Some Mike

Default skinned wild turkey breast

Hello all,

I've been asked to smoke a skinned wild turkey breast tomorrow. I've
successfully smoked domestic turkeys with their skin intact, but I'm puzzled
how to handle this one. Should I cover it in foil, or bacon, then go about
250 F, or cook it hotter like in an oven? I will be using a modified ECB.
It will be brined 24 hours as well.

Thanks
Mike

---

Stan (the Man)

Some Mike wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've been asked to smoke a skinned wild turkey breast tomorrow. I've
> successfully smoked domestic turkeys with their skin intact, but I'm puzzled
> how to handle this one. Should I cover it in foil, or bacon, then go about
> 250 F, or cook it hotter like in an oven? I will be using a modified ECB.
> It will be brined 24 hours as well.
>

> Thanks
> Mike

Wild turkey has even less fat content than domestic turkey. It's my
guess that no matter what you cover it with, it's going to come out dry
if you slow-cook it. I would cook it at higher temps (350 or so) to
about 160-165 degrees, internal.

--
Stan

BOB

Stan (the Man) wrote:
> Some Mike wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I've been asked to smoke a skinned wild turkey breast tomorrow. I've
>> successfully smoked domestic turkeys with their skin intact, but I'm puzzled
>> how to handle this one. Should I cover it in foil, or bacon, then go about
>> 250 F, or cook it hotter like in an oven? I will be using a modified ECB.
>> It will be brined 24 hours as well.
>>

>> Thanks
>> Mike

> Wild turkey has even less fat content than domestic turkey. It's my
> guess that no matter what you cover it with, it's going to come out dry
> if you slow-cook it. I would cook it at higher temps (350 or so) to
> about 160-165 degrees, internal.
>
> --
> Stan

Adding to what Stan wrote, if you cover it, that will keep the smoke from
reaching the meat. Just grill it at the higher temps. Depending on the
thickness, I might go even higher than 350 for a thicker breast.

BOB

Charles Demas

In article >,
Stan (the Man) > wrote:
>Some Mike wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I've been asked to smoke a skinned wild turkey breast tomorrow. I've
>> successfully smoked domestic turkeys with their skin intact, but I'm puzzled
>> how to handle this one. Should I cover it in foil, or bacon, then go about
>> 250 F, or cook it hotter like in an oven? I will be using a modified ECB.
>> It will be brined 24 hours as well.
>>

>> Thanks
>> Mike

>Wild turkey has even less fat content than domestic turkey. It's my
>guess that no matter what you cover it with, it's going to come out dry
>if you slow-cook it. I would cook it at higher temps (350 or so) to
>about 160-165 degrees, internal.

Somewhat less of an internal temperature. The turkey will
go up 5-10 degrees in temperature while it rests after taking
it out of the cooker.

This was mentioned on Emerile Live on the Food network.

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd
Steve Wertz

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 19:39:04 +0000 (UTC),
(Charles Demas) wrote:

>This was mentioned on Emerile Live on the Food network.

Mentioning Emeril in here is almost as bad as mentioning Bobby
Flay or liquid sm*ke.

-sw

Charles Demas

In article >,
Kevin S. Wilson > wrote:
>On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 19:39:04 +0000 (UTC), (Charles
>Demas) wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>>Stan (the Man) > wrote:

>>>Wild turkey has even less fat content than domestic turkey. It's my
>>>guess that no matter what you cover it with, it's going to come out dry
>>>if you slow-cook it. I would cook it at higher temps (350 or so) to
>>>about 160-165 degrees, internal.

>>Somewhat less of an internal temperature. The turkey will
>>go up 5-10 degrees in temperature while it rests after taking
>>it out of the cooker.
>>

>I pull unbrined domestic breast off the Kamado when they hit 161
>internal. Juicy, moist, and flavorful.

Perhaps there's less temperature rise if you're cooking low
and slow, rather than at 350-400 degrees F, but with large
beef roasts, cooked at relatively low temperatures, there was an
internal temperature rise or 5-10 degrees while resting.

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
Die Anyway | v | That no one could find fault with it.
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd
Kevin S. Wilson

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 20:24:49 +0000 (UTC), (Charles
Demas) wrote:

>In article >,
>Kevin S. Wilson > wrote:
>>On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 19:39:04 +0000 (UTC),
(Charles
>>Demas) wrote:

>>>Somewhat less of an internal temperature. The turkey will
>>>go up 5-10 degrees in temperature while it rests after taking
>>>it out of the cooker.
>>>

>>I pull unbrined domestic breast off the Kamado when they hit 161
>>internal. Juicy, moist, and flavorful.

>Perhaps there's less temperature rise if you're cooking low
>and slow, rather than at 350-400 degrees F, but with large
>beef roasts, cooked at relatively low temperatures, there was an
>internal temperature rise or 5-10 degrees while resting.

Agreed. My point was more along the lines of pulling it off the grill
at 161, and no higher. It most likely does continue to rise in temp as
it rests; I've never checked.

I'll let you know. I'm just now putting an 8-lb turkey breast on the
K5.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a university somewhere in Idaho
Some Mike

Default skinned wild turkey breast RESULTS

> I've been asked to smoke a skinned wild turkey breast tomorrow. I've
> successfully smoked domestic turkeys with their skin intact, but I'm

puzzled
> how to handle this one. Should I cover it in foil, or bacon, then go

about
> 250 F, or cook it hotter like in an oven? I will be using a modified

ECB.
> It will be brined 24 hours as well.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I couldn't get the temp up to 350, so I skipped
the water tray. Temp was probably around 250 tops. I covered them in
bacon, with salt, pepper, and olive oil. The first bird on the lower rack
got to 171. A bit dry, but excellent. Our guests actually liked the dryer,
smokier ends.
Thanks again
Mike

---

turkey breast? Grant Erwin Barbecue 3 28-02-2009 09:25 AM
Turkey breast Nancy Young General Cooking 23 05-06-2006 09:15 PM
Turkey Breast Peter Newman Barbecue 13 02-12-2004 02:30 AM
Turkey breast (again) Peter Barbecue 16 29-11-2004 04:14 AM
Roast Chicken Breast, Wild Mushroom Risotto, Black Truffles terrymcintire Recipes 0 23-10-2004 03:27 PM