Old 09-12-2003, 01:14 AM
Dave Smith

Default Wild Turkey 101-proof Rye

anon wrote:

I think there's plenty of cheap and good alcohol besides Captain Morgan,
but YMMV, though I do agree some cheap alcohol is guaranteed to give you a
shitty buzz and/or hangover, which would include pretty much all the
Canadian whiskeys in my case.

There is something about that rye whisky. It is great mixed with sweet
vermouth for a Manhattan, but that is the only way I can drink that kind of
whiskey. And I never, never, never drink rye before or after a beer. It is a
guaranteed head ache for me.

Old 09-12-2003, 02:03 AM
Denise~*

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 13:14:44 -0600, John Gaughan
wrote:

First of all, cheap alcohol, for the most part, is cheap because it
sucks.

That was my point with the slash smily :-/

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

How much Healthy Choice ice cream can I eat before it's no longer a healthy choice?
Old 09-12-2003, 03:15 PM

In rec.food.cooking Rick & Cyndi wrote:

Now, even though I know they're different, my comment to people
trying M.M. for the first time is: If you *like* Jack Daniel's,
you'll *love* Maker's Mark. To me, YMMV, M.M. is a lot smoother
than both Jack D. and Wild Turkey.

Yep. Not much of a comparison, even.

Wild Turkey is in the same category as Jim Beam. For cheap Bourbon, I
think George Dickel has got them both beat.

Makers Mark is fine, but not really anything special. It is a good, well
made midline Bourbon. The real advangtage is that it is widely
distributed, so even when a bar or restaurant has no good bourbons, they
often have Makers Mark, which is plenty good enough.

My favorite these days is Woodford's Reserve. It is reasonably priced,
smooth, and tasty.

Jim Beam's fancy bottled stuff, like Booker's, has never impressed me.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
Old 09-12-2003, 03:20 PM

In rec.food.cooking Tim Vanhoof wrote:
Blair P. Houghton wrote:

It's a lot
like Irish whiskeys (which are mostly rye-based, natch).

No they're not.

Which grain is used traditionally in Ireland?

My wife went to school with some Irish guys. We were once at a party at
their apartment and one of them asked me if I liked whisey. He took me
aside and gave me a belt of some delicious aged Irish Whiskey. I don't
know what brand, but it was great.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
Old 10-12-2003, 12:56 PM
Jack Schidt®

Default Car Bomb ( Wild Turkey 101-proof Rye)

"John Gaughan" wrote in message
Blair P. Houghton wrote:
Vile. But I have a bottle for use in irish car bombs.

Speaking of vile, I can't think of a more reprehensible name for
anything than "Car Bomb".

Oh but they are so good. And about five minutes after you are done, it
hits you like its namesake.

Around here, its unofficial nickname is 'DWI in a glass'. It's a drink for
guys who want to make a short night of it.

Jack Bender

Old 11-12-2003, 03:51 AM
William Klein

You mention Jim Beam, but not the classic Old Overholt? Fine
straight, but the best Manhattan you can make is Old Overholt, sweet
vermouth and Anagostura (sp?) bitters.

For bourbon, Makers Mark, Booker's and Old Rip Van Winkle (tougher to
find, but worth it).

-- wdk

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 03:02:34 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

The universe finally conspired to place me, $23, and a
bottle of Wild Turkey 101-proof Rye in the same store.

Got it home, uncorked it, dropped in an ice cube, swirled
for a bit (have to get that alcohol content down below 35%,
ya know), and baby, this is the shiznit. For Ryes.

I like rye. It's the original American whiskey. It's a lot
like Irish whiskeys (which are mostly rye-based, natch). It
won't supplant your nicer bourbons or scotches, but it fits a
middle ground between sweetness and peatiness that sometimes
comprises exactly what you want.

I've been drinking Jim Beam rye for over a decade, and
sometimes it takes a steely resolve. I liken its bouquet
to that of a working automotive garage.

But this Wild Turkey is gorgeous.

--Blair
"Don't go demand-pressuring the
price up on me, now."

Old 11-12-2003, 07:06 AM
Blair P. Houghton

William Klein wrote:
You mention Jim Beam, but not the classic Old Overholt? Fine

Never had Old Overholt. Never even seen it on a shelf.

Rye is really off thet booze-business's radar any more,
and it's a damn shame.

straight, but the best Manhattan you can make is Old Overholt, sweet
vermouth and Anagostura (sp?) bitters.

I should get a bottle of bitters and try some Manhattans with
this WT101R.

For bourbon, Makers Mark, Booker's and Old Rip Van Winkle (tougher to
find, but worth it).

I've heard about ORVW, and believe it's very highly rated.

--Blair
"Just the facts, ma'an."
Old 11-12-2003, 07:24 AM
Blair P. Houghton

wrote:
Wild Turkey is in the same category as Jim Beam.

Whoa. You musta got a bottle someone spit in. WT is way
better than Beam.

For cheap Bourbon, I
think George Dickel has got them both beat.

Just so everyone's clear, Beam is a Bourbon, but Dickel's
and Jack Daniels' are both Tennessee whiskeys.

The difference is that Tennessee whiskey has an extra
filtering step and less regulation.

--Blair
"It'll come up again."

Old 11-12-2003, 02:27 PM
[email protected]

In rec.food.cooking Blair P. Houghton wrote:

Whoa. You musta got a bottle someone spit in. WT is way
better than Beam.

Like I said in another article, I'll give it aother shot.

For cheap Bourbon, I
think George Dickel has got them both beat.

Just so everyone's clear, Beam is a Bourbon, but Dickel's
and Jack Daniels' are both Tennessee whiskeys.

Correct.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

A real wild turkey Beach Runner Vegan 29 04-12-2005 08:03 PM
Wild Rice and Turkey Soup [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 09-11-2005 06:35 AM
Wild Turkey 101 vs. Wild Turkey Rye [email protected] General 0 22-02-2005 03:13 AM
skinned wild turkey breast Some Mike Barbecue 8 19-04-2004 01:15 AM
Wild Turkey 101-proof Rye Blair P. Houghton General Cooking 79 11-12-2003 02:27 PM