jmcquown

Default Ordering Chinese Delivery - a comedy

Last Thursday evening it was pouring down rain; didn't want to leave the
hotel. So I ask the desk clerk for food delivery options. I'm given a list
of restaurants with their menus. Chinese food sounds good.

So I call - keep in mind this is one of those delivery services, not the
actual restaurant I'm talking with - except at the very end.

Yes, I'd like two of the combination dinners - pork foo yung and the BBQ
ribs. Wonton soup with both, please. And an order of the "cheese wontons"
from the appetizers list. Thank you.

The hotel room phone rings minutes later. They don't have pork foo yung.
Okay, make it chicken foo yung and the ribs. Thank you.

The phone rings. They don't have foo yung at all! Er, okay, sesame chicken
and the ribs. Thank you.

By this time it's starting to feel like I'm in the middle of an Abbott &
Costello routine.

The phone rings - this time it's someone from the restaurant itself. No
ribs, but we do have pork foo yung. (SIGH) Okay, pork foo yung and sesame
chicken. Wonton soup? Yes, please. Cheese wontons? Yes, please.

I'm thinking to myself, if this phone rings one more time, it's microwave
popcorn for the next couple of days!

The food, when we were finally able to figure out what they do and don't
have, was excellent.

I was taking a wild guess about what they call "cheese wontons" - I call
them crab pillows or crab puffs:

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
3 quick dashes red pepper (cayenne) or to taste - these should not be "hot"
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. finely minced green onion
1 c. flaked crabmeat
1 pkg. wonton wrappers
1 egg beaten with 1 Tbs. cold water
oil for deep frying
Blend the first 5 ingredients well to make the filling. Place 1-1/2 tsp. of
filling in the center of a wonton wrapper. Fold over into a triangle and
seal the edges lightly with the egg mixture, using your fingers. Fold the
corners of the wrapper together and moisten with more of the egg. Set these
aside on waxed paper until all the filling is used up. Deep fry in hot oil
until golden brown. Drain on brown paper or paper towels.

Jill

Dunter Powries

jmcquown > wrote in message
. ..

If I need a hoot, I can always order from the local asian restaurants and
spend five to ten minutes spelling my (real) name with them. It's one of
those mega-multi-syllable German ones with a very few vowels but lots of
hard ch's, r's and l's. If I'm REALLY hungry, I just tell them my name is
'Jones.'

> I was taking a wild guess about what they call "cheese wontons" - I call
> them crab pillows or crab puffs...

Hereabouts, they're called 'crab rangoon.' I've always thought they were
sort of nasty, something about deep-fried cream cheese and imitation
crabmeat.

--
'It tastes like burning..... waaaaa!!!!'
-Ralph Wiggum

jmcquown

Dunter Powries wrote:
> jmcquown > wrote in message
> . ..

> If I need a hoot, I can always order from the local asian restaurants
> and spend five to ten minutes spelling my (real) name with them.
> It's one of those mega-multi-syllable German ones with a very few
> vowels but lots of hard ch's, r's and l's. If I'm REALLY hungry, I
> just tell them my name is 'Jones.'

Dear, no one knows how to spell McQuown, least of all Asian's. I just say
"Jill". The best hoot I ever had was calling a local chinese shop from the
office because I wanted to pick up my order on the way home. The woman
asked, "What time?" I said well, I get off work at 4:00. She said, "4:00 no
good, husband go pick up daughter." No, you don't understand, I get off
*work* at 4:00, I can be there around 4:30. "4:00 no good, husband go pick
up daughter." Another Abbott & Costello routine.

>> I was taking a wild guess about what they call "cheese wontons" - I
>> call them crab pillows or crab puffs...

> Hereabouts, they're called 'crab rangoon.'

Yeppers, same thing. Funny how the same things are called different things
in different places.

I've always thought they
> were sort of nasty, something about deep-fried cream cheese and
> imitation crabmeat.

Have you ever tasted one? Mine don't call for 'imitation' crabmeat.
Canned, yes, because fresh crab are few and far between in Memphis, TN. And
they are absolutely delicious! But, very, very rich. I can only eat 2 of
them. The 6 in the order lasted 2 days.

