Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default El Sur: Especialidades de Tabasco

El Sur: Especialidades de Tabasco

The cuisine of Tabasco is mysterious because of the cultural collision
between Mayans, Mexicans, and Catalonians, who speak their own version
of Spanish

Got recipes?

Amashito (chile muy pequeno)
Very small chile

Anona (chirimoya)
Cheremoya fruit

Bacal (olote de maiz)
Corn on the cob

Barbacoa de pescado, o Petze
Barbecued fish, or (a word that means "hair cut" in an extinct Mayan
dialect?)

Butifarras
Catalan sausages made of raw pork and spices

Capon (puerco castrado)
Castrated pig

Carne salada con chaya (cactaceas)
Salted meat with Mayan chay leaves (cacti) (tree spinach)

Chanchamitos en salsa (tamales cilindricos envuelto en hoja de maiz)
Mayan chicken tamales in sauce (cylindrical tamales rolled in corn
husks)

Chegua (maiz cocido)
Cooked corn

Chile Amash
A very small chile

Chinin (fruta comestible parecida al aguacate)
Avocado-like fruit

Chiquiguao (tortuga lagarto)
Alligator turtle

Chirmol de Cangrejo
Crab in a spicy stew

Chucumite (robalo pequeno)
Small sea bass

Colcobosh (cacao seco en la mata)
Dried cacao in the trees?

Cocteles de diversos mariscos
Seafood cocktails

Cuijinicuil (fruta leguminosa con forma de vaina)
Pod shaped legume

Cuino (cerdo muy gordo)
Very fat pig

Empanadas de camaron
Shrimp turnovers

Empanadas de Minilla
Fish turnovers

El que bebe (algun liquido para tomar)
Mother's milk?

Empeya (grasa de puerco, gordura)
Pork fat

Frijoles de Tabasco
Tabasco style Beans

Frijoles Negros con Cerdo Salado
Black beans with pork and pork skin. Served hot with white rice and
radish, coriander, onion, chili, lemon and salt

Gallina en sangre
Skirt steak in blood

Guao (tortuga mordedora)
Snapping turtle

Guao relleno o asado
Stuffed or roasted snapping turtle

Guineo (platano dulce)
Sweet plantain

Hicotea en estofado
Stewed painted turtle

Hicotea lampreada o en sangre
River turtle lampreada? or in blood

Huliche (Comida indígena, masa con carne de pavo)
Masa with turkey

Iguana Guisada
Iguana Stew

Jaiba Rellena
Stuffed crab

Joloche (hoja de maiz)
Corn husk

Jueche (armadillo) en adobo
Armadillo in spicy sauce

Jujo (fruta regional)
A regional fruit

Maneas (tamales grandes sin color, con Chipiln)
Large, colorless tamales with chipilin leaves

Momo
Hoja santa

Mondongo en Ajiaco
Tripe soup in chile sauce

Mone de Cerdo
Smoked pork, aka "monkey meat"

Nuegano (pan rojo en forma de bola)
Red bread in the shape of a ball

Ostion ahumado o en escabeche
Smoked or pickled oysters

Ostion al tapesco o relleno
Oysters "tapas style"? or stuffed

Pato en chirmol
Duck in chile sauce

Pejelagarto Asado
Grilled garfish with a special flavor, with chili,
"amashito"(condiment) and lemon.

Pejelagarto en Chirmol
Garfish in a spicy stew

Pescado en caldo
Fish in broth

Pescado de mone
Monkfish

Pescado Sudado
Steamed sea bream with salt and pepper covered with "momo" leaves
(regional plant)

Pigua al Mojo de Ajo
River shrimp in garlic sauce

Pijije y pato de monte en pipian
Pijije? and mountain duck in pumpkin seed mole

Piripollo (pastel de pollo)
Chicken pot pie?

