Erica

Default Soaking beans?

Hey,

As I was soaking a pot of pinto beans, I wondered...is this really
necessary? Is there any real reason to soak beans before cooking them?

Thanks for any help.

--Erica
Christine

"Erica" > wrote in message
om...
> Hey,
>
> As I was soaking a pot of pinto beans, I wondered...is this really
> necessary? Is there any real reason to soak beans before cooking them?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> --Erica

From what I've heard it's not really necessary. Cuts down on the cooking
time slightly, but not necessary.

I use the quick start method (more than likely a waste of time, I do it out
of habit). I put the sorted and rinsed beans in a pot, bring them to a
boil, then simmer for about 2 minutes. Then I put the lid on and let them
sit for an hour.

Chris in Pearland, TX

PENMART01

>(Erica)
>
>As I was soaking a pot of pinto beans, I wondered...is this really
>necessary? Is there any real reason to soak beans before cooking them?

Saves cooking time, also helps significantly in removing the fart fairies.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>(Erica)
>
>As I was soaking a pot of pinto beans, I wondered...is this really
>necessary? Is there any real reason to soak beans before cooking them?

Saves cooking time, also helps significantly in removing the fart fairies.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Richard Periut

Christine wrote:
> "Erica" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>Hey,
>>
>>As I was soaking a pot of pinto beans, I wondered...is this really
>>necessary? Is there any real reason to soak beans before cooking them?
>>
>>Thanks for any help.
>>
>>--Erica

> From what I've heard it's not really necessary. Cuts down on the cooking
> time slightly, but not necessary.
>
> I use the quick start method (more than likely a waste of time, I do it out
> of habit). I put the sorted and rinsed beans in a pot, bring them to a
> boil, then simmer for about 2 minutes. Then I put the lid on and let them
> sit for an hour.
>
> Chris in Pearland, TX

I find a pressure cooker does a fine job, with the exception of boston
baked beans which are to be cooked very slowly.

Rich

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero

Richard Periut

Christine wrote:
> "Erica" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>Hey,
>>
>>As I was soaking a pot of pinto beans, I wondered...is this really
>>necessary? Is there any real reason to soak beans before cooking them?
>>
>>Thanks for any help.
>>
>>--Erica

> From what I've heard it's not really necessary. Cuts down on the cooking
> time slightly, but not necessary.
>
> I use the quick start method (more than likely a waste of time, I do it out
> of habit). I put the sorted and rinsed beans in a pot, bring them to a
> boil, then simmer for about 2 minutes. Then I put the lid on and let them
> sit for an hour.
>
> Chris in Pearland, TX

I find a pressure cooker does a fine job, with the exception of boston
baked beans which are to be cooked very slowly.

Rich

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero

Alan Connor

On 16 Sep 2004 14:46:19 -0700, Erica >
wrote:

> Hey,
>
> As I was soaking a pot of pinto beans, I wondered...is this
> really necessary? Is there any real reason to soak beans before
> cooking them?

If you just cook them (*most* of them), they will be mush before
they are done, severely over-cooked.

You can put them in cold water, bring it to a boil, remove from
heat and let sit covered for an hour, then cook...But it is
better to soak them for 8+ hours.

AC

Alan Connor

wrote:

> Hey,
>
> As I was soaking a pot of pinto beans, I wondered...is this
> really necessary? Is there any real reason to soak beans before
> cooking them?

If you just cook them (*most* of them), they will be mush before
they are done, severely over-cooked.

You can put them in cold water, bring it to a boil, remove from
heat and let sit covered for an hour, then cook...But it is
better to soak them for 8+ hours.

AC

Steve Calvin

Christine wrote:

> "Erica" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>Hey,
>>
>>As I was soaking a pot of pinto beans, I wondered...is this really
>>necessary? Is there any real reason to soak beans before cooking them?
>>
>>Thanks for any help.
>>
>>--Erica

> From what I've heard it's not really necessary. Cuts down on the cooking
> time slightly, but not necessary.
>
> I use the quick start method (more than likely a waste of time, I do it out
> of habit). I put the sorted and rinsed beans in a pot, bring them to a
> boil, then simmer for about 2 minutes. Then I put the lid on and let them
> sit for an hour.
>
> Chris in Pearland, TX

I always soak mine overnight in cold water. Probably more habit than
anything. I did try the quick method once and the beans didn't seem
to hold together as well. Maybe it was the beans though, I don't know.

I also add a pinch of baking soda to the water. My grandmother swore
that it helped take the "after fragrance" out of 'em.