Jill

Nancy Young

Dunter Powries wrote:

> If I need a hoot, I can always order from the local asian restaurants and
> spend five to ten minutes spelling my (real) name with them. It's one of
> those mega-multi-syllable German ones with a very few vowels but lots of
> hard ch's, r's and l's. If I'm REALLY hungry, I just tell them my name is
> 'Jones.'

That's funny. My ex husband's last name made it tough to order pizza
without a 10 minute discussion so I would do the same thing. Just
make up a name, then I had to remember what name I used. I'm sure I
just wound up picking a name and sticking with it, but I forget what
it was.

nancy
jmcquown

Nancy Young wrote:
> Dunter Powries wrote:
>
>> If I need a hoot, I can always order from the local asian
>> restaurants and spend five to ten minutes spelling my (real) name
>> with them. It's one of those mega-multi-syllable German ones with a
>> very few vowels but lots of hard ch's, r's and l's. If I'm REALLY
>> hungry, I just tell them my name is 'Jones.'

> That's funny. My ex husband's last name made it tough to order pizza
> without a 10 minute discussion so I would do the same thing. Just
> make up a name, then I had to remember what name I used. I'm sure I
> just wound up picking a name and sticking with it, but I forget what
> it was.
>
> nancy

Nancy foo Yung? (giggling)

Ariane Jenkins

On Sun, 16 May 2004 10:15:41 -0500, jmcquown > wrote:

> Dear, no one knows how to spell McQuown, least of all Asian's. I just say
> "Jill".

Funny, I somehow manage to spell it. But then, my
ethnicity has little to do with my spelling abilities in general and I
suspect it works that way for most people. For example, I'd never
dream of saying that people of Scottish descent can't tell the
difference between a plural and possessive. ;P

(And before you say I'm taking you too "literally" again, do
note the the presence of the ;P ) ;P

> Have you ever tasted one? Mine don't call for 'imitation' crabmeat.
> Canned, yes, because fresh crab are few and far between in Memphis, TN. And
> they are absolutely delicious! But, very, very rich. I can only eat 2 of
> them. The 6 in the order lasted 2 days.

We have those here too, usually called "crab rangoon" like
the other poster mentioned, or the more enigmatic name, "crab
cheese". I've eaten it at several places and somehow doubt it's got
much, if any crab in it at all. We make them at home and just use a
cream cheese filling with scallions, pepper, and soy sauce. Damsel
has a great variation on this recipe using minced salad shrimp that
she really likes.

Ariane
Rick & Cyndi

"jmcquown" <
<snipping>
: By this time it's starting to feel like I'm in the middle of an
Abbott &
: Costello routine.

<snip>

:
: I was taking a wild guess about what they call "cheese
wontons" - I call
: them crab pillows or crab puffs:
:
: <snip>

And we always called them Crab Rangoon! Sounds delicious no
matter what they're called.

--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

jmcquown

Ariane Jenkins wrote:
> On Sun, 16 May 2004 10:15:41 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>

>> Dear, no one knows how to spell McQuown, least of all Asian's. I
>> just say "Jill".

> Funny, I somehow manage to spell it. But then, my
> ethnicity has little to do with my spelling abilities in general and I
> suspect it works that way for most people. For example, I'd never
> dream of saying that people of Scottish descent can't tell the
> difference between a plural and possessive. ;P
>
> (And before you say I'm taking you too "literally" again, do
> note the the presence of the ;P ) ;P
>
>> Have you ever tasted one? Mine don't call for 'imitation' crabmeat.
>> Canned, yes, because fresh crab are few and far between in Memphis,
>> TN. And they are absolutely delicious! But, very, very rich. I
>> can only eat 2 of them. The 6 in the order lasted 2 days.

> We have those here too, usually called "crab rangoon" like
> the other poster mentioned, or the more enigmatic name, "crab
> cheese". I've eaten it at several places and somehow doubt it's got
> much, if any crab in it at all. We make them at home and just use a
> cream cheese filling with scallions, pepper, and soy sauce. Damsel
> has a great variation on this recipe using minced salad shrimp that
> she really likes.
>
> Ariane

Oh yum! (and before you think I was really making a slur against Asians :P)

Jill

Nancy Young

jmcquown wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:

> > That's funny. My ex husband's last name made it tough to order pizza
> > without a 10 minute discussion so I would do the same thing. Just
> > make up a name, then I had to remember what name I used. I'm sure I
> > just wound up picking a name and sticking with it, but I forget what
> > it was.