Pishcao (maiz cocido)
Cooked corn

Pochitoque (tortuga de caja)
Box turtle

Pochitoque en Verde
Box turtle in green sauce, served as an "appetizer"

Poste de Pescado
Sun dried fish

Poxe (guisado de pescado con hoja de momo)
Fish stew with hoja santa

Puchero de Res
Beef stew

Queque (galleta dura en forma de estrella o flor)
Star or flower-shaped hard cookie

Queso Tabasqueno
Tabasco cheese

Robalo a la Tabasquena
Sea bass stuffed with shrimps, octopus, and squid. Seasoned with
orange juice and baked. Served with white rice, "chaya" leaves and
green banana

Shote (caracol de rio)
River snail

Sisgua
Mexican corn pie, made with tender kernels of corn, milk, eggs, cheese

Sopa de Platano Verde
Green plaintain (or green banana) soup

Sote en Verde o en Colorado
Sote? in green or red sauce

Tamales de Chipilin
Tamales filled with chipilin leaves or wrapped in chipilin leaves

Tamales de Frijol
Tamales filled with beans

Tamalitos de chipilin

Tamalitos de maiz nuevo

Tamalitos de pejelagarto

Totopostes
Totopos

Torta de Iguana
Typical dish from Tabasco prepared with iguana, parsley, chili, onion
and eggs. It is baked in a banana leaf.

Tortilla de Ajo
Garlic tortilla with whatever else you'd like on it

Tortillas al mojo de ajo o rellenas de mariscos
Tortillas in garlic sauce or stuufed with seafood

Tortillas de frijol, yuca o platano
Tortillas filled with beans, cassava, or plantain

Tortillas de maiz nuevo
Tortillas of new corn

Tortuga en Sangre o Verde
Sea turtle in blood or green sauce

Tepezcuintle Adobado
Aztec dog in spicy sauce

Ubre asada
Roast udder

Yagual (canasto que se coloca sobre el fogón para ahumar comida)
Basket placed over the fire to smoke food

Zumuque (tamal sin carne)
Meatless tamale

Postres:
Desserts:

Avena con Cacao
Oats with cocoa

Blanquillas
Eggs?

Bunuelos de Arroz con Miel de Higo
Rice bunuelos with honey of fig

Bunuelos de Platano
Plantain or banana bunuelos

Bunuelos de Rodilla con Azucar

Calabazate
Pumpkin

Dulce de Calabaza
Pumpkin sweet

Dulce de Camote
Sweet potato sweet

Dulce de Chigua (tipo de calabaza, cuya pepita se usa para preparar
pipián)
Chigua is a type of pumpkin, whose seeds are used to make pipian mole

Dulce de Cocoyol
The meat of miniature coconuts is boiled with spices, cinnamon and
water to make a sweet syrup

Dulce de Huapaque
?

Dulce de Limon Real
Eoyal lemon sweet

Dulce de Nance (Nanche)
Byrsonima crassifolia is a tropical tree that produces the small
yellow orange fruit commonly called "nance", AKA changugu, chi, nance
agrio, nanche, nanchi, nancen, nanche de perro, nananche, and nantzin.
Nance is boiled in water with sugar to make
Dulce de Nance, but it also appears in other Mexican cooking, such as
chicken stew, and it can be fermented to make an alcoholic beverage.

Dulce de Grosella
Gooseberry dessert

Dulce de Guapague (Guapacque)
Bittersweet candy made with "guapaque" (fruit) with brown sugar

Dulce de Papaya-Zapote (Mamey)
This fruit is also known as "mamey", mixed with fig and honey.

Empanadas de Queso con Azucar
Cheese turnovers with sugar

Leche quemada
Milk and sugar, caramelized

Limones rellenos
Stuffed lemons

Marquezote
Sweet bread

Merengues de guanabana
Guava meringues

Nance en Licor

Orejemico (dulce de papaya tierna)
Sweet made of tender papaya

Orejas de Mico
Ears of papaya

Pan de Platano
Banana bread made with butter, flour, vanilla and bananas, sprinkled
with sugar

Panetelas
Layer cakes with various fruits and frosting or powdered sugar on top

Pan de huevo
Egg bread

Papin
Something cooked in a pressure cooker?

