leftover turkey from Thanksgiving and I

used it to make turkey
> tamales (o.k. folks, flame away)
> They were so good, I was even surprised myself.

If I'm not mistaken, turkey in tamales was an original Aztec food.

doc

Linda

Well then I guess my tamales were "authentic"

Linda

"William Jennings" > wrote in message

> "Linda" > wrote in message
>
> <snip>
>
> > I know one year I had a lot of leftover turkey from Thanksgiving and I

> used it to make turkey
> > tamales (o.k. folks, flame away)
> > They were so good, I was even surprised myself.

> If I'm not mistaken, turkey in tamales was an original Aztec food.
>
> doc

Jack Schidt®

"Linda" > wrote in message
> Well then I guess my tamales were "authentic"

I think authenticity is a subconscious thing.

Jack

Douglas S. Ladden

The Terran carbon-based unit designating itself as "William Jennings"
> shared its ideas in alt.food.mexican-cooking on
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 23:05:04 GMT:

> "Linda" > wrote in message
>
> <snip>
>
> > I know one year I had a lot of leftover turkey from Thanksgiving
> > and I

> used it to make turkey
>> tamales (o.k. folks, flame away)
>> They were so good, I was even surprised myself.

> If I'm not mistaken, turkey in tamales was an original Aztec food.
>
> doc

Maybe we'll find out for sure when the Museum of the Tamal opens.
It was originally scheduled to open this fall, but has now been pushed
to Spring, 2004. It will be housed in an ancient adobe building, part
of the Mision San Juan Capistrano, in California. It was the brainchild
of John Rivera Sedlar, alleged "King of the Tamal".

Until then, you can look at all the yummy regional tamal recipes
(if you read Spanish) he http://www.tamales.com.mx/tmapa.htm. There
are some cool recipes there, including many I've never heard of. Enjoy!

--Douglas
Douglas S. Ladden

The Terran carbon-based unit designating itself as "Linda"
> shared its ideas in alt.food.mexican-cooking
on Thu, 16 Oct 2003 01:31:15 GMT:

[TOP Posting Fixed]

> "William Jennings" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Linda" > wrote in message
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> > I know one year I had a lot of leftover turkey from Thanksgiving
>> > and I

>> used it to make turkey
>> > tamales (o.k. folks, flame away)
>> > They were so good, I was even surprised myself.

>> If I'm not mistaken, turkey in tamales was an original Aztec food.
>>

> Well then I guess my tamales were "authentic"
>
> Linda

Actually, doc's post prompted me to actually research this, and
though not authoritative, what I found was the following: " Los aztecas
rellenaban los tamales con chile dulce, tomate y semillas de zapallo
molidas, mezcladas a la carne de faisanes, codornices y pavos." This
translates to "The Aztecs filled the tamales with sweet chile, tomato,
ground zapallo (pumpkin) seeds, mixtures with pheasant, quail and turkey
meat." So, doc was right on.

--Douglas
William Jennings

"Linda" > wrote in message

> Well then I guess my tamales were "authentic"

Not! They were Aztec tamakes. They were invented before Mexico existed.
You could have said Linda's Pre-Mexican tamales. I always check to ensure
things are "authentic" before I eat them. I don't care how good it is, if
it's not "authentic" I give it to the cat.

Btw folks, tomorrow I'll have some of the best Tex-Mex enchiladas in Texas.
They are found at Snapka's Drive Inn in Corpus Christi, Texas. The large
order is $3.50 without rice and beans. It's not much in the style and dash
department
but that lusty chili gravy forms a tidepool around cheese stuffed red corn
tortillas with crisp chopped onions on top.
I've been going there since I was a kid. The same owner and one of the
car-hops used to chide me as a kid. I always tip her
very well.... revisiting my childhood.

To prove it's "authentic", it's called "Enchilada" which means "tortilla
cooked with some chile", very literally into English, "en-chile-ated". So
that proves it! :-) Nothing for the cat.

Eat your heart out, http://www.askinformation.com/Snapkas.htm

doc

William Jennings

"Douglas S. Ladden" > wrote in message >
Actually, doc's post prompted me to actually research this, and
> though not authoritative, what I found was the following: " Los aztecas
> rellenaban los tamales con chile dulce, tomate y semillas de zapallo
> molidas, mezcladas a la carne de faisanes, codornices y pavos." This
> translates to "The Aztecs filled the tamales with sweet chile, tomato,
> ground zapallo (pumpkin) seeds, mixtures with pheasant, quail and turkey
> meat." So, doc was right on.
>
> --Douglas

I just saw this. I thought I read it in one of the Aztec codices but..... I
sometimes drink and read ;-)

doc

Charles Gifford

"Linda" > wrote in message

> They do use cheese in Mexico, but they do not saturate the food with

cheese
> like
> we do here. Your typical cheese enchilada that you find here oozing with
> cheese is not
> the norm in Mexico.

Ah, well that makes sense Linda. I do remember now that the cheese was added
as an additional ingredient rather like adding nopales.

> As for tamales, I don't know about Mexico, because
> every
> tamal I ate there either had chicken or pork or were sweet, but in East

Los
> Angeles they
> do make these *killer* tamales with white cheese and green chiles, and

they
> *are* good!