> Nancy foo Yung? (giggling)

They didn't have delivery Chinese food there. I live in a really
strange place in some ways. And Nancy foo Young wouldn't be easier
to spell for the few pizza delivery types we had down the shore.

nancy
Cindy Fuller

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Last Thursday evening it was pouring down rain; didn't want to leave the
> hotel. So I ask the desk clerk for food delivery options. I'm given a list
> of restaurants with their menus. Chinese food sounds good.
>
> So I call - keep in mind this is one of those delivery services, not the
> actual restaurant I'm talking with - except at the very end.
>
> Yes, I'd like two of the combination dinners - pork foo yung and the BBQ
> ribs. Wonton soup with both, please. And an order of the "cheese wontons"
> from the appetizers list. Thank you.
>
> The hotel room phone rings minutes later. They don't have pork foo yung.
> Okay, make it chicken foo yung and the ribs. Thank you.
>
> The phone rings. They don't have foo yung at all! Er, okay, sesame chicken
> and the ribs. Thank you.
>
> By this time it's starting to feel like I'm in the middle of an Abbott &
> Costello routine.
>
> The phone rings - this time it's someone from the restaurant itself. No
> ribs, but we do have pork foo yung. (SIGH) Okay, pork foo yung and sesame
> chicken. Wonton soup? Yes, please. Cheese wontons? Yes, please.
>
> I'm thinking to myself, if this phone rings one more time, it's microwave
> popcorn for the next couple of days!
>
> The food, when we were finally able to figure out what they do and don't
> have, was excellent.
>
> I was taking a wild guess about what they call "cheese wontons" - I call
> them crab pillows or crab puffs:
>
> 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
> 3 quick dashes red pepper (cayenne) or to taste - these should not be "hot"
> 1/4 tsp. salt
> 2 Tbs. finely minced green onion
> 1 c. flaked crabmeat
> 1 pkg. wonton wrappers
> 1 egg beaten with 1 Tbs. cold water
> oil for deep frying
> Blend the first 5 ingredients well to make the filling. Place 1-1/2 tsp. of
> filling in the center of a wonton wrapper. Fold over into a triangle and
> seal the edges lightly with the egg mixture, using your fingers. Fold the
> corners of the wrapper together and moisten with more of the egg. Set these
> aside on waxed paper until all the filling is used up. Deep fry in hot oil
> until golden brown. Drain on brown paper or paper towels.
>
> Jill

Those were called crab rangoons at the Lover's Egg Roll on Inwood Road
and Lovers Lane (in Dallas). About as authentic as fortune cookies, but
tasty nonetheless.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Ariane Jenkins

On Sun, 16 May 2004 13:27:20 -0500, jmcquown > wrote:

> Oh yum!

Yeah, I like the idea of a shrimp version even better, but we
haven't gotten to try it out yet. Damsel is a magician with won ton
wrappers, so who knows what other snack ideas she's come up with all
this time! And Crash loves those shrimp rangoons.

> (and before you think I was really making a slur against Asians :P)

I'm sure you wouldn't dream of it.

Ariane

Gregory Morrow

Dunter Powries wrote:

> If I need a hoot, I can always order from the local asian restaurants and
> spend five to ten minutes spelling my (real) name with them. It's one of
> those mega-multi-syllable German ones with a very few vowels but lots of
> hard ch's, r's and l's. If I'm REALLY hungry, I just tell them my name is
> 'Jones.'

This is one case where the resto having a caller ID unit comes in handy.
You don't have to spend a bunch of time trying to spell yer name and address
to them....

--
Best
Greg

Bob

Nancy wrote:

> That's funny. My ex husband's last name made it tough to order pizza
> without a 10 minute discussion so I would do the same thing. Just
> make up a name, then I had to remember what name I used. I'm sure I
> just wound up picking a name and sticking with it, but I forget what
> it was.

Try the one that I use: "Bond. James Bond."

Bob