Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chinese Food Delivery

This actually happened to me last month but I've not remembered to post it
until now. Some time earlier in the summer a menu for a Chinese restaurant
was stuck in my mailbox (Hunan Palace on Germantown Parkway in Cordova, TN,
in case anyone here can reference that). On the menu was the notation: We
Deliver! and a sticker with a phone number.

Around here, pretty much the only thing you can get delivered is crappy
pizza, or if you live in a specific geographic area, sandwiches from Jason's
Deli. Occasionally, not often, I get a craving for Chinese food. I usually
drive down the road and get take-out from a restaurant which is a
hole-in-the-wall but appears to be spic-n-span clean (and has an A rating on
the posted - not expired! - certificate from the Dept. of Health).

One night last month I got the craving and didn't feel like driving so I
decided okay, I'll try this place. I picked out the items on the menu I
wanted and then placed the call.

Apparently they had hired a delivery service; they weren't doing the actual
delivery themselves. I got a recorded message which said (paraphrased), "We
no longer deliver for Hunan Palace. We found their lack of sanitation and
pest control to be completely unacceptable. Please go somewhere else for
your Chinese food."

You could have knocked me over with a feather! An independent delivery
service, obviously being paid for their services, checked out the sanitation
in the restaurant and chose to quality over getting a check! How
refreshing!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Old Mother Ashby wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> > This actually happened to me last month but I've not remembered to post it
> > until now. Some time earlier in the summer a menu for a Chinese restaurant
> > was stuck in my mailbox (Hunan Palace on Germantown Parkway in Cordova, TN,
> > in case anyone here can reference that). On the menu was the notation: We
> > Deliver! and a sticker with a phone number.
> >
> > Around here, pretty much the only thing you can get delivered is crappy
> > pizza, or if you live in a specific geographic area, sandwiches from Jason's
> > Deli. Occasionally, not often, I get a craving for Chinese food. I usually
> > drive down the road and get take-out from a restaurant which is a
> > hole-in-the-wall but appears to be spic-n-span clean (and has an A rating on
> > the posted - not expired! - certificate from the Dept. of Health).
> >
> > One night last month I got the craving and didn't feel like driving so I
> > decided okay, I'll try this place. I picked out the items on the menu I
> > wanted and then placed the order.
> > Apparently they had hired a delivery service; they weren't doing the actual
> > delivery themselves. I got a recorded message which said (paraphrased), "We
> > no longer deliver for Hunan Palace. We found their lack of sanitation and
> > pest control to be completely unacceptable. Please go somewhere else for
> > your Chinese food."

-------------------
I had exactly the same reaction, Christine !! Somebody getting even for
something. Jill, I hope you find some good Chinese soon ;-)

Cheers, Nancree

> > You could have knocked me over with a feather! An independent delivery
> > service, obviously being paid for their services, checked out the sanitation
> > in the restaurant and chose to quality over getting a check! How
> > refreshing!
> >
> > Jill
> >

> What a trusting soul you are! Has it not occurred to you that this might
> be sabotage arising out of a commercial dispute? I would hazard a guess
> that it independent delivery service were obviously not being paid for
> their services...
>
> Christine
> I can't help it, I'm a lawyer

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> You could have knocked me over with a feather! An independent delivery
> service, obviously being paid for their services, checked out the sanitation
> in the restaurant and chose to quality over getting a check! How
> refreshing!
>
> Jill

First thing that crossed my mind is that there is a major dispute
between the two of them and the delivery service is throwing mud.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Old Mother Ashby wrote:

> What a trusting soul you are! Has it not occurred to you that this might
> be sabotage arising out of a commercial dispute? I would hazard a guess
> that independent delivery service were obviously not being paid for
> their services...

That was my first thought too. I must be the suspicious sort. I have
no proof, but what a way to take a stab at someone you don't like.
Either party could be the victim here. Maybe the restaurant stopped
using the delivery service for a legitamate reason, and the delivery
service got angry. Maybe the delivery service got angry with the
restaurant because the restaurant didn't pay, or didn't pay enough.
Anything is possible.