Pataste (cacao corriente de sabor agridulce)
Cacao running of sweet and sour flavor

Platano asado
Roasted banana or plantain

Platano verde machacado
Mashed green banana or plantain

Torrejas de yuca
Fried slices of yuca

Tortas de Platano
Plantain or banana cakes?

Torta de Elote
Mexican corn pie, made with fresh corn kernels or canned cream of
corn, eggs, milk, cream, flour

Turulete
?

Tortilla de Coco
"Little tart", made of coconut and brown sugar, baked for an hour

Tostadas de platano verde frito
Fried green banana (or plantain?) tostadas

Salsa borracha
Drunken sauce

Zizgua
?

Bebidas:
Drinks:

Agua de matali

Atole Agrio
Made with fermented corn boiled with brown sugar.

Balche
Non-alcoholic "atole" (thick maize drink) made from the bark from a
regional tree. "Balche" bark is fermented and sweet with honey or
anise. For the ancient Mayas, it was a ritual beverage. Today, it is a
regional drink of Quintana Roo, Yucatan and Tabasco. The Chontales, an
ethnic group from the State of Tabasco, offers balche to the Earth, to
the mountains and to the goblins, who take care of their corn crops
and domestic animals.

Cacaotada
Something made with cacao

Chocolate
Can be prepared with water or milk

Chorote
Refreshing drink made with corn, salt, and cacao. Served in a bowl

Conserva de torno largo, Nacajuca, Jalpa
Various prserved fruits

Guarapo
Sugarcane juice, corn, "pulque" (distilled spirit from cactus) and
honey. Traditional drink of Veracruz and Tabasco.

Iliztle
Alcoholic beverage made with sugarcane or grapes, peach and pears.
This is a domestic drink sometimes used for rituals.

Manjar
A treat, whatever it is

Mistela
?

Pinol (harina de maiz)
Corn flour

Pozol
Prepared with "nixtamal" (corn flour), cacao and water.

Pozol fresco
Cool pozol

Pozol con Pixte
A mixture of toasted corn, water, and "pixte" (red sapodilla seed).

Polvillo de Maiz
Roasted white corn, ground to a fine powder, sometimes eaten with
cinnamon for Lent

Refrescos de frutas, tales como: Uspi, mango, guineos, anonas, chinín,
jujo, macal, yuca, camote, mamey, huapaque, maranon, aguacate,
cuijinicuil, pan de sopa, melocoton, pibas, caimito, platanos,
naranjas, toronjas, grosellas, chicozapote, zapote, ciruelas, nance,
jonduras, capulín, etc.
Various soft drinks

Refresco de guanabana
Guava soft drink

Refresco de naranja agria
Bitter orange soft drink

Refresco de pitahaya

Silbache
?

Tanchuca
Boiled beverage made of anisette, corn and chocolate. Traditional in
Yucatan and Tabasco

Verdin
Green liquor

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 15, 11:06 am, "The Galloping Gourmand"
> wrote:
> El Sur: Especialidades de Tabasco
>
> Catalonians, who speak their own version
> of Spanish

No, they don't. They speak Catalan. Catalan is not a version of
Spanish.

It is a version of Latin, though, as are Spanish, French, Italian, and
other Romance languages. You can look it up.

King Carlos of Spain got big points from the Barcelonians when he
opened the Olympics in that city by making part of his speech in
Catalan. Good for him!

David

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 15, 11:06 am, "The Galloping Gourmand"
> wrote:
> El Sur: Especialidades de Tabasco

P.S. Would you mind telling us where you found this list?

David

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 15, 3:07?pm, "dtwright37" > wrote:

> P.S. Would you mind telling us where you found this list?

I didn't *find* this list as you see it. It's a conglomeration of
lists that have been posted over and over on many different websites.

Nobody "owns" the names of the dishes, nobody owns the names of the
ingredients involved, and nobody owns a list of Mexican states
arranged by region or geography.

My purpose is not to claim authorship, or glory, I'm not looking to
write a book or a PhD thesis.

I'm not looking for anything beyond stimulating discussion of
Tabasqueno cuisine in this group.

But the point that I have been trying to make is that one cannot
effectively discuss a subject if one does not know the terms used by
those familiar with that subject.