--
Steve

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

Steve Calvin

Christine wrote:

> "Erica" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>Hey,
>>
>>As I was soaking a pot of pinto beans, I wondered...is this really
>>necessary? Is there any real reason to soak beans before cooking them?
>>
>>Thanks for any help.
>>
>>--Erica

> From what I've heard it's not really necessary. Cuts down on the cooking
> time slightly, but not necessary.
>
> I use the quick start method (more than likely a waste of time, I do it out
> of habit). I put the sorted and rinsed beans in a pot, bring them to a
> boil, then simmer for about 2 minutes. Then I put the lid on and let them
> sit for an hour.
>
> Chris in Pearland, TX

I always soak mine overnight in cold water. Probably more habit than
anything. I did try the quick method once and the beans didn't seem
to hold together as well. Maybe it was the beans though, I don't know.

I also add a pinch of baking soda to the water. My grandmother swore
that it helped take the "after fragrance" out of 'em.

--
Steve

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

Bob (this one)

Alan Connor wrote:

> On 16 Sep 2004 14:46:19 -0700, Erica >
> wrote:
>
>>Hey,
>>
>>As I was soaking a pot of pinto beans, I wondered...is this
>>really necessary? Is there any real reason to soak beans before
>>cooking them?
>>

> If you just cook them (*most* of them), they will be mush before
> they are done, severely over-cooked.

Could you be more profoundly ignorant of culinary matters?

Rhetorical question...

If they're mush, they're overdone. Why didn't you stop cooking them
before they reached that condition? How can they be mush and *not* be
done? You make even less sense about beans than about your silly vegan
prattle...

> You can put them in cold water, bring it to a boil, remove from
> heat and let sit covered for an hour, then cook...But it is
> better to soak them for 8+ hours.

Soaking and changing the water a couple times can reduce the
oligosaccharide content a bit and that will slightly reduce gassiness.
Soaking will reduce cooking time slightly. Having said that, if they
aren't premium issues, don't even bother.

Put them in a pot with water to cover by at least two inches, low
medium heat to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and leave them alone
for an appropriate amount of time ranging from less than an hour for
lentils to 4 or more hours for dried fava beans. Add seasonings (but
be light on acids and salt until into the cooking) right up front.
About 1/2 way through the cooking time, add salt and and whatever
other flavoring agents you want.

Russ Parsons (LATimes) did a lot of research about the subject and
came to these conclusions. We did the same sorts of experiments in my
restaurants and agree with him.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Alan Connor wrote:

> On 16 Sep 2004 14:46:19 -0700, Erica >
> wrote:
>
>>Hey,
>>
>>As I was soaking a pot of pinto beans, I wondered...is this
>>really necessary? Is there any real reason to soak beans before
>>cooking them?
>>

> If you just cook them (*most* of them), they will be mush before
> they are done, severely over-cooked.

Could you be more profoundly ignorant of culinary matters?

Rhetorical question...

If they're mush, they're overdone. Why didn't you stop cooking them
before they reached that condition? How can they be mush and *not* be
done? You make even less sense about beans than about your silly vegan
prattle...

> You can put them in cold water, bring it to a boil, remove from
> heat and let sit covered for an hour, then cook...But it is
> better to soak them for 8+ hours.

Soaking and changing the water a couple times can reduce the
oligosaccharide content a bit and that will slightly reduce gassiness.
Soaking will reduce cooking time slightly. Having said that, if they
aren't premium issues, don't even bother.

Put them in a pot with water to cover by at least two inches, low
medium heat to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and leave them alone
for an appropriate amount of time ranging from less than an hour for
lentils to 4 or more hours for dried fava beans. Add seasonings (but
be light on acids and salt until into the cooking) right up front.
About 1/2 way through the cooking time, add salt and and whatever
other flavoring agents you want.

Russ Parsons (LATimes) did a lot of research about the subject and
came to these conclusions. We did the same sorts of experiments in my
restaurants and agree with him.

Pastorio

Alan Connor

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 23:03:50 GMT, Alan Connor >
wrote:

> On 16 Sep 2004 14:46:19 -0700, Erica >
> wrote:
>

>> Hey,
>>
>> As I was soaking a pot of pinto beans, I wondered...is this
>> really necessary? Is there any real reason to soak beans
>> before cooking them?

> If you just cook them (*most* of them), they will be mush
> before they are done, severely over-cooked.
>
> You can put them in cold water, bring it to a boil, remove from
> heat and let sit covered for an hour, then cook...But it is
> better to soak them for 8+ hours.
>
> AC

Hi Bob. I dumped your post without reading it.

Like I said I would.

**** off, you mean and willfully ignorant bigot.

Done.

AC

Bob (this one)

Alan Connor wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 23:03:50 GMT, Alan Connor >
> wrote:
>
>>On 16 Sep 2004 14:46:19 -0700, Erica >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Hey,
>>>
>>>As I was soaking a pot of pinto beans, I wondered...is this
>>>really necessary? Is there any real reason to soak beans
>>>before cooking them?

