Ginny Sher

Default Request for carrot cake recipe

Hello again...

I would like to bake a carrot cake for a friend's anniversary. Any of
you have any tried and true recipes, including cream cheese frosting?
Also, I'd like to make it a layer cake rather than sheet cake, so I
would also need instructions about baking time if your recipe needs to
be converted.

Thanks very much,
Ginny
Damsel in dis Dress

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 19:16:34 -0800, Ginny Sher > wrote:

>I would like to bake a carrot cake for a friend's anniversary. Any of
>you have any tried and true recipes, including cream cheese frosting?
>Also, I'd like to make it a layer cake rather than sheet cake, so I
>would also need instructions about baking time if your recipe needs to
>be converted.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Carrot Cake

Recipe By amsel's Heirloom Recipes
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cakes

1 1/2 cups oil
2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
2 1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups raw carrots -- shredded
2 cups coconut -- flaked
1 cup pecans -- coarsely chopped
8 ounces pineapple -- crushed
--- Cream Cheese Frosting ---
3 ounces cream cheese -- softened
1/2 cup melted butter -- (2 sticks)
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
powdered sugar -- as needed

1. Combine all ingredients in order given, using wooden spoon.
2. Bake in greased and floured 9x13-inch pan at 350F for 50-60 minutes, or
until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool completely.
3. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 8176 Calories (kcal); 593g Total Fat; (63% calories from fat);
68g Protein; 685g Carbohydrate; 907mg Cholesterol; 6063mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 15 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 2 1/2
Fruit; 115 1/2 Fat; 27 Other Carbohydrates

Peter Aitken

"Ginny Sher" > wrote in message
> Hello again...
>
> I would like to bake a carrot cake for a friend's anniversary. Any of
> you have any tried and true recipes, including cream cheese frosting?
> Also, I'd like to make it a layer cake rather than sheet cake, so I
> would also need instructions about baking time if your recipe needs to
> be converted.
>
> Thanks very much,
> Ginny

You'll find what I think is an excellent recipe on my recipe page at:

http://www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

Look in the Baking section

--
Peter Aitken

Vox Humana

"Ginny Sher" > wrote in message
> Hello again...
>
> I would like to bake a carrot cake for a friend's anniversary. Any of
> you have any tried and true recipes, including cream cheese frosting?
> Also, I'd like to make it a layer cake rather than sheet cake, so I
> would also need instructions about baking time if your recipe needs to
> be converted.

This is the best carrot cake I have ever made. It is always very popular
and keeps wonderfully. In fact, I think it is best after sitting a day.

---------------------------------
Fantastic Pumpkin Carrot Cake (metric)

2 cups all-purpose flour (or 2 cup plus 2 Tbs. cake flour) (250 gm)

2 tsp. baking soda

2 tsp. ground cinnamon

1 tsp. allspice

1/2 tsp. salt

3/4 cup milk (183 gm.)*

1.5 tsp. lemon juice

1 tsp. vanilla

1.5 cups granulated sugar (300 gm)

1.25 cups Libby's Solid Pack Pumpkin (306 gm)

3 eggs (150 gm)

1/2 cup packed brown sugar (110 gm)

1/2 cup vegetable oil (109 gm)

1 cup (8-oz. can) crushed pineapple, drained (195 gm)

1 cup grated carrots (110 gm)

1 cup flaked coconut (74 gm)

1 cup raisins (145 gm)

1.25 cups chopped walnuts or pecans, divided (120 + 30 gm)

(* Note: you can substitute buttermilk for the sweet milk and lemon juice)

Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice and

salt in small bowl.

Combine milk, lemon juice, and vanilla in a small bowl and set aside.

Beat granulated sugar, pumpkin, eggs, brown sugar

and vegetable oil until combined. Beat in pine-

apple, carrots, milk mixture until combined.

Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in

Coconut, raisins, and 1 cup nuts. Pour into 2 greased

9-inch round cake pans.

Bake in preheated 350F oven for 30 to 35

minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean.

Cool in pans on wire racks for 15 minutes.

Remove to racks to cool completely.

Cream Cheese Frosting:

1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened

1 3 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened

3.5 cups powdered sugar

1 tsp. grated orange peel

2 Tsp. orange juice

1 tsp. vanilla

1/3 cup butter

remaining nuts to garnish.