If you don't know what something is called, you cannot talk about it,
except in general and vague terms.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 15, 8:55 pm, "The Galloping Gourmand" >
wrote:
> On Mar 15, 3:07?pm, "dtwright37" > wrote:
>
> > P.S. Would you mind telling us where you found this list?

> I didn't *find* this list as you see it. It's a conglomeration of
> lists that have been posted over and over on many different websites.
>
> Nobody "owns" the names of the dishes, nobody owns the names of the
> ingredients involved, and nobody owns a list of Mexican states
> arranged by region or geography.
>
> My purpose is not to claim authorship, or glory, I'm not looking to
> write a book or a PhD thesis.

<etc.>

I was asking for information, not to challenge you. You seem to me to
be an interesting combination of victor and A1, but that's just me.

David

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"dtwright37" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Mar 15, 8:55 pm, "The Galloping Gourmand" >
> wrote:
> > On Mar 15, 3:07?pm, "dtwright37" > wrote:
> >
> > > P.S. Would you mind telling us where you found this list?

> > I didn't *find* this list as you see it. It's a conglomeration of
> > lists that have been posted over and over on many different websites.
> >
> > Nobody "owns" the names of the dishes, nobody owns the names of the
> > ingredients involved, and nobody owns a list of Mexican states
> > arranged by region or geography.
> >
> > My purpose is not to claim authorship, or glory, I'm not looking to
> > write a book or a PhD thesis.
> >

> <etc.>
>
> I was asking for information, not to challenge you. You seem to me to
> be an interesting combination of victor and A1, but that's just me.
>
> David

Wayne he
Galloping seems to be in a research mode and sharing his findings with us. I
look through his postings with great interest but rarely offer an
observation since it is impossible to define many of the ingredients in such
a way that they communicate the true taste of them. For example, a plantain
is one of the most common ingredients in tropical cuisine yet rarely
mentioned in recipes. Mostly referred to as 'banana'. And there are a dozen
well defined banana types in the tropics, from the small manzanillo to the
cooking plantain and everything in between. Only the plantain seems to be
available in the US and one must buy them weeks before used because they
must mature to near black before they are any good in a meal.

But this newsgroup seems to be evolving one way or another and I think in
the right direction in that more and more contributions are coming on line
and less and less acrimony and infighting.

thanks Galloping, Thanks David, thanks all...

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 15, 6:11?pm, "dtwright37" > wrote:

> You seem to me to
> be an interesting

You mean that it's your expressed perception that I am boring, either
because you don't have the same passion for sharing acquired
knowledge, or because you have no immediate need for the knowledge.(1)

> combination of victor and A1, but that's just me.

I am not a combination of any two "interesting" people who bored you
previously, I am an entirely different person, who is not so different
as to be completely alien.

But, what is boredom?

Boredom is a subjective state of mind that arises out of ignorance of
the bored person's material surroundings.

Suppose you take a drive out onto the prairie, all by yourself.

You look around and you can see grasses and flowers blowing in the
wind, and clouds moving across the sky and you can hear birds singing,
but you cannot name the birds.

Boredom arises out of a person's ignorance of his/her surroundings. A
person cannot relate to that which cannot be named. (2)

You're the only person there, and you can't stand to be alone, so you
jump into your car and you hurry back home so you can be around
people.

Then you can take refuge in the group's ethnocentric concensus of
"reality".

(1) Thanks to Google, any knowledge posted to Usenet will be available
for as long as the archives are saved in electronic storage.

(2) OTOH, the naming of a thing does not change its nature.
Naming the meadowlark does not change its song.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 15, 7:59?pm, "Wayne Lundberg" >
wrote:

> Galloping seems to be in a research mode and sharing his findings with us. I
> look through his postings with great interest but rarely offer an
> observation since it is impossible to define many of the ingredients in such
> a way that they communicate the true taste of them.

It's true that many of the items listed are generic and vague.

But anyone who now knows the *name* of a Tabasqueno dish can at least
begin websearching for recipes and learning the details of which
plantain to use.