You (Jill) wouldn't happen to be curious enough to drive to the
restaurant, check things out and report back to us, would you? Hint.
Hint. Now you've gotten me curious.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> First thing that crossed my mind is why a delivery service would
> not answer their phones and put a recording on if they supposedly
> delivered for other restaurants as well.
>
> Wouldn't you still at least answer the phone to take orders for
> other restaurant deliveries?
>
> -sw

I pictured something like a cheesy version of "marketing on hold".

"Thanks for calling Mega insurance, did you know we now offer a discount
for people with 10 fingers?, press 1, 0 and the pound sign to hear
more...otherwise please stay on the line and a "customer care"
representative will be with you shortly..."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>

>> First thing that crossed my mind is why a delivery service would
>> not answer their phones and put a recording on if they supposedly
>> delivered for other restaurants as well.
>>
>> Wouldn't you still at least answer the phone to take orders for
>> other restaurant deliveries?
>>
>> -sw

> I pictured something like a cheesy version of "marketing on hold".
>
> "Thanks for calling Mega insurance, did you know we now offer a
> discount for people with 10 fingers?, press 1, 0 and the pound sign
> to hear more...otherwise please stay on the line and a "customer care"
> representative will be with you shortly..."

To respond to SQWRTZ, whom I keep killfiling - the delivery service has
different phone numbers depending on the business they deliver for. Hence
the "sticker" for the phone number mentioned in my original post.

He keeps coming back like a bad penny or a piece of gum stuck to my shoe. I
cannot get rid of him. It's ridiculous.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> > > One night last month I got the craving and didn't feel like driving so I
> > > decided okay, I'll try this place. I picked out the items on the menu I
> > > wanted and then placed the order.
> > > Apparently they had hired a delivery service; they weren't doing the actual
> > > delivery themselves. I got a recorded message which said (paraphrased), "We
> > > no longer deliver for Hunan Palace. We found their lack of sanitation and
> > > pest control to be completely unacceptable. Please go somewhere else for
> > > your Chinese food."

> -------------------
> I had exactly the same reaction, Christine !! Somebody getting even for
> something. Jill, I hope you find some good Chinese soon ;-)
>
> Cheers, Nancree

I agree. There's nothing worse than not being able to get hold of a
good plate of General Tso's chicken or sweet and sour pork when you
need it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Old Mother Ashby wrote:
>
> > What a trusting soul you are! Has it not occurred to you that this might
> > be sabotage arising out of a commercial dispute? I would hazard a guess
> > that independent delivery service were obviously not being paid for
> > their services...

> That was my first thought too. I must be the suspicious sort. I have
> no proof, but what a way to take a stab at someone you don't like.
> Either party could be the victim here. Maybe the restaurant stopped
> using the delivery service for a legitamate reason, and the delivery
> service got angry. Maybe the delivery service got angry with the
> restaurant because the restaurant didn't pay, or didn't pay enough.
> Anything is possible.
>
> You (Jill) wouldn't happen to be curious enough to drive to the
> restaurant, check things out and report back to us, would you? Hint.
> Hint. Now you've gotten me curious.
>
> --Lia

I'm of the other mind. I almost don't doubt there may/might have been a
problem with the sanitation (or lack thereof) at said restaurant. Many
years ago, I worked a short while for a county health department, part
of which inspected hundreds of restaurants. Until that time, I was
blissfully and naively unaware of how truly unsanitary some restaurants
are, and in my own experience, a few oriental restaurants were the worst
offenders! I even refused to go to certain restaurants because of my
"inside" knowledge of their inspections.

Sky, who rarely dines at oriental restaurants

P.S. Anyone can request to see a restaurant's inspection results from
appropriate governing bodies since they're considered a matter of public
record.

Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5 Aug 2006 09:10:27 -0700, "Christopher Helms"

>> -------------------
>> I had exactly the same reaction, Christine !! Somebody getting even for
>> something. Jill, I hope you find some good Chinese soon ;-)
>>
>> Cheers, Nancree

>I agree. There's nothing worse than not being able to get hold of a
>good plate of General Tso's chicken or sweet and sour pork when you
>need it.