>>If you just cook them (*most* of them), they will be mush
>>before they are done, severely over-cooked.
>>
>>You can put them in cold water, bring it to a boil, remove from
>>heat and let sit covered for an hour, then cook...But it is
>>better to soak them for 8+ hours.
>>
>>AC
>>

> Hi Bob. I dumped your post without reading it.

And I note you cut it out completely. How did you know which part was
mine without looking at it? I bet you have a snazzy color-coded setup
where you could kinda squint your eyes so no words would actually
register, just the colors. Delete everything that's my color.
Astonishingly clever. Devlishly brilliant. Fool.

I'm crushed. There's actually one person on earth who won't read my
post. Shithead. <LOL>

> Like I said I would.

<LOL> I have met very few people as proud of their ignorance and who
work so desperately hard to maintain the level. Sap.

I thought you said you were killfiling me. Then how... I mean, how
could you... I'm so confused... could it be you didn't...? ****wit.

> **** off, you mean and willfully ignorant bigot.

Hilarious. I'm mean. How will I ever live with myself...? I'll have to
shave in the mirror with my back turned toward it so I don't look
myself in the eye. Bonehead.

The wit, the depth of rebuttal, the facts piled on facts... well, I
mean who could withstand such an onslaught of science, logic, clarity
and skillful expression. Blowhole.

Pastorio

Peter Aitken

"Erica" > wrote in message
om...
> Hey,
>
> As I was soaking a pot of pinto beans, I wondered...is this really
> necessary? Is there any real reason to soak beans before cooking them?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> --Erica

Nope - all it does is shorten the cooking time. If you boil dry beans
briefly and let sit in the hot water for a while it is supposed to lessen
the gas-generating effects. See my kitchen myths page at
http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm for this and other myths.

Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Erica" > wrote in message
om...
> Hey,
>
> As I was soaking a pot of pinto beans, I wondered...is this really
> necessary? Is there any real reason to soak beans before cooking them?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> --Erica

Nope - all it does is shorten the cooking time. If you boil dry beans
briefly and let sit in the hot water for a while it is supposed to lessen
the gas-generating effects. See my kitchen myths page at
http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm for this and other myths.

Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> Alan Connor wrote:
>
> > On 16 Sep 2004 14:46:19 -0700, Erica >
> > wrote:
> >
> >>Hey,
> >>
> >>As I was soaking a pot of pinto beans, I wondered...is this
> >>really necessary? Is there any real reason to soak beans before
> >>cooking them?
> >>

> > If you just cook them (*most* of them), they will be mush before
> > they are done, severely over-cooked.

> Could you be more profoundly ignorant of culinary matters?

I bet he is working on it!

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> Alan Connor wrote:
>
> > On 16 Sep 2004 14:46:19 -0700, Erica >
> > wrote:
> >
> >>Hey,
> >>
> >>As I was soaking a pot of pinto beans, I wondered...is this
> >>really necessary? Is there any real reason to soak beans before
> >>cooking them?
> >>

> > If you just cook them (*most* of them), they will be mush before
> > they are done, severely over-cooked.

> Could you be more profoundly ignorant of culinary matters?

I bet he is working on it!

--
Peter Aitken

PENMART01

>"Peter Aitken"
>
>>"Erica" wrote
>>
>> As I was soaking a pot of pinto beans, I wondered...is this really
>> necessary? Is there any real reason to soak beans before cooking them?

>Nope - all it does is shorten the cooking time. If you boil dry beans
>briefly and let sit in the hot water for a while it is supposed to lessen
>the gas-generating effects.

Um, yoose gots to drain the soaking water (it will contain a goodly portion of
the fart fairies) and cook in fresh water.

>See my kitchen myths page at
>http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm for this and other myths.

Yeah, right... essentially plagerized BULLSHIT.

For the real deal, all you need to know about beans...

http://www.americanbean.org

Cooking Dry-Packaged Beans

"Hot soaking helps dissolve some of the gas-causing substances, making the
beans easier to digest. Drain soaking water and rinse beans; cook in fresh
water. In general, beans take 30 minutes to 2 hours to cook depending on
variety. Check bean packaging for specific cooking times and instructions.
Spice up beans while they cook. Seasonings such as garlic, onion, oregano,
parsley or thyme can be added to the pot while beans are cooking. Add acidic
ingredients, such as tomatoes, vinegar, wine or citrus juices, only at end of
cooking, when the beans are tender.
Add salt only after beans are cooked to tender. If added before, salt may cause
bean skins to become impermeable, halting the tenderizing process.
To test for doneness, bite-taste a few beans. They should be tender, but not
overcooked. When cooling, keep beans in cooking liquid to prevent them from
drying out."
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>"Peter Aitken"
>
>>"Erica" wrote
>>
>> As I was soaking a pot of pinto beans, I wondered...is this really
>> necessary? Is there any real reason to soak beans before cooking them?

>Nope - all it does is shorten the cooking time. If you boil dry beans
>briefly and let sit in the hot water for a while it is supposed to lessen
>the gas-generating effects.

