Old 21-11-2011, 09:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes,rec.food.drink

Default How to make fruit smoothy without it solidifying later in the fridge?

Is there some ingredient that can be added to a fruit smoothy that will
prevent it from solidifying or turning into a gelled mass when its kept
in the fridge?

Or is there a recipe somewhere for smoothies that don't turn semi-solid
after being kept for a few days in the fridge?

Old 21-11-2011, 09:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes,rec.food.drink

On Nov 21, 4:12*pm, Sum Guy wrote:
Is there some ingredient that can be added to a fruit smoothy that will
prevent it from solidifying or turning into a gelled mass when its kept
in the fridge?

Or is there a recipe somewhere for smoothies that don't turn semi-solid
after being kept for a few days in the fridge?

Mine didn't turn to a gelled mass - the ingredients simply separated
but I could stir and still enjoy. That said, I usually just make it
up and drink it immediately. Some days it's my lunch!!

My fave concoction is milk, plain yogurt, banana, papaya,
strawberries, dash of cocoa powder, maybe even a tsp. of peanut
butter, sometimes lecithin granules ( I bought a huge vat of the stuff
and am bound to use it.)
Old 21-11-2011, 11:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes,rec.food.drink

On Nov 21, 1:16*pm, Kalmia wrote:
On Nov 21, 4:12*pm, Sum Guy wrote:

Is there some ingredient that can be added to a fruit smoothy that will
prevent it from solidifying or turning into a gelled mass when its kept
in the fridge?

Or is there a recipe somewhere for smoothies that don't turn semi-solid
after being kept for a few days in the fridge?

Mine didn't turn to a gelled mass - the ingredients simply separated
but I could stir and still enjoy. *That said, I usually just make it
up and drink it immediately. *Some days it's my lunch!!

My fave concoction is milk, plain yogurt, banana, papaya,
strawberries, dash of cocoa powder, *maybe even a tsp. of peanut
butter, sometimes lecithin granules ( I bought a huge vat of the stuff
and am bound to use it.)

Try adding a couple of tablespoons of wheat germ to it- you'll never
know it's there. My oldest son is having jaw surgery on the first, and
will be staying at our house for the first few days after the
procedure. Even though his jaw shouldn't have to be wired, he will be
on a liquid diet. I am prepared for lots of smoothies, plus all the
cream of whatever soups he can handle!
Old 22-11-2011, 12:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes,rec.food.drink

On Nov 21, 1:21*pm, Andy wrote:
Sum Guy wrote:
Is there some ingredient that can be added to a fruit smoothy that will
prevent it from solidifying or turning into a gelled mass when its kept
in the fridge?

Or is there a recipe somewhere for smoothies that don't turn semi-solid
after being kept for a few days in the fridge?

There is an edible antifreeze. Used in Italian ices, in and around Philly
anyway. It's not what's used in cars.

http://www.popsci.com/scitech/articl...ble-antifreeze

I don't know if it's available to the public, or only wholesale supplied
to retailers in the biz.

I mentioned this about 10 years ago without ammunition to back up the
claim and got near flamed to death.

Andy

What'd ya expect?
Old 22-11-2011, 12:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes,rec.food.drink

On Nov 21, 3:57*pm, merryb wrote:
On Nov 21, 1:16*pm, Kalmia wrote:

On Nov 21, 4:12*pm, Sum Guy wrote:

[...]

Make sure he's close to a bed pan or the bathroom.

Old 22-11-2011, 12:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes,rec.food.drink

On Nov 21, 4:04*pm, Chemo the Clown wrote:
On Nov 21, 3:57*pm, merryb wrote:

On Nov 21, 1:16*pm, Kalmia wrote:

On Nov 21, 4:12*pm, Sum Guy wrote:

[...]

Good thinking! If you have any ideas for other liquidy things, I'm all
ears...
Old 22-11-2011, 06:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes,rec.food.drink

On Nov 22, 12:52*am, Janet wrote:
In article 61a60708-73ec-4b0c-a78e-
, says...

On Nov 21, 1:16*pm, Kalmia wrote:
On Nov 21, 4:12*pm, Sum Guy wrote:

Is there some ingredient that can be added to a fruit smoothy that will
prevent it from solidifying or turning into a gelled mass when its kept
in the fridge?

Or is there a recipe somewhere for smoothies that don't turn semi-solid
after being kept for a few days in the fridge?

Mine didn't turn to a gelled mass - the ingredients simply separated
but I could stir and still enjoy. *That said, I usually just make it
up and drink it immediately. *Some days it's my lunch!!

My fave concoction is milk, plain yogurt, banana, papaya,
strawberries, dash of cocoa powder, *maybe even a tsp. of peanut
butter, sometimes lecithin granules ( I bought a huge vat of the stuff
and am bound to use it.)

Try adding a couple of tablespoons of wheat germ to it- you'll never
know it's there.

* *I add raw porridge oats (the rolled sort)

*My oldest son is having jaw surgery on the first, and

will be staying at our house for the first few days after the
procedure. Even though his jaw shouldn't have to be wired, he will be
on a liquid diet. I am prepared for lots of smoothies, plus all the
cream of whatever soups he can handle!

* Mashed banana with yoghurt, stewed apple, mashed potatoes and gravy....

* Janet

Potatoes and gravy would go over well- good idea!
Old 16-05-2012, 07:32 AM
Senior Member

Location: New York

I find that they tend to separate and then oxidize/change color. So, I don't leave them more than an hour.