Pfft. She's in Memphis. We have Formosa here. They make the best
Chinese food in the world, although, sadly, they do not deliever.
Doesn't matter though; they're so good, it's worth the trip.

Regards,
Tracy R.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ravinwulf wrote:

>>> -------------------
>>> I had exactly the same reaction, Christine !! Somebody getting even
>>> for something. Jill, I hope you find some good Chinese soon ;-)
>>>
>>> Cheers, Nancree

>> I agree. There's nothing worse than not being able to get hold of a
>> good plate of General Tso's chicken or sweet and sour pork when you
>> need it.

> Pfft. She's in Memphis. We have Formosa here. They make the best
> Chinese food in the world, although, sadly, they do not deliever.
> Doesn't matter though; they're so good, it's worth the trip.
>
> Regards,
> Tracy R.

I'm not in Memphis... Where is Formosa?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 14:36:25 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>I'm not in Memphis... Where is Formosa?

Memphis, Germantown, Cordova, same difference, more or less. :P I
can't believe you've never eaten at the Formosa Restaurant! The
original restaurant was on Summer, but we usually eat at the one on
Quince, near Kirby, these days. The Hot and Sour Soup is the best! I
get cravings for the stuff about once a week.

Regards,
Tracy R.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ravinwulf wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 14:36:25 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>

>> I'm not in Memphis... Where is Formosa?

> Memphis, Germantown, Cordova, same difference, more or less. :P I
> can't believe you've never eaten at the Formosa Restaurant! The
> original restaurant was on Summer, but we usually eat at the one on
> Quince, near Kirby, these days. The Hot and Sour Soup is the best! I
> get cravings for the stuff about once a week.
>
> Regards,
> Tracy R.

Quince & Kirby, eh? Well, I rarely get out that way anymore but maybe one
of these days

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Skyhooks" > wrote in message
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
> >
> > Old Mother Ashby wrote:
> >
> > > What a trusting soul you are! Has it not occurred to you that this

might
> > > be sabotage arising out of a commercial dispute? I would hazard a

guess
> > > that independent delivery service were obviously not being paid for
> > > their services...

> > That was my first thought too. I must be the suspicious sort. I have
> > no proof, but what a way to take a stab at someone you don't like.
> > Either party could be the victim here. Maybe the restaurant stopped
> > using the delivery service for a legitamate reason, and the delivery
> > service got angry. Maybe the delivery service got angry with the
> > restaurant because the restaurant didn't pay, or didn't pay enough.
> > Anything is possible.
> >
> > You (Jill) wouldn't happen to be curious enough to drive to the
> > restaurant, check things out and report back to us, would you? Hint.
> > Hint. Now you've gotten me curious.
> >
> > --Lia

> I'm of the other mind. I almost don't doubt there may/might have been a
> problem with the sanitation (or lack thereof) at said restaurant. Many
> years ago, I worked a short while for a county health department, part
> of which inspected hundreds of restaurants. Until that time, I was
> blissfully and naively unaware of how truly unsanitary some restaurants
> are, and in my own experience, a few oriental restaurants were the worst
> offenders! I even refused to go to certain restaurants because of my
> "inside" knowledge of their inspections.
>
> Sky, who rarely dines at oriental restaurants
>
> P.S. Anyone can request to see a restaurant's inspection results from
> appropriate governing bodies since they're considered a matter of public
> record.
>
> Sky

There 'used to be' a chinese restaurant in Allentown that was shut down
because the sewer pipes burst and the cooks were standing ankle deep in doo
and thought nothing of it when the health inspector stopped by. Needless to
say, they are a 'used to be'.....facility taken over by a tittybar which has
just closed down - maybe the doo came back and doo dipped boobies don't
bring in the clientele.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Follow the newspaper, especially the legals....see if there is an
interesting lawsuit brewing. For someone to actually put something on an
answering machine that could be recorded and used as evidence in a libel
suit is stupid to say the least - unless they had proof of which they
speak - watch and see what unfolds. I also agree that you might want to
stop by and just snoop a little - order a take out egg roll - and look over
the counter while you wait.....amazing what some people 'don't' hide.
-ginny