Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default solidifying oil

coconut oil solidifies at around 74 or so degrees or lower

is there any thing i could add to get it to solidify at a higher
temperature (still solid at 80 degrees or so)

(looking for someone who knows a bit about the chemistry of oils)

(maybe whipping would do it, just thought of that... will try, but i'm
posting anyway)

- erik

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Erik 2.0" > schreef in bericht
ups.com...
> coconut oil solidifies at around 74 or so degrees or lower
>
> is there any thing i could add to get it to solidify at a higher
> temperature (still solid at 80 degrees or so)
>
> (looking for someone who knows a bit about the chemistry of oils)
>
> (maybe whipping would do it, just thought of that... will try, but i'm
> posting anyway)
>
> - erik

Whipping it wouldn't do the job

The only way I can think of is possibly some kind of chemical treatment,
whic would alter the molecules. Not a practical idea for home use.

Why do you want to change your cocount oil? And would you consider using a
different ype of oil instead?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Erik 2.0" wrote:

> coconut oil solidifies at around 74 or so degrees or lower
>
> is there any thing i could add to get it to solidify at a higher
> temperature (still solid at 80 degrees or so)

I think so. You can solidify it part way, and decant
off the liquid part. Then, remelt the whole thing and
repeat several times, and you'll get a higher-melting
point oil. This is the opposite of "winterizing"
an oil, in which the liquid part is repeatedly cooled
and separated from the solids that freeze out.

Natural oils contain a mixture of different fats
that freeze at different temperatures. This process
separates the different types of fats. The separation
is not 100% efficient, so it must be repeated to get
good efficiency. Note that both parts from each
separation should be retreated, because some of the
higher-melting point fats will end up in the liquid
part and vice versa. So, an attempt should be made
to freeze out more fats from the decanted liquid
(for example, by going to a lower temperature).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Erik 2.0 wrote:

> coconut oil solidifies at around 74 or so degrees or lower
>
> is there any thing i could add to get it to solidify at a higher
> temperature (still solid at 80 degrees or so)

You're using the wrong type of coconut oil.

There are several types of coconut oil commercially
available, each having different melting points.

Low - 80 F
High - 92 F

You want the latter, available here and elsewhere

http://www.saratogascents.com/coconut_oil.html

--
Reg