Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What kind of sauce for a Reuben pizza?

I've got corned beef, sauerkraut, and processed swiss cheese slices. I
have rye flour to add to the crust. The swiss cheese slices will
probably be shredded and mixed with mozzarella. Do I use a red sauce,
or some kind of white sauce? Should I add caraway seeds?

Maybe I should use the swiss cheese with some ricotta instead of a sauce
and use just mozzarella over the top?

What do y'all think?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message

:: I've got corned beef, sauerkraut, and processed swiss cheese
slices. I
:: have rye flour to add to the crust. The swiss cheese slices will
:: probably be shredded and mixed with mozzarella. Do I use a red
sauce,
:: or some kind of white sauce? Should I add caraway seeds?
::
:: Maybe I should use the swiss cheese with some ricotta instead of a
sauce
:: and use just mozzarella over the top?
::
:: What do y'all think?
::
:: Bob

Russian dressing?

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BOB > wrote:

>Russian dressing?

Exactly.

Anyone have a good Russian dressing recipe?

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> BOB > wrote:
>
>> Russian dressing?

> Exactly.
>
> Anyone have a good Russian dressing recipe?
>
> S.

Isn't it basically a vinaigrette seasoned with catsup?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> Steve Pope wrote:
>
>> BOB > wrote:
>>
>>> Russian dressing?

>> Exactly.
>>
>> Anyone have a good Russian dressing recipe?
>>
>> S.

> Isn't it basically a vinaigrette seasoned with catsup?
>
> Bob

Not quite. It's mayo based. Here's a good version. Just
use whatever catsup you like. No need to use the Heinz
Chili Sauce stuff.

Russian Dressing

Recipe By : David Rosengarten
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Salads/Dressings Condiments

1/2 cup Mayonnaise
1/2 cup Chili sauce
1 tablespoon Drained horseradish
1 tablespoon Chopped sweet and sour pickles
1 teaspoon Fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/8 teaspoon Freshly-ground black pepper

In a medium bowl combine all ingredients until blended.

Recipe Source:
TASTE with David Rosengarten

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> I've got corned beef, sauerkraut, and processed swiss cheese slices. I
> have rye flour to add to the crust. The swiss cheese slices will
> probably be shredded and mixed with mozzarella. Do I use a red sauce,
> or some kind of white sauce? Should I add caraway seeds?
>
> Maybe I should use the swiss cheese with some ricotta instead of a sauce
> and use just mozzarella over the top?
>
> What do y'all think?
>
> Bob

Red. Kraut and tomato is a fine combination. Red, I say, red!

--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 5/29/2006, What They Did For Love
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> I've got corned beef, sauerkraut, and processed swiss cheese slices. I
> have rye flour to add to the crust. The swiss cheese slices will
> probably be shredded and mixed with mozzarella. Do I use a red sauce,
> or some kind of white sauce? Should I add caraway seeds?
>
> Maybe I should use the swiss cheese with some ricotta instead of a sauce
> and use just mozzarella over the top?
>
> What do y'all think?
>
> Bob

sauerkraut and corned beef on the crust, covered with cheese and baked
then top with a nice guacamole sauce just before serving.
---
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> I've got corned beef, sauerkraut, and processed swiss cheese slices. I
> have rye flour to add to the crust. The swiss cheese slices will probably
> be shredded and mixed with mozzarella. Do I use a red sauce, or some kind
> of white sauce? Should I add caraway seeds?
>
> Maybe I should use the swiss cheese with some ricotta instead of a sauce
> and use just mozzarella over the top?
>
> What do y'all think?
>
> Bob

I would make a pizza bianca, or white pizza without any tomato. I think
using the rye is a great idea. I would use the kraut in a fashion so it
doesn't get burned up. Spray the pizza round with PAM, then apply the Kraut.
It might be a good idea to leave the meat under the cheese as well. I like
the idea of Swiss cheese. I'd leave out Mozzarella. When I do something like
this, I bake on a pizza stone, preheated 45 min. on the hottest setting your
oven will go. It should take only 5-6 minutes to bake the pizza. That way
the other ingredients won't be burned up and dry.
That's just the kind of crazy thing I would try. A sort of "Reuben Pizza".
Let us know how it turned out.
Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>> I've got corned beef, sauerkraut, and processed swiss cheese slices. I
>> have rye flour to add to the crust. The swiss cheese slices will probably
>> be shredded and mixed with mozzarella. Do I use a red sauce, or some kind
>> of white sauce? Should I add caraway seeds?
>>
>> Maybe I should use the swiss cheese with some ricotta instead of a sauce
>> and use just mozzarella over the top?
>>
>> What do y'all think?
>>
>> Bob

