Old 03-04-2006, 06:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default fish cake recipe request

I am thinking that fish cakes might be a good way for me to include more
fish into my diet. Does anyone have a good fish cake recipe that's low
in fat and calories that I should consider?

Old 03-04-2006, 07:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Do you mean aside from salmon or crab patties??

Diane B.

Old 03-04-2006, 09:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Stan Horwitz wrote:
I am thinking that fish cakes might be a good way for me to include more
fish into my diet. Does anyone have a good fish cake recipe that's low
in fat and calories that I should consider?

Fish cakes usually start with cooked fish and add things like mashed
potatoes, eggs and breadcrumbs. More often than not, they are then
fried, sometimes with a batter coating. So they're going to be higher
in fat and calories than the original fish, as a general rule. Is that
okay? -aem

Old 03-04-2006, 09:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I am thinking that fish cakes might be a good way for me to include more
fish into my diet. Does anyone have a good fish cake recipe that's low
in fat and calories that I should consider?

Not a recipe, per se, but I've done this befo

Canned salmon + egg (you could maybe use beaters? someone here must know if
they'd help bind as well as a regular egg) + Old Bay seasoning + bread
crumbs + chopped onion, and anything else you can think of. I play with the
amounts, but the fish is the dish. Make them patties, bake them until
they're at the desired temp. Not scientific, I know, but I throw it all
together, and it tastes great.

Old 03-04-2006, 09:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:
I am thinking that fish cakes might be a good way for me to include
more fish into my diet. Does anyone have a good fish cake recipe
that's low in fat and calories that I should consider?

What type of fish do you like? Salmon patties are wonderful; crab cakes
(while not strictly "fish") are very tasty. I could go on but I'd like to
know what you like (other than ketchup) before I continue

Jill

Old 03-04-2006, 09:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jumping Jack Flash wrote:
I am thinking that fish cakes might be a good way for me to include
more fish into my diet. Does anyone have a good fish cake recipe
that's low in fat and calories that I should consider?

Not a recipe, per se, but I've done this befo

Canned salmon + egg (you could maybe use beaters? someone here must
know if they'd help bind as well as a regular egg) + Old Bay
seasoning + bread crumbs + chopped onion, and anything else you can
think of. I play with the amounts, but the fish is the dish. Make
them patties, bake them until they're at the desired temp. Not
scientific, I know, but I throw it all together, and it tastes great.

Canned mackerel also works for patties, too; mash the fish. Add a beaten
egg; about 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, pepper, salt as desired, a little minced
onion, minced garlic, a few dashes of hot sauce. Form them into patties and
pan fry in canola oil until browned on both sides.

Jill

Old 03-04-2006, 10:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Whitefish cake
Ingredients
1. White fish or Cod: 1 pound Steamed and flaked
2. Shallots: 3 Tablespoons finely chopped.
3. Potatoes: 2 Medium size, Boiled, peeled, forked
4. Cilantro: 2 Tablespoon, washed, pick leaf discard stem, chop
5. Salt: teaspoon or to taste
6. Cayenne powder: teaspoon or to taste
7. Egg: 1 slightly beaten
8. Nutmeg: teaspoon freshly grated
9. Bread crumbs: Cup
10. Canola oil: cup for frying

Method
1. Mix all the ingredients except bread crumbs and Canola oil. Let the
mixture rest in refrigerator for about one hour.
2. Form patties. Dust patties with breadcrumbs.
3. On a griddle heat a teaspoon of canola oil. Fry the patties till
underside starts to get brown about three minutes. Turn the patties
over and cook another 3 minutes.

I might have forgotten something somewhere. You got the idea

Yogi

Old 04-04-2006, 12:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"jmcquown" wrote:

Stan Horwitz wrote:
I am thinking that fish cakes might be a good way for me to include
more fish into my diet. Does anyone have a good fish cake recipe
that's low in fat and calories that I should consider?