When the European conquerors and settlers arrived in the New World,
they brought as much of the Old World with them as possible, but then
they quickly ran out of OW staples and spices and had to substitute NW
staples and spices and a mixed style of cooking evolved.

My own European ancestors had to quickly adapt to the Corn Culture of
North America, or starve.

In the same manner, Mexican migrants who arrived in the USA brought
some of their cooking ideas with them, but adapted to American cooking
and forgot the more complex recipes of their homeland.

Mexicans who arrived here from northern Mexico were usually
illiterate peasants who brought the poverty of Sonora and Chihuahua
with them, so items on the menu were limited to what could be cooked
with rice and beans and ground corn and chile peppers, with the
occasional cut of poor quality meat thrown into the stew pot.

As more and more Mexicans arrive here, the variety of available
Mexican food items offered in supermarkets increases, and, instead of
a shelf with Mexican foods on it, there are entire aisles dedicated to
Mexican foods and entire supermarkets are opened to serve that
community.

Nevertheless, some of the items on the "Especialidades de Tabasco"
list might not be found in a grocery store, one might have to go to a
pet shop to acquire the ingredients for guao, hicotea or pochitoque,
unless one lives in Florida and can gather them from the roadside.

But, that shouldn't bother Wayne, who recently made an appeal for
road-killed armadillo... ;-)

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 15, 6:11?pm, "dtwright37" > wrote:

Lengthy pseudo- intellectual tangent snipped for brevity>

> Then you can take refuge in the group's ethnocentric concensus (sic)of
> "reality".

Give up on being Moses leading us out of the Great Taco Desert already.

> (1) Thanks to Google, any knowledge posted to Usenet will be available
> for as long as the archives are saved in electronic storage.
>
> (2) OTOH, the naming of a thing does not change its nature.
> Naming the meadowlark does not change its song.

The other side of the coin in this quixotic quest of yours is :
1) The mistakes also will be around for a long time
2) Neither does attempting to redefine "Research"

Booger, the reason for listing sources is to provide a map for the reader to
follow if they are so inclined, a clue to what you looked at and where you
looked. It also provides for independent verification of facts,maybe
another interpretation or meaning , to fill in the gaps, perhaps you used
an outdated source or a new discovery was made since you last checked your
facts. etc. etc. blah, blah, You get the idea here I'm sure.

I do not believe in reinventing the wheel but the "cut and paste" of
someone else's work is not research, neither is it ethical. Regardless of
how much you intersperse it and change the order. It would have been so
much easier to cut and paste your sources as you "research" them than it
would have type up such lengthy defenses. I do not care the reason why. I
just want to see verifiable information, if you cannot say what your source
is or where you got it your information then it has to be treated as
suspect, pending verification. Which leads to the next point, verification.

This last "list" you presented has too many mistakes in "translating" these
dish names. It has some significant errors, much more than the usual number
expected. Again why researchers review sources. So the last critique here
is you need to concentrate on quality work, not quantity, go back and fix
your mistakes then move forward. We do not have to fix your mistakes nor
placate you while you are on your "mission". Do it right the first time and
perhaps learn something new about cooking and butchering along the way. I
would much rather read some original work of yours than some questionable
regurgitation from some travel webpages.

Some links that may be of interest in your area of research
http://www.e-local.gob.mx/work/templ...basco/cult.htm
http://www.csgastronomia.edu.mx:80/profesores/mbarrera/
http://mexico.udg.mx/cocina/
Karen Hursh Graber
http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/recipes/foodindex.html
Chef Arturo Herrera & Suzana Ramos
http://www.comidamexicana.hpg.ig.com.br/
http://nativecuisine.spaces.live.com/
Jeffery M. Pilcher, in ¡Qué viven los tamales!: Food and the making of
Mexican Identity
http://mexico.udg.mx/cocina/ingles/menu/frame.html
http://www.mexicanmercados.com/food/menuword.htm
http://lomexicano.com/mexicanfoodrecipeglossary.htm
Rolly's lexicon site http://rollybrook.com/lexicon.htm maybe big help
in translations to you and your could perhaps add to it.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 16, 10:52 am, "The Galloping Gourmand"
> wrote:
> On Mar 15, 6:11?pm, "dtwright37" > wrote:
>
> > You seem to me to
> > be an interesting

> You mean that it's your expressed perception that I am boring, either
> because you don't have the same passion for sharing acquired
> knowledge, or because you have no immediate need for the knowledge.(1)
>
> > combination of victor and A1, but that's just me.