> I would make a pizza bianca, or white pizza without any tomato. I think
> using the rye is a great idea. I would use the kraut in a fashion so it
> doesn't get burned up. Spray the pizza round with PAM, then apply the Kraut.
> It might be a good idea to leave the meat under the cheese as well. I like
> the idea of Swiss cheese. I'd leave out Mozzarella. When I do something like
> this, I bake on a pizza stone, preheated 45 min. on the hottest setting your
> oven will go. It should take only 5-6 minutes to bake the pizza. That way
> the other ingredients won't be burned up and dry.
> That's just the kind of crazy thing I would try. A sort of "Reuben Pizza".
> Let us know how it turned out.
> Kent

I'll make it tomorrow night (it's too late tonight; I'm trying to stop
eating 90% of my daily calories after dark)

Here's the plan. About 30% rye flour and 70% bread flour in the crust,
with caraway seeds and olive oil. A little more oil on top of the
crust, then sauerkraut with a little ketchup mixed in as a nod to the
Russian dressing. Corned beef, some diced tomatoes and red onions (not
too much tomatoes or onions), swiss cheese slices, and a little shredded
mozzarella to cover.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" BOB" wrote
> "zxcvbob" wrote > :: I've got corned beef, sauerkraut, and processed

swiss cheese
> slices. I
> :: have rye flour to add to the crust. The swiss cheese slices will
> :: probably be shredded and mixed with mozzarella. Do I use a red
> sauce,
> :: or some kind of white sauce? Should I add caraway seeds?
> ::
> :: Maybe I should use the swiss cheese with some ricotta instead of a
> sauce
> :: and use just mozzarella over the top?
> ::
> :: What do y'all think?
> ::
> :: Bob
>
> Russian dressing?
>
> BOB

Or Thousand Island dressing, the other favorite?

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> I've got corned beef, sauerkraut, and processed swiss cheese slices. I
> have rye flour to add to the crust. The swiss cheese slices will
> probably be shredded and mixed with mozzarella. Do I use a red sauce,
> or some kind of white sauce? Should I add caraway seeds?
>
> Maybe I should use the swiss cheese with some ricotta instead of a sauce
> and use just mozzarella over the top?
>
> What do y'all think?
>
> Bob

Sounds like a nice layer of "instant ramen" would go good with this..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> I've got corned beef, sauerkraut, and processed swiss cheese slices.
>> I have rye flour to add to the crust. The swiss cheese slices will
>> probably be shredded and mixed with mozzarella. Do I use a red sauce,
>> or some kind of white sauce? Should I add caraway seeds?
>>
>> Maybe I should use the swiss cheese with some ricotta instead of a
>> sauce and use just mozzarella over the top?
>>
>> What do y'all think?
>>
>> Bob

> Sounds like a nice layer of "instant ramen" would go good with this..

I have instant ramen, but I use it with lots of vegetables for making lo
mein. I don't think it would work with pizza, but if that's what you
like go for it.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> I've got corned beef, sauerkraut, and processed swiss cheese slices. I
> have rye flour to add to the crust. The swiss cheese slices will
> probably be shredded and mixed with mozzarella. Do I use a red sauce,
> or some kind of white sauce? Should I add caraway seeds?
>
> Maybe I should use the swiss cheese with some ricotta instead of a sauce
> and use just mozzarella over the top?
>
> What do y'all think?
>
> Bob

Mustard sauce. Tomato sauce and corned beef sound really nasty to me
LOL.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> George wrote:
>
>> zxcvbob wrote:
>>
>>> I've got corned beef, sauerkraut, and processed swiss cheese slices.
>>> I have rye flour to add to the crust. The swiss cheese slices will
>>> probably be shredded and mixed with mozzarella. Do I use a red
>>> sauce, or some kind of white sauce? Should I add caraway seeds?
>>>
>>> Maybe I should use the swiss cheese with some ricotta instead of a
>>> sauce and use just mozzarella over the top?
>>>
>>> What do y'all think?
>>>
>>> Bob

>> Sounds like a nice layer of "instant ramen" would go good with this..