What type of fish do you like? Salmon patties are wonderful; crab cakes
(while not strictly "fish") are very tasty. I could go on but I'd like to
know what you like (other than ketchup) before I continue

I am not sure, being as though I rarely eat fish. When I do eat fish,
its either tuna from a can (or packet), smoked salmon on bread with
cream cheese, or broiled scallops. I was thinking of those fish cakes
that they used to serve on hot dog rolls with a hot dog at Levis' in
Philadelphia when I was a kid. Those definitely did not have salmon in
them.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Yogi Gupta wrote:

Stan!
Let me know after you really make the recipe, if you liked it or it
needed something else. I always like to put potatoes instead of
breadcrumbs as a binder. I use breadcrumbs only on the outside to give
it a crunch.
Yogi

Well how nice, i have been advocating potatoes for a binder for a long
time and it seemed i was the only one doing so. I have recently started
using a bit of mushroom flavoured soy sauce in my fish cake mix.

It should be mentioned the potatoes should be just barely done, and have
no milk or butter added, they can even be dried in a pot on top of the
stove to remove a bit more moisture. A bit of salt & pepper in the
potatoes is acceptable but can just as easily be added to the mix as a
whole.

Finely minced green onions or shallots, crushed garlic, worsteshire
sauce, oregano, capers, finely minced or pureed celery or celery seed,
mustard, tarragon, lemon zest are good ingredients for fish cakes.

A 'ricer' is a good tool as it allows for a bit more evaporation of
moisture than simply mashing the potatoes.

Serve with a tartar sauce or an aioli, or pesto or even a nice tomato sauce.
---
JL
Old 09-04-2006, 06:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" wrote in message
oups.com...

Stan Horwitz wrote:
I am thinking that fish cakes might be a good way for me to include
more
fish into my diet. Does anyone have a good fish cake recipe that's low
in fat and calories that I should consider?

Fish cakes usually start with cooked fish and add things like mashed
potatoes, eggs and breadcrumbs. More often than not, they are then
fried, sometimes with a batter coating. So they're going to be higher
in fat and calories than the original fish, as a general rule. Is that
okay? -aem

This is our favorite.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Helen's Salmon Fish Cakes

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 4
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Main, Fish

-= Ingredients =-
1 Egg ; lightly beaten
1 cup Day-old seasoned mashed
Potatoes
-1 3/4 ounce Salmon ; drained and flaked
1 tablespoon Fresh lemon juice
1 d Hot sauce
1/8 teaspoon Paprika
1 teaspoon Very finely chopped onions
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/8 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup Dried bread crumbs
-COATING-
1 Egg ; beaten
1/2 cup Bread crumbs

-= Instructions =-
Combine one beaten egg with the potatoes, salmon, lemon juice, onions,
salt, black pepper, hot sauce and paprika in a mixing bowl. Mix gently
so as not to mash the salmon. Add about one-fourth cup of the bread
crumbs to the mixture and again mix gently. The mixture should be able
to hold together so that you can form the mixture into balls or patties.
Form the mixture into two-inch patties using metal icecream scoop as
measure. Dip the balls in the remaining beaten egg, and then dredge
them in the remaining one-half cup of bread crumbs. Chill the
croquettes in the rerfrigerator for at least one hour. Heat some oil in
a deep frying pan. fry fishcakes for about five minutes, or until they
are golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Makes six fishcakes.
May be kept warm in oven. Excellent! Recipe by H Peagram Note:
tried recipe using crab on 10/09/01 and I didn't like the results.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 75 Calories; 1g Fat (10.4% calories
from fat); 2g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg
Cholesterol; 1744mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0
Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Fat.Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

MoM

Old 09-04-2006, 06:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

CHI-MUM wrote:

This is our favorite.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Helen's Salmon Fish Cakes

Thanks, saved to file.
---
JL
Old 09-04-2006, 01:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Interesting that no one has mentioned salt cod. Around here fish cakes
= salt cod. My fish cakes have only 4 ingredients.

Salt cod
Potatoes -- boiled & mashed without adding anything
Onion (or green onion)
Pepper
Some folk add parsley.

Using salt cod of course requires bringing it back to an acceptable
level of saltiness. Done usually by soaking overnight (if using solid
cod) or by doing a bring to a boil/simmer/drain and repeating until
palatable.

Once cod has cooled, flake it (or put through the food processor). Mix
with potato, onion & pepper. Form into patties & fry in butter. Can
be rolled in flour first but it's not necessary.

That is normally my Ash Wednesday/Good Friday suppers.

Gabby