> I am not a combination of any two "interesting" people who bored you
> previously, I am an entirely different person, who is not so different
> as to be completely alien.

I like people in this newsgroup, or any newsgroup, who discuss the
subject rather than be pedantic. Victor and A1 were pedantic, and I
think you are as well. That's why I wrote what I did. Simple as that.

David

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 18, 2:24?pm, "dtwright37" > wrote:

> I like people in this newsgroup, or any newsgroup, who discuss the
> subject rather than be pedantic.

I am not in this world to meet your expectations, and the subject of
Mexican cooking is wider ranging than the interests of some taco
benders and beer guzzlers who frequent the group.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in message
ups.com...
El Sur: Especialidades de Tabasco

The cuisine of Tabasco is mysterious because of the cultural collision
between Mayans, Mexicans, and Catalonians, who speak their own version
of Spanish

Got recipes?

Amashito (chile muy pequeno)
Very small chile

Chile Amash
A very small chile

Both chiles are most likely the Chiltepin, pequin and Tepin

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Capon (puerco castrado)
Castrated pig

It could be a pig but that is an antiquated usage for castration, today
times it usually means the Chicken, a Capon, rather than the pig which is
why the " research" needed to be listed so as to be verified. This is but
one example of substandard translation capabilities.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in message
ups.com...
El Sur: Especialidades de Tabasco

The cuisine of Tabasco is mysterious because of the cultural collision
between Mayans, Mexicans, and Catalonians, who speak their own version
of Spanish

Got recipes?

Carne salada con chaya (cactaceas)
Salted meat with Mayan chay leaves (cacti) (tree spinach)

Chaya is not really a cacti but a perennial, it is a tree spinach, a very
loose slip in translation

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Chinin (fruta comestible parecida al aguacate)
Avocado-like fruit

This would be interesting to see what he was talking about here, but alas,
another failure to cite sources.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Cuino (cerdo muy gordo)
Very fat pig

Actually the smallest of the regional pigs, so perhaps this is a literal
translation from Google?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Gallina en sangre
Skirt steak in blood

Is this a regional name for a dish perhaps?

Gallina is a Hen in several languages and was my first recognition that thi
"translation" list was more seriously flawed than any previous copied
lists.

Interesting to note it does not say Pollo, as in the meat. This translates
to "Hen in Blood". Where the Skirt Steak comes in,??? well, again we have no
clue because there is no reference list of where the poster got his "lists".

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Dulce de Huapaque
?
why post it if you have no clue?

I am glad you have such a quixotic quest Booger yet again we see the same
mistranslations, apathy, lack of subject knowledge as we have seen in your
other "research lists".

A Senator once said at a hearing; "You Sir, are entitled to use facts,
you are just not entitled to use your own version".

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 19, 3:07�pm, "Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote:
> Capon (puerco castrado)
> Castrated pig
>
> It could be a pig but that is an antiquated usage for castration, *today
> times it usually means the Chicken, a Capon

Got a Catalan to English dictionary? It might not be in there, either,
though. It's certainly a Tabasqueno usage, though.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 19, 3:09?pm, "Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote:

> Carne salada con chaya (cactaceas)
> Salted meat with Mayan chay leaves (cacti) (tree spinach)
>
> Chaya is not really a cacti but a perennial, it is a tree spinach, a very
> loose slip in translation

"Carne salada con chaya (cactaceas)" was the phrase I was translating,
don't blame me for what the first writer said, or might have meant.
The phase might have indicated "con chaya OR cactaceas" for all I
know.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 19, 3:11?pm, "Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote:
> Chinin (fruta comestible parecida al aguacate)
> Avocado-like fruit
>
> This would be interesting to see what he was talking about here, but alas,
> another failure to cite sources.

