Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default El Norte: Especialidades de Tamaulipas

El Norte: Especialidades de Tamaulipas

Got recipes?

Asado de cerdo
Roast pork

Bocoles
Tortillas with a bit of color, depending on the bean used to color the
masa.

Ingredientes: Frijoles cocidos. Manteca de cerdo Maza de maiz. Sal al
gusto.
Se mezcla la masa de maiz con la manteca, los frijoles y la sal, se
agrega un poco del caldo de los frijoles para dar color a la masa. Se
hacen tortitas con esta masa y se cocen en un comal, se sirven en en
platitos acompanolas con una salsa de chile seco.

Calabacitas rellenas
Stuffed squash

Calamares
Squid

Calamares en vino
Squid in wine

Camarones rancheros
Ranch style shrimp

Carne seca
Dried meat

Chorizo con masa
Sausage with masa

Conejo al guajillo
Rabbit in guajillo sauce

Frijoles charros
Cowboy beans

Huatape de camaron ((guisado de camaron seco, masa y tomate verde)
Shrimp stewed with green tomatoes, garlic, pasilla chile and masa

Jaiba rellena
Stuffed crab

Langostinos con verduras
Langostinos with greens

Masita tamaulipeca
Pork tamale in casserole

Mixiotes de pollo y cerdo
Chicken and pork wrapped in a banana leaf and grilled

Mole de olla con lentejas
Mole in a pot with lentils

Ostiones al horno
Baked oysters

Pastel de jaiba
Crab cake

Platano macho
Fried plantain

Sopa de jaiba
Crab soup

Tamal de cazuela
Tamale casserole

Tamales de calabaza con camaron
Pumpkin tamales with shrimp

Tamales de puerco
Pork tamales

Tampiquena
Flank steak

Postres:
Pastries:

Gorditas de horno
Baked gorditas

Tamales de calabaza dulce
Sweet pumpkin tamales

Bebidas:
Drinks:

Atole

Mezcal de maguey

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> El Norte: Especialidades de Tamaulipas
>
> Got recipes?

Again are you asking us to provide them or are you going to? You
definitely provided a better translation than Google does and it was very
much appreciated.

But now please tell us how to make these regional dishes. Translating just
the title
leaves a lot to be desired. I would like to know what cut of meat was used
and if there really is a
difference (as well as how and why) in say the Asado de puerco, Asado de
cerdo,
Asado de chile colorado, or Asado de boda in the different in regions or
States. How was the crab soup made, Tamaulipas stuff crab is different than
NE Style crab how?
etc, etc. Go down this list and you can see what I am talking about. This
is where your linguistic skills would best come to play. most of these
recipes are buried in Spanish sites and easily overlooked, there is usually
only a ingredient, a technique or a story that differentiates this dish from
another region's dish.

I did notice a real discrepancy in the assumption that El Norte foods were
all about beef, flour tortillas, hot chiles and cumin. What makes these
Norte regional dishes different than those SOTC?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 8, 3:00�pm, "Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote:

> Again are you asking us to provide them or are you going to? You
> definitely provided a better translation than Google does and it was very
> much appreciated.

Gathering information about the intangible human heritage of Mexican
gastronomy is a labor for many minds, not just one.

By typing, "Got recipes?" I invite anybody who has a recipe or an
experience or an explanation to come forward and share their knowledge
with everybody,
all they have to do is pick any recipe and research it.

> But now please tell us how to make these regional dishes. Translating just
> the title
> leaves a lot to be desired.

Posting lists of specialties from half a dozen northern states is just
a beginning.

"Whereof a man cannot speak, he must remain silent," stated Ludwig
Wittgenstein.

The reverse is also true. Whereof a man can speak, he can study and
expound upon.

If you know the name of anything, at least you have a limited handle
upon it.

The more unique the name, the easier it is to google up information,
if it exists at all.

> I would like to know *what cut of meat was used
> and if there really is a
> difference (as well as how and why) *in say the Asado de puerco, *Asado de
> cerdo,
> Asado de chile colorado, or *Asado de boda in the different in regions or
> States. How was the crab soup made, Tamaulipas stuff crab is different than
> NE Style crab how?
> etc, etc.

Well, I would like to know as much about all those things too, but I
can only perform the research necessary to get a basic idea of what a
given dish is all about one at a time, and it might take all day to
find out that it's the same dish called by a different name somewhere
else.

And, what's new and exciting to me, may be "old hat" to somebody else
who can remember enjoying the particular dish all their life.

> Go down this list and you can see what I am talking about. * *This
> is where your linguistic skills would best come to play. most of these
> recipes are buried in Spanish sites and easily overlooked, there is usually
> only a ingredient, a technique or a story that differentiates this dish from
> another region's dish.

Possibly true.

> I did notice a real discrepancy in the assumption that El Norte foods were
> all about beef, flour tortillas, hot chiles and cumin. *What makes these
> Norte regional dishes different than those SOTC?

Use of beef in preference to pork because pigs get sunburned in the
desert and need shelter? Less use of chocolate? Fruits and vegetables
that grow in the south are less available? Strange sounding names from
indigenous tribes? Dishes from remote areas that were cut off from the
rest of colonial Mexico by mountains?

The only way to tell is to actually cover the indicated material. I
still have lists
of specialties from 23 other regions. There may be another 200 unique
dishes, but, who knows?