Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipe request (Carrot Cake)

Anyone have a good Carrot Cake recipe with no nuts they would care to share.

Grandma doesn't tolerate nuts too well.

TIA

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> Anyone have a good Carrot Cake recipe with no nuts they would care to
> share.
>
> Grandma doesn't tolerate nuts too well.
>
> TIA
>
> Dimitri

I just made this one:

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archive...arrot_cake.php

I made a couple of changes though. I didn't have any pineapple and I
used 1 cup of vegetable oil and a half cup of applesauce.
Just leave out the nuts.

I think the cake suffered from the lack of pineapple but it was still
good. Very dense. I also added raisins.

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
> Anyone have a good Carrot Cake recipe with no nuts they would care to
> share.
>
> Grandma doesn't tolerate nuts too well.
>
> TIA
>
> Dimitri

Right now I'm making a carrot cake a month to pay for the flames on my car.
This month I used this recipe and it was really, really good.

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/c...se_icing.p hp

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 10:44:32 -0700, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>Anyone have a good Carrot Cake recipe with no nuts they would care to share.
>
>Grandma doesn't tolerate nuts too well.
>
>TIA

If you can find the original recipe, Dimitri - it's Dole. I'm not
sure if they have it on their web site anymore. Too bad, isn't it?

Here's the recipe I use, not sure how true it is to the original but
it's pretty close (I began with the original). Nuts don't make or
break the cake, so just leave them out. Personally, I like nuts in it
so I use them... walnuts and pecans are my usual suspects. However,
my teeth are still good and I don't have nut allergies.

I love this recipe because it's basically dump and mix.

Carrot Cake

2C flour
2C sugar
3 eggs
1C oil
1 small can (?oz) crushed pineapple
1t baking soda
2t cinnamon
1t salt
2t vanilla
2C shredded carrots
2C chopped walnuts
1C raisins
1C coconut

Mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased and floured
rectangular cake pan (or 3 well buttered and floured 8 inch round cake
pans).

Bake at 350° for 55 minutes.

Frosting

4T soft butter
one 8 oz. package cream cheese (softened)
3C sifted powdered sugar
1t vanilla
1/2t lemon juice (optional)

Using a hand held beater, blend the butter and cream cheese together.
Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating until smooth and creamy.
Stir in the vanilla.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 15 Oct 2008 10:44:32a, Dimitri told us...

> Anyone have a good Carrot Cake recipe with no nuts they would care to
> share.
>
> Grandma doesn't tolerate nuts too well.
>
> TIA
>
> Dimitri

Here are two that I make, and I like them both. I don't think I've ever
seen a carrot cake recipe that didn't call for nuts, but leaving them out
will not impair either cake.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Andre Black's Carrot Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

3 large Eggs -- beaten
2 Cups Sugar*
1 Cup Vegetable Oil -- plus 2 tablespoons
2 Cups Cake Flour -- plus 1 tablespoon
1 1/8 Teaspoons Cinnamon
1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
1 Tablespoon Baking Soda
1 1/2 Cups Shredded Coconut Meat
2 Cups Carrots -- grated
1 Cup Crushed Pineapple -- plus 2 tablespoons, well-
drained
1 Cup Walnuts -- plus 2 tablespoons, crushed
1 Cup Raisins
---Frosting
1/2 Cup Butter -- softened
8 ounces Cream Cheese -- softened
1 Pound Confectioner's Sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour three 8 inch layer pans.

Combine eggs, sugar and oil. Beat on high speed until creamy and thick, 3-5
minutes.

Sift together flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Slowly add 1/3 of the
dry ingredients to egg mixture; beat well. Repeat with remaining dry
ingredients, beating well after each addition.

Batter will be extrememly stiff; it may be necessary to blend with a
spatula or spoon. One by one, fold in carrots, coconut, pineapple, walnuts
and raisins.

Divide batter between the 3 prepared cake pans. Bake at 350 dgrees F for
40-45 minutes, arranging cake pans in oven once.

The cake is done when the tester inserted in center comes out clean. Let
cake cool in pans 5 minutes. Turn out onto rack to cool completely.

When cakes are cool, prepare frosting: combine margarine, cream cheese,
sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Frost cake.

* Andre's original recipe, written in professional baking terms, calls for
6 oz beaten eggs, 15 1/2 oz of sugar, and 12 oz cake flour

* Exported from MasterCook *

A Plus Carrot Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
4 eggs
2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
2 cups grated carrots
1 can crushed pineapple -- (20 ounce) drained
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup raisins

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat a 10x15x2 inch
baking dish or 10 inch Bundt pan with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda,
salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside. In a separate larger bowl, mix
together the eggs, sugar and vanilla by hand. Stir in the oil; the mixture
should resemble pudding. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients, then fold
in the carrots, pineapple coconut, walnuts and raisins. Pour the batter
into the prepared pan, and spread evenly.

Bake for 55 to 60 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a small knife
inserted into the cake comes out clean.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 10(X)/15(XV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
3wks 5dys 3hrs 42mins
Cats, like butterflies, need no
excuse. -- Heinlein

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ms P wrote:

> Right now I'm making a carrot cake a month to pay for the flames on
> my car. This month I used this recipe and it was really, really good.
>
> http://www.canadianliving.com/food/c...se_icing.p hp
>
> Ms P

Thanks for the tip, Sweetie! I saved the recipe!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> GUEST wrote:
> Anyone have a good Carrot Cake recipe with no nuts they would care

to share.

> Grandma doesn't tolerate nuts too well.
>
> TIA
>
> Dimitri

Never tried carrot cake myself, my dad loes them
though, so will pass this on to him...he will be happy...