It's another Tabasqueno word that might come from Mayan or Catalan or
Ch'olte

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 19, 3:07?pm, "Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote:
> Capon (puerco castrado)
> Castrated pig
>
> It could be a pig but that is an antiquated usage for castration, today
> times it usually means the Chicken, a Capon

Got a Catalan to English dictionary? It might not be in there, either,
though. It's certainly a Tabasqueno usage, though.

Thus the reason to reference your sources.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Mar 19, 3:09?pm, "Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote:
>
>> Carne salada con chaya (cactaceas)
>> Salted meat with Mayan chay leaves (cacti) (tree spinach)
>>
>> Chaya is not really a cacti but a perennial, it is a tree spinach, a very
>> loose slip in translation

> "Carne salada con chaya (cactaceas)" was the phrase I was translating,
> don't blame me for what the first writer said, or might have meant.
> The phase might have indicated "con chaya OR cactaceas" for all I
> know.

Again the reason why you reference sources, so the reader can verify.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 19, 4:12?pm, "Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote:
> Dulce de Huapaque
> ?
> why post it if you have no clue?

It could also be "Dulce de Guapaque". I listed it because *somebody*
might have heard of it.

> I am glad you have such a quixotic quest Booger yet again we see the same
> mistranslations, apathy, lack of subject knowledge as we have seen in your
> other "research lists".

I never claimed to know *everything* about Mexico, the gastronomy, the
language, the culture, or the customs. One person cannot know
*everything* or this would be a small universe, indeed.

However, I hoped to show that there was an entire galaxy of menu items
beyond the greasy antojitos that some here seem to believe is the
essence of Mexican cooking.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 19, 3:46�pm, "Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote:
> "Gallina en sangre
> Skirt steak in blood
>
> Is this a regional name for a dish perhaps?
>
> Gallina is a Hen *in several languages and was my first recognition that thi
> "translation" list was *more seriously flawed than any previous copied
> lists.

I'll bet you think that "Sopa de Gato" is made out of alley cats, too.

What is "Gallina Pinta"? Do you think that's chicken?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 19, 3:11?pm, "Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote:
>> Chinin (fruta comestible parecida al aguacate)
>> Avocado-like fruit
>>
>> This would be interesting to see what he was talking about here, but
>> alas,
>> another failure to cite sources.

> It's another Tabasqueno word that might come from Mayan or Catalan or
> Ch'olte

That is a safe bet as to where it comes from, yet what did your research
source tell you it was? How is it eaten, prepared, gathered located,
coast, jungle, plains, mountains? perhaps you have a recipe for this "dish"
you cite?.

Do you have any clue as to what it is from your extensive research ?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 19, 3:46?pm, "Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote:
> "Gallina en sangre
> Skirt steak in blood
>
> Is this a regional name for a dish perhaps?
>
> Gallina is a Hen in several languages and was my first recognition that
> thi
> "translation" list was more seriously flawed than any previous copied
> lists.

I'll bet you think that "Sopa de Gato" is made out of alley cats, too.

No, nor do I think that Sonoran foods is Poor folk food or that Tacos are
evil.

What is "Gallina Pinta"? Do you think that's chicken?

So you are telling me you cannot answer the question by trying to change
directions and subterfuge?

You really do not know what the dish is do you?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

> I never claimed to know *everything* about Mexico, the gastronomy, the
> language, the culture, or the customs. One person cannot know
> *everything* or this would be a small universe, indeed.

Then speak from what you do know and stop showing us you do not.

> However, I hoped to show that there was an entire galaxy of menu items
> beyond the greasy antojitos that some here seem to believe is the
> essence of Mexican cooking.

When you claim this NG is about "greasy antojitos", "Taco Benders" and "Beer
Guzzlers" you do realize you are the only one lambasting them on a constant
basis.