Um, yoose gots to drain the soaking water (it will contain a goodly portion of
the fart fairies) and cook in fresh water.

>See my kitchen myths page at
>http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm for this and other myths.

Yeah, right... essentially plagerized BULLSHIT.

For the real deal, all you need to know about beans...

http://www.americanbean.org

Cooking Dry-Packaged Beans

"Hot soaking helps dissolve some of the gas-causing substances, making the
beans easier to digest. Drain soaking water and rinse beans; cook in fresh
water. In general, beans take 30 minutes to 2 hours to cook depending on
variety. Check bean packaging for specific cooking times and instructions.
Spice up beans while they cook. Seasonings such as garlic, onion, oregano,
parsley or thyme can be added to the pot while beans are cooking. Add acidic
ingredients, such as tomatoes, vinegar, wine or citrus juices, only at end of
cooking, when the beans are tender.
Add salt only after beans are cooked to tender. If added before, salt may cause
bean skins to become impermeable, halting the tenderizing process.
To test for doneness, bite-taste a few beans. They should be tender, but not
overcooked. When cooling, keep beans in cooking liquid to prevent them from
drying out."
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Julia Altshuler

Erica wrote:
> Hey,
>
> As I was soaking a pot of pinto beans, I wondered...is this really
> necessary? Is there any real reason to soak beans before cooking them?
>
> Thanks for any help.

In another life, I ran a macrobiotic catering business. I cooked beans
several times a week for years. I tried every method there is. I never
found a significant difference in the final result EXCEPT for starting
with fresher beans and the cooking liquid.

Use plain unsalted water, not vegetable stock, not tomato juice, not
with lots of vegetables in it, not vinegar, absolutely no salt or tamari
or other flavors. All that can be added later after the beans are
cooked to the desired tenderness.

Shop for beans from a store that has a good turnover on them. For me,
that meant the big supermarket, not the small, specialty, health food
store. Older beans can still be used, but they take longer to cook by
several hours.

With those 2 caveats, the boiling method is up to you and what you find
most convenient. Pre-soaking will shorten the cooking time but lengthen
the planning time. I decided I preferred not pre-soaking. Pressure
cookers shorten the cooking time too, but they took fussing with lids
and special equipment and needed to be kept a closer eye on. I decided
I liked a regular pot with a lid which I could stir every time I walked
by.

You can bring the beans and water to a boil, then turn off the heat or
bring them to a boil and lower to a simmer, or bring to a boil and cook
them at a fairly fast boil. The only important point is to keep
stirring them enough so they don't burn and stick to the bottom of the
pot. My preference is for the boil-then-simmer method, but that means I
had heat I could adjust. If you've got a stove with 2 settings of high
and off, you can do well with bring to a boil, then turn off until it
cools a little, then boil again, etc.

As for desired tenderness, I like them cooked until splitting, the
texture for soups or dip. If you watch them carefully, you can see when
they're just about to split and get them off the heat then. That's
right for bean salads.

--Lia

Julia Altshuler

Erica wrote:
> Hey,
>
> As I was soaking a pot of pinto beans, I wondered...is this really
> necessary? Is there any real reason to soak beans before cooking them?
>
> Thanks for any help.

In another life, I ran a macrobiotic catering business. I cooked beans
several times a week for years. I tried every method there is. I never
found a significant difference in the final result EXCEPT for starting
with fresher beans and the cooking liquid.

Use plain unsalted water, not vegetable stock, not tomato juice, not
with lots of vegetables in it, not vinegar, absolutely no salt or tamari
or other flavors. All that can be added later after the beans are
cooked to the desired tenderness.

Shop for beans from a store that has a good turnover on them. For me,
that meant the big supermarket, not the small, specialty, health food
store. Older beans can still be used, but they take longer to cook by
several hours.

With those 2 caveats, the boiling method is up to you and what you find
most convenient. Pre-soaking will shorten the cooking time but lengthen
the planning time. I decided I preferred not pre-soaking. Pressure
cookers shorten the cooking time too, but they took fussing with lids
and special equipment and needed to be kept a closer eye on. I decided
I liked a regular pot with a lid which I could stir every time I walked
by.

You can bring the beans and water to a boil, then turn off the heat or
bring them to a boil and lower to a simmer, or bring to a boil and cook
them at a fairly fast boil. The only important point is to keep
stirring them enough so they don't burn and stick to the bottom of the
pot. My preference is for the boil-then-simmer method, but that means I
had heat I could adjust. If you've got a stove with 2 settings of high
and off, you can do well with bring to a boil, then turn off until it
cools a little, then boil again, etc.

As for desired tenderness, I like them cooked until splitting, the
texture for soups or dip. If you watch them carefully, you can see when
they're just about to split and get them off the heat then. That's
right for bean salads.

