Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default El Norte: Especialidades de Chihuahua

El Norte: Especialidades de Chihuahua

Got recipes?

Caldillo de carne seca (caldo de res con papas)
Broth of dried beef with potatos

Chicharron chihuahueno (con zanahoria, papa y crema)
Chihuahua style pork cracklings with carrot, potatoes and cream

Empanadas de Santa Rita (picadillo de res con pasas y vino tinto)
Turnovers filled with spicy beef, slightly cooked chiles and red wine

Gorditas de cuajada (leche fresca, leche agria, pastilla de cuajo)
Curd gorditas (fresh milk, sour milk, curd paste)

Machaca con huevo
Shredded dried meat with egg

Nopales con huevo
Cactus fruit with egg

Pollo en salsa de cacahuate y nuez
Chicken in peanut and walnut sauce

Puerco en caldillo (chile ancho y chorizo)
Pork sausage and ancho chile in broth

Sihuamonte (conejo en salsa de chile ancho y epazote)
Rabbit in an ancho chile and epazote sauce

Postres:

Barritas de nuez y datil
Walnut and date bars

Manzanas empastadas
Apples with some kind of filling

Semitas
Jewish-style bread or pastry

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

The Galloping Gourmand wrote:
> El Norte: Especialidades de Chihuahua
>
> Got recipes?
>
> Caldillo de carne seca (caldo de res con papas)
> Broth of dried beef with potatos

Carne Seca is all the rage here. Tucson prides itself on the decayed
meat served in a majority of restaurants here. I think I like the
machine dried meat rather than the homemade sun dried version. If you
are a vulture you would prefer the sun dried version.

GG, I hope you don't hold that comment about your mother against me, it
was all in fun. I come to you now with a mission. I am making a grocery
run later this afternoon. I have been feeling a hankerin for some
chayote. Looks like a giant hard green fig and I usually just mash and
serve with butter and lime salt. They also have a run on fresh nopalitos
this week and have a fillet station set up in the store. Inspire me with
a good recipe for either of these fruits I'll work off it and let you
know how it comes out.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Thank you FB

El Norte: Especialidades..., "The Galloping Gourmand"
posted

These are very good, It is nice that you are providing title translations of
some regional dishes, this is so much better than disparaging the
Mexicans, please don't lead up to that class warrior thing again.

Are you looking for recipes for these dishes you list here?
http://www.csgastronomia.edu.mx/prof...RIAL/norte.htm

A small note here, in your Coahuila post, the Chiles Pasados is a specific
Chile, looks like this http://chefshop.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=4548&eq=&Tp=
and made into a many dishes such as the Tacos that didn't get posted and
also with a dried beef so the basic dish is a rehydrated.meat and chile
Western History has the Spanish bringing Chiles north but they is evidence
were regionally grown long before the Spanish came to the New World and long
before Texas came to know the chile. There is a legend in which the Hopi
claim they have made mutton and chile (Chili?), in one form or the other,
since the early 1600. Prior to the sheep the Spanish introduced to the
indigenous Puebla , This dish was made with chiles and venison and perhaps
thickened with a little corn. It is a more likely theory that the Canary
Islanders put their culinary twists in a variation of this dish (Cumin and
Coriander seed) that made its way East to them, then passed along the
lines to the chile queens rather than Texans made it up and it traveled
west along the cattle trails. Cattle didn't move west, it moved North
and/or East to feed the population adn soldiers in the Forts or Presidos.
But that is my version, it is not a good tall Texas Tale like Pecos Bill,
but do remind me to tell you about my great Uncle Olaf and his old gray
mule called Red. He was last seen working his way throught West Texas to
the White Sands National Forest. Story has it he taught Paul Bunyon
everything he knew.