If you really wanted to show there is more to Mexican Foods then you would
have given recipes and proper translations for the titles of these regional
dishes,. many of which are a local rendition of the very foods you
decry. Your VOM and Gulf Coast meals of Beef, Chicken or Pork wrapped in a
tortilla are different for the Norteno tacos, enchiladas, and tamales how?

Take the time to tell the stories behind the names, tell me the other
ingredients, please do not just regurgitate someone else's list of regional
dishes that you have no clue as to their meaning. Tell me why or how
Tabasqueno's Shrimp Empanada is different than say one from Guayamas? I
disagree with Wayne's 3/15 post
when he says "I ... rarely offer an observation since it is impossible to
define many of the ingredients in such a way that they communicate the true
taste of them". I offer that is exactly why you must talk about them, Tell
me what it is I would taste if I had this meal, if you cannot do that tell
me the recipe and ingredients so I can taste it in my mind or attempt to
make it in my kitchen. (That's why I want recipes) Now, granted Armadillo
and Iguana will not be on my menu anytime soon and yes, I have eaten them
both & on more than one occasion.

On a more personal level, I still have hopes for you, I will say you do
have grit. Hopefully you will learn cooking or at least develop some
serious research skills. I hold no such hope you will ever overcome this
prejudice, nor the ignorance about Norteno food.

So please give up the self righteous indignation and the pseudo-intellectual
"po me" act, and honestly, the class warrior crap has to go also. If you
must continue, you should can go find the "White is right" game show
elsewhere.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 20, 9:45�am, "Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote:

> When you claim this NG is about "greasy antojitos", "Taco Benders" and "Beer
> Guzzlers" you do realize you are the only one lambasting them on a constant
> basis.

Of course. Taco benders and beer guzzlers are too ignorant to know
there's anything beyond the Great Taco Swamp.

> If you really wanted to show there is more to Mexican Foods *then you would
> have given recipes and proper translations for the titles of these regional
> dishes,. *many of which are a local rendition of *the very foods you
> decry.

My lists are not regional cookbooks, they're surveys of the cooking
and beverages of the states in the various regions.�

> Your VOM and Gulf Coast meals of *Beef, Chicken or Pork wrapped in a
> tortilla are different *for the Norteno tacos, enchiladas, and tamales *how?

Did I say they were different? I listed them because they were typical
dishes of the state I was surveying.

> Take the time to tell the stories behind the names, tell me the other
> ingredients, please do not just regurgitate someone else's list of regional
> dishes that you have no clue as to their meaning.

Who are you to insist on how a survey of regional dishes should be
made? Where's *your* survey?

> Tell me why or how
> Tabasqueno's *Shrimp Empanada is different than say one from Guayamas?

Maybe they aren't different at all, who knows, if the recipe isn't
forthcoming due to the group's lack of interest in anything except
greasy tacos, what kind of leaves to wrap tamales in, or whether there
should be cumen in chili.

> disagree with Wayne's 3/15 post
> when he says "I ... *rarely offer an observation since it is impossible to
> define many of the ingredients in such a way that they communicate the true
> taste of them". * I offer that is exactly why you must talk about them, Tell
> me what it is I would taste if I had this meal, if you cannot do that tell
> me the recipe and ingredients so I can taste it in my mind or attempt to
> make it in my kitchen. (That's why *I want recipes)

Read each survey, and you will find the question, "Got recipes?" The
survey is a request for assistance, it's not an authoritative and
exhaustive cookbook.

> On a more personal level, *I still have hopes for you, I will say you do
> have grit.

You do not the faintest idea of how much "grit" I have.

> Hopefully *you will learn cooking or at least develop some
> serious research skills. *I hold no such hope you will ever overcome this
> prejudice, nor the ignorance about Norteno food.

I posted my regional surveys of El Norte. Where are your positive
corrections that prove that Norteno cooking is anything but peasant
food?

> So please give up the self righteous indignation and the pseudo-intellectual
> "po me" act, and honestly, the class warrior crap has to go also. *If you
> must continue, * you should can go find the "White is right" *game show
> elsewhere.

I didn't set up the Spanish colonial caste and class system that made
third and fourth class citizens out of Mexicans, don't blame me for
their poverty and poor diet.