Ginny Sher

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 18:29:53 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>"Ginny Sher" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Hello again...
>>
>> I would like to bake a carrot cake for a friend's anniversary. Any of
>> you have any tried and true recipes, including cream cheese frosting?
>> Also, I'd like to make it a layer cake rather than sheet cake, so I
>> would also need instructions about baking time if your recipe needs to
>> be converted.
>>
>> Thanks very much,
>> Ginny

>You'll find what I think is an excellent recipe on my recipe page at:
>
>http://www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm
>
>Look in the Baking section

Thank you, Peter. Can mace be substituted with nutmeg?

Ginny

Peter Aitken

"Ginny Sher" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 18:29:53 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Ginny Sher" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> Hello again...
>>>
>>> I would like to bake a carrot cake for a friend's anniversary. Any of
>>> you have any tried and true recipes, including cream cheese frosting?
>>> Also, I'd like to make it a layer cake rather than sheet cake, so I
>>> would also need instructions about baking time if your recipe needs to
>>> be converted.
>>>
>>> Thanks very much,
>>> Ginny

>>You'll find what I think is an excellent recipe on my recipe page at:
>>
>>http://www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm
>>
>>Look in the Baking section

> Thank you, Peter. Can mace be substituted with nutmeg?

I have not tried but I think it would work fine.

--
Peter Aitken

Jean B.

Ginny Sher wrote:

> Hello again...
>
> I would like to bake a carrot cake for a friend's anniversary. Any of
> you have any tried and true recipes, including cream cheese frosting?
> Also, I'd like to make it a layer cake rather than sheet cake, so I
> would also need instructions about baking time if your recipe needs to
> be converted.
>
> Thanks very much,
> Ginny

I thought I'd posted this before but see no evidence of that, so:

Carrot Cake (1 13x9-inch cake*)

I got the basic recipe from a coworker in the mid-70s. She got it
from Joan Jaqua, who, IIRC, is (or was?) her mom.

cake:
2 cups flours (I sometimes use half whole wheat flour)
2 tsps baking powder
1 1/2 tsps baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsps cinnamon
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups oil (I use 1/2 cup oil and 1 c applesauce, which I
think makes this even better!)
4 eggs
2 cups grated raw carrot
1 20-oz can crushed pineapple, drained (this = 1 2/3 c)
1 cup raisins (or a combination of raisins and currants)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans or walnuts)

frosting:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 tsp vanilla
1 pound confectioner's sugar, sifted

Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 13x9-inch pan and set aside.
Stir together flour(s), baking powder, baking soda, salt, and
cinnamon. Add sugar, applesauce (if using), oil, and eggs and mix
well. Stir in carrot, pineapple, raisins (and currants, if
using), and nuts. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 45-50
minutes or until the top springs back when touched lightly. Cool
and frost.
Frosting: Combine butter, cream cheese, and vanilla and beat
until well blended. Add sugar gradually, beating vigorously after
each addition.
*Can also do 2 8-inch-square cakes; if so, increase nuts to 1
cup)
Jean B. via rfc.

--
Jean B.
Ginny Sher

>Carrot Cake (1 13x9-inch cake*)
>
>I got the basic recipe from a coworker in the mid-70s. She got it
>from Joan Jaqua, who, IIRC, is (or was?) her mom.
>
>cake:
>2 cups flours (I sometimes use half whole wheat flour)
>2 tsps baking powder
>1 1/2 tsps baking soda
>1 tsp salt
>2 tsps cinnamon
>2 cups sugar
>1 1/2 cups oil (I use 1/2 cup oil and 1 c applesauce, which I
>think makes this even better!)
>4 eggs
>2 cups grated raw carrot
>1 20-oz can crushed pineapple, drained (this = 1 2/3 c)
>1 cup raisins (or a combination of raisins and currants)
>1/2 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans or walnuts)

(instructions and frosting recipe snipped)

Thank you, Jean. I've already made the carrot cake and it came out
great. However, I do like your suggestion of substituting some apple
sauce for all the oil that's typically found in a carrot cake recipe
and will try that next time.

Ginny