> I have instant ramen, but I use it with lots of vegetables for making lo
> mein. I don't think it would work with pizza, but if that's what you
> like go for it.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Your original post reads like a joke so a crappy thing seemed like a
good topping.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

A few years back, I found a recipe for a "Muffaletta Calzone" on Emeril's
website...that came out great, although making olive salad took a long
time (I hand-minced everything). While I was doing that calzone, I had
the makings for Reubens as well, so I winged a Reuben Calzone. That came
out great too, although I found that too much Russian dressing was a
little too rich for my palate.

So...my vote (as others have suggested) is for Russian dressing. But
I'd use a thin layer...and, unless you want to use a knife and fork
with the pizza, it might be best to shred the corned beef, or cut into
bite-sized pieces.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Verdict ( What kind of sauce for a Reuben pizza?

zxcvbob wrote:
> Kent wrote:
>> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>>> I've got corned beef, sauerkraut, and processed swiss cheese slices.
>>> I have rye flour to add to the crust. The swiss cheese slices will
>>> probably be shredded and mixed with mozzarella. Do I use a red
>>> sauce, or some kind of white sauce? Should I add caraway seeds?
>>>
>>> Maybe I should use the swiss cheese with some ricotta instead of a
>>> sauce and use just mozzarella over the top?
>>>
>>> What do y'all think?
>>>
>>> Bob

>> I would make a pizza bianca, or white pizza without any tomato. I
>> think using the rye is a great idea. I would use the kraut in a
>> fashion so it doesn't get burned up. Spray the pizza round with PAM,
>> then apply the Kraut. It might be a good idea to leave the meat under
>> the cheese as well. I like the idea of Swiss cheese. I'd leave out
>> Mozzarella. When I do something like this, I bake on a pizza stone,
>> preheated 45 min. on the hottest setting your oven will go. It should
>> take only 5-6 minutes to bake the pizza. That way the other
>> ingredients won't be burned up and dry.
>> That's just the kind of crazy thing I would try. A sort of "Reuben
>> Pizza".
>> Let us know how it turned out.
>> Kent
>>

> I'll make it tomorrow night (it's too late tonight; I'm trying to stop
> eating 90% of my daily calories after dark)
>
> Here's the plan. About 30% rye flour and 70% bread flour in the crust,
> with caraway seeds and olive oil. A little more oil on top of the
> crust, then sauerkraut with a little ketchup mixed in as a nod to the
> Russian dressing. Corned beef, some diced tomatoes and red onions (not
> too much tomatoes or onions), swiss cheese slices, and a little shredded
> mozzarella to cover.
>
> Bob

I did not use any tomatoes or onions after all. I used the sauerkraut
(lightly seasoned with ketchup and oil) instead of a sauce, then topped
with thinly sliced corned beef, then swiss cheese, then mozzarella.

It wasn't very good, but it had potential. I think my approach was too
literal. Instead of "Reuben Pizza", I should have been thinking "Corned
beef and Sauerkraut Pizza" and used a traditional pizza crust and sauce.
The swiss cheese was a nice touch. The rye flour and the caraway
seeds were not.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 10:15:52 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

> It wasn't very good

Thanks for admitting it.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> I did not use any tomatoes or onions after all. I used the sauerkraut
> (lightly seasoned with ketchup and oil) instead of a sauce, then
> topped with thinly sliced corned beef, then swiss cheese, then
> mozzarella.
>
> It wasn't very good, but it had potential. I think my approach was
> too literal. Instead of "Reuben Pizza", I should have been thinking
> "Corned beef and Sauerkraut Pizza" and used a traditional pizza crust
> and sauce. The swiss cheese was a nice touch. The rye flour and the
> caraway seeds were not.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

