Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown jmcquown is offline

Default Chinese Food Delivery

This actually happened to me last month but I've not remembered to post it
until now. Some time earlier in the summer a menu for a Chinese restaurant
was stuck in my mailbox (Hunan Palace on Germantown Parkway in Cordova, TN,
in case anyone here can reference that). On the menu was the notation: We
Deliver! and a sticker with a phone number.

Around here, pretty much the only thing you can get delivered is crappy
pizza, or if you live in a specific geographic area, sandwiches from Jason's
Deli. Occasionally, not often, I get a craving for Chinese food. I usually
drive down the road and get take-out from a restaurant which is a
hole-in-the-wall but appears to be spic-n-span clean (and has an A rating on
the posted - not expired! - certificate from the Dept. of Health).

One night last month I got the craving and didn't feel like driving so I
decided okay, I'll try this place. I picked out the items on the menu I
wanted and then placed the call.

Apparently they had hired a delivery service; they weren't doing the actual
delivery themselves. I got a recorded message which said (paraphrased), "We
no longer deliver for Hunan Palace. We found their lack of sanitation and
pest control to be completely unacceptable. Please go somewhere else for
your Chinese food."

You could have knocked me over with a feather! An independent delivery
service, obviously being paid for their services, checked out the sanitation
in the restaurant and chose to quality over getting a check! How
refreshing!

Jill