--Lia

Julia Altshuler

Erica wrote:
> Hey,
>
> As I was soaking a pot of pinto beans, I wondered...is this really
> necessary? Is there any real reason to soak beans before cooking them?
>
> Thanks for any help.

In another life, I ran a macrobiotic catering business. I cooked beans
several times a week for years. I tried every method there is. I never
found a significant difference in the final result EXCEPT for starting
with fresher beans and the cooking liquid.

Use plain unsalted water, not vegetable stock, not tomato juice, not
with lots of vegetables in it, not vinegar, absolutely no salt or tamari
or other flavors. All that can be added later after the beans are
cooked to the desired tenderness.

Shop for beans from a store that has a good turnover on them. For me,
that meant the big supermarket, not the small, specialty, health food
store. Older beans can still be used, but they take longer to cook by
several hours.

With those 2 caveats, the boiling method is up to you and what you find
most convenient. Pre-soaking will shorten the cooking time but lengthen
the planning time. I decided I preferred not pre-soaking. Pressure
cookers shorten the cooking time too, but they took fussing with lids
and special equipment and needed to be kept a closer eye on. I decided
I liked a regular pot with a lid which I could stir every time I walked
by.

You can bring the beans and water to a boil, then turn off the heat or
bring them to a boil and lower to a simmer, or bring to a boil and cook
them at a fairly fast boil. The only important point is to keep
stirring them enough so they don't burn and stick to the bottom of the
pot. My preference is for the boil-then-simmer method, but that means I
had heat I could adjust. If you've got a stove with 2 settings of high
and off, you can do well with bring to a boil, then turn off until it
cools a little, then boil again, etc.

As for desired tenderness, I like them cooked until splitting, the
texture for soups or dip. If you watch them carefully, you can see when
they're just about to split and get them off the heat then. That's
right for bean salads.

--Lia

Bob (this one)

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Erica wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> As I was soaking a pot of pinto beans, I wondered...is this really
>> necessary? Is there any real reason to soak beans before cooking them?
>>
>> Thanks for any help.

> In another life, I ran a macrobiotic catering business. I cooked beans
> several times a week for years. I tried every method there is. I never
> found a significant difference in the final result EXCEPT for starting
> with fresher beans and the cooking liquid.

In my restaurants, we did test after test and came to essentially the
same conclusions. We bought beans from wholesalers all of whom had
dated packages. Makes it easier tom keep track of freshness.

> Use plain unsalted water, not vegetable stock, not tomato juice, not
> with lots of vegetables in it, not vinegar, absolutely no salt or tamari
> or other flavors. All that can be added later after the beans are
> cooked to the desired tenderness.

I don't agree. I find that I can create a better flavor profile if
some seasoned liquid is absorbed by the beans. Salt and acids will
affect texture and cooking times, but virtually anything else will add
to the finished flavor of the beans. I'll also say I like the beans to
be firm which means a shorter cook time. Means that flavors added at
the end don't penetrate as much. Personal tastes.

> Shop for beans from a store that has a good turnover on them. For me,
> that meant the big supermarket, not the small, specialty, health food
> store. Older beans can still be used, but they take longer to cook by
> several hours.

Agreed. The rehydration rates of beans seems to vary directly with age.

> With those 2 caveats, the boiling method is up to you and what you find
> most convenient. Pre-soaking will shorten the cooking time but lengthen
> the planning time. I decided I preferred not pre-soaking. Pressure
> cookers shorten the cooking time too, but they took fussing with lids
> and special equipment and needed to be kept a closer eye on. I decided
> I liked a regular pot with a lid which I could stir every time I walked by.

Mostly, I agree with this. The difference is that if I have to cook a
lot of beans, the pressure cooker makes batches easier and you can put
any flavorings in there you want including salt and acids and it'll work.

> You can bring the beans and water to a boil, then turn off the heat or
> bring them to a boil and lower to a simmer, or bring to a boil and cook
> them at a fairly fast boil. The only important point is to keep
> stirring them enough so they don't burn and stick to the bottom of the
> pot. My preference is for the boil-then-simmer method, but that means I
> had heat I could adjust. If you've got a stove with 2 settings of high
> and off, you can do well with bring to a boil, then turn off until it
> cools a little, then boil again, etc.
>

> As for desired tenderness, I like them cooked until splitting, the
> texture for soups or dip. If you watch them carefully, you can see when
> they're just about to split and get them off the heat then. That's
> right for bean salads.

That splitting criterion is what I learned in a chef training seminar.
The test the instructor advocated was to pick up a few beans in a
spoon, drain them and blow on them. If the skins split open, they're
done. Works for me. Can't don it in a pressure cooker, so it has to be
by time. If they're not completely done, it's just a matter of
bringing them back to a simmer and finishing it that way. Still cuts
hours off the cook time.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> [...]