We had corned beef last night - with parsley sauce, steamed cabbage and
carrot and potato mash - and the remains are destined for sandwiches. I
have to say that I don't in the least fancy corned beef pizza, but thne
I don't fancy tandoori chicken pizza either and you can buy those.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Obvously you don't have kidney disease, as you would not be allowed to
eat this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I did not use any tomatoes or onions after all. I used the sauerkraut
> (lightly seasoned with ketchup and oil) instead of a sauce, then topped
> with thinly sliced corned beef, then swiss cheese, then mozzarella.
>
> It wasn't very good, but it had potential. I think my approach was too
> literal. Instead of "Reuben Pizza", I should have been thinking "Corned
> beef and Sauerkraut Pizza" and used a traditional pizza crust and sauce.
> The swiss cheese was a nice touch. The rye flour and the caraway seeds
> were not.

Did you use a thin or a deep-dish crust? I'm imagining it might be good with
thick semi-deep fried crust. Cooks Illustrated had a thick crust recipe with
potato in it and that was really good.

Andrew

Posted to rec.food.cooking

What time is dinner? Please let us know how it is and the final
recipe....would love to try this.
Thanks,
Ellie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

andrew queisser wrote:
>> I did not use any tomatoes or onions after all. I used the sauerkraut
>> (lightly seasoned with ketchup and oil) instead of a sauce, then topped
>> with thinly sliced corned beef, then swiss cheese, then mozzarella.
>>
>> It wasn't very good, but it had potential. I think my approach was too
>> literal. Instead of "Reuben Pizza", I should have been thinking "Corned
>> beef and Sauerkraut Pizza" and used a traditional pizza crust and sauce.
>> The swiss cheese was a nice touch. The rye flour and the caraway seeds
>> were not.
>>

> Did you use a thin or a deep-dish crust? I'm imagining it might be good with
> thick semi-deep fried crust. Cooks Illustrated had a thick crust recipe with
> potato in it and that was really good.
>
> Andrew

It was a medium crust. Just over 2 cups of flour to make a 14" crust.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"andrew queisser" > writes:
>Did you use a thin or a deep-dish crust? I'm imagining it might be good with
>thick semi-deep fried crust. Cooks Illustrated had a thick crust recipe with
>potato in it and that was really good.

Somewhere at home I have a potato starch pizza crust recipe that came
from Mary Ann Esposito's Ciao Italia show. The basics call for about
a cup of cubed potatoes cooked until falling apart, mashed and used
(with the liquid) in the crust recipe. It is really good, if you like
the potato starch style (we're not talking thin and crispy).

Guy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob wrote: I've got corned beef, sauerkraut, and processed swiss cheese
slices. I have rye flour to add to the crust. The swiss cheese slices
will probably be shredded and mixed with mozzarella. Do I use a red
sauce, or some kind of white sauce? Should I add caraway seeds?
Maybe I should use the swiss cheese with some ricotta instead of a sauce
and use just mozzarella over the top?
What do y'all think?
In most sandwiches I had, a 1000 island-type dressing is given one on
the side. Your recipe sounds delicious. Jeanette

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote: Exactly.
Anyone have a good Russian dressing recipe?
Here is one from the Joy of Cooking cookbook.
1 cup mayonnaise
1 T horseradish
1/4 c chili sauce or catsup
1 t grated onion
(2 T imported caviar)
(1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce)
I suppose one could use the worcestershire sauce in it, but caviar, Ugh!
Mix well. I've never seen the sauce served with the sandwich that had
caviar in it. Jeanette

Pizza sauce z z General Cooking 37 06-01-2013 06:22 PM
Sauce Gravy (the good kind) Bread Basket Barbecue 1 23-03-2011 12:12 PM
Reuben Pizza Travis & Jenn Recipes (moderated) 0 12-02-2007 11:24 AM
Tomato Sauce- do you mean the Aussie kind or the American kind? [email protected] Preserving 5 22-03-2004 06:24 AM
Pizza Sauce Ken Anderson Preserving 9 08-03-2004 09:49 PM