Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soaking Brown Beans

Yesterday early beofre noon I realized that I had forgotten to soak
brown beans overnight so they soaked for 7 hours before I cooked them.
I've haerd it is not just for tenderness but for extracting poison. Is 7
hours enough? My girlfirend had pain (retractions) in the interstines
later in the evening. We are thinking it is the beans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen wrote:
> Yesterday early beofre noon I realized that I had forgotten to soak
> brown beans overnight so they soaked for 7 hours before I cooked them.
> I've haerd it is not just for tenderness but for extracting poison. Is 7
> hours enough? My girlfirend had pain (retractions) in the interstines
> later in the evening. We are thinking it is the beans.

Do you know how to quick-soak? Most bean packages give directions for
it. You bring the beans and soaking water to a boil for 2 minutes, then
turn them off. Allow them to stand for an hour and voila! they're
soaked! Rinse them and cook happily!

I like this method better than the overnight soak anyways, and I;ve
never had any problems with eating the beans that way.

Never heard anything about poison in beans, though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
Peter Aitken
"Jude" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen wrote:
>> Yesterday early beofre noon I realized that I had forgotten to soak
>> brown beans overnight so they soaked for 7 hours before I cooked them.
>> I've haerd it is not just for tenderness but for extracting poison. Is 7
>> hours enough? My girlfirend had pain (retractions) in the interstines
>> later in the evening. We are thinking it is the beans.

> Do you know how to quick-soak? Most bean packages give directions for
> it. You bring the beans and soaking water to a boil for 2 minutes, then
> turn them off. Allow them to stand for an hour and voila! they're
> soaked! Rinse them and cook happily!
>
> I like this method better than the overnight soak anyways, and I;ve
> never had any problems with eating the beans that way.
>
> Never heard anything about poison in beans, though.

There's no need to soak beans at all. It just reduces cooking time. The
quick soak method you describe is supposed he help reduce the gas that beans
sometimes cause.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The older the beans, the longer it takes to soften them up for cooking. I
have never heard of any type of dried beans commonly used for human
consumption containing any poisons. Soaking to get rid of poisons sounds
like an old wives tale. Perhaps you should get a new girlfriend, this one
seems to be full of faecal mater.

Farmer John

"Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen" > wrote in
message ...

> Yesterday early beofre noon I realized that I had forgotten to soak brown
> beans overnight so they soaked for 7 hours before I cooked them. I've
> haerd it is not just for tenderness but for extracting poison. Is 7 hours
> enough? My girlfirend had pain (retractions) in the interstines later in
> the evening. We are thinking it is the beans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

fudge wrote:

> The older the beans, the longer it takes to soften them up for cooking. I
> have never heard of any type of dried beans commonly used for human
> consumption containing any poisons. Soaking to get rid of poisons sounds
> like an old wives tale. Perhaps you should get a new girlfriend, this one
> seems to be full of faecal mater.

Actually, lima and other beans contain toxins and other things that can
be harmful (hemaglutinins, trypsin inhibitors, etc., q.v.), and fava
beans can trigger "favism" (G6PD enzyme deficiency) in some people.
Research time...

Soaking is one way to minimize toxins.

And, as today's little know fact: Cicero, Roman heavyweight politician,
orator, statesman and stuff, has a name that means garbanzo bean. Well,
it really means chick pea from the Latin "cicer," but garbanzo sounds so
much cooler.

Pastorio

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 23 Mar 2006 01:52:17p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bob (this
one)?

> fudge wrote:
>
>> The older the beans, the longer it takes to soften them up for cooking.
>> I have never heard of any type of dried beans commonly used for human
>> consumption containing any poisons. Soaking to get rid of poisons
>> sounds like an old wives tale. Perhaps you should get a new girlfriend,
>> this one seems to be full of faecal mater.

> Actually, lima and other beans contain toxins and other things that can
> be harmful (hemaglutinins, trypsin inhibitors, etc., q.v.), and fava
> beans can trigger "favism" (G6PD enzyme deficiency) in some people.
> Research time...
>
> Soaking is one way to minimize toxins.
>
> And, as today's little know fact: Cicero, Roman heavyweight politician,
> orator, statesman and stuff, has a name that means garbanzo bean. Well,
> it really means chick pea from the Latin "cicer," but garbanzo sounds so
> much cooler.

Also known as cici beans.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gosh, I have been eating fava beans and all kinds of beans for many years
both fresh and dry with no ill effects. I never knew about the toxins.
Thanks!

f.j.

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> fudge wrote:
>
>> The older the beans, the longer it takes to soften them up for cooking. I
>> have never heard of any type of dried beans commonly used for human
>> consumption containing any poisons. Soaking to get rid of poisons sounds
>> like an old wives tale. Perhaps you should get a new girlfriend, this one
>> seems to be full of faecal mater.

> Actually, lima and other beans contain toxins and other things that can be
> harmful (hemaglutinins, trypsin inhibitors, etc., q.v.), and fava beans
> can trigger "favism" (G6PD enzyme deficiency) in some people. Research
> time...
>
> Soaking is one way to minimize toxins.
>
> And, as today's little know fact: Cicero, Roman heavyweight politician,
> orator, statesman and stuff, has a name that means garbanzo bean. Well, it
> really means chick pea from the Latin "cicer," but garbanzo sounds so much
> cooler.
>
> Pastorio

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-23, fudge > wrote:

> both fresh and dry with no ill effects. I never knew about the toxins.

Toxic to unsuspecting bystanders.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 23 Mar 2006 01:52:17p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bob (this
> one)?
>

>>fudge wrote:
>>

>>>The older the beans, the longer it takes to soften them up for cooking.
>>>I have never heard of any type of dried beans commonly used for human
>>>consumption containing any poisons. Soaking to get rid of poisons
>>>sounds like an old wives tale. Perhaps you should get a new girlfriend,
>>>this one seems to be full of faecal mater.

>>Actually, lima and other beans contain toxins and other things that can
>>be harmful (hemaglutinins, trypsin inhibitors, etc., q.v.), and fava
>>beans can trigger "favism" (G6PD enzyme deficiency) in some people.
>>Research time...
>>
>>Soaking is one way to minimize toxins.
>>
>>And, as today's little know fact: Cicero, Roman heavyweight politician,
>>orator, statesman and stuff, has a name that means garbanzo bean. Well,
>>it really means chick pea from the Latin "cicer," but garbanzo sounds so
>>much cooler.

> Also known as cici beans.

Exactly.

It's funny how it goes down in the dialect chaos that is Italy and how
it evolved in the U.S. My northern Italian grandparents called them ceci
(cheh-chee). The Sicilians called them cicere (chee-cheh-reh). Second
generation all called them cici-beans (chee-chee).

Soaking beans? In most cases, you don't need to Travis McGee General Cooking 29 21-10-2014 06:48 PM
Soaking Northern Beans Kathy Johnson General Cooking 26 15-06-2013 03:50 AM
Beans Soaking Chart The Ranger[_7_] General Cooking 9 16-03-2009 04:49 AM
Soaking Beans M Jones General Cooking 15 04-02-2005 03:34 PM
Soaking beans? Erica General Cooking 37 25-09-2004 10:42 AM