> had heat I could adjust. If you've got a stove with 2 settings of high
> and off, you can do well with bring to a boil, then turn off until it
> cools a little, then boil again, etc.
>

> As for desired tenderness, I like them cooked until splitting, the
> texture for soups or dip. If you watch them carefully, you can see when
> they're just about to split and get them off the heat then. That's
> right for bean salads.

That splitting criterion is what I learned in a chef training seminar.
The test the instructor advocated was to pick up a few beans in a
spoon, drain them and blow on them. If the skins split open, they're
done. Works for me. Can't don it in a pressure cooker, so it has to be
by time. If they're not completely done, it's just a matter of
bringing them back to a simmer and finishing it that way. Still cuts

Julia Altshuler

Bob (this one) wrote:

I find that I can create a better flavor profile if some
> seasoned liquid is absorbed by the beans. Salt and acids will affect
> texture and cooking times, but virtually anything else will add to the
> finished flavor of the beans. I'll also say I like the beans to be firm
> which means a shorter cook time. Means that flavors added at the end
> don't penetrate as much. Personal tastes.

I never thought I'd get interested in this again, but you've gotten me
curious. What seasoned liquid are you thinking of that gets absorbed by
the beans, isn't salt or acid, and is strong enough to add flavor? I'm
thinking herbs and spices, but they've always been strongest when added
at the last minute.

For the original poster, there's something else I should mention about
cooking times, and that's the size of the bean. For a quick soup, use
lentils or split peas. They're small and cook more quickly. You have
to keep an eye on them more since the bottom of the pan is more likely
to burn, but you can add the vegetables (onions, carrots, celery) with
the lentils from the start since they'll cook quickly anyway. Red beans
are larger. They take longer. For red beans and rice, count on letting
them simmer for several hours.

The test for doneness I learned was to take out a single bean, blow on
it to let it cool, then place it in your mouth and attempt to split it
with your tongue on the roof of your mouth. Don't chew; teeth are too
strong. If you can split it with just your tongue, it is the right
doneness for salads.

--Lia

Bob (this one)

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Bob (this one) wrote:
>
> I find that I can create a better flavor profile if some
>> seasoned liquid is absorbed by the beans. Salt and acids will affect
>> texture and cooking times, but virtually anything else will add to the
>> finished flavor of the beans. I'll also say I like the beans to be
>> firm which means a shorter cook time. Means that flavors added at the
>> end don't penetrate as much. Personal tastes.

> I never thought I'd get interested in this again, but you've gotten me
> curious. What seasoned liquid are you thinking of that gets absorbed by
> the beans, isn't salt or acid,

Beans swell because they're absorbing the cooking liquid. We're not
shooting for *no* salt or acid, just keeping it down in the early part
of the cook. I usually step up both as the cook proceeds.

If you simmer dried garlic, ginger, nutmeg in stocks and cook beans in
the liquid, it'll penetrate the bean and provide a good bit of flavor.
Likewise dried orange peel and lemon peel. A mirepoix in the stock
while the beans are cooking (tied in cheesecloth to make it easy to
remove it) will add flavor. A goodly dollop of bacon fat added to the
stock will most surely add flavor.

Salt can keep beans more firm than most people like it added at the
beginning *to levels that are sufficient to do that.* The level will
vary from bean to bean. A little will merely be seasoning. Same for
acids. The other thing they'll do is change the colors of dark beans.
Black beans become red with vinegar in the mix.

Look at recipes for Cuban-style black beans and see how much stuff is
added to the beans as they cook. Some salt and a good bit of acid.

> and is strong enough to add flavor? I'm
> thinking herbs and spices, but they've always been strongest when added
> at the last minute.
>
> For the original poster, there's something else I should mention about
> cooking times, and that's the size of the bean. For a quick soup, use
> lentils or split peas. They're small and cook more quickly. You have
> to keep an eye on them more since the bottom of the pan is more likely
> to burn, but you can add the vegetables (onions, carrots, celery) with
> the lentils from the start since they'll cook quickly anyway. Red beans
> are larger. They take longer. For red beans and rice, count on letting
> them simmer for several hours.
>
> The test for doneness I learned was to take out a single bean, blow on
> it to let it cool, then place it in your mouth and attempt to split it
> with your tongue on the roof of your mouth. Don't chew; teeth are too
> strong. If you can split it with just your tongue, it is the right
> doneness for salads.

Haven't heard that one. Sounds fine to me. All depends on how you like
the beans. I'll also say that I like different textures for different
dishes. Black beans and yellow rice means soft beans for me. Beans
served with chili means firm beans.

And don't get me started on oven-baked beans... <G>

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> [...]