Oh yes! They are very good! I have only made tamales (beef) once. I now
purchase them. :-)

Charlie

A1 WBarfieldsr

Oh noooo, he said the T-M word. You're going to hell for that. Do you feel
the heat yet, lol

--
William Barfieldsr
"William Jennings" > wrote in message

> "Linda" > wrote in message
>
> > Well then I guess my tamales were "authentic"

> Not! They were Aztec tamakes. They were invented before Mexico existed.
> You could have said Linda's Pre-Mexican tamales. I always check to ensure
> things are "authentic" before I eat them. I don't care how good it is,

if
> it's not "authentic" I give it to the cat.
>
> Btw folks, tomorrow I'll have some of the best Tex-Mex enchiladas in

Texas.
> They are found at Snapka's Drive Inn in Corpus Christi, Texas. The

large
> order is $3.50 without rice and beans. It's not much in the style and

dash
> department
> but that lusty chili gravy forms a tidepool around cheese stuffed red

corn
> tortillas with crisp chopped onions on top.
> I've been going there since I was a kid. The same owner and one of the
> car-hops used to chide me as a kid. I always tip her
> very well.... revisiting my childhood.
>
> To prove it's "authentic", it's called "Enchilada" which means "tortilla
> cooked with some chile", very literally into English, "en-chile-ated".

So
> that proves it! :-) Nothing for the cat.
>

> Eat your heart out, http://www.askinformation.com/Snapkas.htm
>
> doc

A1 WBarfieldsr

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Linda" > wrote in message
> >

> > They do use cheese in Mexico, but they do not saturate the food with

> cheese
> > like
> > we do here. Your typical cheese enchilada that you find here oozing

with
> > cheese is not
> > the norm in Mexico.

> Ah, well that makes sense Linda. I do remember now that the cheese was

added
> as an additional ingredient rather like adding nopales.
>
> > As for tamales, I don't know about Mexico, because
> > every
> > tamal I ate there either had chicken or pork or were sweet, but in East

> Los
> > Angeles they
> > do make these *killer* tamales with white cheese and green chiles, and

> they
> > *are* good!

> Oh yes! They are very good! I have only made tamales (beef) once. I now
> purchase them. :-)
>
> Charlie

>That vendor only makes "Authentic" Mexican tamales, right. Other wise you

and William are in the same boat, going down.
> --

William Barfieldsr

Rich McCormack

fishman99 wrote:

> any good, I mean good recipes for green chili and cheese tamales. I want
> to try making them for the first time around christmas.

I made Green Corn Tamales with a roasted green chile and jack cheese
filling for a Chile-Head hotluck a couple of years ago. Turned out
pretty tasty, IMHO. The recipe can be found at the following link...

http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/tamales.html

--
Everything that is really great and inspiring is created
by the individual who can labor in freedom.

-- Albert Einstein

Rich McCormack (Poway, CA)

Who is Rich McCormack? Find out at...
http://home.pacbell.net/macknet/
Karen O'Mara

"Linda" > wrote in message news:<_Xdjb.66120$vj2.63360@fed1read06>...
> A lot of people claim you can put whatever you want in tamales. I know one
> year I had a
> lot of leftover turkey from Thanksgiving and I used it to make turkey
> tamales (o.k. folks, flame away)
> They were so good, I was even surprised myself.

Good idea for leftover turkey in a few weeks!

I've never made tamales but am thinking about it. Tamales sure vary
from cook to cook, too. Recently, I tasted a tamale where the masa was
really too hard. Is that from overworking the mixture or rolling it up
too tight? (banana leaves, not corn husks, were used to wrap before
steaming.)

Karen

Linda

"William Jennings" > wrote in message

> "Linda" > wrote in message
>
> > Well then I guess my tamales were "authentic"

> Not! They were Aztec tamakes. They were invented before Mexico existed.
> You could have said Linda's Pre-Mexican tamales. I always check to ensure
> things are "authentic" before I eat them. I don't care how good it is, if
> it's not "authentic" I give it to the cat.

...o.k. authentic Aztec tamales then...

> Btw folks, tomorrow I'll have some of the best Tex-Mex enchiladas in

Texas.
> They are found at Snapka's Drive Inn in Corpus Christi, Texas. The large
> order is $3.50 without rice and beans. It's not much in the style and dash
> department
> but that lusty chili gravy forms a tidepool around cheese stuffed red corn
> tortillas with crisp chopped onions on top.
> I've been going there since I was a kid. The same owner and one of the
> car-hops used to chide me as a kid. I always tip her
> very well.... revisiting my childhood.
>
> To prove it's "authentic", it's called "Enchilada" which means "tortilla
> cooked with some chile", very literally into English, "en-chile-ated". So
> that proves it! :-) Nothing for the cat.

"authentic" Tex-Mex Enchiladas? Hmmmm

> Eat your heart out, http://www.askinformation.com/Snapkas.htm
>
> doc

Linda

"Karen O'Mara" > wrote in message
om...
> "Linda" > wrote in message

> > A lot of people claim you can put whatever you want in tamales. I know

one
> > year I had a
> > lot of leftover turkey from Thanksgiving and I used it to make turkey
> > tamales (o.k. folks, flame away)
> > They were so good, I was even surprised myself.

> Good idea for leftover turkey in a few weeks!
>
> I've never made tamales but am thinking about it. Tamales sure vary
> from cook to cook, too. Recently, I tasted a tamale where the masa was
> really too hard. Is that from overworking the mixture or rolling it up
> too tight? (banana leaves, not corn husks, were used to wrap before
> steaming.)
>
> Karen

Possibly not enough liquid or too much baking powder.

Linda

TPhil

Trader Joes sells excellent green chile & cheese tamales if they are in your
area.