> to burn, but you can add the vegetables (onions, carrots, celery) with
> the lentils from the start since they'll cook quickly anyway. Red beans
> are larger. They take longer. For red beans and rice, count on letting
> them simmer for several hours.
>
> The test for doneness I learned was to take out a single bean, blow on
> it to let it cool, then place it in your mouth and attempt to split it
> with your tongue on the roof of your mouth. Don't chew; teeth are too
> strong. If you can split it with just your tongue, it is the right
> doneness for salads.

Haven't heard that one. Sounds fine to me. All depends on how you like
the beans. I'll also say that I like different textures for different
dishes. Black beans and yellow rice means soft beans for me. Beans
served with chili means firm beans.

And don't get me started on oven-baked beans... <G>

Bob (this one)

> :>>As I was soaking a pot of pinto beans, I wondered...is this
> :>>really necessary? Is there any real reason to soak beans before
> :>>cooking them? :>> :> If you just cook them (*most* of them),
> they will be mush before :> they are done, severely over-cooked.
>
> : Could you be more profoundly ignorant of culinary matters?
>
> : Rhetorical question...
>
> : If they're mush, they're overdone. Why didn't you stop cooking
> them : before they reached that condition? How can they be mush and
> *not* be : done? You make even less sense about beans than about
> your silly vegan : prattle...
>
> Mr.
is the one showing his profound ignorance of
> culinary matters here.

<LOL> All those years of professional culinary training, owning and
running (and cooking in) restaurants, writing well over 1000 published
articles, researching and writing encyclopedia entries, doing a
call-in radio program about food and cooking since the 80's, reading
literally thousands of food-related books, teaching cooking classes to
amateurs and pros, producing several lines of packaged foods, and
consulting with large and small commercial food-producing companies
are for naught. I still suffer from "profound ignorance." <LOL> I'm
only glad that
is here to set my obviously
untoward thinking aright.

> The OUTSIDE portion of the beans turn to mush before the insides
> have even softened. That's how they can be mush but not done! Bob's
> obviously meager brain tissue apparently can't comprehend this.
> This is a problem when cooking dried beans at high altitudes or
> when using old beans. Presoaking will help the situation.

Oh thank you for some brilliant non-information, bonehead. Right up
there with the vegan balloonhead nonsense.

In my five decades of cooking beans at home and in a lengthy string of
restaurants (mine and others I ran) using virtually every method I've
ever heard about to cook literally tons of beans, not once - NOT ONCE
- have I ever encountered this condition. I lived in New Jersey at sea
level and now live in mountains at height and have cooked in both
locations; no beans with mushy outsides. Never have I ever seen this
mentioned in any cookbook; never on any package of beans; never heard
it from any other professional chef; never seen it mentioned in any
online forum; not one article I've ever read about beans mentions it.
No food science book I know of says anything about beans partially
overcooking because they're not soaked. Russ Parsons did extensive
research about cooking beans and never mentioned this "problem." He
did say that soaking was unnecessary, however, after many tests.
Harold McGee says it's not necessary but a short soak (4 hours) helps
reduce cooking time.

In short, you have no support from anyone knowledgeable and seem to
have made up that silly "problem" or got it from some woo-woo new age
macrobiotic guru who thinks stuff like microwaves steal the vibrations
of the universe from food. Back to the sandbox with you, Zippy, and
stick to your correct league. The OUTSIDE of your IQ turned to mush
before the insides even developed.

Bob

Bob (this one)

> [...]

: online forum; not one article I've ever read about beans mentions it.
: No food science book I know of says anything about beans partially
: overcooking because they're not soaked. Russ Parsons did extensive
: research about cooking beans and never mentioned this "problem." He
: did say that soaking was unnecessary, however, after many tests.
: Harold McGee says it's not necessary but a short soak (4 hours) helps
: reduce cooking time.

: In short, you have no support from anyone knowledgeable and seem to
: have made up that silly "problem" or got it from some woo-woo new age
: macrobiotic guru who thinks stuff like microwaves steal the vibrations
: of the universe from food. Back to the sandbox with you, Zippy, and
: stick to your correct league. The OUTSIDE of your IQ turned to mush

Incredible. Because you've never personally experienced something,
you claim it can't happen. You sir, are truly a moron. Since I've
had it happen to me several times, I obviously have more cooking
experience than you, but I don't go touting it (perhaps even inventing
it?) like a pompous ass.

PENMART01

Apparently you've not hoid the term "Pontificating *IGNORANT* _WOP *******_".

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>:> The OUTSIDE portion of the beans turn to mush before the insides
>:> have even softened. That's how they can be mush but not done! Bob's
>:> obviously meager brain tissue apparently can't comprehend this.
>:> This is a problem when cooking dried beans at high altitudes or
>:> when using old beans. Presoaking will help the situation.
>
>: Oh thank you for some brilliant non-information, bonehead. Right up
>: there with the vegan balloonhead nonsense.
>
>: In my five decades of cooking beans at home and in a lengthy string of
>: restaurants (mine and others I ran) using virtually every method I've
>: ever heard about to cook literally tons of beans, not once - NOT ONCE
>: - have I ever encountered this condition. I lived in New Jersey at sea
>: level and now live in mountains at height and have cooked in both
>: locations; no beans with mushy outsides. Never have I ever seen this
>: mentioned in any cookbook; never on any package of beans; never heard
>: it from any other professional chef; never seen it mentioned in any
>: online forum; not one article I've ever read about beans mentions it.
>: No food science book I know of says anything about beans partially
>: overcooking because they're not soaked. Russ Parsons did extensive
>: research about cooking beans and never mentioned this "problem." He
>: did say that soaking was unnecessary, however, after many tests.
>: Harold McGee says it's not necessary but a short soak (4 hours) helps
>: reduce cooking time.
>
>: In short, you have no support from anyone knowledgeable and seem to
>: have made up that silly "problem" or got it from some woo-woo new age
>: macrobiotic guru who thinks stuff like microwaves steal the vibrations
>: of the universe from food. Back to the sandbox with you, Zippy, and
>: stick to your correct league. The OUTSIDE of your IQ turned to mush
>: before the insides even developed.
>
>: Bob
>

>Incredible. Because you've never personally experienced something,
>you claim it can't happen. You sir, are truly a moron. Since I've
>had it happen to me several times, I obviously have more cooking
>experience than you, but I don't go touting it (perhaps even inventing
>it?) like a pompous ass.

Apparently you've not hoid the term "Pontificating *IGNORANT* _WOP *******_".

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Bob (this one)

> :> The OUTSIDE portion of the beans turn to mush before the insides
> :> have even softened. That's how they can be mush but not done! Bob's
> :> obviously meager brain tissue apparently can't comprehend this.
> :> This is a problem when cooking dried beans at high altitudes or
> :> when using old beans. Presoaking will help the situation.
>
> : Oh thank you for some brilliant non-information, bonehead. Right up
> : there with the vegan balloonhead nonsense.
>
> : In my five decades of cooking beans at home and in a lengthy string of
> : restaurants (mine and others I ran) using virtually every method I've
> : ever heard about to cook literally tons of beans, not once - NOT ONCE
> : - have I ever encountered this condition. I lived in New Jersey at sea
> : level and now live in mountains at height and have cooked in both
> : locations; no beans with mushy outsides. Never have I ever seen this
> : mentioned in any cookbook; never on any package of beans; never heard
> : it from any other professional chef; never seen it mentioned in any
> : online forum; not one article I've ever read about beans mentions it.
> : No food science book I know of says anything about beans partially
> : overcooking because they're not soaked. Russ Parsons did extensive
> : research about cooking beans and never mentioned this "problem." He
> : did say that soaking was unnecessary, however, after many tests.
> : Harold McGee says it's not necessary but a short soak (4 hours) helps
> : reduce cooking time.
>
> : In short, you have no support from anyone knowledgeable and seem to
> : have made up that silly "problem" or got it from some woo-woo new age
> : macrobiotic guru who thinks stuff like microwaves steal the vibrations
> : of the universe from food. Back to the sandbox with you, Zippy, and
> : stick to your correct league. The OUTSIDE of your IQ turned to mush
> : before the insides even developed.
>
> : Bob
>

> Incredible. Because you've never personally experienced something,
> you claim it can't happen.

<LOL> Perhaps you missed the references I offered above (unlike
yourself there, Sparky). The names of people who can be checked
online. Like I can be. Did Russ Parsons get past you? Harold McGee? Do
you have even the remotest idea who they are?

Because you can uniquely screw up food as no one else can, it's an
axiomatic condition?

> You sir, are truly a moron.

Right. You can't read or reason and I'm a moron. Nice work, logic-boy.

> Since I've
> had it happen to me several times, I obviously have more cooking
> experience than you,

<LOL> Lovely. You've screwed up food more than I have so it reflects
well on you. Brilliant logic. And it proves you have more experience
than I do. You ruin beans in a way that no other authority has and
somehow that's a testimonial to your cooking skills and culinary
depth. Bwah...

I had my first restaurant job in 1953 when I was 12. How about you,
blowhole?

> but I don't go touting it

Could you possibly be more dense. This sentence we're in the middle of
says (in a startling burst of non sequitur perfection), "...I
obviously have more cooking experience than you, but I don't go
touting it." <LOL> Looks like a bit of a tout to me, however hilarious.

> (perhaps even inventing it?) like a pompous ass.

Nice try. Do a bit of googling before you decide to make yourself look
this stupid. On second though, never mind. Makes it so much easier to
dismiss you. For being stupid, uninformed, illogical and did I mention
stupid?

Read up on a subject before offering this sort of ignorant idiocy.
There are too many knowledgeable people here who can disassemble your
uninformed bleating effortlessly. Can't fool the folks. Word from a
dear, dear friend.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)